How to get a job at Chevron.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 640)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

1951 sparkplug in Long Beach, California

81 months ago

Sounds great Bob!! I truly wish you the best!! Quick question how did you hear from them so soon? I got an e-mail on November the 11th saying congrats on passing of cobra test, Chevron dose intend to give you an interview but due to holidays interviewing was gonna be schedualed for january/febuary.I know they have those fifty openings but the chick said 25 positions to be filled in january and another 25 in april or may.Was there a lot of people there interviewing? And if so were they all expirienced in the field?

And so what was all that crap about no experience needed...we will train you...yata,yata,yata?

Anyways CONGRATS BOB AND GOOD LUCK!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

aper aperoyan in Los Angeles, California

81 months ago

1951 sparkplug, i also received the same email from chevron, but i haven't received any phone calls. i also do not have any relevant experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

hey guys just got a call for an interview in january. can you guys give me any advice for the interview. thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

CONGRATS!! REALLY DONT HAVE MUCH ADVICE ON INTERVIEWING EXCEPT FOR BE STRAIGHT UP WITH THEM BUT I GOT MORE OF A QUESTION FOR YOU WHO CONTACTED YOU? WAS IT CHEVRON OR CERTIFIED CUSTOMIZED STAFFING? IM STILL WAITING FOR MY PHONE CALL HOPEFULLY I WILL GET IT SOON

GOOD LUCK ON THAT INTERVIEW BY THE WAY WHAT DAY IS IT?

LATER, THANKS

bob snow in California

80 months ago

FYI...I didnt get the job. I waited 5 weeks after the interview & Chevron sent me an email the other day, telling me I wouldnt be moving on in the hiring process. I contacted Chevron`s HR & they would not tell me why I wasnt chosen.

All the interview questions are work related.

CCS staffing will contact you regarding the interview.

80 months ago

Sorry to here that Bob.I was really rooting for you figured if you got in with that felony on your record i might have a chance, still gonna give it my all. I actualy just got called this morning for an interview middle of next month by CCS.

is it really two hours long? is it a bunch of suits throwing question at you left and right or a little less formal?

Thanks for the info. LATERS!

80 months ago

sorry to hear that bob. hopefully you'll get a job at another refinery. and congrats to you sparkplug on the interview. i tend to get nervous at interviews. bob you think you can help out me and sparkplug, i want to go prepared because i haven't been able to find a job in a year and im really looking forward to this job. bob if you can remember some of the questions from the interview, please let us know. i would really appreciate it. thanks.

bob snow in California

80 months ago

The interview is about an hour long. The guy who interviewed me was a foreman @ the refinery. The questions are all work related. Can you work in tight places? Have you worked in tight places? Can you work in elevated places? etc etc etc.

I really thought I had a good chance, coz Ive worked in Industrial settings my entire life & by what the ?s were, I really thought they were looking for people who have turned a wrench for a few years & have worked long hours & swing shifts...maybe I was wrong.

I was also told, that even though the foreman may have really liked me & my experience, that HR makes the final calls & will often opt for a college grad.

Ill tell you this w/ certainty ( mainly regarding college grads)....If youve never worked 12 hour shifts & rotating shifts & arent prepared to do so for the rest of your life...you will never make it @ this job. never. Yah..that big $$ looks good in your mind, but, if your not physically & mentally cut out for all the hours & rotating shifts ( which are both permanent)....youll never last.

I was also told, last year when they hired about 15 RPOs, 10 of em quit in the first few months.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Thanks alot for the info Bob.Really appreciate the heads up. I currently work in the automotive industry, paint and body work side of it. So i'am defenetly good with my hands and long hours yata, yata yata.

Hopefully i will be one of the lucky ones. Good luck Bob and to you as well Aper!!

LATERS!

clay cornelius in garden grove, California

80 months ago

I also have got a call for an interview in a few weeks. Ive been in manufacturing all my life, and am a college grad. I've worked both on the floor,in mantiance, and in management positions. My issue is my age I'm 40ish. I really hope this won't be an issue in the hiring process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

hmac in Torrance, California

80 months ago

Hey so my husband applied and passed all testing, interviewed and was told he would hear either way by December. To date he has heard nothing???? I am hoping at this point, no news is good news but we are completely tired of the anxiety of waiting. Has anyone heard that they have been hired?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Oh yeah he did all of this approximately at the beginning of November. I have heard that they do let you know either way............true or not true?

80 months ago

Heather have your husband call Certified Customized Staffing they should be able to give him an answer. From what I hear they are the ones that let you know. I wish him the best...........Maybe I'll see him at the refinery.

bob snow in California

80 months ago

If Chevron calls you via phone to take a physical, your good 2 go. They contact you via email if you didnt make the cut. I was notified by email 2 weeks ago, that I didnt make it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marcus Vinson in Gulfport, Mississippi

79 months ago

I took the pre-employment aptitude test last night.
Boring!

