I don't have a High School Diploma, need advice please.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (23)

Joey in deepinahearta, Texas

60 months ago

Forsakeme4all in Seattle, Washington said: "You can't work for the company unless you have a H.S. Diploma or a GED. And if you lie about it that will be the last time you will be considered to apply with the company, they're very stringent about applicants meeting the minimum requirements, and will not consider you one bit even if you return. Don't lie about your education, and yes, they will do a background check to see if you graduated from where you say you attended."

I know this post is old and I decided against the comcast thing anyways because of they're extreme background checks. How ever, I wanted to correct you on one thing. Not every employer does a complete background check. I worked for Cingular/At&t for nearly four years and they did not know I didn't have a H.S. or GED. All they checked for was my criminal history and who I worked for and I was in. Some times thats all they care about. I'm sorry to lay out like that; but people don't seem to realise how many of us are just out there working just you are for the same pay. I mean bills aren't going to pay them selfs, are they? Ok, I said my peace.......

This is a forum for Comcast. Not for their competitors or subcontractors. I was hired and employed by this company and yes, they will verify your education. I wasn't trying to be rude, but I was making it very clear that there is no way you will work for the company(referring to Comcast) if you have not attained at least a High School Diploma or its equivalent Degree. This is also for anyone else's information as well. The links at the bottom of the page may or may not help guide you in the right direction. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

billy in Manassas, Virginia

48 months ago

Forsakeme4all in Seattle, Washington said: So last Monday I recieved an e-mail inviting me to take the comcast assesment test for a position as a CSE. I had taken the test last Friday and passed with flying colors. I was then setup for a phone interview for this coming Thurday which is really awesome. The only thing i'm worried about is I don't have a High School Diploma, but I have 5-6 years of call center expierence which I think makes me qualified. No one has ask for proof of a High School diploma until two weeks ago when I applied for Verizon and they turned me away for lying about my education. So I have a few questions for people who may be able to answer. 1) Does comcast do a complete backround check that includes education? 2) Should I be honest if the question arises? and 3) Due to that fact that I do not have a High School Diploma, will that prevent me from being hired with comcast?

Thanks, any advice or help would be great.

Listen i feel your pain infact i am living with your problem been taking my dang ged for 6 years all i have left is the math portion i failed by like 100 points anyway dont lie they will find out these days they do check man tell them the truth if they dont except you say i will come back when i have it. I have had so many opportunities and jobs would not let me work for the them and i have a goverment clearance but i dont have my full ged im taking the test in one month from now please dont lie and ruin your future chance to work there tell them the truth and if they dont let you then well at least you can go back but if you lie and say yes i have it and they check cause they do eventually check then you will be out of a job 100 percent and can not work and especially a big job like comcast will check you out they dont know you from anywhere so get on it take that test and pass it study hard with a good book steck vaughn seems good but i am just horrible at math and have a 3 year old son so its hard to find time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Comcast NewHire in Indianapolis, Indiana

48 months ago

billy in Manassas, Virginia said: and if you find yourself feeling negative like you cant do it which i have for years dont beat yourself up take time go hit a punching bag take your frusteration out and get right back to doing it because the clock is always ticking and you only have 3 times a year for taking the ged test i have 1 test and if i would have just gotten this over with i wouldnt have to be studying till i fall asleep at night this has seriously ruined my life all i do is think about this test so im going to get it over with trust me the sooner the better get your adult education center find a class pay the money to get in class and just do it man now cause you dont want to have it hanging over you all the time every interview for years to come its time to plan your future do it now dont wait

Billy I just wanted to congratulate you on your dedication and determination to get your GED. I know people who failed it and just flat out gave up and never tried again. Good luck to you in a month when you take the math portion...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Renee in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

36 months ago

Sorry just concerned, really want this job:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Renee in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

36 months ago

And one more thing I wasnt asked to bring a copy of it..just anticipating them asking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Comcast NewHire in Fishers, Indiana

36 months ago

Renee you don't need to bring a copy of your diploma. But if you did have it that would speed up the process though. When they do the background check they are able to verify if you have a diploma or not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

renee

36 months ago

Ok thank you. I just wasn't sure it would have even mattered it was almost 20 years ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

renee

36 months ago

The position is for a CAE. Was your hiring process hard?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

No actually my hiring process went pretty smooth. I do know for the cae position you have to go thru a role playing interview. For example you have to ramdomly pick from a hat something to sell and the supervisors will ask you questions about what you are selling and depending on how you answer the questions will determine if they hire you. If you have selling experience you should be fine. But other cae's told me it's just mainly common sense.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

renee

36 months ago

Oh ok. In my pre screen phone call the position is for billing. Not sales. The gentleman said we have a chance to up sell products but weren't held to any of the sales quotas. Thank you so much for your responses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Good luck to you! Oh and also you get free cable and internet on day 1 if you are hired...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

renee

36 months ago

I know....thank you very much and hopefully all will go well:) Just one more thing are you in sales?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

No I'm not. I'm a Comm Tech.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

renee

36 months ago

And you still had to role-play???? Not sure how well that will go lol. But thank you. Like I said the way the recruiter explained it to me I'm not sales I'm billing...so now I'm a bit more nervous lol.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Lol...No I didn't have to role play. I have friends that are CAE's and they told me all about it. I do know someone in billing and I will ask them tomorrow what all they had to do and let you know. I didn't mean to make you nervous, sorry...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

renee

36 months ago

No its not your fault lol....but if you could that would be great thanks again so much:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tom in Minneapolis, Minnesota

31 months ago

I am in the same situation, except I have a H.S. diploma.....but I lost the copy of it, I graduated 7 years ago lol. And I called my old high school but they said they only make one copy, and that is the one that I lost. But I can get copies of my transcript, or the investigator can call them directly to verify..... am I screwed because of this? I passed everything else and got a job offer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Saint Peters, Missouri

