How to get a job at Brookdale Senior Living.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (40)

Host

Do you work at Brookdale Senior Living? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

sandi in Broomfield, Colorado

95 months ago

I am an NHA in Denver, and have tried to get in this corp. Understand they are re-organizing now, so may never get opportnity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Chrissa in Nashville, Tennessee

94 months ago

Worked at a facility that was bought from Brookdale, pay average,benefits especially medical sucks BAD! management was ok...But I never got used to the idea of non-licensed people giving meds esp. narcotics seems scary for me when im the only licensed person on the shift at the time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ann in Fort Worth, Texas

94 months ago

did you ever get used to being the only license in the building,and are they holding you responsible for anything that happens there? also, are all assisted livings that way?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jbill1818@yahoo.com in Kennesaw, Georgia

93 months ago

ann in Fort Worth, Texas said: did you ever get used to being the only license in the building,and are they holding you responsible for anything that happens there? also, are all assisted livings that way?

I'm in Marietta, Ga. Yes, in the assisted living's here, the CNA's pass the meds including narcotics. I don't train every CNA on my staff, as I feel that some of them aren't capable. My impression is yes, the medication passers are working under my license. It is scary. I predict that in the next few years, the state regs. will have to be changed regarding the medications.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anny in Jacksonville, Florida

91 months ago

sandi in Broomfield, Colorado said: I am an NHA in Denver, and have tried to get in this corp. Understand they are re-organizing now, so may never get opportnity.

Do not waste your time on them. That is unless you don't care about your license.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

quality in lakewood, Colorado

91 months ago

anny in Jacksonville, Florida said: Do not waste your time on them. That is unless you don't care about your license.

Tell me more???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

ann in Fort Worth, Texas said: did you ever get used to being the only license in the building,and are they holding you responsible for anything that happens there? also, are all assisted livings that way?

NO, you should not have been held responsible for everything in the building.

QMAP staff are responsible for medications, they are certified.

The executive director holds the responsibility for the facility.

I have consulted AL, they are not all like this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chrissa in Nashville, Tennessee

90 months ago

the AL I worked at had care associates that were not certified and had little or no medical experience at all they are taught by the nurses and signed off to give meds including narcotics, Most have no understanding of side effects or even know what medicine they are giving besides the name most times.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Chrissa in Nashville, Tennessee said: the AL I worked at had care associates that were not certified and had little or no medical experience at all they are taught by the nurses and signed off to give meds including narcotics, Most have no understanding of side effects or even know what medicine they are giving besides the name most times.

Here in colorado they have to go through a training program, pass a test, then are certified. If they need help, ask questions, and in having reference books, or be able to ask the Nurse, or Administrator about any issues.

However, must always observe, look at the mars, the books, to see if everything is signed off, watch the residents complaints, etc:.

With the shortage of nurses, there probably won't be any changes to this in the future, and it will be o.k. as long as the staff that are hired, are trained. With regular in-services, a staff that are not afraid to ask questions, daily reports, meetings, a good nurse who follows up, on everything, and a good executive director to help support your work, as a team, it should be o.k.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

cindy in Jacksonville, Florida

90 months ago

please continue searching, i worked at (cypress village) brooksdale, i was overworked from day one, lots of promises, but no action, after 120 days of this, i resigned with notice, i know feel relief.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Leeann in Dallas, Texas

90 months ago

In Texas we use Cert. Med Aide's. I have supported AL communities from a regional level in 4 company's in 8 states. It is the model to have CMA's or designated staff to pass meds. In Texas, regs do not require a nurse to be on staff in AL. Circumstances and company policy dictate who accepts final responsibility for med errors. In my experience, the system works. As the nurse you just have to be choosey about who you designate and only put the min. number of aids in these roles.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

joe in Bartlesville, Oklahoma

90 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Brookdale Senior Living? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

i would look for another company if i were you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rob in Victor, New York

90 months ago

Brookdale is NOT a good comapny to work for. I was with them a year and a half and would never work for them again. Would advise you all do the same. Many promises made but never kept to both residents and staff.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lori in Tampa, Florida

90 months ago

If you like to be MICRO-managed to DEATH then Brookdale is the company for YOU!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Winston Salem, North Carolina

89 months ago

joe in Bartlesville, Oklahoma said: i would look for another company if i were you!

I agree. Look elsewhere!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Howard hughes in Charlotte, North Carolina

89 months ago

quality in lakewood, Colorado said: NO, you should not have been held responsible for everything in the building.

QMAP staff are responsible for medications, they are certified.

The executive director holds the responsibility for the facility.

I have consulted AL, they are not all like this.

