Applying for a Sales assitant job, have a felony, will they cosnider me?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (28)

heather in Decatur, Georgia

89 months ago

i would research their website and/or call human resources anonymously and ask.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Wayne R in Monmouth Cty, New Jersey

84 months ago

job searcher in Castro Valley, California said: I have an interview for a sales rep assitant postion at comcast, This job is in their office and has no traveling, only office work. I have a non vilonent, non drug related, no jail/prisone servered felony charge (4 months house arrest) should i bother? will they consider hiring me? I am qualified for the position i am applying for.

honestly, no... they dont even hire someone with a misdemeanor

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Wayne R in Monmouth Cty, New Jersey

84 months ago

your best bet would be to work for a small company/ someone local

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Someone in Milford, New Hampshire

82 months ago

job searcher in Castro Valley, California said: I have an interview for a sales rep assitant postion at comcast, This job is in their office and has no traveling, only office work. I have a non vilonent, non drug related, no jail/prisone servered felony charge (4 months house arrest) should i bother? will they consider hiring me? I am qualified for the position i am applying for.

If they hire you then fire you, you can sue. A friend of mine did that after they hired her they fired her because they "Found the Felony" You can get three years pay as the settlement.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

don in Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania

81 months ago

job searcher in Castro Valley, California said: I have an interview for a sales rep assitant postion at comcast, This job is in their office and has no traveling, only office work. I have a non vilonent, non drug related, no jail/prisone servered felony charge (4 months house arrest) should i bother? will they consider hiring me? I am qualified for the position i am applying for.

unfortunately they won't. i have 2 misdemeanor dui's and they denied me. they won't hire felons. i can't find a job either. corporate america turns their back on you for this socially unacceptable behavior. sorry. i have no leads for you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Corey Makarczyk in Alexandria, Virginia

81 months ago

I have 1 misdemeanor DUI and I was hired for a business development/account manager position for a small technology company in the DC metro area. Sometimes it is better to apply at small companies to build your reputation and skills to strive later for larger corporations. This will better your chances to get hired or at least plead your case.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

lost in Pennsylvania

80 months ago

Just from experience (recently, I might add)... I worked for Comcast indirectly through another contractor. When that particular contractor lost their contract with Comcast, it was suggested by numerous direct Comcast employees (whom I had gotten close to while working there) to apply for a certain in-house position with Comcast. After applying, a background check was performed, needless to say... I was not hired, nor will those employees who suggested I apply speak to me anymore. I'm appalled at the fact that I was extremely liked, and relied upon for my skills that I brought to them, yet when a felony was found out, they had an extremely different attitude towards me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

kas100 in Cherry Hill, New Jersey

74 months ago

Someone in Milford, New Hampshire said: If they hire you then fire you, you can sue. A friend of mine did that after they hired her they fired her because they "Found the Felony" You can get three years pay as the settlement.

This did happen to a friend of mine in AZ. Although employed by a different company (not Comcast), they did fire her.

Have you ever been convicted of a felony? This is a common question on 99% of all job applications. When signing the application, read carefully, you are confirming all your answers are true to the best of your knowledge. You can be fired on the basis you lied on the original application.

Also, unless you have a signed "contract of employment" I am pretty sure you can be dismissed at any time. Making a case valid, other then discrimination (of any type), would be hard to prove and expensive to fight.

Again, just judging my comment on a friends experience with a different company in Arizona.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

InsertNameHere in Edmonds, Washington

71 months ago

No they will not hire anybody with really ANY dishonourable past, no matter what the circumstances. They are very picky and really check every bit of you out! Its almost intimidating even for somebody who has never had any trouble! It is quite a process and a bit extreme really!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joey in deepinahearta, Texas

70 months ago

kas100 in Cherry Hill, New Jersey said: This did happen to a friend of mine in AZ. Although employed by a different company (not Comcast), they did fire her.

Have you ever been convicted of a felony? This is a common question on 99% of all job applications. When signing the application, read carefully, you are confirming all your answers are true to the best of your knowledge. You can be fired on the basis you lied on the original application.

Also, unless you have a signed "contract of employment" I am pretty sure you can be dismissed at any time. Making a case valid, other then discrimination (of any type), would be hard to prove and expensive to fight.

Again, just judging my comment on a friends experience with a different company in Arizona.

Three years pay as settlement, eh? Is that the reward for trying to defraud a huge corporation? They have a lot more money to spend on lawyers than you do. I don't think you'll get anything for lying on your application, a previous felony kinda something you can't overlook. Like "oops, that's right, I DID steal retirees identities a few years back, my bad"...no lol, that's silly.

