Cabela's Salaries, Bonuses and Benefits.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (23)

Host

What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Cabela's?

What do you like best about working at Cabela's? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

Reply - Report abuse

jeeena johnson in Omaha, Nebraska

92 months ago

Host said: What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Cabela's?

What do you like best about working at Cabela's? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

salary imade 90.987 a year

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (45) Reply - Report abuse

joanne stevevd in Omaha, Nebraska

92 months ago

jeeena johnson in Omaha, Nebraska said: salary imade 90.987 a year

200,587 a year i was cooperate

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (34) Reply - Report abuse

Birgitta in Sidney, Nebraska

92 months ago

No comments made for months on end, and then two within a minute of one another - both with typos and errs in spelling.

Hmmmm....curiouser and curiouser.

Salaries at Cabela's in Sidney average much higher than salaries for comparable positions in the Nebraska panhandle and surrounding area. That runs across the board - for positions in warehouse on up to those in the corporate offices.

Travel requirements vary with position - just like any other company.

There are all sorts of perks and incentives. Some are departmental, while others are company-wide and managed through human resources. After having worked for three large public companies - and three larger businesses in the tri-state area, I can say that Cabela's offers more to me as an employee than I saw from other businesses in the area - or from other large public companies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Chandler, Arizona

92 months ago

Hi Birgitta,

I am curious to find out more on Cabela's. Ive seen some jobs I qould qualify for. Are they family friendly such as if my children have a school function I could leave to attend the nmake up hours? Do they pay relocation that you know of? Is it hard for them to find employees because of their location?

Thanks for the help!

Scott
www.linkedin.com/in/scottvarga

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Birgitta in Sidney, Nebraska

92 months ago

Hi Scott,

I have found Cabela's to be very family-friendly, but that may vary by department. In my department, several people (including myself) have rearranged schedules for sick children, athletic functions, school programs and the like. The idea of missing something for our children was never even a question.

I cannot speak for all departments. However, with any company it's typically easiest to look at the stance that HR takes on family events and activities, as it generally represents the company as a whole. HR here is family-friendly, so that leads me to believe that Cabela's as a whole is family-friendly. (Reason I am up late working - my job allows me to do that so I can take some time off for other things this week.)

I took a look at your profile on linkedin, and I suspect you could easily have relocation expense added to your employment package. I did not negotiate for that in my own situation, but my start with Cabela's was atypical. Many others I know have received relocation expense - but I cannot say if that is a flat rate or a receipt-based reimbursement. HR could likely tell you more.

It is extremely difficult for Cabela's to find employees in Sidney, Nebraska. There are a lot of hard working, dedicated people here - but the size of Cabela's corporate offices requires more than what the local population can offer. Supply and demand issues provide a higher wage structure and increased incentives for those of us willing to call this area home.

The best thing to do is contact the corporate offices and ask for recruiting, as they can provide a lot of information. You can also go to www.cheyennecountychamber.com and click on the relocation link to ask for a relocation packet to learn more about the area.

One warning - housing here is EXTREMELY tight. Good info to know ahead.

Good luck to you Scott. If you need more info - let me know here and I'll email you direct.
Birgitta

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

svarg in Chandler, Arizona

92 months ago

This is all great information Birg! Thank you so much! My wife and I requested the info from the chamber.

If possbile, any guessimate would do, what are the salaries for the Internet dept (me) and the finance dept (my wife)? Does Cabela offer 401k match, and if they do is it 1:1? Also, do they offer Stock purchase plan? Any telecommuting or 4 day (10 hour shifts)?

We looked at housing up there and we were surprised at some of the nice homes they have. We would like to find a farm though on the outskirts. Where would someone fly into for an interview or to travel to Sidney? Denver? We looked for a Catholic church but could not find one. That was kinda of disheartning, it may be that its just not listed.

Thanks so much for your time! My wife and I appreciate it greatly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

svarg in Phoenix, Arizona

92 months ago

Please email me at smvarga2002@yahoo.com with the answers if you would like.