In North Carolina YOU as a RN are responable for Med errors or bad assessment of pt's EVEN if passed by a med tech or NA, and you WILL loose you license and get sued in Most cases. I do my OWN assessments and med passes... I worked my ass of to get my RN and degree...aint worth a $20.00 a hour job to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

missakush in Saint Petersburg, Florida

88 months ago

I am looking at a sales position with Brookdale in NC. Any words of advise? I know no job is perfect, but how would you rate Brookdale on a scale of 1-10. Benefits? PTO time? Bonuses? expenses? management? Since Brookdale bought American Retirement, has there been many changes?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bev in McClean, Virginia

88 months ago

missakush in Saint Petersburg, Florida said: I am looking at a sales position with Brookdale in NC. Any words of advise? I know no job is perfect, but how would you rate Brookdale on a scale of 1-10. Benefits? PTO time? Bonuses? expenses? management? Since Brookdale bought American Retirement, has there been many changes?

I am in the interview process now. I can tell they are all feeling the stress of change and growth. As I understand, Jan '08 they are moving to the realignment phase of the mergers, right now, they are still operating as 3 companies. They are preparing for this now with the addition of some cooperate roles - I take that as a good sign of support. The people I have met have been great, sometimes very slow to get back to me. I was told that in the sales role that there are goals which are different for each building and each sales person, mostly you are judged by producation. The bonus structure improves with each move-in and there is a high occuapancy bonus as well.

Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

George Smith in Palm Coast, Florida

88 months ago

Brookdale is not customer freindly, they have personal plans and contracts that set up to take advantage of families at the worst possible time when they are in the most need and have the least amount of money. They should lay out the costs to the families up front and try to help them meet any increases or help them transition out if they can't afford the steap increases. They are very cold and tell the family over and over tht it is a business and this is the cost like it or not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

George Smith in Palm Coast, Florida

88 months ago

Any family considering Brookdale should think about what their needs will be two and three years down the road and will they be able to afford the extreme increases that will be levied over night with no debate or say in how much will be paid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lee65 in Florida

86 months ago

Lori in Tampa, Florida said: If you like to be MICRO-managed to DEATH then Brookdale is the company for YOU!!

MICRO MANAGED yes.. that is until a crisis hits and they all run and hide!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

honesttruth1

84 months ago

benfits are cut every year. very hugh inurance costs. They care about residnets but never about staff. Brookdale sets the standard for micromanagemnt, expecially in sales and dining services. absolutely no positive feedbak ever given
and the worst compant ever for communication

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

honesttruth1

84 months ago

missakush in Saint Petersburg, Florida said: I am looking at a sales position with Brookdale in NC. Any words of advise? I know no job is perfect, but how would you rate Brookdale on a scale of 1-10. Benefits? PTO time? Bonuses? expenses? management? Since Brookdale bought American Retirement, has there been many changes?

everything has changed. Try Hyatt Classic residence or Senior lifestyle corporation

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nannette in Ponca City, Oklahoma

84 months ago

Have applied to be a customer sales rep but haven't agreed to the offer yet. What should I be aware of?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Shel in Venice, Florida

83 months ago

I currently work as a sales rep for Brookdale Senior Living and love both my job and the company. The market is really tough right now, but I can say, with 100% honesty, that the regional support staff are completely supportive. We truly work as a team. I hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

R.A. in Denver, Colorado

82 months ago

I used to work for this company. I was a Resident Assistant. I worked overnight - full time here, in Denver. The LPN was sleeping all night long, and got real upset if a resident asked for help. Usually I had to run and take care of all the 3 floors (69 residents), answering emergency calls, taking care of the laundry: washing, drying, folding and delivering. Once I was done with the laundry, I had to clean after her. She made $ 25 per hour, I got 9.00. There was no break during the overnight shift. I loved my residents, I cared for them but I could not put up with this LPN, her behavior. She did not know how to turn a helpless person in her bed. I did. The building was un-safe, doors are un-lockable, only two person for 69 residents overnight. Morning shift never showed up on time. I had another full (day) time job, plus college. For the day time job I had to clock in at 8. If the team does not play as a team, it is hopeless. The manager had a favorite team, what ever they told her, she ate it. The morning team did not start to check on residents until 8 or 9. Guess what, they got wet. The afternoon shift broke the emergency device, did not report it. After poorly fixing it, they placed it far away from the resident`s bed. I did not know about this since they did not write it in our communication - log - book. I checked on the resident though every two hours, she was okay. Next day they wrote me up for breaking the device. It was enough. I did not even get a chance to defende myself. The guy who did it, was laughing in to my face. He says, it is life. No, it is not. I resigned and they were asking me to stay. Just another thing: as a Resident Assistant, without any health education as a background, I feel like I did everything I could. I was done with everything by the time the morning shift finally showed up. I would not recommend this place as a job, disorganized. The one that works there for 2 years calls herself a LEAD CAREGIVER. Yeah.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Doogie in Glendale, Arizona