Anyway, more to the point; of about 250 people in the room (give or take), only 91 of us passed (myself included).

I am worried about the whole felony thing, even though I don't have a conviction, I served probation for it. I was arrested five years ago, when I was being an IDIOT at that point in my life.

Does anyone happen to know how that may affect me? No conviction, at least?

By the way, I applied for the maintenance trainee position at the Pascagoula, MS facility.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

julioC in downey, California

79 months ago

Hey guys! well i have my interview tomorrow at 9 but i lost the notes that i had the address written on. would anyone happen to know where it is? i know its close by the building that COBRA was held in. although i lost the actual address. please help i hope someone reads this by tonight

79 months ago

The interview is at the Pacific Corporate Towers, located at 200 N Sepulveda Blvd. El Segundo. See the Chevron receptionist.

Jinster in Downey, California

79 months ago

Hi guys, I think I was in the same interview class as bob snow, interviewed at the end of November and was told I would hear by back the last week of December. So far, I haven't heard anything and now I see from recent comments they are interviewing new people.

Does anyone have any Chevron HR contact phone numbers so I can make sure that they just didn't forget about me? Thanks a lot.

79 months ago

To anyone who has made it to the drug-test and physical, could you fill the rest of us in on the process?

What drug-test method is used? Follicle test, buccal swab (mouth swab), urinalysis, blood?

What does the physical entail, besides physical examination? Lung capacity, cardio stress, etc?

Any information would be helpful to many people, I am sure.

Thanks!

79 months ago

Jinster, I just interviewed last week. I was told that no one was hired yet by the person that interviewed me. he said I would be contacted by the end of Feb., so keep your fingers crossed.

toyabeat in Mississippi

79 months ago

can anyone please help me with info on the COBRA test?? PLEASE I take it this Friday!! PLEASE

79 months ago

What position are you taking the COBRA test for? I took it for the position on refinery operator.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

toyabeat, did you take the testing at the Coliseum last week?

I did, and I passed, but I haven't heard anything from Chevron yet. That sucks!

Hopefully they are running COBRA's for a few days, like they did witht he initial test.

Would you let me know what day last week you did your testing? (If you did it last week)

I took mine Thursday, the 16th.

79 months ago

Another question.

Does Chevron administer the test based on which position you applied for?

For instance, operations applicants test one day (or days) and maintenance another day?

I am seriously stressing out now.

toyabeat in Mississippi

79 months ago

clay cornelius in garden grove, California said: What position are you taking the COBRA test for? I took it for the position on refinery operator.

I am taking it for Operations trainee position.

Thanks

toyabeat in Mississippi

79 months ago

Marcus Vinson in Gulfport, Mississippi said: toyabeat, did you take the testing at the Coliseum last week?

I did, and I passed, but I haven't heard anything from Chevron yet. That sucks!

Hopefully they are running COBRA's for a few days, like they did witht he initial test.

Would you let me know what day last week you did your testing? (If you did it last week)

I took mine Thursday, the 16th.

I took the written test last Monday at the coliseum.

toyabeat in Mississippi

79 months ago

Marcus Vinson in Gulfport, Mississippi said: I took the pre-employment aptitude test last night.
Boring!

Anyway, more to the point; of about 250 people in the room (give or take), only 91 of us passed (myself included).

I am worried about the whole felony thing, even though I don't have a conviction, I served probation for it. I was arrested five years ago, when I was being an IDIOT at that point in my life.

Does anyone happen to know how that may affect me? No conviction, at least?

By the way, I applied for the maintenance trainee position at the Pascagoula, MS facility.

Also i was told that for the maintenance trainee, there is no additional test required. That may be why you havent been contacted as of yet.

79 months ago

toyabeat in Mississippi said: I took the written test last Monday at the coliseum.

Okay. That makes me feel a little bit better.

I am at the end of the alphabet (obviously, as you can see from my name), and I tested for maintenance,

I am totally stressing out over this because I want this job so badly. (NEED IT!)

I just hope that everything works out okay.

Good luck to you, and please let us know a bit about the test, and how you did!

And, uh, where are they making you go for testing?

79 months ago

toyabeat in Mississippi said: Also i was told that for the maintenance trainee, there is no additional test required. That may be why you havent been contacted as of yet.

Really, no additional testing? That's a little strange. Oh, well. Maybe that's what the deal is.

Thanks

toyabeat in Mississippi

79 months ago

Marcus Vinson in Gulfport, Mississippi said: Really, no additional testing? That's a little strange. Oh, well. Maybe that's what the deal is.

Thanks

They are having the testing in Mobile, Alabame. I have no clue what to expect! I hope someone can give me some pointers.

