How to get a job at Cnh.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Host

Do you work at Cnh? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

kirill in wheeling, Illinois

61 months ago

I have had horrible experience there. Here's my story. Bear with with me.

I was working at Motorola as a consultant for a while and then 1 day my boss who I was on very good terms with told me that most probably my contract will not be extended after a month because Moto was closing their Sprint line for those particular products and firmly said - "if I was at your place I would start looking for a job right away". He turned out right eventually. So, I had 1 whole month ahead of me and plenty of time to look around since I didn't have much work left there.
Posted my resume on monster, 2 days later a recruiter calls me and says he has got something that matches my skills. We discussed my potential rate and everything. The guy got me a phone interview with CNH for an embedded C/C++ position. Interview lasted for about 30 minutes.
I was really impressed by their questions they were asking.
polymorphism, functors, lambda functions [yes...those c++ lambda functions now supported by boost], little/big endianess and some others. I was like...this must be cool.

Recruiter calls me back and asks me if I could come in for an on-site interview that very day itself. I said - "why not". It was a full-fledged work day at motorola and I told my boss that there's a company who wants me in for an interview and he let me go...coolest guy you'll ever meet this guy.

Off I went driving 50 miles from libertyville to Burr Ridge.

Same pair of guys who interviewed me on the phone interviewed me personally.
Questions were typical and laid back. here are some that I remember,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

what is an abstract class,
how do virtual functions work,
write some code to see how I understand polymorphism,
multi-threading, race conditions, deadlocks, how to avoid these, etc...
the other guy was big into this whole endianess thing....a very competent guy, learned a lot
from him later.
wince/linux...some general talk about IDEs.

Ok, so I got my expected offer the very next day. It was a "long-term"[i am putting this in quotes on purpose] contract.

Since I was so convinced in their coolness and the fastness of how I landed this gig and all that
on the top the fact that economy was gradually but steadily sliding into recession[November/2008],
I said to myself -- "this must be coming directly from God, f'n divine intervention so to speak".

Needless to say I took that offer at 48$/hr, told them that I will join a month later after
I am done with Motorola. Actually I could have joined them the very next day but Moto was paying
me 4$/hr more. And I was in total relaxation after that and stopped my search.
I still hate myself for being so stupid.

Ok. so the day came and I joined them. First week I got acquainted with their environment.
The sole purpose of the assignment was to help them port wince stuff to embedded linux and also
develop some helper applications.

and this is where the real show begins,

61 months ago

They gave me a desktop and a laptop[that i could not take home]. In fact it was locked and they key
was with my boss. I never had one.
No working from home thing like in Moto and in some other companies that I used to work for.
Ok I can live with that.
A week later my boss tells me that he has problems with me using the internet during work hours.
Ok, I cut down on that but still did not eliminate it.
My boss used right near me and used to walk past me all the time.Probably I was unlucky
enough to have a web-browser open when he was walking by and formed an impression of me
that I do it all the time.
He started loading me with several assignments at a time sometimes with time estimations
taken right out his @$$ to make sure that I am constantly busy.
OK...not too bad. I am still happy to have a job that is actually interesting and
stimulating.

1 month passes by and my vendor calls me informing that CNH cut every contractor's rate by 15%.
I double-checked and he wasn't lying. It was CNH who really did this cut for everyone.
shenanigans!
WTF???

Okay, a few months go by and they start firing people, laying off contractors, etc.
It was end of January'2009. Hiring freeze everywhere. No jobs!

I few months went by, I was doing my regular job and then they gave me an assignment to port
one small wince App to embedded Linux on POWERPC with an estimation that it shouldn't take
more than a week. Ok, 1 week it is. Their estimation was based on the fact that it "probably took
the guy who wrote it a couple of days". Ok.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

My first move to see how the App works on WinCE. Ta da!!!!I couldn't! we didn't have enough tools
available for that. I needed a platform builder license for that which is expensive.
No big deal! I went the other way. I just ported that App to Windows Desktop.
It took me a week. Reasonable? I would say so. With all those microsoft manifest files and resource files
plus figuring out what functions where clearly WinCE specific vs Win32...yes it took me week.

