What is their background check process?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 108)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

kindred in Greensboro, North Carolina

80 months ago

I'm just wondering if they just do regular reference checks plus a separate criminal background check, or if they utilize a third party agency that contacts previous employers, criminal background, etc. I have found that it often takes longer for decisions to be made when third party agencies get involved with all aspects of the process, so I was wondering what Citi's process is. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (91) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

kindred in Greensboro, North Carolina

80 months ago

Nobody has any info on their background check process??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Derrick in North Richland Hills, Texas

80 months ago

kindred in Greensboro, North Carolina said: I'm just wondering if they just do regular reference checks plus a separate criminal background check, or if they utilize a third party agency that contacts previous employers, criminal background, etc. I have found that it often takes longer for decisions to be made when third party agencies get involved with all aspects of the process, so I was wondering what Citi's process is. Thanks.

They run fingerprints through the FBI for the criminal background. They will also check all education and give a urine test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

izzywa in Central District, Hong Kong

80 months ago

Derrick in North Richland Hills, Texas said: They run fingerprints through the FBI for the criminal background. They will also check all education and give a urine test.

is this true? what sort of education checks do they do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

mike in Staten Island, New York

80 months ago

They make you take a drug test and fingerprints before your start date. They run a complete background check verifying all previous jobs that you listed on your application, as well as a criminal check. The check is not completed until around 2 months in so you will already be working for the company. If they find any discrepencies they will contact you and if it's not cleard you cannot return to work until it is so I advise not lying and especially disclosing anything criminal offesnses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

tom in Garden City, New York

80 months ago

mike in Staten Island, New York said: They make you take a drug test and fingerprints before your start date. They run a complete background check verifying all previous jobs that you listed on your application, as well as a criminal check. The check is not completed until around 2 months in so you will already be working for the company. If they find any discrepencies they will contact you and if it's not cleard you cannot return to work until it is so I advise not lying and especially disclosing anything criminal offesnses.

Dont most companies do all of the background checks prior to a person starting a new position and prior to a company extending an offer ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Charlie in Augusta, Georgia

80 months ago

tom in Garden City, New York said: Dont most companies do all of the background checks prior to a person starting a new position and prior to a company extending an offer ?

Nope. It's called innocent until proven guilty, in a way. They will assume you have told the truth and snap you up if you are qualified but if they find later you have lied it's out the door.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

TH in Brick, New Jersey

80 months ago

Does the state of New York allow criminal background checks for all employees, or just certain ones.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JT76 in Valley Stream, New York

79 months ago

mike in Staten Island, New York said: They make you take a drug test and fingerprints before your start date. They run a complete background check verifying all previous jobs that you listed on your application, as well as a criminal check. The check is not completed until around 2 months in so you will already be working for the company. If they find any discrepencies they will contact you and if it's not cleard you cannot return to work until it is so I advise not lying and especially disclosing anything criminal offesnses.

This is true! They do do the finger printing and drug test right away. The other info they check out after you are already hired. Many people who have not told the whole true do get fired, so honesty is the best policy! They check EVERYONE out even admins, summer interns etc! The application is VERY extensive. People I gave as references as well as employers said they did get calls as well as a third party employment checking. I did receive notice from the third party letting me know that they did do a check on me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

tom in Garden City, New York said: Dont most companies do all of the background checks prior to a person starting a new position and prior to a company extending an offer ?

Not Citigroup. They are done after! The finger printing and drug test is done before hand.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Citi-Hire in New York, New York

79 months ago

About the Background process......do they do a credit check as well? If so, how extensive, and what are the detrements of such? Background is fine, and drug is fine, but their app states credit as well?

Also, what if some of my employers' dates on the app are off by a month or two due to they being so long ago.and my not remembering..???(I have been in this finance industry 17 years..) I just want to be honest....

Any thoughts???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Citi-Hire in New York, New York said: About the Background process......do they do a credit check as well? If so, how extensive, and what are the detrements of such? Background is fine, and drug is fine, but their app states credit as well?

