How to get a job at CH2M HILL.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (42)

Host

Do you work at CH2M HILL? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

Randy in Kansas City, Missouri

100 months ago

I had a interveiw seem to go good to!! Call and they said they filled the spot. That was last friday and now they posted the need more people. looks like I was lied to!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jobless Applicant in Montgomery, Alabama

100 months ago

Randy in Kansas City, Missouri said: I had a interveiw seem to go good to!! Call and they said they filled the spot. That was last friday and now they posted the need more people. looks like I was lied to!

They are doing some massive hiring due to the proposed construction of Kia Motor Manufacturing facilties in West Point, GA. The are the A/E firm for the Kia Plant. After the plant is complete, I think most of positions will be elminated. My husband is one of person who is involve in the construction at Hyundai, the parent company of Kia. I also applied with CH2M Hill, they send they I was not qualified for the HR Generalist in Atlanta. I thought my chances of landing this position was favaorable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

CKY in Flagstaff, Arizona

100 months ago

I applied two openings and I heard nothing for months. I called up twice and the lady at HR told me the resume is sitting there but it seems to be "untouched"... The lady was a really nice person and very helpful, so I don't really want to bother her much if it's beyond her capability at this point. However this seems to make me think if CH2MHill is like URS corp which rumor said it will mass hire people but also mass lay off when they have fewer projects... Then again, I am on visa and I want to get away from school so gaining experience and allowance before I advance higher education is my priority. It's not something critical if I can gain valuable experience from it but sure does get people who look for long term employment worried.
The openings are not filled, but no action has been taken yet... I wonder...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

G. O'Neal in Lawrenceville, Georgia

100 months ago

Jobless Applicant in Montgomery, Alabama said: They are doing some massive hiring due to the proposed construction of Kia Motor Manufacturing facilties in West Point, GA. The are the A/E firm for the Kia Plant. After the plant is complete, I think most of positions will be elminated. My husband is one of person who is involve in the construction at Hyundai, the parent company of Kia. I also applied with CH2M Hill, they send they I was not qualified for the HR Generalist in Atlanta. I thought my chances of landing this position was favaorable.

Excuse me please, but I noticed errors in spelling and sentence structure. That is important, and perhaps that is why they did not hire you. Be very careful with all letters and resumes. The competition is fierce and educated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Burned Out at CH in Denver, Colorado

99 months ago

Melissa in Roseville, California said: I am a Senior Recruiter with CH2M HILL and I am pleased to say that we are very stable and happily accepting resumes from all types of candidates! Please take the chance to learn more about us and visit www.ch2m.jobs !

I must disagree - I see a lot of the problems at corporate HQ and I'm looking to get out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Todd in New Westminster, British Columbia

98 months ago

I worked at CH for about a 18 months out of their Herndon, VA office. I worked with some of the best people I ever have. The reason I left was two fold. Since you're required to be 100% billable. If your project ends, you're SOL and have to scramble for new work. This also leads to little if no downtime between projects. No time to write a lessons learned document or gain an understanding of what went wrong, or right. Also, if you are waiting for data you aren't suppose to bill that project, and eat that time.

Second, the management at CH is, well, not very dynamic. They tend to be old guys who have little or any idea of the changes in businesses.

Somedays I regret leaving CH, but then I just think back to all those nights and weekends I had to work to make up for all the time I was waiting for data and I don't.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

John

98 months ago

Todd in New Westminster, British Columbia said: I worked at CH for about a 18 months out of their Herndon, VA office. I worked with some of the best people I ever have. The reason I left was two fold. Since you're required to be 100% billable. If your project ends, you're SOL and have to scramble for new work. This also leads to little if no downtime between projects. No time to write a lessons learned document or gain an understanding of what went wrong, or right. Also, if you are waiting for data you aren't suppose to bill that project, and eat that time.

Second, the management at CH is, well, not very dynamic. They tend to be old guys who have little or any idea of the changes in businesses.

Somedays I regret leaving CH, but then I just think back to all those nights and weekends I had to work to make up for all the time I was waiting for data and I don't.

