How to get a job at CIGNA.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 87 of 87)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

Oceans11 in Aliso Viejo, California

76 months ago

Great points Patience, Cigna is not a place that's going to hire you sight unseen or hire you after one interview with a local manager. There management & hiring definitely has more of a "back east" style unlike west coast counter parts which are a little more relaxed. Patience, the mental attitude that you WANT to work there makes all the difference in the world to them.

Patience paid off in Phoenix, Arizona said: Cigna is a huge corporation and not all Cigna locations and opportunities are the same or go through the same process. I can only speak to mine which I started this year. I had a phone screening by the HR person and then went in for several interviews with different people in different departments. As long as you are going in it is a positive thing and they still have interest. It is important to be patient if you really want a position with them because sometimes there are hiring dates for groups of employees and it is not your hired, start Monday but could takes a few weeks. One thing I can say is that they are not just looking for someone to do a job they are looking for someone they can invest in with training and who will continue to grow with the company so although your experience or education may get you to the interview it is your value given the above which will get you the position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

In my mind the biggest reason there's such an involved process on being hired with Cigna is that they invest so much money on new hires with training. If you're not being hired at the Bloomfield office most likely you're going to be doing some traveling just to get trained & that's a lot of time & money invested in you. Therefore they really try & weed out the people who they feel is only their for the short haul. If I had to guess I'd say with salary, travel, lodging & incidentals that go along with training, Cigna has probably spent a good $40k - $45k just to get me trained & up to speed. That's a huuuuuge investment & could be a costly one on someone who's only there for a year or 2 or worst a few months!! So I understand the panel style interviews.

For those who think it's just a complete waste of a few hours then you obviously didn't work in the banking industry & haven't gone through with a lot of financial professionals have gone through in the past year to year & 1/2. Believe me a couple of interviews & a few hours out of my life to land an almost parallel position is well worth it, especially being out of work for 8 months!!

Patience paid off in Phoenix, Arizona said: I came in after a take over and the only observation I can make is that the people who were stuck in the old world and could not assimulate are slowly going away. However, the people who showed they are team players and continued to work toward the changes into the Cigna world had great opportunity. The best thing you can do is take a bunch of the Cigna University classes which help you understand the culture and attach yourself to any Cigna folks who come in to help with the changes. Destiny is in your hands.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ShipBuff in Enfield, Connecticut

76 months ago

Does CIGNA HR want cover letters when they are not specifically requested in job "how to apply" section? There is an area to upload cover letters within their page interface for applicants, but they make it hard to determine what contact to address it to. No contact is listed in the job description.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

ShipBuff in Enfield, Connecticut said: Does CIGNA HR want cover letters when they are not specifically requested in job "how to apply" section? There is an area to upload cover letters within their page interface for applicants, but they make it hard to determine what contact to address it to. No contact is listed in the job description.

Good question & to be honest I'm not sure, but when in doubt, go above & beyond & send the cover letter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

etexhopeful in Sherman, Texas

75 months ago

After applying on-line for a Customer Service position, I received an e-mail asking me to schedule a phone interview. When I clicked on the link they provided to schedule that interview, it only showed my information: name, address, etc. Nowhere was there a place to schedule any interview.

Does anyone know what this is about? And what is the next thing I should do??

Thanks for any info you might care to share.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

I have a telephone interview with CIGNA next week. Can anyone tell me what sort of questions they will ask? I would like to be as prepared as I can.

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

etexhopeful in Sherman, Texas said: I have a telephone interview with CIGNA next week. Can anyone tell me what sort of questions they will ask? I would like to be as prepared as I can.

Thanks!

Sure, but it sort of depends on what job you're interviewing for but they ask the standard old style corporate questions like
1. How would you handle a stressful situation at work
2. How would you handle a co-worker who is aggressive
3. Have you ever had a situation at your previous or current job where you had to complete a task without your supervisors approval. What did you do?
4. Describe the last time you had to work OT & how long was it for?

Stuff like that, don't quote me on the above but it's sort of it that ballpark.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

My interview is for a Customer Service position (at Cigna)

Thank you so VERY MUCH for your kind reply. It helped a lot!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

You bet. Good luck!!

75 months ago

Don't be surprised if you have several interviews in one sitting or they may say we'll follow up with more phone interviews. That's a good thing most of the time though!

lynne in Richardson, Texas

69 months ago

MICHAEL LADD in Nashville, Tennessee said: I called them got a voice mail and they never called me back I called 3 - 4 times and when I finnally got a hold of them said the classes and job been filled.

