CertainTeed Interview Questions.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Host

It's always hard to know what to expect when going in for that interview -- and preparation can make all the difference. What is the interview process like at CertainTeed?

Any advice on striking the right note?

Reply - Report abuse

No Name in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

98 months ago

I was contacted by HR to interview for a finance position. After the interview I followed up e-mail and telephone to HR to get feedback. The HR guy would not respond back and I know he screen all his calls. I thought this was rude. I notice that the same jobs are advertised for months and months. I wonder why? Overall seemed like a nice company. However from my initial experience maybe better I did not get an offer. Anyway with the home industry in a slump this must affect certain teed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

no name in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

96 months ago

I notice that certainteed has the same ads open on the internet job board and on the corporate website for long period of time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

The housing sector is expected to be down through 2009. Certainteed will see sales slow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

no name-St. Louis in Valley Park, Missouri

95 months ago

no name in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I notice that certainteed has the same ads open on the internet job board and on the corporate website for long period of time.

I too have noticed many companies with perpetual ads for the same jobs. Either they are churning these jobs/people, or are just looking for an over qualified person who may accidentally apply for their job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

gregory ticker in Toronto, Ontario

95 months ago

I also noticed that CertainTeed is placing the same position, under different titles and through different recruiting agencies. Everybody knows that construction industry is in a slump, I had been surprised that they are hiring for R&D position, but applied. I got a call from recruiter, and was told that the next day, Saturday, representative of the company would call me. I waited in vain. What is the purpose of all these exersises on their behalf I can not understand, but aftertaste of the whole thing is not very good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

deidre in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

94 months ago

gregory ticker in Toronto, Ontario said: I also noticed that CertainTeed is placing the same position, under different titles and through different recruiting agencies. Everybody knows that construction industry is in a slump, I had been surprised that they are hiring for R&D position, but applied. I got a call from recruiter, and was told that the next day, Saturday, representative of the company would call me. I waited in vain. What is the purpose of all these exersises on their behalf I can not understand, but aftertaste of the whole thing is not very good.

I also interviewed at CertainTeed a number of months ago and the HR guy was a complete jerk. He had me come in very early in the monrning and kept me waiting for 1/2 hour. This guy was a real looser and asked the most inane questions with a real arrogant attitude. He told me that the average tenure of employees at this compnay is 22 years!!! To me that's a real problem speaking to the dead wood in the company. I can't imagine with the housing market in such turmoil that this could be a good place to work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

Is the contract recruiter's name Ron H. at Vally Forge HQ. The guy was interviewing me like a used car salesman. Even sounded like one. It gave me a negative impression of Certainteed. That should have been my tip off from the start.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

deidre in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

94 months ago

no name in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Is the contract recruiter's name Ron H. at Vally Forge HQ. The guy was interviewing me like a used car salesman. Even sounded like one. It gave me a negative impression of Certainteed. That should have been my tip off from the start.

No that was not the person. . . but suffice to say that this is a dinosaur of a company which probably explains the used-car salesman approach/style. They are so stuck in the past. I was sent via a recruiter.. and even he spoke disparagingly about the HR group and specifically about the person I was meeting with. What does THAT tell you.

There are jerks everywhere.. the real issue here is that the housing market is in a world of hurt and this company is on the front line. Business there will not be good for the next few years. Move on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

Dierdre, sounds like we had similar experience in the interview process. Probably not our fault. I agree with you regarding moving on and it is their loss. It is disappointing to have expectation and realize the company is exercising gamesmanship.

The housing industry is down an falling. Look at Toll Bros, they have hugh drops. The mortgage industry, countrywide today announced lay off of 12,000 employees. All this will cycle back to the mfg of home building products.

Everything is cyclical but the reality is in the last 5 years this industry has been moving at a accelerated pace and now supply is above demand and and in most case the new housing costs are exceeding most peoples pocketbooks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.