What's the company culture at Carmax?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

Every business has its own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Carmax?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Carmax?

Reply - Report abuse

Sergio in Orange, California

59 months ago

They have cheap company shirts they supply you when you start but only give you three. They expect you to wear solid color trouses or nice shorts, no cargo pants. Woman can basically wear what they like as long as it sort of follows the company line. Expect never to have a social life as you will be working a lot of eveings and weekends, They do not believe in time off with your family. You will work on 4th of July, New Years Day and will not finish work untill 9pm on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve. When it comes to a Christmas "gift" do not expect anything more than a low value gift card, around $10 - 15 and smile when they hand it to you! You will be constantly belittled by management, who only want to meet budget each day as they get a nice bonus on your results and will want you to cheat and lie to make a sale. The cars Carmax offer to the public are not the best out there and most have some form of problem but the company expects you to sell the problem and if the customer finds it, bring it to the sevice department to be fixed. Carmax offers a 5 Day Money Back Guaretee but what that really means is they bring there purchased car in and swap it for another used car most of the time, They make it really difficult for a customer to get their money back. The turn over of staff in all departments is REALLY HIGH, that tells you more about the company than anything.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

salespuke in Oxnard, California

52 months ago

I guess its a good place to work if you don't mind not having a personal life. Work life balance is non-existent as you are often encouraged to come in on your off days. In addition, the pay is terrible. The average sales associate will sell 1-2 cars a week and gets paid $150 - $300 per sale.

Reply - Report abuse

PC-Consultant in Los Angeles, California

16 months ago

If your interested in working for a great company please don't listen to the other comments. This company is great to work for but only if you put in the time. I got hired and as a 19 year old I made over 50k my first year. Many consultants have bad attitudes no matter where you go and that's what makes the culture bad a most stores. Trust me I worked at a total of 4 stores and grand opened several. There's advancement opportunity like you won't believe especially if you're relocatable. I recently got promoted to Sales Manager in just 3 years and love it. Sales is sales, be prepared for some stress and the highs and lows.

If you don't work hard you can't play hard. If you can't put in a full days work you end up working extra long hours to make money.

By the way carmax is closed in Christmas eve and Christmas.

Dont listen to these lazy consultants commenting about carmax on indeed. They're only on indeed because they're looking for an easy way out with a different company.

50k-80k. Work Ethic. Easy Money.

7264FNO, 7112FWA, 7181Hulen, 7115TX

Reply - Report abuse

Gonzi in Alexandria, Virginia

6 months ago

I have recently been offered a job at Carmax for Sales Consultant. Can someone tell me the truth about this position? I have read a lot of reviews and I haven't been able to make a decision. I see that the pay is ONLY commission??? If that is true, I need to know before I decide to accept this job.

Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.