How to get a job at Charter Communications.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (28)

Host

Do you work at Charter Communications? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

Jamie Isham in Saginaw, Michigan

90 months ago

No I do not work for Charter Communications. I heard about the job from watching TV5 news. I like a new challange. I'm great working with people. A new challange is a great experiance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Jamie Isham in Saginaw, Michigan

90 months ago

I would like to note that i am not from saginaw. But I live in Auburn, MI..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

maura boland in Traverse City, Michigan

90 months ago

I have tried to get a response everytime I reply I get no response, I even called and they didn't really reply and I was more than qualified.

Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Mary Kelly in East Lansing, Michigan

90 months ago

maura boland said: I have tried to get a response everytime I reply I get no response, I even called and they didn't really reply and I was more than qualified.
Good luck

Is this the Maura Boland of Grand Rapids, Portland, and unknown parts west? This is a blast from your so-recent past. If you've ever been to the North Club, reply here!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Ron

89 months ago

I certainly understand where you are coming from because I was called in for an interview and drove 60 miles to get to a 1:00 interview. I showed up 15 mins early and I was waiting for an hour past my sheduled time. I was interviewed and felt it presented myself well. I have 10 years of experience and knowledge of communicaations systems and am more than qualified. I asked when I may expect to hear back and was told in approximately 1 week. I never received a reply back and I even called several times and did not get a return call. I feel that if this is the type of non professionalism given then perhaps I would not want to work for such a company. I would not recommend working for this company to anyone unless you have no ethics.....I am sure my experience and knowledge will be an asset to the competition...it is this type of practice which causes failure in companies such as Charter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Tacoma, Washington

88 months ago

You know <Edited by Host: Name Removed> (one of the original Microsoft founders) owns this company, don't you? He is known for squandering his money on bad business deals ("giving away" the Rose Garden that the Trailblazers play in and then buying it back) and his quirky hobbies (such as the Music Experience museum in Seattle (a real money loser!), the Trailblazers, Jimmy Hendrix's grave, etc.) Perhaps he should spend more money on his employee's salaries and benefit packages (and then he wouldn't have to recruit so often!)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Michael in Easley, South Carolina

87 months ago

Charter is a great place to work, play and socialize. The atmosphere is good as well. I understand a few of you that have visited this page may be a bit frustrated with the process but with job fairs, millions of online applications/resumes to review and other HR activities one can not promise a call back, just a further review at most.

That is how most companies work, that's what most individuals do not expect a call back after an interview regarding potentially good or bad news. Don't let it frustrate you that much. If you really wish to be a part of something never give up. Remember, be persistent!

Anyhow, if you are trying to secure a position with this company then I recommend that you have some experience in the position that you are applying for, some general knowledge of the company, an association between you and the company (why do you want to work here, what can you do for us, etc etc) and of course answer the interview questions honestly and with confidence (more on this later).

The interview questions will consist on really basic questions (usually depends on the area and/or the company/industry), some questions that I was asked were:

Describe a difficult situation with a customer that was very upset and how you handled it?

Describe a situation where you had to take leadership of a situation?

Basic things like that to examine your personality as well as tailor you to the job.

Good luck to everyone.

-Michael C.

Greenville, SC

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Edward in Kenner, Louisiana

86 months ago

I just got a call for an interview on Friday.
The number I was given to call to confirm was disconnected.
The number of the bloke that called leads to company voice mail.
My calls to CS are answered by confused people that keep sending me back to more confused CS people that eventually find and forward me to the company voice mail.

Sooo, I guess I won't be interviewing since I cannot find out where to go?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

scooter in Auburn, Alabama

85 months ago

how do you get an interview?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Mary Kelly in East Lansing, Michigan said: Is this the Maura Boland of Grand Rapids, Portland, and unknown parts west? This is a blast from your so-recent past. If you've ever been to the North Club, reply here!

Mary Mary where are thee, I live in Traverse City with MY HUSBAND>>>>>

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

A Harris in Traverse City, Michigan

84 months ago

maura boland in Traverse City, Michigan said: I have tried to get a response everytime I reply I get no response, I even called and they didn't really reply and I was more than qualified.

Good luck

Maura,
I am interested in what phone # you used to contact Charter HR. I would like to follow up on a position I applied for and am not able to find out where I should call.
Thanks! A

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Catherine in Simpsonville, South Carolina

84 months ago

Sarah in Austin, Texas said: Many Charter Communications employees do not have their high school diplomas, GED's, or college educations. They do not value the importance of higher education. They also hire those that have DUI's and are currently on the sex offender registry. Some of the employees are really good people, however, many of the office employees are absolute IDIOTS!!!