Also, what if some of my employers' dates on the app are off by a month or two due to they being so long ago.and my not remembering..???(I have been in this finance industry 17 years..) I just want to be honest....

Any thoughts???

As far as I know they do a thorough checking including credit. I wouldn't worry to much about the credit check as much as the employee check etc. I told them I wasn't 100% sure of the dates of hire on my application, so I don't believe you have to be right down to the month exactly.
Big thing is DON'T LIE! If you were pleaded guilty to something put it down! They do find out after you've been hired and do fire you almost immediately depending on what the crime was. So don't sweat the small stuff.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Very cool. THANKS! Nah- not worried about the background check, or drug screening at all. I have never even had a parking ticket(and yup, I have an SUV in NYC), and never have touched drugs. But in reading some of the comments on here, it sounds like Citi is quite harsh. I know that Lehman and Goldman Sachs have not hired some of my industry friends due to they missing the dates on their application by a month or two. Thats some crazy stuff. I mean, those of us that have been in the same industry for a while, can't always get the exact month we were hired on a job back in 1995, or whatever year it may have been. I would like to think that there can be some wavering on that.

They have given me a verbal offer contingent upon they getting my salary approved. Funny thing though, they asked for my executive agreement and paystub from my most recent employer. I guess they wanted verification that I made what I said I made, huh......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

amanda smith in los angeles, California

79 months ago

What is their process if you are employed at Citigroup and are arrested for something like shoplifting, but it gets dismissed - if you are in management? Do you have to tell them/is this a fireable offense?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

I was recently hired as a senior level executive, so all the paperwork that I received is fresh in my head, and I do not recall reading anything about disclosure of offenses while you are employed. I will read it again and see and circle back, but I think the FBI and fingerprint checks that will uncover those kinds of things are only done upfront at the commencement of your employment. If its something that you think will hinder your employment, or will be uncovered somehow by Citi, it's best to disclose it. I think Citi is a bit understanding if you are honest, and tell them, rather than they find out later.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

amanda smith in los angeles, California

79 months ago

How would you feel about reporting to someone higher up that had been arrested if it had been dismissed?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Depends on what it was, but if it was dismissed, it would appear to be a non issue

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

success8 in Jamaica, New York

79 months ago

Citi-Hire in New York, New York said: I was recently hired as a senior level executive, so all the paperwork that I received is fresh in my head, and I do not recall reading anything about disclosure of offenses while you are employed. I will read it again and see and circle back, but I think the FBI and fingerprint checks that will uncover those kinds of things are only done upfront at the commencement of your employment. If its something that you think will hinder your employment, or will be uncovered somehow by Citi, it's best to disclose it. I think Citi is a bit understanding if you are honest, and tell them, rather than they find out later.

can you advise how long did it takes from verbal offer to actual start date. i got a verbal offer one month ago and i am still waiting on physical offer letter. my application needs six signatures and I believe I'm waiting on the ceo, budget approvals etc. due to the time that has elapsed I am wondering if I made the right decision?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

success8 in Jamaica, New York said: can you advise how long did it takes from verbal offer to actual start date. i got a verbal offer one month ago and i am still waiting on physical offer letter. my application needs six signatures and I believe I'm waiting on the ceo, budget approvals etc. due to the time that has elapsed I am wondering if I made the right decision?

Yeah- mine apparantly needed six sigs as well. I went through a recruiter, so they went to bat for me. It was about 1 week or 2 once I received a verbal offer from the company(Citi)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Has anyone ever been alleiviated from the company for results from their consumer/credit check? I have already started, but am within the "2 month window" of when they do their post employment checks. Credit is not the best in the world due to divorce scenerio. What exactly is a "consumer report..?
Thanks-

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

success8 in Jamaica, New York

79 months ago

Citi-Hire in New York, New York said: Yeah- mine apparantly needed six sigs as well. I went through a recruiter, so they went to bat for me. It was about 1 week or 2 once I received a verbal offer from the company(Citi)

thanks i actually received a call from the hiring manager. there is a freeze on new hires, replacements etc about 2 to three weeks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

lisa321 in Westchester, New York

79 months ago

Citi-Hire in New York, New York said: I was recently hired as a senior level executive, so all the paperwork that I received is fresh in my head, and I do not recall reading anything about disclosure of offenses while you are employed. I will read it again and see and circle back, but I think the FBI and fingerprint checks that will uncover those kinds of things are only done upfront at the commencement of your employment. If its something that you think will hinder your employment, or will be uncovered somehow by Citi, it's best to disclose it. I think Citi is a bit understanding if you are honest, and tell them, rather than they find out later.