But then I could run the App and see what it really does and debug it.
Now I created my eclipse project and started off with linux.
there were so many things there that had to be taken care of. anyone who had ported an Application
that was not initially designed to be portable know how much effort it might take.
For all the UI components I was using an open source lib called DirectFB.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Ok, so it took me another 4 weeks to have a 95% workable version of that App and
5% little things. The I had to write some wrapper install scripts for that.
The guy who wrote that App initially was apparently a smart guy but he did not know C++.
fact.
This is one of his masterpieces,
void Foo:: Func()
{
Foo();
~Foo();

}
this sh^t worked in his particular case until I added a virtual function.
Object slicing at its best.
4 hrs gone waste on debugging and re-valuating my understanding of run-time polymorphism.

61 months ago

my boss is on my @$$ as to why I am not meeting that deadline. I gave whatever explanations
that I had.

I have actually always had the feeling that he doesn't like me and stalks me.
I am 90% that he was reading my emails and tracking every click that I make on my web browser.
In fact there was 1 time when my linux laptop went dead and instead of giving me the image,
he took my laptop, re imaged my laptop, brought it back to my desk, locked it and took the key away.
f'n paranoid.
I am a smoker and used to take smoking breaks. He wasn't happy with that.
One time he followed me to the smoking room and was looking out of the window for me until I caught his eye.
Creepyyyyyy!

It was a lovey friday evening, almost end of the day and I receive a call from a recruiter.
The guys goes like, dude, I have an excellent opportunity for you. High end agriculture stuff.
Your navigation systems experience rules and "Do you have any experience in porting WinCe apps to
embedded Linux"? I said, well yeah, this is what I do. he probably pulled my old resume from monster.
Then I asked him about the client. He said CNH. I alughed and said that I am working there.
On my way back home I began to suspect that they might be trying to replace me or something.
Then I shrug it off.

The very next Monday morning I appear in the office as usual. My boss intercepted me at the door
and took me to a conference room saying that - "you're fired!!!".
I took it with a cold head although I felt like lashing out.
I told him ok. I needed him to sign my timesheet for the last week and for that day that I came.
I had always been paid for my last day of work as a consultant even if that day did not
involve any real work. None of that at CNH!!!

Cheap!

END OF STORY

61 months ago

ps.
here are some pros and cons of my experience in their facility at Burr Ridge
and particularly in my project,

pros:
great cafeteria. free seattle coffee for everyone.

a lot of cool italians and some british people around[though not in my ex-project]

for smokers: nice tiny smoking shelter outside equipped with an expensive 6k$ heater with some cool
and talkative crowd hanging out there once in a while. they actually care for smokers:-)

good looking females.

If you're working there full-time you'll probably be treated well. Pay will be considerably less though.

cons:
if you come from a high-tech company you'll not love their culture. AT ALL.

software tools: they didn't even want to spend any money on a decent windows merge tool and
I am not even talking about the WinCe Platform Builder license which we actually needed
for fast development but was over 1000$

dress code. business casual. I actually love business casual but in a company like that everyone will be wearing
those dockers with worn-out polos. they would look better in jeans anyways.
I once put on a pair of jeans. my boss freaked out. i never even knew until then that they had some dress code.

people with average competency. there are very few who are extremely competent though. i met one.
they don't give a f^ck about consultants. If sh^t goes down you'll be the first one to be molested which is very bad
because a lot of highly technical work is handled by them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

If you're in a software role as a consulant your boss will probably be a full-time
sr. software engineer with management aspirations and the real boss making all the real decisions
will not know a flying f..ck about inside workings of software development. he'll not listen to you but that sr. engineer. the only thing he'll care about is driving the project, keep his job
and pay his mortgage.

For H1Bs: If you're on H1 working as a consulant there through your vendor and all of a sudden
an RFE is issued about a client letter -- "THEY WILL NOT PROVIDE IT TO YOU!!!". It is against
their policy. One colleague of mine had this is issue there and had to pack and leave to India in a matter of week. Just because of one stupid letter. And he was on good terms with seniors there.
go figure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

None of that above is exaggerated. In fact some facts are diminished or not even mentioned. these postings are targeted for C++/linux developers for contractor roles.

Don't expect to form a bond with them. Just take the offer if you have to, do your tasks professionally there but never take your eyes off the job market. I landed a very decent gig in less than a month after I got fired in this bad market just because I kept my eyes open since the day they cut my rate by 15% at a slap of a hand.

And I wrote this review absolutely with a cold head. I have no hard feeling at all. In fact some of the things that I worked there on impressed my current employer a lot which helped me land this gig.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.