Exactly! There are many many other worse things inside also, especialy if you try to change anything and they see you as a threat to a status quo.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mark in Denver, Colorado

98 months ago

I have been applying for the public relation positions advertised in Denver, Colorado for over two years. I still have yet to receive a response, let alone a rejection letter. I'm an attorney with 4 years legislative experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Carol in Denver, Colorado

98 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: I applied for a paralegal opening at CH2M HILL in Centennial last fall. I liked how the recruiting website replicated my resume exactly as I formatted it. Most online websites convert one's painstaking formatted resume into a bland text representation. I did not expect to be interviewed because I really did not have the background CH2M wanted.

To my great surprise, a CH2M HILL legal department team member interviewed me by phone. This empathetic person had known my former employer and, by saying so, intimated to me she understood his nature (I concede I may have misread her in that regard.). She opened the door for me to sell myself and I did the best I could.

Two months later, a CH2M HR staffer sent me a rejection e-mail. This person misspelled the name of the position. She spelled it "paraleagal." Rejections are never pleasant to receive, but misspelling the position rubs salt into the wound. It also represents the company poorly - not that she should care because, to her, I was only an applicant.

I have applied to many positions and have never even received anything from them. I think they are like a lot of companies where they state that they need help, but in reality, they take whomever they can get the cheapest. They always say they are the one of the best companies to work for, but I question that with all the jobs open and an HR dept that once again has no customer service.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nikki Williams in Atlanta, Georgia

97 months ago

I have quite a few contacts within CH2M Hill and I am consistently hearing about new opportunities. If you would like to connect to me, send me an email to niwilliams@volt.com.

I look forward to speaking with anyone who I can add to my network of people. I am also on Linked In and would like to expand that network.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

R2 in Colorado Springs, Colorado

97 months ago

After having just completed the job search and interview process with CH2M HILL, I feel compelled to respond to many of the negative comments posted herein.

First, I found the candidate selection process to be professional, well thought out and deliberate. I first interviewed with three people who would have been my peers and leader. Arranged by the recruiter (who was very accommodating in times and dates available), it started on time, ended on time and the questions asked (and answered) were thoughtful. Was told two days later that I made it to round two of the interviews. This interview took longer to arrange, but that was because the three individuals with whom I would meet traveled out of country often and it was rather difficult to coordinate their schedules for this effort. Completely understandable. The second set of interviews (30 minutes with each person consecutively) also started and ended on time. There were many questions asked, but it was an enjoyable discussion overall. Was told later that day (after the interviews) that I was still a contender - one of two remaining. Alas, I did not make the final cut; the job was offered to the other candidate.

Bottom line for me, it was a disappointment to not be selected, but I have no hard feelings toward the company. In fact, the more I've learned about CH2M HILL, the more I've wanted to be a part. If you look through the information on their Web site, you'll see phenomenal growth, very interesting work and ample opportunities. If another job is posted appropriate for my level and experience, I'll definitely be putting my name in the hat.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Eric

97 months ago

Melissa in Roseville, California said: I am a Senior Recruiter with CH2M HILL and I am pleased to say that we are very stable and happily accepting resumes from all types of candidates! Please take the chance to learn more about us and visit www.ch2m.jobs !

Melissa,

I too am a Senior Recruiter and just applied to Sr. Recruiter position with your company in Denver, CO. any advice to get me an interview? I'm very qualified

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Andrew Roth in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

96 months ago

CH2M Hill was more responsive than most firms about my application status. Within two days of receiving my resume, a recruiter e-mailed me with notice that I was not being considered for the position. I appreciated getting such a timely, professional response, especially since several other firms never replied to my inquiries, and one failed to contact me after an in-person interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Burned out at CH in Denver, Colorado

96 months ago

Eric said: Melissa,

I too am a Senior Recruiter and just applied to Sr. Recruiter position with your company in Denver, CO. any advice to get me an interview? I'm very qualified

You DO NOT WANT TO WORK HERE. The joke is that CH was a "Fortune 100 best places to work" company in 2003 and 2005. That is no longer the case and this place is a sweat shop that only cares about squeezing as much out of you as possible. HR leadership is a total joke and incapable of moving this company forward.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Jason R in State College, Pennsylvania

95 months ago

Hi R2 in Colorado,
I have scheduled a phone call with CH2M next week, and I am quite nervous right now, because it is my dream job.
Could you please give me some suggestions? May I have your contact info please?
Thanks so much! My email is attaboyren@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sean Wilson in ankrage, Washington