79 months ago

toyabeat in Mississippi said: They are having the testing in Mobile, Alabame. I have no clue what to expect! I hope someone can give me some pointers.

Wow, Mobile. That's a nice little ride for testing. Best of luck to you.

I have been researching the COBRA's and all that I can tell you is that the first two hours are training, the second hour (possibly more) is practice, and the final hours(s) are testing.

I know that the COBRA test is a simulation, and from what I have read, level-headedness, and the ability to multi-task are very important. Also, being quick with a mouse doesn't hurt.

Finally, I have learned that there are a couple of situation where, no matter what you do, there will be alerts that you cannot prevent, but you must be able to react to them properly and swiftly.

Best of luck!

toyabeat in Mississippi

79 months ago

bob snow in California said: I was forthcoming about my felony, from the get go. As it was stated earlier, in the end, they are gonna choose THE best candidates & Im sure the best candidates, will be the ones w/out a felony on their record. Maybe Im wrong though. I doubt it.

Sparkplug, you & I have probably bumped into each other at the 2nd test, cuz, I know not 2 many people passed the 1st test. They are hiring 50 people to start in January & I know for a fact, nowhere near 50 people even passed the 2nd test.

Any pointers on the Cobra test??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

toyabeat in Mississippi

79 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Chevron? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

you can go to www.chevron.com and click on careers

79 months ago

I did pass the COBRA test, and my advice to you is to really understand in the training what does what, like when you open a valve or increase the heat or turn up the fan. One main thing to consider is to keep watching your trend lines and make your adjustments accordingly. GOOD LUCK

bob snow in California

79 months ago

I had 1 of the highest scores out of the 191 people who took the COBRA test( as told to me by 1 of the CCS employees who administered the test) & have nearly 17 years of industrial maintanence/construction experience, my NCCER Millwright cert / LARSO cert & I didnt get a job. Just letting everyone know what theyre up against.

toyabeat in Mississippi

79 months ago

bob snow in California said: I had 1 of the highest scores out of the 191 people who took the COBRA test( as told to me by 1 of the CCS employees who administered the test) & have nearly 17 years of industrial maintanence/construction experience, my NCCER Millwright cert / LARSO cert & I didnt get a job. Just letting everyone know what theyre up against.

What position did you apply for??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

toyabeat in Mississippi

79 months ago

Marcus Vinson in Gulfport, Mississippi said: Wow, Mobile. That's a nice little ride for testing. Best of luck to you.

I have been researching the COBRA's and all that I can tell you is that the first two hours are training, the second hour (possibly more) is practice, and the final hours(s) are testing.

I know that the COBRA test is a simulation, and from what I have read, level-headedness, and the ability to multi-task are very important. Also, being quick with a mouse doesn't hurt.

Finally, I have learned that there are a couple of situation where, no matter what you do, there will be alerts that you cannot prevent, but you must be able to react to them properly and swiftly.

Best of luck!

took cobra test and passed. As long as you take your time and read carefully, you will be fine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Just in case there is anyone out there that is still holding on to a thread of hope,
I called CCS today to get some insight on the hiring process thus far.

I found out for certain that those who do not apply for the Operation position do not go through COBRA testing. Yes, I know this has been mentioned before, but I thought it would be nice for everyone to hear it (nearly) directly from CCS.

Also, people like myself, who applied for maintenance, as told to me by a CCS employee today, no one has been notified yet about their hiring situation.

So, if you haven't heard yet, it's simply because they haven't made a determination yet. They informed me that they should begin notifying people in the next few weeks (I think by the end of February), and everyone (regardless of hire status) will be notified by email.

Hope this helps someone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

My husband went through all phases of applying including the interview and he also heard that they haven't done any hiring as of yet and they don't expect to until March. Applicants should hear by the end of February. This is for the positions in El Segundo, CA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chuck Gallton in Daphne, Alabama

78 months ago

Marcus Vinson in Gulfport, Mississippi said: Just in case there is anyone out there that is still holding on to a thread of hope,
I called CCS today to get some insight on the hiring process thus far.

I found out for certain that those who do not apply for the Operation position do not go through COBRA testing. Yes, I know this has been mentioned before, but I thought it would be nice for everyone to hear it (nearly) directly from CCS.

Also, people like myself, who applied for maintenance, as told to me by a CCS employee today, no one has been notified yet about their hiring situation.

So, if you haven't heard yet, it's simply because they haven't made a determination yet. They informed me that they should begin notifying people in the next few weeks (I think by the end of February), and everyone (regardless of hire status) will be notified by email.

Hope this helps someone!

I passed the 1st round of testing also, but have not been contacted in regards to the Cobra testing. Did they give you any insite into whether or not all applicants selected for Cobra testing have already been notified?

78 months ago

It depends on which position you applied for.
If you went for Operations, then yes, you missed out, because the COBRA testing has already been done.