Not my fault that there never in. Very unprofessional. They had a claims job but thats not I applied for. I have 15+ years in customer service and was a senior medical underwriter for 5+ years. I am more than qualified. I have a marketing degree and ton's of experience.

I live In nashville Tn.

I went to there orientation and passed everything with flying colors.

Lost me. I was appying for the Sr customer service opening thay had in Nashville TN.

Lost me on this company. I need to start my own business. I blow away the competition.

O well,
Michael Ladd

Learn to spell and use the correct word. For example "there" does not substitute for "their."I do not find it hard to understand why they did not call you back. I count at least 7 mistakes in the above note you wrote.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

unaffiliated at all in Warminster, Pennsylvania said: As you read all these replies, note the spelling errors and horrible grammar. Almost all the posts complaining about not hearing anything, have several obvious errors; and even in writing, show their negative attitudes.
The people who do, or have worked for them in the past, are much more professional. They don't have all the spelling errors. They use full sentences, and proper punctuation and grammar.
Seriously, check yourself. Usually the first person to blame for a bad experience is yourself.

I totally agree!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

MICHAEL LADD in Nashville, Tennessee said: I called them got a voice mail and they never called me back I called 3 - 4 times and when I finnally got a hold of them said the classes and job been filled.

Not my fault that there never in. Very unprofessional. They had a claims job but thats not I applied for. I have 15+ years in customer service and was a senior medical underwriter for 5+ years. I am more than qualified. I have a marketing degree and ton's of experience.

I live In nashville Tn.

I went to there orientation and passed everything with flying colors.

Lost me. I was appying for the Sr customer service opening thay had in Nashville TN.

Lost me on this company. I need to start my own business. I blow away the competition.

O well,
Michael Ladd

Learn to use the correct word. There does not substitute for their. I count at least seven errors in your post. I would not consider you either.

69 months ago

I agree with you. It is not a minor mistake.

Cheryl in Elizabeth, Colorado

65 months ago

brew in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I just quit Cigna last friday. It is a cheap and cold company. There is little room for growth and it fosters a back stabbing environment. You are lucky you did not hear from them.

Where did you send your resume? So far after spending almost an hour on the phone and talking to over 9 people, the last person I spoke to said I had to submit my resume online, in fact she said that is how they have to do it internally. I live in Colorado and I know they keep posting several jobs for the position I am interested in but I need a way in the door. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheryl in Elizabeth, Colorado

65 months ago

Where do you send a resume to apply for a job in Colorado? So far after spending almost an hour on the phone and talking to over 9 people, the last person I spoke to said I had to submit my resume online, in fact she said that is how they have to do it internally. I live in Colorado and I know they keep posting several jobs for the position and location I am interested in but I need a way in the door. Any help would be appreciated.

Oceans11 in South OC, California

65 months ago

La_Princesa in Illinois said: I hate when people use the wrong form of there, their or they're.

Correct form:
There is a car on the street.
I think their car is on the street.
They're going to move their car off the street.

Not intended to anyone specifically but my pet peeve.

Haha!! I do that all the time. Also with to & too

Are you going to the store?
I'm going too.

I think that's how it's suppose to work! LOL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

They just had a minor lay off in their Orange County, Ca branch. I believe they let all their SBS people go & some of their Middle Market too so I don't know where the shift in volume will go but my guess is Phoenix.

I actually liked the company a lot when I was there, it's definitely different than the banking world, a little stiffer but friendly nonetheless.

newstarter in New Orleans, Louisiana

62 months ago

I just had a phone interview with Cigna for a short term disability claims processor and I was wondering how do you know if you have passed that interview

62 months ago

newstarter in New Orleans, Louisiana said: I just had a phone interview with Cigna for a short term disability claims processor and I was wondering how do you know if you have passed that interview

They'll call you.

62 months ago

Cigna just announced they will be hiring quite a few Customer Service Associates the end of August. Anyone with experience in this area should submit their application asap. From personal experience: Good computer skills are a must. Apply on-line. Have a professional-looking resume. Make certain it is correct to the day- they check. If you're on drugs..don't bother- they check. They will want near perfection in both the spoken and written word. Regardless of your skills, if hired, there will be a lot to learn in a very short period of time. You will be challenged to the limits of your abilities and beyond. The work is not easy- but it can also be very rewarding. I'm thankful every day for being given the chance. Good luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Professional in Middletown, Connecticut

