How to get a job at Chevron.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 1222)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

toyabeat in Mississippi

90 months ago

bob snow in California said: I had 1 of the highest scores out of the 191 people who took the COBRA test( as told to me by 1 of the CCS employees who administered the test) & have nearly 17 years of industrial maintanence/construction experience, my NCCER Millwright cert / LARSO cert & I didnt get a job. Just letting everyone know what theyre up against.

What position did you apply for??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

toyabeat in Mississippi

90 months ago

Marcus Vinson in Gulfport, Mississippi said: Wow, Mobile. That's a nice little ride for testing. Best of luck to you.

I have been researching the COBRA's and all that I can tell you is that the first two hours are training, the second hour (possibly more) is practice, and the final hours(s) are testing.

I know that the COBRA test is a simulation, and from what I have read, level-headedness, and the ability to multi-task are very important. Also, being quick with a mouse doesn't hurt.

Finally, I have learned that there are a couple of situation where, no matter what you do, there will be alerts that you cannot prevent, but you must be able to react to them properly and swiftly.

Best of luck!

took cobra test and passed. As long as you take your time and read carefully, you will be fine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

marcusvinson in Gulfport, Mississippi

89 months ago

Just in case there is anyone out there that is still holding on to a thread of hope,
I called CCS today to get some insight on the hiring process thus far.

I found out for certain that those who do not apply for the Operation position do not go through COBRA testing. Yes, I know this has been mentioned before, but I thought it would be nice for everyone to hear it (nearly) directly from CCS.

Also, people like myself, who applied for maintenance, as told to me by a CCS employee today, no one has been notified yet about their hiring situation.

So, if you haven't heard yet, it's simply because they haven't made a determination yet. They informed me that they should begin notifying people in the next few weeks (I think by the end of February), and everyone (regardless of hire status) will be notified by email.

Hope this helps someone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

hmac in Torrance, California

89 months ago

My husband went through all phases of applying including the interview and he also heard that they haven't done any hiring as of yet and they don't expect to until March. Applicants should hear by the end of February. This is for the positions in El Segundo, CA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

chuckgallton in Daphne, Alabama

89 months ago

Marcus Vinson in Gulfport, Mississippi said: Just in case there is anyone out there that is still holding on to a thread of hope,
I called CCS today to get some insight on the hiring process thus far.

I found out for certain that those who do not apply for the Operation position do not go through COBRA testing. Yes, I know this has been mentioned before, but I thought it would be nice for everyone to hear it (nearly) directly from CCS.

Also, people like myself, who applied for maintenance, as told to me by a CCS employee today, no one has been notified yet about their hiring situation.

So, if you haven't heard yet, it's simply because they haven't made a determination yet. They informed me that they should begin notifying people in the next few weeks (I think by the end of February), and everyone (regardless of hire status) will be notified by email.

Hope this helps someone!

I passed the 1st round of testing also, but have not been contacted in regards to the Cobra testing. Did they give you any insite into whether or not all applicants selected for Cobra testing have already been notified?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

It depends on which position you applied for.
If you went for Operations, then yes, you missed out, because the COBRA testing has already been done.

If, however, you applied for a maintenance position, no decisions have been made yet, and you will be notified by email either way.

Go to www.chevron.apply2jobs.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.showLogin

and login. Then go to Jobs I've applied to, and check your status.

That's about all that I know to tell you.

Best of luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

aper aperoyan in Los Angeles, California

89 months ago

hey guys i got an email from chevron today saying i didn't get the job for the refinery trainee. what a waste of time. i thought i had a good chance because im only 24 (i actually turned 25 today), have a bachelors degree in economics with a minor in chemistry from a well known university, have general automotive knowledge and im physically fit. what a great birthday present. too bad... land of opportunity huh. yea right

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

aper aperoyan in Los Angeles, California said: hey guys i got an email from chevron today saying i didn't get the job for the refinery trainee. what a waste of time. i thought i had a good chance because im only 24 (i actually turned 25 today), have a bachelors degree in economics with a minor in chemistry from a well known university, have general automotive knowledge and im physically fit. what a great birthday present. too bad... land of opportunity huh. yea right

Sorry to hear that. Happy birthday, though.
It's a tough market out there, so keep that head high.

melindagates in Seattle, Washington

88 months ago

I suggest you have an industry HR professional or recruiter review your resume to better align with Chevron's mandates specifically. These professionals have insider info that can help your resume make it through automatic resume screeners and as well attract the attention of human readers through relevant phrasing techniques. Also, they might be able to help you get your resume through to the actual recruiter of a job rather than into a database where you are simply assigned a number. I recommend you try an inexpensive service called ResumeGuru (www.resumeguru.us) that comes backed by a money-back guarantee against canned responses and poor workmanship.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lshdvs in Texas

86 months ago

Hi CDR,

I recently graduated from college (2008) and am interested in working for the ETC Division of Chevron in Houston. I am currently employed as Chemical Engineer with 1 year experience in the consulting industry.