Thanks!
Scott

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

ken in Indianapolis, Indiana

91 months ago

svarg in Chandler, Arizona said: This is all great information Birg! Thank you so much! My wife and I requested the info from the chamber.

If possbile, any guessimate would do, what are the salaries for the Internet dept (me) and the finance dept (my wife)? Does Cabela offer 401k match, and if they do is it 1:1? Also, do they offer Stock purchase plan? Any telecommuting or 4 day (10 hour shifts)?

We looked at housing up there and we were surprised at some of the nice homes they have. We would like to find a farm though on the outskirts. Where would someone fly into for an interview or to travel to Sidney? Denver? We looked for a Catholic church but could not find one. That was kinda of disheartning, it may be that its just not listed.

Thanks so much for your time! My wife and I appreciate it greatly.

Hi My name is Ken and I am considering working at the new Cabelas in Greenwood Indiana. I was just wondering if you got the answers you asked as they are just the ones I was asking but having trouble finding. I am an aircraft mechanic and am tired of the lack of fun at work and the sense of being part of a team. I just need to know some of what I can expect financially if I work for Cabelas as I do OK now but desire a more overall feel in my workplace as in I want to want to get up and go to work each day. Thanks for any info you can provide as I am excited about a possible career move. I will be working toward mangement if I join the Cabelas team so if you have any info on that position it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and if you would like check out my column at waterandwoods.net I am not a solicitation at all so diregard if not interested The name of the column is Outdoor Adventures with Ken McBroom

Ken
ken@ramblingangler.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Katie

90 months ago

Ken
I worked for Cabela's in Triadelphia WV for 2 yrs. At first it seemed like the dream job, I was offered full time, making 9.50 an hour, the hours went from 40 hrs a week to maybe 30-32 hours a week. They laid people off all the time. If you are not a butt kisser, then my advice to you would be "don't do it"....if you are not in with the management staff from the beginning you will go "NO" where. At the Cabelas that I worked at, the big thing was who was sleeping with who and if you weren't again you won't go anywhere. After 2 years of watching this go on and getting kicked in the teeth because I wasn't and wouldn't, I finally gave up and moved on.
Good Luck to you if you should decide to venture in to the world of Cabelas.
I will tell you that they do have a stock purchase plan, as well as a nice employee discount. I do have to say, I would hope that all Cabelas are not ran the way the one in WV is.....???? Who knows?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

89 months ago

Katie said: Ken
I worked for Cabela's in Triadelphia WV for 2 yrs. At first it seemed like the dream job, I was offered full time, making 9.50 an hour, the hours went from 40 hrs a week to maybe 30-32 hours a week. They laid people off all the time. If you are not a butt kisser, then my advice to you would be "don't do it"....if you are not in with the management staff from the beginning you will go "NO" where. At the Cabelas that I worked at, the big thing was who was sleeping with who and if you weren't again you won't go anywhere. After 2 years of watching this go on and getting kicked in the teeth because I wasn't and wouldn't, I finally gave up and moved on.
Good Luck to you if you should decide to venture in to the world of Cabelas.
I will tell you that they do have a stock purchase plan, as well as a nice employee discount. I do have to say, I would hope that all Cabelas are not ran the way the one in WV is.....???? Who knows?

THAT IS TOO FUNNY AND TOO TRUE!!! They opened in Wisconsin a year ago and that is exactly what the culture is....what's up with that??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

Olywachick in Olympia, Washington

89 months ago

What is a manager's base salary pay for a store in the Pac Northwest? Like Idaho/Wa?
And being salary, how many hours per week on avg are managers working?
Also, bonuses? How often? How much?
Other Incetives?????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Icarus in Firth, Idaho

64 months ago

For store level employees: approx. $10 per hour, with (currently) a raise of no more than 3% pending a favorable annual review.

Virtually no health benefits. For the few full-time personnel, the benefits were improved slightly this year. For part-timers (the bulk of the retail employees), the group health plan is the same insult they offered in previous years (you're much better off getting an individual policy on your own, if you can afford it). No vacation or sick days for part-timers, either.