It's unfortunate when people insert their uniformed opinions about a company. As with any position, with any company, education level will depend on the position.

I started out as a CSR in college, which Charter paid $5000 per year for 3 years, and finally worked my way up to an Account Executive (after earning my degree).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Catherine in Simpsonville, South Carolina said: It's unfortunate when people insert their uniformed opinions about a company. As with any position, with any company, education level will depend on the position.

I started out as a CSR in college, which Charter paid $5000 per year for 3 years, and finally worked my way up to an Account Executive (after earning my degree).

The really situation is that in the area I live there are not enough jobs for anyone. I have plenty of experience and have no DUI or sex offenses so I guess that leaves me out, I do have over 17 years of experience and have worked in the position I was looking at nuermous times. So the obvious is not the answer I was looking for...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Catherine in Simpsonville, South Carolina

84 months ago

maura boland in Traverse City, Michigan said: The really situation is that in the area I live there are not enough jobs for anyone. I have plenty of experience and have no DUI or sex offenses so I guess that leaves me out, I do have over 17 years of experience and have worked in the position I was looking at nuermous times. So the obvious is not the answer I was looking for...

Perhaps it's your writing skills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Catherine in Simpsonville, South Carolina said: Perhaps it's your writing skills.

You might be right. Perhaps it is my writing skills. But it could be that I wrote my reply and didn't get a chance to proof it before I sent it along. But either way you got me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kolleen prasnick in wakefield, Michigan

76 months ago

maura boland in Traverse City, Michigan said: You might be right. Perhaps it is my writing skills. But it could be that I wrote my reply and didn't get a chance to proof it before I sent it along. But either way you got me.

Hi, I'm trying to get a hold of mike ennenga. I think you are his girlfriend. If you could help that would be great. kolleen prasnick and gruff leatham

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

RhythmAngelWA in Vancouver, Washington

76 months ago

Man, nice sales pitch from a few of you. Too bad it's for a company that does not really care much about it's employees. Stats and dollars over customer care and employee care. Wouldn't it make more sense to do things to improve customer relations and employee morale? I guess not since they have yet to do it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kelly261 in Saginaw, Michigan

75 months ago

I would not recommend working for this company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

SarahJones1970 in Caledonia, Michigan

73 months ago

I did work for Charter for almost a year. I just re-applied. I LOVED my job! I made excellent pay, most of the people were polite and friendly, and I made some genuine friends while working there. As with any situation, there will always be those "few" people that just seem to be out to destroy anyone they can drag down with them. One word of advice: If you are one of those "old fashioned" people that are very prejudice and cannot handle a diverse workplace, this job is NOT for you. You must be completely open-minded and willing to "fit in" with a group at any point in time. Don't do drugs, show up on time, do your job, you'll be GREAT! Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

KaRi from LBCTelevision in Long Beach, California

72 months ago

I got offered a job site unseen for an on-camera position (shows over dish & direct) because of some post on a message board I made about Charter Comunications (host to Long Beach, CA's cable access TV station).

A silar post to yelp.com giving Charter Counications caused yelp to shut sown my account. (Their loss - this is about the only place you'll ever see me mention yelp again!)

I turned it down because I only work BEHIND the lens, not in front of it but I recommended someone else who would be perfect for the position earning #4350-$500 per hour. (Wow, just one hour would have paid my rent!)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

strate8 in Ormond Beach, Florida

69 months ago

I work for Charter as a csr. I am a video repair agent and field on average sixty calls a shift. AlthoUgh Charter does pay fair for the way the countries economic status is at present. The one place that Charter is lacking in the pay department is with the commisions that they offer the csr's for upselling their customers, they forget that we the csr's have to listen to each and everyone of these customers gripe about the service they receive from Charter. Well let me say this first of all you people that choose to subscribe to Charter Communications I really don't give a damned if you have cable tv or HSI or even telephone service for that matter. If you are that damned STUPID that you cannot tune your tv to the proper channel to receive cable or if you are that STUPID that you cannot press the right button to get the right video source or if you are that dumb you cannot turn on the power or pay your cable bill or electric bill or any of the other dumb excuses you use to call and run your mouth to an agent that is there to assist people that have a genuine problem, you DO NOT DESERVE to have cable tv hsi or telephone service. GET YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR BUTTS AND THINK!

And now for all you ignorant jerks from the 314 area code go f@#& yourselves who do you think you are? You are the rudest people on the face of the earth. And this is for you jerks from California, I hope the whole state falls off into the ocean and you all go with it. And lets not forget about you idiots in Wisconsin, to bad for you! And don't even get me going on those people from Illinios they have as much smarts as a box of rocks. And last but not least Texas the lone star state, the state with the biggest butt holes known to mankind.