Do you have any advice or suggestions for me? Do you know what experience/background Chevron looks for? I am mainly looking for that first interview. I have been told the summer is not the ideal hiring time for Chevron.

Thank you for all of your time and help. Congrats on the job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

orh1 in Belle Chasse, Louisiana

81 months ago

Can anyone give any advice on the aptitude test for an operator? Is there any way to prepare for this test? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (89) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jim Bean in Salt Lake City, Utah

81 months ago

Just took the first test for the Refinery Operator Trainee and passed, have to take COBRA on Friday... I'm sure I can handle it from all the video games and similar things I have done in the past. But I have no experience, and this is the career field I really want to be in.

Just wondering what the CCS background check involves... Because now that I think about it I forgot to add a job I worked for 2 days back in January 2008 on my application and I don't want to be denied for not putting in all the valid information.

Any ideas if the consumer report will involve an employment check to see where and when I have been employed in the past? If that job shows up will I be disqualified for not putting it on the application?

Thanks in advance :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

vivienneedham in Hillsborough, North Carolina

79 months ago

Can anyone out there help find the link to send a resume on the Chevron website?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jason in Abilene, Texas

62 months ago

Came across this forum by accident but glad I did so I can tell you my story with Chevron.

First of all they are the most unprofessional, disorganized company I have ever dealt with in my 20+ years of interviewing. Its starts out with their testing procedures. They are unwilling to work with you as far as test times and dates. Everything is only held one day at one time which is ridiculous. I passed their aptitude test and their COBRA tests but had to call into work each day because of their unwillingness to be flexible with the tests. Do not know if they think everyone that is applying is unemployeed but its far fetched to think that giving a person only 3 or 4 days notice to arrange something to make these tests is ridiculous. Made the interview process which again was a disaster. The secretary called me twice to reschedule because she lost her scheduling book and then again it could only be held on ONE day. At least they gave me 3 times to choose from. Lucky I happened to be off on that day. Next their human resources calls my work place to confirm my employeement which put me in a bad place at my work because they now knew why I was calling in sick. They make you fill out another application which again is stupid because they should already have your application and resume on file from applying on their website. Interview was with 5 guys that kept grilling about experience even though the job stated that none was necessary. The final straw was they told me either way that they would call me if I got the job or not. Again another lie as they sent the e-mail of death. I ended up getting let go from my job trying to jump through Chevron's hoops and their screwup of contacting my human resources before I was offered or denied a position. Luckily I got on at Valero their interview process is only 2 weeks long and much more professional without the BS computer games and aptitude tests. Hopefully Chevron does not treat current employees like they do potential ones.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

rcally in Huntington Beach, California

61 months ago

Brother711 in Singapore, Singapore said: Guys could u email me the ques that CHEVRON ASK in the interview as well?? It would be very helpful.. my email is fay_711@hotmail.com ...Im taking the cobra test next week. Thank u my future colleagues!..

Thats weird im pretty sure they got rid of the cobra test... did u apply to the el segundo refinery?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

rcally in Huntington Beach, California

61 months ago

Hey jason so you applied for the chevron refinery in texas? when was your interview? minw was at the el segundo refinery in ca at the begging of march i know of a few ppl that got into the interveiw process and one got the "email of death" and me and another did not. although they both got on to interview for operations and i got on to interview for a machinist. i still have yet to hear anything but no news is good news. i do know they had some major emergency shutdowns at the refinery which is why i think their taking so long for me to get any news.. but i knew going into this that it would take at least 6 months to get in... Valero must be alot different because i know exxon and connoco and bp etc are all very similar to chevron

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

brader in Singapore, Singapore

61 months ago

rcally in Huntington Beach, California said: Thats weird im pretty sure they got rid of the cobra test... did u apply to the el segundo refinery?

well i took the cobra test and PASS.. but sadly i failed the panel interview. Mine is a plant in Singapore cause im staying here LOL!... how i wish i can go ca and apply Chevron in El segundo refinery.. LOL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tofuman in San Francisco, California