Most reputable companies will not hire you if you have any kind of felony, as it should be. If there is someone as qualified as you for the job, or even a little less qualified and they haven't performed any illegal actions, particularly ones involving moral turpitude, then they deserve a job more than you. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (51) Reply - Report abuse

ditasdaddy in Colorado Springs, Colorado

70 months ago

Joey in deepinahearta, Texas said: Three years pay as settlement, eh? Is that the reward for trying to defraud a huge corporation? They have a lot more money to spend on lawyers than you do. I don't think you'll get anything for lying on your application, a previous felony kinda something you can't overlook. Like "oops, that's right, I DID steal retirees identities a few years back, my bad"...no lol, that's silly.

Most reputable companies will not hire you if you have any kind of felony, as it should be. If there is someone as qualified as you for the job, or even a little less qualified and they haven't performed any illegal actions, particularly ones involving moral turpitude, then they deserve a job more than you. Thanks!

Now I may not be on board with suing a company as a get rich quick scheme, but I am totally against condemning people who have paid their debt to society to a lower social class. Who are you to judge us? It's that type of attitude that results in people who are trying to reform their lives giving up and resorting to their previous skill set, robbing stuck up people like you. So the next time your car windows busted out and your stereo is gone, or you find out someone racked up 8 grand on your credit card, you have no one to blame but yourself and the millions of people like you who will let us out of prison, but never let us rejoin society.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

deaver1999 in Bellmawr, New Jersey

70 months ago

I know a manager that works for comcast. will they hire me with a 6 year old felony if she will be a reference for me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

lost in Pennsylvania

70 months ago

As a former employee of Comcast...according to their policy, you will not get hired if the felony is known, regardless of who your reference is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joey in deepinahearta, Texas

70 months ago

ditasdaddy in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: Now I may not be on board with suing a company as a get rich quick scheme, but I am totally against condemning people who have paid their debt to society to a lower social class. Who are you to judge us? It's that type of attitude that results in people who are trying to reform their lives giving up and resorting to their previous skill set, robbing stuck up people like you. So the next time your car windows busted out and your stereo is gone, or you find out someone racked up 8 grand on your credit card, you have no one to blame but yourself and the millions of people like you who will let us out of prison, but never let us rejoin society.

I hear mcdonald's hires felons. Also, lots of cable contractors have less stringent standards. Um... construction contractors, pretty much anywhere that you will not be a permanent employee will give you the consideration and potential job you need to stay out of jail and make some money. I have friends who are welders and pipefitters that are pulling in way more money than I am, they just have to go from job to job with the staffing company. That whole victim of society crap doesn't really convince me of anything, I came back from the Marines and didn't have references or hookups to get where I am. Give it your all and great things will follow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

almosthired in Portland, Oregon

65 months ago

don in Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania said: unfortunately they won't. i have 2 misdemeanor dui's and they denied me. they won't hire felons. i can't find a job either. corporate america turns their back on you for this socially unacceptable behavior. sorry. i have no leads for you

I made the mistake of not putting down my misdemeanors and now my app is going into the "review board" so it is doubtful I will get hired. I have two posessions, one paraphanelia charge and 2 DWAI's over a span of 3 years, my last arrest being 6 years ago...none of them being felonies. I can't believe how you get punished for things you have done as a kid. I've been hired on as a substitute teacher for god's sake I think I will be fine answering the phone all day for them. They will call me by the end of next week to let me know I am too criminal. Sure would be a bitter end to a sweet deal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

poseidonandthebitterbug in Concord, California

65 months ago

what about if you had a misdemeanor that you completed diversion on? my lawyer said it would be expunged....?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

The Felons Husband in Red Hill, Pennsylvania

65 months ago

lost in Pennsylvania said: Just from experience (recently, I might add)... I worked for Comcast indirectly through another contractor. When that particular contractor lost their contract with Comcast, it was suggested by numerous direct Comcast employees (whom I had gotten close to while working there) to apply for a certain in-house position with Comcast. After applying, a background check was performed, needless to say... I was not hired, nor will those employees who suggested I apply speak to me anymore. I'm appalled at the fact that I was extremely liked, and relied upon for my skills that I brought to them, yet when a felony was found out, they had an extremely different attitude towards me.