89 months ago

look me up, or please sign me up you wont regret it i promise

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

S E Smith in Aurora, Colorado

74 months ago

I have to say, I am very impressed with this company. I didn't make it in but I plan on trying again. I applied for an accounting position. Interview went well; I interviewed with four people including the director. I thought the offices were nice, the people were very nice and nobody appeared to be stressed out...very pleasant experience. They went as far as offering me a position but recided it because of my credit. I did my best effort to avoid that, even paid off some debts and sent them proof. However, the damage was done so I had to keep my crappy job but I will definitely apply again when they have a position that interest me cuz I paid all those debts off so its gotta be all good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

S E Smith in Aurora, Colorado

74 months ago

Burned out at CH in Denver, Colorado said: You DO NOT WANT TO WORK HERE. The joke is that CH was a "Fortune 100 best places to work" company in 2003 and 2005. That is no longer the case and this place is a sweat shop that only cares about squeezing as much out of you as possible. HR leadership is a total joke and incapable of moving this company forward.

What is it about your job that has you so stressed out? Ever think about changing departments or positions? There is a lot of upside to that company so I dont understand how a person can be down on such a successful company that most people would kill to get into.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

kid0339 in Denver, Colorado

72 months ago

don't even waste your time trying to work here. The day after our former CEO passed away, a 20% cut in all admin budgets was ordered. Today, we were told that there is a hiring freeze until further notice. It's not the same place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

beautifulday in Charlotte, North Carolina

67 months ago

kid0339 in Denver, Colorado said: don't even waste your time trying to work here. The day after our former CEO passed away, a 20% cut in all admin budgets was ordered. Today, we were told that there is a hiring freeze until further notice. It's not the same place.

interesting I did not know-I was part of layoffs that happened right about the time the former CEO passed away. No hard feelings its just interesting. Thanks for the info and any more info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Johnny B Fury in Washington, District of Columbia

50 months ago

I worked for CH2M Hill in Ohio, and I can say it was one of the best career opportunities i've experienced thus far. Had it not been for the recession onslaught in 2008, I might still be with the company. I didn't get laid off....I left on my on terms to pursue a job with a little more stability in the shaky economy. From my experience, i'd recommend CH2M Hill without hesitation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kevin in Albuquerque, New Mexico

50 months ago

Johnny B Fury in Washington, District of Columbia said: I worked for CH2M Hill in Ohio, and I can say it was one of the best career opportunities i've experienced thus far. Had it not been for the recession onslaught in 2008, I might still be with the company. I didn't get laid off....I left on my on terms to pursue a job with a little more stability in the shaky economy. From my experience, i'd recommend CH2M Hill without hesitation.

i just applied for a job in king of prussia, pa. do you happen to have an HR contact that i could follow up with?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Johnny B Fury in Washington, District of Columbia

50 months ago

Kevin in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: i just applied for a job in king of prussia, pa. do you happen to have an HR contact that i could follow up with?

No, I sure don't. Wish I could help. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BN97201 in Portland, Oregon

44 months ago

Wow. Reading these comments from disgruntled employees is quite interesting.

Having worked for CH2M HILL for more than two decades while assigned to several different offices over the years (and having traveled to many, many, more), I think I can provide some feedback on how to get a job and what the company culture is.

Keep in mind, though: I'm part of the engineering/scientific consulting staff. We make up the majority of our employees and are the economic engine that fuels the majority of the company's revenues. The experiences of support staff, such as IT, HR, administrative assistants, accounting and miscellaneous other functions, will certainly be different.

If you want to get a job with CH2M HILL, the best avenue is to build professional relationships with other professionals who work for the company in your field. Seek out professional organizations or nonprofits in your area with which CH2M HILL staff are active. If you work for another company at the time, see if you can team with us.

If you're good at what you do and you have an insider with some seniority (read: influence) pushing for you, you stand a significantly better chance of being hired than if you simply reply to an opening via brass ring on the company's website. Not to denigrate our steadfast HR staff, but they don't really know what the consulting staff want when we open a position. Your best bet is to build relationships, discuss your interest in working for CH2M HILL with your peers (or more senior staff) that already work for the firm, and then have them get your resume to HR (or at least let them know you're applying via HR). If you're as good as you think you are, you should relatively easily get on a short list for an interview and stand a far better chance of seeing an offer. No guarantees, of course, but that will work far better than simply applying blindly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

krren88 in Norman, Oklahoma

44 months ago

BN97 Thanks for the help. Looking to mentor a young engineer?