59 months ago

I'm taking the Chevron’s O&M pre-assessment testing as operator trainee next week, any advice, recommendations, study guides would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (76) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

sushi man in Salt Lake City, Utah

55 months ago

I took the O&M pre-assessment test for a operator trainee a week ago and passed. I have my panel interview in a couple days. As far as a COBRA interview, I have not had to take anything close to what I found online about it. But it may be after the panel interview.
For the O&M assessment, I would recommend you brush up on your physics, especially concerning hydraulics. The O&M I took was broken down into 3 sections you get 45 min on each section. The first was "Industrial Mechanics" and focused mostly on physics, levers, pulleys, some basic math (you only get scratch paper, no calculator) and mostly common sense.
The second section was on "Industrial Information" I had never taken a test like this it was about chart readings, understanding layouts and gauges. And following basic instruction. One particular question had a CAD layout of some conveyor and you had to determine what direction the assembly line was moving. As well as answer some questions about measurements on the conveyor, involving adding fractions.
The third section was a 120 question personality test, I cant say much about this other then that I passed. All together the test is about 3 hours to take and 205 questions total.
Hope this helps you out, also what I used for study material was a yellow book labeled "Industrial Mechanics" that I borrowed from my brother who is using it in his classes at the tech college. Written by Albert W. Kemp
Hopes this helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

NMORGAN in Friendswood, Texas

55 months ago

my fiance went through the interview at his college and finally they called and offered him the job in New Mexico, he has done the drug and hair follice test and we are going on the third week waiting for the damn background check to come back. Does it usually take this long? His start date in Jan. 16 but how are we and our kids suppose to up and move if they only give us a week or two? Confused please helpl

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

koalition

53 months ago

Anyone here test and interview for Kapolei, HI refinery? (Refinery Operator Trainee) Any word from Chevron?

Hotrod in Elmwood Park, Illinois

53 months ago

I am also very interested- do you answer the ringing phone!? Lol what other detailed scene rips are in this cobra operations simulation!? I was just informed I will be getting a call to take this very soon and I have no clue what it is or any operations experience for that matter, I am a maintenance contractor. PLEASE HELP lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

koalition

53 months ago

I'm pretty sure the COBRA portion is phased out. You apply when they have openings (Operator Trainee), take the test, and if you pass, get a panel interview, and then wait for the selection process to be completed and get notified yea or nea by email. While waiting, no news is good news i guess.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bwilliams81 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

51 months ago

does anyone know anything about Chevron test?

stew in Beaumont, Texas

51 months ago

I have to take the test in louisiana tomorrow for the operator position, but am skeptical of going because i have a degree in instrumentation and I dont want to drive 4 hours out and get overlooked because i dont have a degree in process operations

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bojav in Honolulu, Hawaii

51 months ago

@stew-If you're testing for operator trainee, and have no prior experience or schooling in refinery process, your odds are slim in being hired regardless of the position title of "trainee". You can ace the test, have a successful interview with glowing reviews from the panel, only to get rejected by the corporate recruiters after months of anxiety waiting for the final "yea or nea" email. My best advice would be to take the test anyway, and move forward with your life and let the God sort out the rest. If you make it to the next step, hoorah! Complete that and move on again. You will never know the outcome of your journey with Chevron unless you take the first step. Who knows? You might get blessed and make it all the way to getting hired! Good luck!
@bwilliams-Read through the previous replies to find out your answer.

Krissi KG in Houston, Texas

51 months ago

I'm testing for a Operators position next week. Can anyone say anything about the test? I don't think its the Cobra test. The last Cobra test I took was scheduled for 5 hours. The test next week is only 3 and a half hours. I'm thinking its a aptitude test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hotrod

51 months ago

If its the one I just took for Marathon last Sat. that was 3.5hrs... it was ridiculously easy. I am a bit confused since I was VERY confident I aced it (when other idiots there seemed to struggle with it) yet I just RECIEVED a denial for an interview...? I'm really shocked. It was only 90 questions and there weren't any math problems we couldn't solve with the calculator provided....I was amazed at how easy they made it. Good luck, I'd like to know what you learn from your experience.

bbob in San Francisco, California

51 months ago

I have to tell you that my experience working for Chevron has not been great. They are all about the stock price, nothing about the customers and employees. They make it pretty obvious in their corporate mission statement and my experience here agrees. I'm stuck until retirement but would not make the same mistake of accepting a job here if I knew then what I know now. I've seen them give laid off employees their severance package as a retirment plan contribution so Chevron would not have to pay the employer side of Social Security. Leaves the employee having to pay a 10% penalty to get their money out to live on. Do your homework.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

neice in Pflugerville, Texas

51 months ago

I just applied for maintenance for chevron I'm a heavy eqiipment operator I been 1 for 8yrs. Do you think they are going to call me

Jay in Houston, Texas

50 months ago

I'm scheduled to take the "Cobra" test for Chevron Refinery in Baytown,Texas. Does anyone know what kind of material is on it? Also, is there anything that I can study to help me pass it?