Contrast this to CEO Tommy MIlner, who's compensation is set at $750,000 salary plus a minimum bonus of 1.5 million (guaranteed), 2.25 million target bonus (probable), and maximum bonus of 2.75 million. Also, add to this his Board of Directors "retainer" of $35,000 per years, plus $2,500 per board meeting (per day), plus complete expenses covered for transportation, lodging, entertainment, etc. related to board meetings. Also, use of corporate jets, and company-paid international hunting and fishing junkets. Now consider that most of senior management have similar deals, while they pay poverty wages and won't even provide decent health coverage for their store-level employees. Sickening.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

fedupcabelas in Dalton, Nebraska

64 months ago

Firstly Cabelas decided NOT to open the Greenwood, Indiana store and have put the property up for sale.

In regards to working for them DON'T!

Even at corporate wages may be high but $30,000+ per year doesn't relate to good hourly salary when you are forced to work 60+ hours per week, plus possible travel etc. As one person said competent non-butt kissers need not apply. There is also a definite age bias where they ask if you are under 40. Recently, according to company rumor all corporate employees over 60 and with more than 10 years with the company were forced to leave with a severance package.

All corporate employees had to re-apply and re-interview for their jobs. Last year there was a major walk out with IT staff due to major cuts in benefits.

In regards to the retail staff, incompetent and spineless managers are the norm. Hoffmann Estates was using club card referals and a threat of termination to get people to push the credit card which Cabelas own bank issues. Each store gets a $70 bonus for every club card they sucker someone into. Similarly with the new Cabelas Extreme Protection plan. They use these to meet retail payrolls because the revenues aren't apparently enough to pay the Operations and Maintenance budgets for the monster stores and the monster salaries of the "good old boy" corporate big shots.

Pay for retail staff is low, there is constant harassment from managers trying to blame poor sales on employees and not a weak economy and poorly made products, there is NO sick leave, personal leave etc, as stated "part-time or seasonal" staff are worked 40 hours per week to start, can be fires at any time and get few if any benefits.

If you're a mercenary with no morals other than those in your wallet work for Cabelas, stab people in the back and kiss butt and you'll fit right in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

unhappycamper in Lincoln, Nebraska

47 months ago

fedupcabelas in Dalton, Nebraska said: Firstly Cabelas decided NOT to open the Greenwood, Indiana store and have put the property up for sale.

In regards to working for them DON'T!

Even at corporate wages may be high but $30,000+ per year doesn't relate to good hourly salary when you are forced to work 60+ hours per week, plus possible travel etc. As one person said competent non-butt kissers need not apply. There is also a definite age bias where they ask if you are under 40. Recently, according to company rumor all corporate employees over 60 and with more than 10 years with the company were forced to leave with a severance package.

Concerning being with Cabela's for 10 years at the Lincoln call center, I can verify that they are trying to get rid of long-term employees. I was just fired on Friday after 10 years of service with Cabela's. I was accused of "manipulating" the phones so I couldn't take calls from customers. I had been complaining to my lead and supervisor for 3 months prior that I had problems with my phone dropping calls. A new phone was given to me but the dropped calls kept happening. I was pulled into HR and my supervisor from Sidney was on the phone telling me I that there was no way there was anything wrong with my phone line and I was the one dropping the calls on purpose. 10 years of service to Cabela's and I was treated like a common criminal. I had never made complaints of this kind about my phone extention in the past and why would I tell my supervisors/leads/HR that I was having phone problems if I was doing it? This makes no sense. They had shown me that had 3 months of proof that I had been dropping the calls which is exactly 3 months I had complained about this problem. This seems fishy to me. I now have to file for unemployment after I thought I was doing the right thing letting someone know I had phone problems. As mentioned above. I didn't kiss the right butt to keep from being fired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mommy2b in Florissant, Missouri

42 months ago

I have to agree I wouldn't work for them again if it was the last job on earth. You can be there and always go above and beyond and you will be the one to be crapped on. They have a habit of "suspending" people but when that happens you might as well file unemployment because that is the end of your job. Also, the push and push for club cards and protection plans (ext warrenty) and the VOC surveys but the only ones that matter is club cards and protection plans not the glowing reviews they receive about you from the customers.