If, however, you applied for a maintenance position, no decisions have been made yet, and you will be notified by email either way.

Go to www.chevron.apply2jobs.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.showLogin

and login. Then go to Jobs I've applied to, and check your status.

That's about all that I know to tell you.

Best of luck!

78 months ago

hey guys i got an email from chevron today saying i didn't get the job for the refinery trainee. what a waste of time. i thought i had a good chance because im only 24 (i actually turned 25 today), have a bachelors degree in economics with a minor in chemistry from a well known university, have general automotive knowledge and im physically fit. what a great birthday present. too bad... land of opportunity huh. yea right

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

aper aperoyan in Los Angeles, California said: hey guys i got an email from chevron today saying i didn't get the job for the refinery trainee. what a waste of time. i thought i had a good chance because im only 24 (i actually turned 25 today), have a bachelors degree in economics with a minor in chemistry from a well known university, have general automotive knowledge and im physically fit. what a great birthday present. too bad... land of opportunity huh. yea right

Sorry to hear that. Happy birthday, though.
It's a tough market out there, so keep that head high.

Melinda Gates in Seattle, Washington

77 months ago

I suggest you have an industry HR professional or recruiter review your resume to better align with Chevron's mandates specifically. These professionals have insider info that can help your resume make it through automatic resume screeners and as well attract the attention of human readers through relevant phrasing techniques. Also, they might be able to help you get your resume through to the actual recruiter of a job rather than into a database where you are simply assigned a number. I recommend you try an inexpensive service called ResumeGuru (www.resumeguru.us) that comes backed by a money-back guarantee against canned responses and poor workmanship.

lshdvs in Texas

75 months ago

Hi CDR,

I recently graduated from college (2008) and am interested in working for the ETC Division of Chevron in Houston. I am currently employed as Chemical Engineer with 1 year experience in the consulting industry.

Do you have any advice or suggestions for me? Do you know what experience/background Chevron looks for? I am mainly looking for that first interview. I have been told the summer is not the ideal hiring time for Chevron.

Thank you for all of your time and help. Congrats on the job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

orh1 in Belle Chasse, Louisiana

70 months ago

Can anyone give any advice on the aptitude test for an operator? Is there any way to prepare for this test? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (88) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jim Bean in Salt Lake City, Utah

70 months ago

Just took the first test for the Refinery Operator Trainee and passed, have to take COBRA on Friday... I'm sure I can handle it from all the video games and similar things I have done in the past. But I have no experience, and this is the career field I really want to be in.

Just wondering what the CCS background check involves... Because now that I think about it I forgot to add a job I worked for 2 days back in January 2008 on my application and I don't want to be denied for not putting in all the valid information.

Any ideas if the consumer report will involve an employment check to see where and when I have been employed in the past? If that job shows up will I be disqualified for not putting it on the application?

Thanks in advance :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Vivien Needham in Hillsborough, North Carolina

68 months ago

Can anyone out there help find the link to send a resume on the Chevron website?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jason in Abilene, Texas

51 months ago

Came across this forum by accident but glad I did so I can tell you my story with Chevron.

First of all they are the most unprofessional, disorganized company I have ever dealt with in my 20+ years of interviewing. Its starts out with their testing procedures. They are unwilling to work with you as far as test times and dates. Everything is only held one day at one time which is ridiculous. I passed their aptitude test and their COBRA tests but had to call into work each day because of their unwillingness to be flexible with the tests. Do not know if they think everyone that is applying is unemployeed but its far fetched to think that giving a person only 3 or 4 days notice to arrange something to make these tests is ridiculous. Made the interview process which again was a disaster. The secretary called me twice to reschedule because she lost her scheduling book and then again it could only be held on ONE day. At least they gave me 3 times to choose from. Lucky I happened to be off on that day. Next their human resources calls my work place to confirm my employeement which put me in a bad place at my work because they now knew why I was calling in sick. They make you fill out another application which again is stupid because they should already have your application and resume on file from applying on their website. Interview was with 5 guys that kept grilling about experience even though the job stated that none was necessary. The final straw was they told me either way that they would call me if I got the job or not. Again another lie as they sent the e-mail of death. I ended up getting let go from my job trying to jump through Chevron's hoops and their screwup of contacting my human resources before I was offered or denied a position. Luckily I got on at Valero their interview process is only 2 weeks long and much more professional without the BS computer games and aptitude tests. Hopefully Chevron does not treat current employees like they do potential ones.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

rcally in Huntington Beach, California

50 months ago

Brother711 in Singapore, Singapore said: Guys could u email me the ques that CHEVRON ASK in the interview as well?? It would be very helpful.. my email is fay_711@hotmail.com ...Im taking the cobra test next week. Thank u my future colleagues!..

Thats weird im pretty sure they got rid of the cobra test... did u apply to the el segundo refinery?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.