78 months ago

Been there, done that. I agree with most of the posters. There's a lot of micromanaging within the residence. Training needs to be improved for the caregivers. I've seen some caregivers lift residents improperly. I've heard them yell at the residents. There are caregivers who sexually harassed the male coworkers and male residents. The boss knows about it but does nothing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

The med techs are trained by a nurse. Most of them are careful passing out meds. A few make mistakes, ie, administering double dosages by mistake, giving wrong meds.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

John Andrews in Levittown, Pennsylvania

78 months ago

I would avoid working here

This is a company in crisis, up to its ears in debt at the worst possible time for the industry. Insiders selling lots of stock, creditors are going to pull the plug on this one soon and then it will be game over.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Run, don't walk away from Brookdale. It's official now. I no longer work for Brookdale. After ten years of hard work and loyalty I was given the boot. This was done over the phone and not face-to-face. I will miss the residents and some of the caregivers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jenny lea in Durham, North Carolina

77 months ago

what is Brookdale's sexual harrassment policy? I've been trying to find it online and it's no where to be seen! My boss has obviously crossed the line one too many times and I need to know what my rights are and what I can do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

jenny lea in Durham, North Carolina said: what is Brookdale's sexual harrassment policy? I've been trying to find it online and it's no where to be seen! My boss has obviously crossed the line one too many times and I need to know what my rights are and what I can do.

Were you given a handbook after they hired you? It covers sexual harassment. You can phone human resources and let them know what happened. It'll be hard because it's your word against his. It would be better if there were witnesses to what your boss said or did to you or to the other employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mr Deeds in Miami, Florida

57 months ago

Terrible place to work for. It is how you are treated that determines the outcome of your experience. My experience was most definitely not the best. I cannot speak for the masses; just my own experience. If you can work to please and leave the attitude at the door, you will be fine. Leave every day with your best interests in mind. Control those things that you can control. I have worked for very respectable organizations in the past. Community management were very respectable and helpful...designed properly to do the job with respect and integrity. With the pressure due to numbers and feeding the pockets of the top folks, you will be under the gun. Look for non-profit based AL/IL companies...this is where I had the best of luck.

Sue in Columbia, Tennessee

48 months ago

I would say don't waste your time applying. Yes, they are the leading senior living provider in the US. That doesn't mean your job will be great. In fact, it's just the opposite. They preach culture and that all associates care about the residents first and foremost. And there are definitely people who do. However, there are also people who will stab you in the back to get ahead. And forget about it if someone doesn't like you. There is no firm hiring process, so you can totally get screwed over if someone has a bad attitude about you. I can tell you this; I've worked there and was very respected and well liked. It took two people turning on me and making me the outcast of the employees, and I couldn't ever get a promotion. It's all about who you know there, and if they don't like you, you may as well just quit and look for a new job. That's what I did, and I'm MUCH HAPPIER. The benefits and PTO is horrible enough, you don't need to be treated like an outcast at work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

bobby7 in Columbia, South Carolina

37 months ago

I agree with Sue to some extent. I too worked at Brookdale for a few years and was horribly micromanaged in one position, but in another was fairly respected. The main issue with this company is the fact that they are so BIG and top heavy that each region is very delineated from the next. "Siloing" is a big problem with this company and it's very difficult for the most part to find support when there are so many layers of people before you can get an answer on anything. It is possible that you may be lucky enough to work in a region that is efficient and doesn't micromanage too much, but for the most part everyone I've spoken with says it's a tough place to work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

sandi in Broomfield, Colorado said: I am an NHA in Denver, and have tried to get in this corp. Understand they are re-organizing now, so may never get opportnity.

No one with any experience needs to be micromanaged. This is not the company for me!!

37 months ago

Looks to me, what they need is to be closed down by the State. There is no excuse for what is happening in those communities and the people who put their trust in this company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

GladToBeOutOfBSL in Horsham, Pennsylvania

21 months ago

Look for another company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

chaplainneal@gmail.com in El Cajon, California

21 months ago

I love BROOKDALE SENIOR LIVING and have plenty of professional references, and families I met that are so happy with the services that Brookdale offered.
I was an Activity Coordinator for a memory unit in Kansas. Best years of my life,
and fell in love with the staff, marketing/sales, directors, residents, family, and volunteers...I miss it so much. FYI, usually people post when they are unhappy...I am here today praying I can work for them again!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.