45 months ago

CIGNA is a joke! They have some serious staffing and turnover issues there! more importantly they have roles definition and long term hiring problems over there. Their HR department alone is notorious for not following up with candidates, abruptly canceling posted jobs (in multiple departments from project management, Claims, Analysis, IT, Quality etc), outsourcing long term projects to temporary contractors (irony) and simply really taking a lax approach in the HR area. I have never worked for CIGNA (full disclosure) and I don't ever intend to as many colleagues that have been through that organization have nothing good to say about their hiring practices.
Your best bet if you're looking for a career in the industry is to look at Travelers or Aetna (they are well grounded and every colleague in the field that I know has been there an average 12 years). Now I've been in this industry for a long time and I will tell you this, when there are inconsistencies with the HR of an organization that usually alludes to a much larger problem.
I would definitely stay away from this company if I'm looking to make a long term career in the industry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Robert in Middletown, Connecticut

45 months ago

yes Cigna is not worth trying to build a career at....and in the poster above's words this place is a joke! I was employed there, been let go, and then asked to come back and this all happened over a 13 month period. I just accepted a full time position with a competitor and bidding my final two weeks here. Surely not worth it in my opinion.....the HR folks there are not only clueless but also very unprofessional. Poor/little or no follow ups, poor resource allocation or even job titles relative to job descriptions, revolving door, terrible hiring / onboarding practices. They even have tens of staffing companies wasting peoples time calling every professional out in the field for the same jobs over while their internal people call the SAME people for those jobs.
I'd stay FAR FAR away from this folks and if a Cigna recruiter contacts you (or even a staffing firm) I won't recommend you let them waste your time....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ynotpray in Dayton, Tennessee

44 months ago

anonymous said: Not like average employers, CIGNA wants to recruit and retain the very best employees. If you have solid skills and/or qualifications and strong communications skills, you stand a fair shot at an interview. Give it your all and chances are someone will consider you for a position now or in the future.

Good luck!

- A CIGNA employee

I have very good qualifications and I am a quick learner. I am thinking about applying for the Cigna claims processor associate. They are having a 12 week training class. This would be a drive for me, I worked for the past 13 years 2 blocks from home. I know you can't tell what salaries are, but I wish I could get an idea, so I will know if it is work my drive?

RJRA in Phoenix, Arizona

44 months ago

Host said: Do you work at CIGNA? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Do not wast your time...work for cigna is like working for a car dealership. They dont even know them selvs what they want...Cigna is been in business for over 200 years and still the worse place to work for and the worse customer services and products. I know, I was there for long time. Try work for Aetna or Blue Cross Blue shields...Cigna is hiring every day because people won't stay...just like car dealership employment...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Fran in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

42 months ago

Host said: Do you work at CIGNA? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

I worked for them back East for about five years in the 90's. What I recall is they like WASP-types from Ivy League Schools. They are very snobbish. If you are not their type they might hire you anyway, but you will never make it to their "A" list no matter how hard you work. They will gladly keep you around to dump on you, but you will be a second-class citizen. When you leave, they can be very nasty and vindictive, like "how dare you leave, WE tell you when to go."

Someone who "Doesnt Matter"

41 months ago

MICHAEL LADD in Nashville, Tennessee said: CIGNA SUCKS THERE RUDE AND VERY UNPROFESSIONAL. WHAT IS COMING OF THE BUSINESS WORLD WHAT A MESS WE HAVE.

Cigna is the worst place to work for Ever!
I have worked for them for nearly a year on a contract basis. During the Christmas time period everyone received a little package with a candle and card (probably a $3 dollar gift) but I did not receive one. Might as well slap me in the face.
When training courses were going on I was not invited to attend in order to be able to do a better job there. It was as though they already assumed I was not going to be there long after first hiring me. But they did manage to hire on 6 black women making the black to white ratio about 97%.
One employee was hired and the day she was hired an email went out for a get together lunch and she was invited to that lunch. Did I receive that email? No. I worked and I did the exact same job as everyone else there and I was crapped on, on a constant basis and I was the only person working there that had a proper education including an MBA.
To top it all off I was let go today with no notice. I finished out my day and was asked to come to the managers desk and said, "today is your last day". Knowing that I am living with my cancer patient mother, only have 1 car, and just moved into a new rental that I had to sign a year long lease and they do that without even a 2 week notice. The managers at Cigna dont have any idea how to manage, which is why the turn over rate at Cigna is higher than a restaurant. The CFO is extremely clueless and needs to take some people skill classes and learn that Moral in the workplace is actually important and not saying "Hello" to an employee that has worked for you for a year shows very poorly on your character not to mention slapping that employee in the face at Christmas and basically saying, "You dont matter".
Lastly... Cigna chose to let me go on my Birthday of all days. Souless place!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

XPisme in Nashville, Tennessee

41 months ago

Patience paid off in Phoenix, Arizona said: I came in after a take over and the only observation I can make is that the people who were stuck in the old world and could not assimulate are slowly going away. However, the people who showed they are team players and continued to work toward the changes into the Cigna world had great opportunity. ......

