CVS background check taking forever to go through.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (20)

Keysandlocks in Medford, Massachusetts

43 months ago

Is it normal for a background check to take 2+ weeks? I applied for a cashier position at CVS in late December 2013.They got back to me in February.

I went for the interview on February 8th 2014. It went well. On February 12th 2014 I received an email with an offer from CVS, all I needed to do was fill out the form, which I did. Right now I am still waiting for my background check to pass.

I called the store manager who interviewed me and she said, the background check needs to pass before she can do anything. Is it normal for it to take this long, Or am I just being paranoid? I don't understand why its taking so long because my background is clean, and I have never gotten in trouble with the law.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Cpht in Freeland, Pennsylvania

36 months ago

This is an old thread but I was wondering how long it took until your background check was finally completed, I'm in that same spot with cvs hiring process right now- I've already missed the first scheduled orentation date because background results hadn't come in yet and I also do not have a record! I don't understand what takes so long :( They use a company called First Advantage. I submitted my info last Thursday and they haven't sent the results to the store yet...it's very frustrating! Has anyone else dealt with this company before?

Reply - Report abuse

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada

36 months ago

Cpht in Freeland, Pennsylvania said: This is an old thread but I was wondering how long it took until your background check was finally completed, I'm in that same spot with cvs hiring process right now- I've already missed the first scheduled orentation date because background results hadn't come in yet and I also do not have a record! I don't understand what takes so long :( They use a company called First Advantage. I submitted my info last Thursday and they haven't sent the results to the store yet...it's very frustrating! Has anyone else dealt with this company before?

Not with First Advantage but with others. A background check can take as long as 4 - 6 weeks depending on what they are checking and how busy the verifier is.

Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

4 to 6 weeks? That's terrible! Cvs has me scheduled for a second for orientation on the 17th. I really need this job and my employment is contingent upon passing this background check- and I can not move any further along until the results come in! I submitted my permission on Thursday Oct 2nd in the morning (9am)as soon as I got the email allowing me to do so. Tomorrow will then be 5 business days. I really don't know how I'm going make it waiting possibly weeks longer to finally get the all clear. Does anyone know if cvs can withdraw their job offer simply because it's taking so long for background company to get back to them? (no fault on my part, but getting very stressed because I believed with a clean history this shouldn't have been an issue, now I'm reading so many negative things on other internet sites about how many problems people have had and all the reports to the BBB about First Advantage!

Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Cpht in Freeland, Pennsylvania said: 4 to 6 weeks? That's terrible! Cvs has me scheduled for a second for orientation on the 17th. I really need this job and my employment is contingent upon passing this background check- and I can not move any further along until the results come in! I submitted my permission on Thursday Oct 2nd in the morning (9am)as soon as I got the email allowing me to do so. Tomorrow will then be 5 business days. I really don't know how I'm going make it waiting possibly weeks longer to finally get the all clear. Does anyone know if cvs can withdraw their job offer simply because it's taking so long for background company to get back to them? (no fault on my part,

A company can withdraw their offer even after they have hired you because of the Employment at Will legislation. They can also hire you contingent on a (future) successful outcome of a background check.

The most important thing is to keep a record of your work history going forward. I save all my pay stubs now because once they were unable to verify a previous employer that went out of business. Its up to you to prove you worked where you say you did.

Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

I have only ever worked at one other place and I'm sure I still have my w2 and some pay stubs from there. It's just this not hearing anything from the background company that's getting to me...they haven't called me for any additional info at all. I will probably give it until Thurdsay- that will make it one full week and then I will call First Advantage myself (phone number is right on their website). Thank you for the advice going forward I will certainly keep it in mind in the future. I know there are other people out there having problems with that background company and the horror stories are pretty frightening. Especially in this economy getting a job is incredibly difficult. I am a certified pharmacy technician, and that's what I've been doing for over 20 years now. It's all I know, and when I tried applying heck even for minimum wage jobs... if I even got responses back from companies I'm told I'm either not the right 'fit' or they are impressed but I should apply more to my own 'background'. I always use to think when people said they couldn't find work, they could just go to a McDonald's or the dollar store... That they were being too 'picky' and perhaps weren't willing to take pay cuts. Well I want to let people know that is NOT the case!!! If you are not either still in high school or a recent graduate... It's seems IMPOSSIBLY to get a min wage job, I know because I've tried, only asking min wage with availability of anytime and still been turned down when they advertise they ARE hiring. (From what I've been reading it's because places like that are afraid that a mature (40 yr old) worker wouldn't stay long, or would leave as soon as a better opportunity came along- that doesn't entirely make sense either though because a high school person isn't generally going to stay at a job like that for very long either. My biggest problem is my area does not have many pharmacies around here, so competition for tech jobs is fierce!!

Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Cpht in Freeland, Pennsylvania said: I have only ever worked at one other place and I'm sure I still have my w2 and some pay stubs from there. It's just this not hearing anything from the background company that's getting to me...they haven't called me for any additional info at all. I will probably give it until Thurdsay- that will make it one full week and then I will call First Advantage myself (phone number is right on their website).