I never heard of that before. They do their background checks using a third party agency and all they do is verify employment dates so as long as you have a voice on the other end of the line that can vouch for the dates you put down you're ok. I know they didn't check my salary history though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

nancybb in Boston, Massachusetts

78 months ago

Do you get a copy of citi's background check or credit check?

frank W in New York

78 months ago

If you put on the application for them not to check your present employer will they contact the current employer after your hired if you have checked "No" in the box?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Train in dallas, Texas

78 months ago

you can get a copy of the background check...the company they go through is Hire Right

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

A1HOTTIE in Tustin, California

72 months ago

kindred in Greensboro, North Carolina said: I'm just wondering if they just do regular reference checks plus a separate criminal background check, or if they utilize a third party agency that contacts previous employers, criminal background, etc. I have found that it often takes longer for decisions to be made when third party agencies get involved with all aspects of the process, so I was wondering what Citi's process is. Thanks.

They do a full on backround ck with credit report, and finger printing. They get an FBI report on your criminal backround. No chance to explain anything in your history.

donniemac in santa rosa, California

72 months ago

I was currently in the hiring process until i receieved an phone call today. If there were some charges of petty theft and they were dismissed do they sill affect your employment?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

d1anonlygigglezz in new york, New York

69 months ago

Citi-Hire in New York, New York said: Has anyone ever been alleiviated from the company for results from their consumer/credit check? I have already started, but am within the "2 month window" of when they do their post employment checks. Credit is not the best in the world due to divorce scenerio. What exactly is a "consumer report..?
Thanks-

Hi i was offered a position as a teller and i was already given my starting salray and start date i took the drug tests and fingerprints on friday and still haven't heard from anyone...does anyone know how long it will take before they let me knoe that i passed? or will they just not call me at all if everything is fine?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Diana P in jamaica, New York

69 months ago

urgent. I did the urine test, and fingerprints, my fingerprint cama back as an error twice, the I was told they have to do a manual criminal background check, is been 2 weeks already. Does anybody knows how long is gonna take for citibank to get the result from a third party company? i have to start working asap

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

meowmeow mrrrrrr in Minneapolis, Minnesota

69 months ago

d1anonlygigglezz in new york, New York said: Hi i was offered a position as a teller and i was already given my starting salray and start date i took the drug tests and fingerprints on friday and still haven't heard from anyone...does anyone know how long it will take before they let me knoe that i passed? or will they just not call me at all if everything is fine?

Why don't you just give them a call yourself?? I am assuming if you were able to get a teller position with such a company, you had to sweat it a bit. Don't you know the corporate culture? they don't like to tell the bad news, prefering to ignore you and assume you'll go away. So give them a call 1st thing tomorrow morning.

MacMan in Jonestown, Iowa

66 months ago

Does anyone know if Citi is currently doing hair testing, as opposed to urine testing? Also, the same question for UBS. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

hustlebunny662 in High Point, North Carolina

64 months ago

I signed my offer last week, contingent upon my background check. I had written a statement about an assault charge that i pled no contest to four years ago, but was "charged" with just an order to stay away from the other party... they still went as far as to offer me the job, but will the fingerprint report hurt me, even though i TOLD them about the charge? There are also some pending driving while liscence revoked charges... what are my odds? I am supposed to start in 3weeks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Conway in Lewisville, Texas

62 months ago

I got bad advice from a headhunter/resume service. She told me to combine two prior jobs so that it would not look like job hopping, which it was not but due to the mortgage industry turmoil. Both prior companies closed, so I said "Ok" makes sense, cannot contact them. Well, Citi HR caught it. I explained what transpired, faxed the explanation, along with W2s from 06 - 08. My experience is all true, but under one company. No other suprises are out there. Does anyone know if this will be a problem, should I turn the offer down and move on. Please advise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

amit_sinha in York, United Kingdom

62 months ago

Hello,

I know this is not quite the place, but I have a summer internship at Goldman sachs, and on my CV + my background check forms, I have told the truth about all my job's etc. I have not mentioned a couple of jobs, i.e. being a paper boy etc. but have mentioned this when being asked on a seperate form.