While it is true that Comcast generally does not hire felons, the nature of lost's crime is also of significance. As a Convicted Child Abuser, lost spent 10 years in a Maximun Security Facility. Lost was convicted of beating her 2 month old son nearly to daeth, and that child, now 15 years old is profoundly mentally retarded because of the beating(s). I wasn't there, I don't know what happened, but the conviction was appealed and affirmed by the Superior Court of Pa. Heinous crimes, like child abuse, aren't acceptable to any employer. And lost blamed me (her future ex-husband) for not getting hired. There are always 3 sides to any story, your side, my side, and the TRUTH. Lost will never accept responsibility for her actions and hence will never prosper in life. 10 years in jail taught lost nothing, unless you count lieing, cheating and stealing as Job Skills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

parkee01 in Jacksonville, Florida

62 months ago

what is the base pay for Customer Account Executive at Comcast?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

brajsmit in Carmel, Indiana

61 months ago

parkee01 in Jacksonville, Florida said: what is the base pay for Customer Account Executive at Comcast?

11.5 in indiana plus commission and shift premiums , i guess ill let you all know if they will hire a felon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hey Jude in Lenexa, Kansas

46 months ago

Joey in deepinahearta, Texas said: Three years pay as settlement, eh? Is that the reward for trying to defraud a huge corporation? They have a lot more money to spend on lawyers than you do. I don't think you'll get anything for lying on your application, a previous felony kinda something you can't overlook. Like "oops, that's right, I DID steal retirees identities a few years back, my bad"...no lol, that's silly.

Most reputable companies will not hire you if you have any kind of felony, as it should be. If there is someone as qualified as you for the job, or even a little less qualified and they haven't performed any illegal actions, particularly ones involving moral turpitude, then they deserve a job more than you. Thanks!

Not all fellons are fellons because of being dishonest. A 4th time DUI can get you a fellony that is never expungable thanks to MADD! I feel fortunate that I didn't kill anyone. I have been sober for 4 years and can not find a job anywhere my back ground is IT and I'm currently getting my BS Information Technology. I made the same mistake 4 times, only the first 3 times I never paid the consequences for my actions the judges just took my money and granted me probation. When I received my 4th that is when my past came back to haunt me. What is going to happen is that this Country is going to have a lot of fellons running around jobless robbing and stealing causing the crime rate to increase. It's a vicious cycle and it will continue to grow because of the stupid laws that are governed by money and greed. By the way MADD is a 3 billion dollar a year business where do you think all that money is being spent?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

S buttter in Houston, Texas

25 months ago

As long as you disclose your background (felony) they will consider time passed, nature of crime etc. Mine is an old DWI....I received an offer and am waiting for the drug test and employee background to be completed, the best advice I can give is to be HONEST and you may be surprised plus recently Comcast joined other large corporations that receive tax breaks for every felon they hire so it's beneficial to them as well.

Good Luck,

S

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rufjag in Jacksonville, Florida

11 months ago

Anyone know of a company who will hire a man with a 25 year old drug possession felony conviction in Jacksonville Florida?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

RufJag in Jacksonville, Florida

11 months ago

I have a felony conviction from 1988 for possession of a controlled substance. Any companies in Jacksonville Florida who might hire me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BB in Sterling Heights, Michigan

10 months ago

Joey in deepinahearta, Texas said: Three years pay as settlement, eh? Is that the reward for trying to defraud a huge corporation? They have a lot more money to spend on lawyers than you do. I don't think you'll get anything for lying on your application, a previous felony kinda something you can't overlook. Like "oops, that's right, I DID steal retirees identities a few years back, my bad"...no lol, that's silly.

Most reputable companies will not hire you if you have any kind of felony, as it should be. If there is someone as qualified as you for the job, or even a little less qualified and they haven't performed any illegal actions, particularly ones involving moral turpitude, then they deserve a job more than you. Thanks!

How many crimes have you committed without getting caught?! And once you do get caught, would you still feel the same? I seriously doubt it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

James in Dearborn Heights, Michigan

5 months ago

Someone in Milford, New Hampshire said: If they hire you then fire you, you can sue. A friend of mine did that after they hired her they fired her because they "Found the Felony" You can get three years pay as the settlement.

That is not true. Standard applications always ask for your criminal history. If you do not state that you have a felony you are being fired for falsifying an application, not for having a felony.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

rox in Houston, Texas

4 months ago

Comcast is listed as being one of the companies that hire felons. does anyone know if they truly hire felons. thx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

datruth96 in Houston, Texas

3 months ago

rox in Houston, Texas said: Comcast is listed as being one of the companies that hire felons. does anyone know if they truly hire felons. thx

I hope that they (Comcast) will consider hiring felons. I have taken the drug test, i have disclosed my convictions, and I am hoping that my honesty will pay off with an employment opportunity. It has been 8 years since my conviction.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

larold14 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

29 days ago

I also am in the same boat here I was charged with child abuse for spanking my daughter and it made her but red so I spent 6 months on home confinement for it I put in a lot of applications since November 2013 and nothing I'm not sure what to do with this I have a family to.support I can't do.that if I.can't work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.