30 months ago

seanpual pual in Chicago, Illinois said: You can't work for the company unless you have a H.S. Diploma or a GED i suggest you should do a High School Diploma. If you lie to the company then this will effect on your personality. My brother had done high school diploma from here and i am also doing H.S diploma from here you must visit this [url= www.sandfordhighschool.com ]High School Diploma[/url]

Why does that look like such a hoax? It seems to easy to be true.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

rocco in Sacramento, California

30 months ago

I reciently work for comcast cable company as a comtech 1 and was let go after they could not verified my education verification background. What makes me very mad is that i provided my HR a copy of my high school unofficial transcript and still was not enough to pass the verification background.I was told they needed the official transcript or the diploma itself.
Due to almost 20 years of graduating from high school i did not kept it safely and secured it as most others would. basically ,it was lost?

I've gone through thier training which is 10 weeks of rough and rigorous and I am amazed how they can discharged someone for just a wrong info they have recieved from some 3rd party background company called CARCO group.
My fustration is that their training is more advance then any high school test that's out there in united states. I have pass all their traning requirement with flying colors and still was let go due to wrong information that was provided by the 3rd background company.

As of right now, i am not eligible to recieve unemployment due to a false information that the comcast have provided to my EDD service. I know i have a long battle ahead of me, i have hired an attorney to resolved this issue and hope for the best that something will surface in regards with my education background. I was wondering if anyone out there that was employed by comcast or any company that had similar situation as i have.
I am lost and need of help badly!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Irritated!! in Charleston, South Carolina

30 months ago

Rocco I am having a similar issue with them. I passed the interview and got my initial e-mails from Comcast and Carco about employment and filled out the information. Carco then e-mailed and said they were unable to verify my education so please provide a copy of my diploma - I have moved around for the past ten years and have stuff stored in three different locations and I know my diploma was in ONE of those boxes - to avoid searching for a needle in a haystack I asked if there was some other information that could be provided in which they said they could verify with the Department of Education so I called them and they gave me the information that I needed to send so they could release the information and then I faxed that over and Carco attempted again as well as my HR contact at Comcast to try to speed up the process - a week went by and I heard nothing then received an e-mail saying all was good.. case was closed.. Comcast then calls the next day and said Carco said I still needed a diploma so I drove two hours to the state capitol to the Department of Education to pick up a duplicate copy and I faxed that over, everything was fine then I got e-mails about the final offer with my start date and new hire paperwork. All is good right? No.. I get another e-mail today from Comcast saying Carco is not able to verify if my diploma is valid and basically made me sign a waiver saying they are still going to hire me but if 30 days passes after my hire date and Carco can still not verify the validity of the document that I would be terminated. What in the world is going on here? It seems absolutely ridiculous that there are this many issues just to verify I graduated high school (which I REALLY did do) and my high school diploma is not good enough? I am beyond fed up at this point.. I have already given my other job notice and they have cut my hours because of it because my boss takes everything personally and is spiteful.. I just don't know what else to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dchozn1 in Chicago, Illinois

29 months ago

The hiring process went pretty smooth for me. The whole process took about a week. I got the job offer on Wednesday contingent on the drug screen and background check. The next day, I received the two e-mails for the drug screen and background check which was completed immediately. On Friday, I received an e-mail requesting my H.S. diploma for verification purposes. I faxed over my diploma on Monday, and called afterwards to make sure it was received, and if and other info was needed. While on the call, the lady told me that by faxing the actual document, it would speed up the process of the background check. She told me to check back on Wednesday to see what the status was of my background check. So Wednesday comes, and sure enough my background check was completed as of the previous day (Tuesday). Comcast called to give me my start date and to let me know to be looking out for the congrats e-mail on Thursday.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rocco in Sacramento, California

29 months ago

The question is how good is this Carco company that does the background verification check for comcast and other companies that hired them? The last time i've talked to them on the phone they seemed like confused on what they are doing and incompetent! Basically the carco company asked me everything where i have worked for last 10 years and for me to provide a paystub from my each of previous work in the past which i gladly provided and faxed it to them.

As you see my situation is different, I've already been working with Comcast cable company for the past 4 month,pass the comtech1 training and basically out on the field by myself driving with the company van suddently my manager ask me to have a word with the HR and i get terminated? I regret working for comcast and should of took that job at AT&T instead.
I am basically fustrated at this point and how i got mistreated with Comcast company. All i ask for Comcast HR is just basically give me some time to prove my education verification to find out where is my high school diploma in which the HR nor my manager gave me that options. I wish the CEO of comcast could see how thier employee's get mistreated all the time by a bigger fish in the company. No wonder thier job employment is high on overturn maybe due to lack of leadership in the company!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Meesha Keesha in Orange Park, Florida

29 months ago

Just to give info on how far back the background checks go....I received a copy of my background investigation from CARCO Reseach Inc., I completed a telephone interview on a Mon., offered to come in for a face to face interview on a Thurs., (hired the same day) I received my official contingent offer for employment for by email 2 days later, 3 days later (thurs.) I filled out my Carco online application for my background check. Five days later Carco contacted me via email to request a check stub from a previous employer because they weren't able to speak with someone from the company. Four to five days later I received my background investigation in the mail (the same which HR) will receive. The document is 7 pages long and is very detailed. Carco completed a 12 years state wide search. They verified my education and last two employers.My residence check went back 14 years. All I can say is be completely honest. The cover letter reads I will receive a decision on my employment within a seven day period. I hope this information is helpful to anyone looking to become an employee in the Jacksonville, FL area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.