A week really isn't that long for a BG check. It depends on what CVS is looking for: Employment, Licensing, Degree, Credit, Criminal, etc.

Another thing that took more time for me was that one of my past employers outsourced their HR verification process to a 3rd party. So I had my future employer's 3rd party verifier trying to get in touch with my past employers' 3rd party verifier and it was a nightmare.

Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada said: A week really isn't that long for a BG check. It depends on what CVS is looking for: Employment, Licensing, Degree, Credit, Criminal, etc.

Another thing that took more time for me was that one of my past employers outsourced their HR verification process to a 3rd party. So I had my future employer's 3rd party verifier trying to get in touch with my past employers' 3rd party verifier and it was a nightmare.

That is horrible. There has to be a better/quicker way for companies to get this information. It's as a pharmacy technician and it's part time- AND I've worked for them in the past- for 17 YEARS. But, I understand it's their new hiring policy, I just feel like somehow the bigger companies like CVS could pay a little more to get a BG company that has a faster result rate. Online many of the BG companies say 3 to 5 business days. Some say 10 business days. None of them advertise hey, it might take us a month or two to get the results in. What a mess.

Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Cpht in Freeland, Pennsylvania said: That is horrible. There has to be a better/quicker way for companies to get this information. It's as a pharmacy technician and it's part time- AND I've worked for them in the past- for 17 YEARS. But, I understand it's their new hiring policy, I just feel like somehow the bigger companies like CVS could pay a little more to get a BG company that has a faster result rate. Online many of the BG companies say 3 to 5 business days. Some say 10 business days. None of them advertise hey, it might take us a month or two to get the results in. What a mess.

To see how all of this will be done in the future, rent an old movie called "Gattaca". LOL!

Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

I will have to see if I can rent it. I Wikipedia it to get a hint.... Genotype to determine employment Lol!!! Seems only a few steps ahead of the "who you know" not what you know reality of today

Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

It cut some of my response off... Thanks for the much needed chuckle!! I will have to rent it

Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Cpht in Freeland, Pennsylvania said: I will have to see if I can rent it. I Wikipedia it to get a hint.... Genotype to determine employment Lol!!! Seems only a few steps ahead of the "who you know" not what you know reality of today

The Who You Know concept is all the rage now. They are even teaching it in my daughter's entrepreneurship class in college. LOL!

Maybe one day they will just scan our foreheads to determine where we should be.

Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Update...it finally came in all clear! I got the job:)

Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Cpht in Freeland, Pennsylvania said: Update...it finally came in all clear! I got the job:)

Congrats.

Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Congrats.

Thank you :) I was about ready to take a nervous breakdown!! Thank you so much for listening to me rant and vent...and especially making me laugh when I was at my lowest- much appreciated

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Frustrated in Alvaton, Kentucky

29 months ago

I'm waiting on a CVS background check and it is freaking me out!!!! I don't have a record. I don't have the best credit, though. I was totally honest on my application. It has taken two weeks and they are getting ready to reschedule my start date. Is this normal? Should I be worried?

Reply - Report abuse

cphtlifer in Extremely Underemployed and sick of it

29 months ago

Frustrated in Alvaton, Kentucky said: I'm waiting on a CVS background check and it is freaking me out!!!! I don't have a record. I don't have the best credit, though. I was totally honest on my application. It has taken two weeks and they are getting ready to reschedule my start date. Is this normal? Should I be worried?

Don't worry, it feels like it takes forever- the best thing to do is keep in communication with the store u applied to- in my case it was pharmacy so I called every other day and checked on the status... I think when it finally does come through it's up to the front store manager to tell the pharmacy manager and that in itself can take time in a very busy store! You might feel like you are pestering them calling so much but atleast that way you are on their minds!
Have u tried calling the store to check on your status?

Reply - Report abuse

Jessy in Brooklyn, New York

21 months ago

Cpht in Freeland, Pennsylvania said: This is an old thread but I was wondering how long it took until your background check was finally completed, I'm in that same spot with cvs hiring process right now- I've already missed the first scheduled orientation date because background results hadn't come in yet and I also do not have a record! I don't understand what takes so long :( They use a company called First Advantage. I submitted my info last Thursday and they haven't sent the results to the store yet...it's very frustrating! Has anyone else dealt with this company before?

Im am currently having that problem. I am waiting for them to tell me that my background check was completed and I can start my orientation. I am not sure how this hiring process works but can someone help me please.

Reply - Report abuse

Blessedforever in Baltimore, Maryland

10 months ago

Hi
I live in dc. I have a simple assault and was wondering if anybody know anyone who worked for cvs with this type of background.
I had my interview and 2 days later i had a offer letter.
Im worried. Ita been 4 days.2

Reply - Report abuse

Taylor in Hialeah, Florida

4 months ago

Did you ever get the job???

Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.