The main problem I am having is that a lot of my placements were 'work experience' .. i.e. I worked there and didnt get paid.. and I was wondering whether they will still check this or not? + There are some things that may appear to be much better than they actually are (on my CV). For example, I was re-arranging displays as part of one of my weekend jobs, and instead of saying "I made a shelf look tidy", I said "I was part of small departmental visual merchendising projects".. Things like that.. Would they reject me because of that? Also, one of my work experience placements have now shut down, and I cant remember who my manager was.. Is that a problem??

Thank you for helping and advice in advance..

Kind Regards..

Amit

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Hello,

I know this is not quite the place, but I have a summer internship at Goldman sachs, and on my CV + my background check forms, I have told the truth about all my job's etc. I have not mentioned a couple of jobs, i.e. being a paper boy etc. but have mentioned this when being asked on a seperate form.

The main problem I am having is that a lot of my placements were 'work experience' .. i.e. I worked there and didnt get paid.. and I was wondering whether they will still check this or not? + There are some things that may appear to be much better than they actually are (on my CV). For example, I was re-arranging displays as part of one of my weekend jobs, and instead of saying "I made a shelf look tidy", I said "I was part of small departmental visual merchendising projects".. Things like that.. Would they reject me because of that? Also, one of my work experience placements have now shut down, and I cant remember who my manager was.. Is that a problem??

Kind Regards..

Amit

62 months ago

Hello,

Kind Regards..

Amit

goldmember in Worcester, Massachusetts

61 months ago

Am gonna join citi as a consultant and have a background check, in appendix it doesnt mention about DUI, do i still tell them about my DUI last year in AZ and if i dont tell them , what happens ? its a class 1 misdeamenor

gus thompson in Golden, Colorado

61 months ago

Where can I find out what crimes exclude you from possible employment with Citi. I know a man who works in collections who has spent time in jail more than once for violent crimes against family members and his children and still got hired. Is this their business practice or was he able to sneak in under the radar. If he did who can you report this to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Why does Citigroup hire people with violent criminal histories such as assault and child abuse???

61 months ago

I sure wouldn't worry about a D.W.I. I know a guy who works for Citi who has multiple convictions for domestic violence and child abuse, even jail time and they hired him. So a D.W.I. should be cool. If they shouldn't have hired this guy, who can you report it to? Contact Info for Citi, either Human Resources or security is non-existant online.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

gus thompson in Golden, Colorado said: I sure wouldn't worry about a D.W.I. I know a guy who works for Citi who has multiple convictions for domestic violence and child abuse, even jail time and they hired him. So a D.W.I. should be cool. If they shouldn't have hired this guy, who can you report it to? Contact Info for Citi, either Human Resources or security is non-existant online.

Thanks, hope its goes well.. though its been more than a week now they are waiting for my finger printing results.. they said usually it takes 3 days

61 months ago

goldmember do you have a phone number for HR?

61 months ago

gus thompson in Golden, Colorado said: goldmember do you have a phone number for HR?

Sorry, am goin in as a contract.. so no info

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

aurore Roussel in Legaspi, United States minor outlying islands

60 months ago

under FCRA, background check are conducted by third part agencies like identitypi.com. Any background check not performed with a third part agency will not be covered and protected under the FCRA rights and limitations.

jetrcmsp in Sioux Falls, South Dakota

60 months ago

Most recently.

