Richland WA Facility

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

orcannis1 in Seattle, Washington

63 months ago

My parent was admitted before the facility change to Brookdale. It was then called Alterra. We had great care those first years. Since the name change and it appears company change, staff is ill prepared (isn't there a registered training program?) several issues of dropping have occured, long waits for staff to reply to the call button (upwards of 20 minutes)food is almost unedible (I have been there to see and experience first hand)LOTS of turnover and in some cases, refusal to help get the parent out of bed, refusal of help because of health issues (can't help because my back hurts)the room is never clean. It is so frustrating. Am looking at a new facility as parent is unhappy, unhealthy and unsafe. Any insight would be grealy appreicated. At this point, I am looking into the records to see what they say and looking at inspection reports from the state.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Doogie in San Diego, California

63 months ago

I used to work for Alterra before it changed over to Brookdale. We were thrown into trainings the Brookdale way. The menus were changed to reflect Brookdale. There were turnovers and lots of training. It took a long time for the caregivers to answer the call buttons. Sometimes they don't. I've seen it happen. I wasn't a caregiver, but I've always checked the residents when they needed help. Not all Brookdale facilities are inadequate. It's just a few that are. No parents should be treated such as yours. When you're checking for new facilities make a surprise visit during meal time. The staff won't have tine to window dress. Look for signs of neglect (stains on carpets, urine odor). Talk with the caregivers. See how they treat the residents. Don't let the sales person sweet talk you into signing the contract. If you find a facility that's decent find out about respite service and have your parent take a test drive for a few days. I've seen residents being made fun of, women residents wearing garished makeup inappropriate for their ages, hair up in pigtails. This was in a Brookdale facility. I no longer work for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

JusSomGurl in Portland, Oregon

60 months ago

orcannis1 in Seattle, Washington said: My parent was admitted before the facility change to Brookdale. It was then called Alterra. We had great care those first years. Since the name change and it appears company change, staff is ill prepared (isn't there a registered training program?) several issues of dropping have occured, long waits for staff to reply to the call button (upwards of 20 minutes)food is almost unedible (I have been there to see and experience first hand)LOTS of turnover and in some cases, refusal to help get the parent out of bed, refusal of help because of health issues (can't help because my back hurts)the room is never clean. It is so frustrating. Am looking at a new facility as parent is unhappy, unhealthy and unsafe. Any insight would be grealy appreicated. At this point, I am looking into the records to see what they say and looking at inspection reports from the state.

I used to work for Brookdale as an Executive Director. I quit because I did not feel their policies were conducive to the resident's best interest. If you have any questions about the organization, please do not hesitate to contact me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

orcannis1 in Seattle, Washington

60 months ago

I have been trying to bring up the Times article but it won't happen. If you could give me the name of the article, maybe I can find it that way.
Alterra/Brookdale is without an ED again. Hope the transition is better this time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

orcannis1 in Seattle, Washington said: I have been trying to bring up the Times article but it won't happen. If you could give me the name of the article, maybe I can find it that way.
Alterra/Brookdale is without an ED again. Hope the transition is better this time.

You left? The name is: Better Than a Nursing Home? If you put it in the search bar on the www.time.com website, it will be the second article down. I hope this helps.

yogadancer in Seattle, Washington

59 months ago

JusSomGurl in Portland, Oregon said: You left? The name is: Better Than a Nursing Home? If you put it in the search bar on the www.time.com website, it will be the second article down. I hope this helps.

I would appreciate information about Alterra.
I live in Seattle and my mother is going to go there for awhile.

59 months ago

Sure. What information would you like? If you want, I can email you directly with details about the facility she'll be at (if you don't want to post it here).

Have you checked previous survey records, contacted the DOH regarding complaints, gone there on off-hours to see what's going on? Once I get more information, I can send you detailed data.

As for Alterra, they were bought by Brookdale Senior Living a couple years ago. They are very large and run out of Milwaukee. I believe they have over 500 facility's in the US with over 35,000 employees.

Whatever info you need, let me know, I will get it for you. What's your email?

yogadancer in Seattle, Washington said: I would appreciate information about Alterra.
I live in Seattle and my mother is going to go there for awhile.

Marilyn in Washington in Kennewick, Washington

58 months ago

orcannis1 in Seattle, Washington said: My parent was admitted before the facility change to Brookdale. It was then called Alterra. We had great care those first years. Since the name change and it appears company change, staff is ill prepared (isn't there a registered training program?) several issues of dropping have occured, long waits for staff to reply to the call button (upwards of 20 minutes)food is almost unedible (I have been there to see and experience first hand)LOTS of turnover and in some cases, refusal to help get the parent out of bed, refusal of help because of health issues (can't help because my back hurts)the room is never clean. It is so frustrating. Am looking at a new facility as parent is unhappy, unhealthy and unsafe. Any insight would be grealy appreicated. At this point, I am looking into the records to see what they say and looking at inspection reports from the state.

Hi,

I work in Richland at a place called Richland Gardens. I'm an LPN. I've been there since January. They've had their issues (as they all have), but after some staff turnovers and corrections they are doing very well keeping their residents happy and well-fed. You should check them out. You need to ask for Ricky. I am not a representative for the company other than someone who can direct you to a place that may work for your loved one. I hope this email helps. God bless. :)

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.