cardinal health News and Happenings.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (18)

Host

What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does cardinal health stack up against the competition?

Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Memphis, Tennessee

105 months ago

You should consider avoiding Cardinal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Michael in C'bus Ohio in Nineveh, Indiana

105 months ago

Really depends on the location. They just moved a bunch of jobs from Illinois to Dublin, Ohio. So, that being said, yes they will strive. They are the worlds largest pharmaceutical wholesaler with 55000 employees in 26 countries. They did over $81 billion in sales last year.

Look, you will hear a lot of negative comments about Cardinal just because they are a large company that is hard to get into. I would suggest that you do some networking if you are that interested. Try to meet as many employees as possible and then decide for yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Columbus Resident in Columbus, Ohio

105 months ago

I agree - Cardinal is very strong and survived the healthcare turmoil with little impacts. Keep looking I say! It's worth it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

SIlly in Pomona, California

99 months ago

Who ever says Cardinal IS a positive place is wrong! I been there 10 plus yrs management doesnt know what they are doing... They are cutting heads to make numbers in the company look a lil better, its all about the top dogs making the money while the low level people suffer.. Penske is taking over nationwide for the truck drivers and im pretty sure warehouse is next! Not only do they not care for the employees but the company has been dealing with mega lawsuits for the past yrs!! Stay away!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

vibrant

94 months ago

Cardinal is spiraling out of control. IPS is not working. Ask any sales person in the organization. IPS is stifling the sales teams. The leadership is arrogant and doesn't have a clue about the customer. All that matters to them is what the analysts are saying. The 600 people that were layed off is a facade. The number is much greater than that and growing.

A Cardinal customer once said that working with Cardinal is like a bad marriage without an option for divorce. Pretty strong statement. This was said by a capital buyer at one of Cardinal's largest customers. This information was reported to Cardinal and dismissed as worthless.

Med/Surg distribution, the box movers, rules the roost there.

This organization will fabricate a reason to dismiss you after 10 years of outstanding performance. It happens unexpectedly, shortly after an outstanding review, raise, trip awards ... no severance, no health insurance, deny your unemployment claims ... all with no explanation.

They want talking head "yes-people" that don't think and don't have opinions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

CynicalYetPractical in San Diego, California

94 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

Visit this URL: centralohio.bbb.org/WWWRoot/Report.aspx?site=49&bbb=0302&firm=63000506

I work for Cardinal Health, and it says a million words I don't need to say.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

HalfFull in san diego, California

94 months ago

I agree with you Vibrant. I'm not in sales, but you are right about Cardinal only interested in "yes-people". Anyone with an idea of improving reliability, process improvement is viewed as not being a team player. Taking the initiative is viewed by most tech firms as great, not at Cardinal.

Between recalls, reliability issues, increasing RFP's, increased discounts to retain accounts and overall declining customer and employee satisfaction, Cardinal is not doing well.

Mmanagement doesn't know what they're doing and they will not listen to the employees that are paid to have a brain.

Stay away unless you are interested in a dead end and being laid off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Glad To Be Gone in Abingdon, Virginia

93 months ago

I don't believe in the cliche' that all things are relative , but I might have to make an exception with Cardinal. Cardinal is aggressively trying to change its image, and restore positive moral among employees. Upon my initial hire, the orientation process was very accomadating, and thorough. My suspicions were immendiately alerted that something was wrong, that things weren't what they appeared to be. However, orientation was nearly a 3 day process, invovling paperwork, and meeting various management team members that portrayed Cardinal in nothing but its best light. It was all smiles, handshakes, and good cheer within the halls of the administrative offices. But let's just say that all changed when I stepped on to the operations floor.

Again, it's all relative if you don't mind working in a noisy environment without conventional climate controls. I quickly learned, it idn't matter what prior skills, or certifications one had to operate equipment, you were immediately placed where you were most needed, performing mindless work. I was just a body to fill a position. Ultimately, that's all the job really came down to. Because we were short staffed at times, we never knew when we'd be going home. On the heaavier nights when volume was high, employees who figured out "the system" would routinely call in sick. Make no mistake, in my estimation the plant as a whole was poorly managed, resulting in low morale, which in turn resulted in more people laying out. Cardinal began firing a few people at this location to address the problem by hiring replacements. Management didn't have a clue at times, much less college degrees to inspire a certain level of competency. Although it was a forgone conclusion that turnover was always going to be a continual problem. On average, while I was there, we lost at least one employee per month. If you like kissing arse, and a dead end job, Cardinal is for you. They will survive, but you won't if you stay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Stunned... in San Diego, California

93 months ago

I've never had an experience like the interview process I went through at the San Diego location. I would just say, if Cardinal Health is in your line up of interviews, don't put much stock into the process. I was practically offered a job on the spot (nothing in writing), with discussions of salary, signing bonuses, where I fit in the org chart, what my duties would be on upcoming initiatives, where I would sit...then...ushered through another series of interviews with senior managers...then declined the position because they had to hire an internal candidate??? Then called weeks later (at home over the weekend), offered a different job, with discussions of duties, salary, signing bonuses and more...then to find out the job was never approved at the levels it needed to be approved?