I worked as a contractor for TEK systems, through DELL for CITI here in Sioux Falls. Worked at the Citi campus for 9 months. I disclosed a felony theft that occured 15 years ago to TEK and DELL but they hired me and placed me there. 9 months pass. Dell takes me off contract and decides to take me on as a full time DELL employee. Same job, same place, same hours. etc... Citi now opens up their background check and I an disqualified from the position I held for 9 months. Citi ask me about the incident on Friday morning 9:30 and by 2 pm that same day I get the "do not return" call from DELL.

Citi uses this FDIC background practice that goes a lot further than most. All financials service companies do now.

No compassion from Citi, Just sorry you have to go. BEWARE...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Neep in Tampa, Florida

60 months ago

I don't know how it works for fulltime employees, but for contractors the below is accurate.

For contractors Citi has their staffing vendors do the background check, but they have their own vendors for these functions. I've heard a LOT of stories from people in the know about major horror stories with the background checks like the following:

- 4+ months after hired the background comes back with something bad and the person is walked off the site asap.

- A contractor got fired for a a misdemeanor petty theft conviction over 40 years ago.

- A juvenile offense from 15+ years ago coming up and they walk the person off the site. Sounded like lawsuit material IMHO.

It may be different for permanent employment, but for contractors of any kind there is no mercy whatsoever. The smallest infraction, no matter how long ago, will cost you your job. Martin Luther King Jr, Bill Gates and Gandhi all have records and couldn't work for Citi.

I don't know if sealed or expunged offenses show up. I know the FBI can see them, but not sure if they can tell Citi.

It's a stupid policy and they actually lose a LOT of really good people because of it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

jetrcmsp in Sioux Falls, South Dakota

60 months ago

Neep in Tampa, Florida said: I don't know how it works for fulltime employees, but for contractors the below is accurate.

For contractors Citi has their staffing vendors do the background check, but they have their own vendors for these functions. I've heard a LOT of stories from people in the know about major horror stories with the background checks like the following:

- 4+ months after hired the background comes back with something bad and the person is walked off the site asap.

- A contractor got fired for a a misdemeanor petty theft conviction over 40 years ago.

- A juvenile offense from 15+ years ago coming up and they walk the person off the site. Sounded like lawsuit material IMHO.

It may be different for permanent employment, but for contractors of any kind there is no mercy whatsoever. The smallest infraction, no matter how long ago, will cost you your job. Martin Luther King Jr, Bill Gates and Gandhi all have records and couldn't work for Citi.

I don't know if sealed or expunged offenses show up. I know the FBI can see them, but not sure if they can tell Citi.

It's a stupid policy and they actually lose a LOT of really good people because of it.

Thanks NEEP, I dont feel so alone anymore!

RichGandy in Ft Lauderdale, Florida

59 months ago

I am waiting as well I got an offer from them for a Senior Manager job but have a Felony arrest over 10 years ago for Assault and Battery which was a no contest and adjudication withheld and have a Domestic Violence charge from over 7 years ago which was a Misdemeanor not guilty plea and the case was dropped so no convictions or FDIC offenses do I have anything to worry about? I disclosed everything up front. Thanks
Rich

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Neep in Tampa, Florida

59 months ago

You shouldn't have any issues.

With smaller companies you have to worry about people making judgement calls, which can work for or against you, since there usually isn't a policy set in stone on situations that aren't black and white. Companies Aas large as Citi usually have policies like that set in stone, after dozens of lawyers have gone over it with a fine tooth comb...so there is no wiggle room or judgement calls.

Please respond if you have a problem.

RichGandy in Ft Lauderdale, Florida

59 months ago

Neep in Tampa, Florida said: You shouldn't have any issues.

With smaller companies you have to worry about people making judgement calls, which can work for or against you, since there usually isn't a policy set in stone on situations that aren't black and white. Companies Aas large as Citi usually have policies like that set in stone, after dozens of lawyers have gone over it with a fine tooth comb...so there is no wiggle room or judgement calls.

Please respond if you have a problem.

Neep do you work for Citi? My background says "convicted by plea" for the Felony which looks horrible but by it sayd Adj Withheld Nolle Prosse. I would imagine they only look for convictions and FDIC offenses right? Thanks so much for your help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.