BN97201 in Portland, Oregon

44 months ago

krren88 in Norman, Oklahoma said: BN97 Thanks for the help. Looking to mentor a young engineer?

I'm not sure I would be of help -- I'm a hydrogeologist rather than an engineer. I work with a number of engineers (civil, environmental, chemical, nuclear) and certainly understand the consulting business, but if you're looking for an engineer, you'll have to look elsewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

CH2M HILL’s Talent Acquisition Team in Lafayette, California

44 months ago

Thanks for taking the time to respond to these questions. On behalf of CH2M HILL, we are glad that your experience and your overall opinion of the company has been a positive. Thank you for your support. ~ CH2M HILL’s Talent Acquisition Team

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

krren88 in Norman, Oklahoma

44 months ago

CH2M HILL’s Talent Acquisition Team in Lafayette, California said: Thanks for taking the time to respond to these questions. On behalf of CH2M HILL, we are glad that your experience and your overall opinion of the company has been a positive. Thank you for your support. ~ CH2M HILL’s Talent Acquisition Team

Is there anything that an entry level civil engineer can stand out in the eyes of CH2M Hill?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

admad09 in Anchorage, Alaska

44 months ago

I am very impressed with CH2M HILL as a company it has showed major growth over the last two years, from reading about the different projects they have been involved in they always use cutting edge technology and innovation ways to manage their projects. I had a very good experience with them. The recruiter was very professional I was treated with respect, they were quick in their responses while going through the interview process(setting up as well as conducting a skills survey check) If you do your homework( I do a lot of reading on any company I wish to bea part of) you will definitely notice one thing about them, they are a diverse company, they are extremely detailed about hiring very well qualified people for the job. I am still waiting to hear back from them, but overall I am impressed with their interviewing and hiring process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

~ CH2M HILL’s Talent Acquisition Team in Lafayette, California

44 months ago

krren88 in Norman, Oklahoma said: Is there anything that an entry level civil engineer can stand out in the eyes of CH2M Hill?

When CH2M HILL is looking to hire entry level engineers, we really focus on those candidates with internships related to their degree as well as any volunteer or research opportunities in engineering. It is also helpful to develop a cover letter that addresses why you decided to become an engineer and to elaborate on what you have learned through internships and/or volunteer/research projects. ~ CH2M HILL’s Talent Acquisition Team

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tim H in Spokane, Washington

43 months ago

Host said: Do you work at CH2M HILL? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

I worked for CH2M Hill Plateau Remediation Company at Hanford Site, at Richland, WA. for the last 3 years.
I worked in the oil field for more the 2 years and then got on working at the Hanford Nuclear Site for the last 30 years. At the time I was in the well maintenance for 9 years. Then I got into over seeing the drilling as a Subcontractor Technical Representative. (STR)
CH2M Hill came alone in 2008 and took over the well drilling and all the pump and treat work. In them 3 years we drill over 300, some wells on the Site. Then in July of 2011 we got a notice that we will be lay off. Well I took an Personal Leave of absence till May of this year. Then I would have the option or be eligible for ROF Benefits and Post Retirement Benefits. Then at that time I could get my severance pay and go back to work or draw my unemployee.
But one good thing about H2M Hill that if they call me back before May, I wouldn't lose any of my Benefits.
I got less then 98 days to go, I hope thing look better in May for jobs for me.

Tim

Searching in Lafayette, Colorado

41 months ago

Does anyone know how long the job vacancies remain open for? I applied for an ideal role for my skills and the advert is still active 2 months later, with no feedback at all. Even the hiring manager does not give a response when contacted directly.

CH2M HILL’s Talent Acquisition Team in Lafayette, California

40 months ago

Searching in Lafayette, Colorado said: Does anyone know how long the job vacancies remain open for? I applied for an ideal role for my skills and the advert is still active 2 months later, with no feedback at all. Even the hiring manager does not give a response when contacted directly.