If any of you had the manners that you were raised with the world would be a better place for all, but you all believe you are owed something and just what is it that you think you are owed? NOTHING GET IT NOTHING!....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

jpren2006 in Greenville, South Carolina

64 months ago

I recently had a interview with charter for a tech position about 2 weeks ago. i was told that saturday that they wanted to send a pre offer to HR and they will let me know when and where I am suppose to have a drug test and good stuff. it has been over two weeks and no response. The person that hired me told me to be patient and they will call me. Does anyone know how long this usually takes?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

lthomas0301 in Saint Paul, Minnesota

59 months ago

<snip>

. Well let me say this first of all you people that choose to subscribe to Charter Communications I really don't give a damned if you have cable tv or HSI or even telephone service for that matter. If you are that damned STUPID that you cannot tune your tv to the proper channel to receive cable or if you are that STUPID that you cannot press the right button to get the right video source or if you are that dumb you cannot turn on the power or pay your cable bill or electric bill or any of the other dumb excuses you use to call and run your mouth to an agent that is there to assist people that have a genuine problem, you DO NOT DESERVE to have cable tv hsi or telephone service. GET YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR BUTTS AND THINK!

And now for all you ignorant jerks from the 314 area code go f@#& yourselves who do you think you are? You are the rudest people on the face of the earth. And this is for you jerks from California, I hope the whole state falls off into the ocean and you all go with it. And lets not forget about you idiots in Wisconsin, to bad for you! And don't even get me going on those people from Illinios they have as much smarts as a box of rocks. And last but not least Texas the lone star state, the state with the biggest butt holes known to mankind.

If any of you had the manners that you were raised with the world would be a better place for all, but you all believe you are owed something and just what is it that you think you are owed? NOTHING GET IT NOTHING!....

HERE HERE!!! I work at Charter as a Broadband Tech and you just described a typical workday for me. A lot of whiny types, very few appreciative one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Wyoming, Michigan

45 months ago

Sarah in Austin, Texas said: Many Charter Communications employees do not have their high school diplomas, GED's, or college educations. They do not value the importance of higher education. They also hire those that have DUI's and are currently on the sex offender registry. Some of the employees are really good people, however, many of the office employees are absolute IDIOTS!!!

THIS is an outright lie! I just got hired and they do a criminal background check and they check to see if you are a high school graduate. Stop lying about what you know nothing about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Naveen_Abimanyu in Schenectady, New York

43 months ago

Michael in Easley, South Carolina said: Charter is a great place to work, play and socialize. The atmosphere is good as well. I understand a few of you that have visited this page may be a bit frustrated with the process but with job fairs, millions of online applications/resumes to review and other HR activities one can not promise a call back, just a further review at most.

That is how most companies work, that's what most individuals do not expect a call back after an interview regarding potentially good or bad news. Don't let it frustrate you that much. If you really wish to be a part of something never give up. Remember, be persistent!

Anyhow, if you are trying to secure a position with this company then I recommend that you have some experience in the position that you are applying for, some general knowledge of the company, an association between you and the company (why do you want to work here, what can you do for us, etc etc) and of course answer the interview questions honestly and with confidence (more on this later).

The interview questions will consist on really basic questions (usually depends on the area and/or the company/industry), some questions that I was asked were:

Describe a difficult situation with a customer that was very upset and how you handled it?

Describe a situation where you had to take leadership of a situation?

Basic things like that to examine your personality as well as tailor you to the job.

Good luck to everyone.

-Michael C.

Greenville, SC

Mike,
I need some help.

I was interviewed by Charter recently for the post of Project Manager, though I didnt hear back from them am pretty confident I'll make it thru....if in case it happens....is it a good option to join Charter...for all the bad remarks am reading in this forum...its making me think twice.

Please advice
Nav
hartford, CT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ekindred in Fernley, Nevada

22 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Charter Communications ? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Hi, I applied through Indeed.com as a Dispatcher I. I applied in August 2012 and start my new position on October 29th. It just takes a while. My first interview was via phone, then a few weeks later a face to face in the local office. Then about 5 or 6 days later I received the news I wanted, a job offer. I am now waiting for my background check and drug test and a confirmation of my start date.

I hope all goes well for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Babylise in Lithia Springs, Georgia

21 months ago

I applied in September, interviewed in October, and was offered a postion November 5th as a Dispatcher. I sent in the information for my background check on November 8th and my tentative start date of November 19th has come and gone with no news from the company performing the background check nor Charter. I have called 4 times and not once have a gotten an answer on if or when i will be able to start. I'm seeing background checks take about 48 hours generally so does anyone know how long it takes charter to get back to would be new hires? Has anyone had this problem with charter?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.