If in the grand scheme of 'do the right thing' type of leadership and management-- this is what one can expect...I would simply say...this modus operendi speaks volumes to process control that is "out of control". I'm stunned that their HR department allows this type of thing to go on there. It does not represent the company in a good way at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JuneBaby in San Diego, California

90 months ago

Having a telephone interview earlier this month, for the SR. Contracting/Billing position. It lasted 50 minutes there were some concerns that I had, since the person interviewed me didn't have any type of managed care backround and wanted to run a senario of how a claim gets paid how contracts were read implemented and created that was a red flag period I did not wanted to be placed in a working enviornment that was more stressful that it has to be. Then I recieved a email they were pursuing another candidate, then place the ad back on the internet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

JuneBaby in San Diego, California

90 months ago

Stunned... in San Diego, California said: I've never had an experience like the interview process I went through at the San Diego location. I would just say, if Cardinal Health is in your line up of interviews, don't put much stock into the process. I was practically offered a job on the spot (nothing in writing), with discussions of salary, signing bonuses, where I fit in the org chart, what my duties would be on upcoming initiatives, where I would sit...then...ushered through another series of interviews with senior managers...then declined the position because they had to hire an internal candidate??? Then called weeks later (at home over the weekend), offered a different job, with discussions of duties, salary, signing bonuses and more...then to find out the job was never approved at the levels it needed to be approved?

If in the grand scheme of 'do the right thing' type of leadership and management-- this is what one can expect...I would simply say...this modus operendi speaks volumes to process control that is "out of control". I'm stunned that their HR department allows this type of thing to go on there. It does not represent the company in a good way at all.

That is stressful on your part. Then the lack of good faith on the part of Cardinal Health. This show the character of the type(s) of people that are in supervisory and management positions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

draybook in Southaven, Mississippi

89 months ago

"Again, it's all relative if you don't mind working in a noisy environment without conventional climate controls."

If you think working at Cardinal is noisy then I feel sorry for you if you ever work at the Memphis FedEx Hub.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

draybook in Southaven, Mississippi

89 months ago

Oh, and it's only a dead end job if you're content being just a worker. On my 1 year anniversary with the company I had my first promotion to coordinator. First step towards being management within a year. The great thing is that I was on vacation when the promotion actually kicked in.

The benefits are just as good as FedEx with some extra perks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Resource in California

87 months ago

Draybook in Southaven, Mississippi said: Oh, and it's only a dead end job if you're content being just a worker. On my 1 year anniversary with the company I had my first promotion to coordinator. First step towards being management within a year. The great thing is that I was on vacation when the promotion actually kicked in.

The benefits are just as good as FedEx with some extra perks.

Don't trust management to be up to the task. Too many of them have been with the company doing the same thing the same way that they are incapable of seeing the error of their ways or know how to direct their people. And when they hire from outside it's with as much thought as what they will have for lunch because their too involved in other things or without sufficient knowledge of the skillset needed to make good decisions. The consent decree is just one example of the results of poor management and misdirection. How does a company that has the potential of affecting the lives of so many continue to do business this way you ask - have internal auditors teaching them how to work the system, draw up documents that nobody really reads and call them required training. And don't make waves or you'll find yourself on the outs with an HR department that works solely for the company not the employees. Why do people stay - because it's all that they know, their comfortable, their tired, and it's better than no job at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

brugandy40yarder rolloff in California

67 months ago

All these BIG 3 are teh same-Cardinal/McKesson/AmerisourceBergen. I worked at McKesson where folks were so stressed out there was not even eye contact in the hallway when you passed someone.In all my years of working I was never hit with the volume of work I had at McKsson, but the pay did not match ! AmeriSource was a little better at least you could breath and the atmosphere was not zombie like. I lost both those jobs when they sent the local work (accounting) back to Corp office level. I was offered a job at Cardinal shortly thereafter but thurned it down-thank god. I would have been a 3 time loser I'm sure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nostromo in Dublin, Ohio

36 months ago

The comments you see here listing the several reasons why you don't want to work at Cardinal really struck home to me. I worked in the technical field for 6 years there and can comment on the inner workings of their technical side. In a word its a disaster. First, you have management issues. They have people in positions of management who emulate Marie Antoinette. They are arrogant, condescending, don't have an ounce of leadership in them and could care care less about the welfare of the direct reports. In the last few years Cardinal in Dublin has become a total sweat shop. The section I came from has every person now working 7 days a week every week. And management likes it. Because as salaried employees, I was told, the more hours you work the less you make an hour. My last week there was 76 hours.
You also have a lot of folks there who lack basic hygiene habits. They bathe once a week, smell like rancid soup, eat disgusting, foul smelling concoctions in their cubes, blow their noses in the sinks and much, much more. Where most of the tech folks work is a very dirty old warehouse.
They are currently on a program to minimize employing locals and are turning over most of their tech services to Wipro meaning that most tech tasks will be done by either offshore Wipro or on onshore Wipro (foreign employees) who work cheap.
Those above who said they are not interested in employee suggestions or feedback are exactly right. After a decade of folks telling them to start a suggestion program they finally did. But its nothing but a dog and pony sow as they have not implemented even ONE suggestion after a year of the program.
Don't just walk away. Run away!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

ANON in Wilmington, Ohio

3 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

Cardinal doesn't lay off. They have a LPH system that addresses the employees they need at any given time in the year that correlates with predicted volume of sales. When it reaches a low point they just won't replace the ones who quit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.