I've been with CIGNA for 4+ years, and since the takeover of GW I've noticed that CIGNA's service in areas touched by GW's attitudes has gone down both internally and externally. Those "stuck in the old world" are sometimes not stuck so much as determined to not let quality be tossed out the window.

Forget about contacting HR; they don't really pay attention. The old HR guy out of the nashville office used to go sit at Starbucks most of the day and read a paper. He finally left or was let go. At the end of the day, the corporate guys don't know what really goes on here and probably don't care. The bottom line is what is important to them, not employee morale. Local management knows how to put on a good show for when the higherups come to town.

27 months ago

anonymous said: Not like average employers, CIGNA wants to recruit and retain the very best employees. If you have solid skills and/or qualifications and strong communications skills, you stand a fair shot at an interview. Give it your all and chances are someone will consider you for a position now or in the future.

Good luck!

- A CIGNA employee

"Good communication." No accents, please, if you get my drift.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

heeeeee heeeee in Kingston Springs, Tennessee said: i went to one of the giant job fairs that they had here, i spoke with one of the hr people and she told me she would get back to me in the morning........now almost 1 month later i called the lady only to get the run around about they are lookin' for someone with a more corp. background Hello i'm in nursing does that person even exist!

They pay their nurses way less than their accountants. This is a health insurance company. They are snobs fixated on WASP types.

Sr Examiner in Kansas

27 months ago

Please...the below comment is a JOKE. CIGNA recently OUTSOURCED all their HCFA work to the PHILLIPINES. How strong do you think their qualifications and communications skills are?????? Once again another company sends the easy work off to another country and US workers get the garbage.

Not like average employers, CIGNA wants to recruit and retain the very best employees. If you have solid skills and/or qualifications and strong communications skills, you stand a fair shot at an interview. Give it your all and chances are someone will consider you for a position now or in the future.

momissaving in Cedar Lake, Indiana

25 months ago

I was wondering what day of the month do cigna employees get paid?

Heather in Villa Rica, Georgia

24 months ago

Cigna has lots of jobs including Provider Services Jobs

jobs.cigna.com/

Firefly in Downers Grove, Illinois

13 months ago

La_Princesa in Illinois said: I should be making more than someone with no experience and no degree. That doesn't make me above anyone, but a realist. Yes, I've had group interviews before, but none of the jobs were legit.

I group interviewed for a lot of companies that were perfectly legit. Casinos and other atmosphere companies like that especially - even though all of us in the group were going for completely different positions. But the Harrahs casino group interview was still to this day the most interesting interview I've ever experienced. And yes you can be a realist with the idea that you'll make more with your experience and degree, but certain positions aren't going to pay more for that no matter what and actually that attitude that you should be paid more for it could cost you the job BECAUSE they don't want to have to pay you more. That doesn't take the companies legitimacy into question: it's just how much they really want to spend on a position where they could just as easily pay someone less money and have a mind with a clean slate to train rather than someone whose mind already thinks they know what their doing and don't need to adapt to the companies personal style.

La_Princesa in Illinois

13 months ago

Only uneducated people believe someone without a degree and someone with should be paid the same. That is called communism and thankfully we don't live in a country like that yet. With this mindset there is no logic in attending college since a college grad and a high school dropout would pay the same.

And nope, every group interview I have gone on has been a scam.

Green in Washington, District of Columbia

6 months ago

Anybody has a number or email address to somebody in the HR dept? I simply want to know when they intend to fill the position. I interested in a position with them however if they don't plan to fill it until 6 months for now, for example, I need to move forward with finding another position.

And does anybody outside of a call center position have experience with Cigna? I'm speaking of a higher level, non-manager position.

Thanks in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pissed Off in Midlothian, Virginia

5 months ago

Cigna in Richmond is a great place to work, as long as you are young and have your original hair color. I worked there for close to nineteen years, and had a very stellar and successful career as a Senior Service Specialist. I left to become an Account Manager for a Brokerage company who recruited me. After seven years, I applied at Cigna for the exact same job I held before, and was not even given the opportunity to interview. I found out three months after I had applied for the job that it had been filled by an outside candidate. Remember, I had nineteen years of experience and was probably the best enroller and trainer they ever had. I will caution new employees that if you dare to say anything against management, expect to be on the losing end when layoffs come around. I know this to be a fact from friends who were laid off. I don't know how this management team thinks, and that's scary to me. I will never again apply at Cigna.

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.