Thanks.
Jay

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Jay in Houston, Texas said: I'm scheduled to take the "Cobra" test for Chevron Refinery in Baytown,Texas. Does anyone know what kind of material is on it? Also, is there anything that I can study to help me pass it?

Thanks.
Jay

I'm scheduled to take it next Wednesday. I've taken the cobra test before. Very easy. It's a computer test that trains you how to operator a simple distillation system. You have a X amount of time for tutorial and X amount of time to run a few practice rounds then you start the TEST. The test i took had 4 test that got harder after the other.

And don't freak out at the end. They want to see how quickly you get the situation under control. Good Luck.

web in Baytown, Texas

50 months ago

I took the COBRA test this week. On the 3rd final test I did have an alarm hit 100% in a storage tank. I did have small spill..wondering if that is enogh to make you fail. Everything else was met. The 4th test is the hardest with them shutting down equipment and causing a lot of upsets. I did have a flaring event on pressure of the condestate drum. Not sure how it is scored. I did hear a lot of moans and groans on test 4 so I am sure it is difficult for everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

jay2689 in Houston, Texas

50 months ago

Does anyone know if Chevron will hire you if you have misdemeanors on your background?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Krissi KG in Houston, Texas said: I'm scheduled to take it next Wednesday. I've taken the cobra test before. Very easy. It's a computer test that trains you how to operator a simple distillation system. You have a X amount of time for tutorial and X amount of time to run a few practice rounds then you start the TEST. The test i took had 4 test that got harder after the other.

And don't freak out at the end. They want to see how quickly you get the situation under control. Good Luck.

^^^^ this is bascially it for the COBRA test. Don't freak out like he said. It's going to happen to everyone. You'll hear it. Pretty simple test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed in Lafayette, California

50 months ago

HAIR AND URINE
Recent college grad that took adderall during finals. Got a job offer found out it was hair and had to turn it down =(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Has anyone heard anything from the Cedar Bayou plant?

mspyder39@*****.*** in Baytown, Texas

50 months ago

Krissi KG in Houston, Texas said: Has anyone heard anything from the Cedar Bayou plant?

Not yet I thought they said this week they would let us know. How did your interview go?

50 months ago

Not yet, I thought they said we would hear something this week. How did your interview go?

50 months ago

yea that's what they said. I thought it went pretty good, but I guess we'll find out. I still don't know how many they were looking to hire.

50 months ago

They didnt say. Hopefully a bunch! I cant stand the waiting, I look at my phone every 5 minutes.

50 months ago

Yea I'm hoping it's a bunch too. I'm always looking at my phone and checking the emails on it.

stew

50 months ago

I really hate the email of death

50 months ago

Yup, I have gotten plenty of those

50 months ago

same here.

stew

49 months ago

I remember I got one the same day I applied im like wth

49 months ago

I hope they let us know before the weekend. It would be a very long weekend if they don't, but I also want them to take their time.

Excited!! in Richmond, Texas

49 months ago

Hello All, I just landed an interview for an Accounting Analyst at Chevron... Any advice???

49 months ago

Hear anything today guys?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

joshgibson07 in Markham, Texas

49 months ago

COBRA test tips:

Your gonna be giving a model distillation system on the computer which you will practice with scenarios. After you practice, you will be given four 10-15 minute scenarios to execute. Some of the scenarios start the plant out in bad condition so when they start immediately open trends and begin adjusting your process for 1-2 minutes to achieve a fair balance (don't be near the yellow) within your trends. You want to do this because you will have no warning shutoffs of your fin fans for your overheads, or because the feed valve will get stuck, you may lose your heater etc. Your overheads and bottoms go to tanks, and there are two of them for each product line. You will have to switch them before they get to full, but you cannot switch till they are 90% minimum. This percentage is on another screen will not always fill at the same rate. Check on this frequently it loves to fill-up at the time you get a message or are adjusting conditions for a process incident.

Another thing is you have to make a specific amount of product, so eventually you will have to force close the valves feeding the tanks causing you to adjust your process–-again, important to keep those trends inline. Know that once you close the all the valves (overheads, bottoms) to the storage tanks close your feed valve line. Do your best to try and recycle your process before the times up.

#1 thing is safety, so if you have to lower rates to control the process do that; which I know is hard when you don't know what one valve or heat value affects another parameter. Main thing to study on is basic distillation column troubleshooting, learn how to adjust your process for an equipment failure. The test is frustrating because you don't really get to practice with it, everything you do follows a scenario so there is a bad learning curve coming into the more challenging scenarios; I'm sure lots of people flared and spill process from tanks. Just stay focused and best of luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.