The pay is horrible benifits are useless for pt and just walk in knowing you might be work 40 hrs one week and 4 the next. they dont care if u have a family emergency (death in the family) one mgr will tell you things are taking care of then while you are home morning and being with you family you are harrassed by phone from fellow employees threating your job and mgmt wont correct the situation.

My advice is to find another job, I will never be back in that store as an employee or customer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

blmthiker in Pottstown, Pennsylvania

35 months ago

All the negative Cabelas comments are true & accurate. Worked at the Hamburg store for 6 years. Starting salaries ($8-$8.50)
don't begin to compensate for the volume of business that store does. Every employee has a crosshair on them as AP (Asset Protection) is on a constant war path to fire employees who
have been there too long and make too much $$ (ain't that a
joke). People are hired & fired at an incredible
rate. If your looking for a job to simply kill time,
then consider Cabelas. But if you have bills to pay and you need
a reliable & reasonable income then PLEASE look elsewhere.
If you think I lie, ask ANY Cabelas Retail employee, past
or present. They are NOT a happy bunch, at least at the Retail
store level.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

S.J. in Munster, Indiana

34 months ago

Cabela's is definitely NOT a good company to work for. Recently, a friend of mine who had been working there for almost 2 years was told by a manager to change something he had written down on some documentation, so he did. Later on they fired him for doing what his manager told him to, but the manager had no repercussions whatsoever. They fired someone who had been at the store since day one for who knows what reason, and they will probably get rid of another friend of mine there before he has a chance to get his pension and retire. They are unappreciative, selfish, and all they care about is their management and those in power. I live right down the street from Cabela's and I refuse to work there despite the convenience. It isn't worth putting in all the hours working there just to be fired whenever they decide they don't like you anymore. These are not bad workers they're getting rid of, they're top of the line. I don't understand why they want to fire perfectly good employees and then complain later that they're understaffed and post like mad online for new applicants. I wish someone could make that make sense to me.

Bottom line is, do not work for this company. They're corrupt as they come.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Montanafreak in Denver, Colorado

22 months ago

joanne stevevd in Omaha, Nebraska said: 200,587 a year i was cooperate

So I am a nurse manager but my life is helping people find stuff in the outdoors. I was considering applying for a new store opening but wanted to know what dept managers make at Cabelas? If it was 50-60K that would be great even if you had to work 60 hrs. It's Cabelas for Pete sake. But I have to consider family, as much as I would love to work there I have to make a living. Is it possible to do mid 50's or more or is that a pipe dream?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Looking in Plainfield, Illinois

11 months ago

Cabelas was the first large retail I had ever done. I agree with much of what has been said about the environment they perpetuate. Don't know if it's retail or them.
The worst thing is they will work you to the bone when they want and cut you to it when things get slow. Being PT I need some consistency of income which doesn't happen there. Can't tell you how many times they will look you in the eye and lie
about hours.
Guess $10 isn't to bad for retail and if you shoot or hunt there are perks. 3% is correct for raise. Hey it's a Mickies meal deal a week don't knock it.
Turnover is huge. People start liking it and it seems to go sour. I think some of their best employees just don't care much and go thru the motions.
Seems to me it could be done better easily but who am I to knock their success.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Skruffy in New York, New York

1 month ago

So I am considering a position with corporate in Sidney. The position is salaried and would require travel. My question for any corporate peeps is this, how much overtime do you typically work in a given week? While I expect to enjoy my job and take pride in it, I am the kind that works to sustain life, not the other way around. Also, if you or someone you know received relocation compensation, how much? Thanks in advance for any answers.

JJ in Shawnee, Oklahoma

1 month ago

I was wondering what the chain of command is in a Cabelas store.

JJ in Shawnee, Oklahoma

1 month ago

please email me at coachtitley36@yahoo.com

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.