Hello – Thank you for your feedback. We typically remove job postings from our website when the position has been filled. We apologize that the hiring manager has not returned your email/call when you have reached out to them. We would be more than happy to look into this. If you could email us at hr@ch2m.com with your name and contact info as well as the name of the hiring manager, one of our recruiters will look into this and respond back to you with an update. ~ CH2M HILL’s Talent Acquisition Team

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Searching in Lafayette, Colorado

40 months ago

CH2M HILL’s Talent Acquisition Team in Lafayette, California said: Hello – Thank you for your feedback. We typically remove job postings from our website when the position has been filled. We apologize that the hiring manager has not returned your email/call when you have reached out to them. We would be more than happy to look into this. If you could email us at hr @ch2m.com with your name and contact info as well as the name of the hiring manager, one of our recruiters will look into this and respond back to you with an update. ~ CH2M HILL’s Talent Acquisition Team

Taking this approach still has not elicited a response

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

AR ARG in Colorado Springs, Colorado

40 months ago

Searching in Lafayette, Colorado said: Taking this approach still has not elicited a response

Telling someone that they did NOT get the job doesn't seem to be very high a priority for the CH2M staffing team or the hiring manager, at least in my case. Personally, the process was very thorough with multiple days/interviews with a range of employee levels, including execs. After my last day of interviews, I was told that I was one of two excellent candidates/finalists for the position. I left the CO HQ building on a cloud. After waiting patiently...anxiously....to hear about their decision, I had to call and email numerous times for more than eight weeks to get an answer even though they had told the other candidate she had the job. No clue why they'd want to keep stringing the candidate along vs making a clean break, but it was very disheartening. My best advice would be to move on to your next option, or call/email your recruiter and/or hiring manager often until you get an answer. P.S. The web posting for the position to which I applied was not removed until a few weeks after I finally heard from the recruiter that I did not get the position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CH2M HILL in Denver, Colorado

39 months ago

Searching in Lafayette, Colorado said: Taking this approach still has not elicited a response

Hello – we apologize that you have not received a response. However, that could be due to a glitch in our email system. If it isn’t too much of an inconvenience, we ask that you send us your email again regarding your situation. Please submit your email to hr@ch2m.com. Thank you!

- CH2M HILL’s Talent Acquisition Team

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

CH2M HILL in Denver, Colorado

36 months ago

Host said: Do you work at CH2M HILL? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Here is an answer from Anne V. with the CH2M HILL Talent Acquisition team:

"I knew I wanted to target engineering/construction/consulting firms, so I saved searches on the Career websites of the competitors for the firm I was working for at the time and would apply as openings became available."

Searching in Portland, Oregon

35 months ago

I have been trying to make contact with CH2MHILL in Portland and am having no luck. There is a job posting for a environmental geologist that I am qualified for but cant get an interview. Want to meet for coffee? :)

BN97201 in Portland, Oregon said:
If you want to get a job with CH2M HILL, the best avenue is to build professional relationships with other professionals who work for the company in your field. Seek out professional organizations or nonprofits in your area with which CH2M HILL staff are active. If you work for another company at the time, see if you can team with us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

EcOsUrF in Houston Area

31 months ago

Up until this month, I had worked for CH2MHill a little over two years in Iraq and Afghanistan. What I can tell you is that if yu are fortunate to get on with CH2M, you will not regret it. The overseas benefits are GREAT and the company really takes care of their employees. The best way I have found, beside to just keep applying for positions, it to find folks who are already in the company and ask for their assistance. I got my position by just applying online and was fortunate to have the right skill set at the right time. Keep trying, and as Anne V. said, send those resumes in...

Thanks and all the best to you all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Grateful2BGone in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

23 months ago

I don't know what city you are in, but if you are in Pittsburgh, you don't want to work here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

valerie in Anchorage, Alaska

1 month ago

admad09 in Anchorage, Alaska said: I am very impressed with CH2M HILL as a company it has showed major growth over the last two years, from reading about the different projects they have been involved in they always use cutting edge technology and innovation ways to manage their projects. I had a very good experience with them. The recruiter was very professional I was treated with respect, they were quick in their responses while going through the interview process(setting up as well as conducting a skills survey check) If you do your homework( I do a lot of reading on any company I wish to bea part of) you will definitely notice one thing about them, they are a diverse company, they are extremely detailed about hiring very well qualified people for the job. I am still waiting to hear back from them, but overall I am impressed with their interviewing and hiring process.

i am in the hiring process as well... My first phone interview went very well I felt. the recruiters that contacted me were very professional and conversational, no stress or put on the spot questions. Still waiting to be called in for my second interview... keeping my fingers crossed that i get it... I feel that this is a very safety oriented company and i like that, as i am as well... I did some research of my own and was very comfortable with what i have read thus far.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.