Why do they need all this information

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

csolie in Casper, Wyoming

11 months ago

My daughter is considering the application but I am worried about identity theft with all the sensitive information they are requesting. How do they protect the information sent to them from unscrupulous users?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

11 months ago

You have every right to be concerned. Identity theft wasn't a problem 20 years ago because no one needed that much information. However, that was a much different job market.

Today, its mostly done online and that puts you at risk.

A few tips:

1. Get a separate email account just for job hunting.
2. If you post a resume online, remove your street address. City, State and Zip are fine.
3. Never give out your SSN unless you know the site/company is reputable. If in doubt back out or put 000 as the first 3 numbers.
4. Keep track of where you have applied and when. I use a spreadsheet.
5. Check your credit report, every few years to make sure that there are no mistakes or suspicious activity.

J Gagill in Monticello, New York

11 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: You have every right to be concerned. Identity theft wasn't a problem 20 years ago because no one needed that much information. However, that was a much different job market.

Today, its mostly done online and that puts you at risk.

A few tips:

1. Get a separate email account just for job hunting.
2. If you post a resume online, remove your street address. City, State and Zip are fine.
3. Never give out your SSN unless you know the site/company is reputable. If in doubt back out or put 000 as the first 3 numbers.
4. Keep track of where you have applied and when. I use a spreadsheet.
5. Check your credit report, every few years to make sure that there are no mistakes or suspicious activity.

Finish dinner I see. Now giving out tips. You live an exciting life. Just like Bond I see.

No personal information online is safe. None! No matter what anyone says.

I briefly worked for IBM. About 3 years ago I received some letter stating that my employee information was "compromised."

Over a year ago I filled an online app for the local utility company - NYSEG. Last week I got a letter in the mail stating my information was "compromised."

These thieves are scary smart. I think I am going to start using just cash.

Here's the utility comp letter:

We take our responsibility to protect your personal data very seriously. For this reason, we are writing to inform you that recently we discovered there was unauthorized access to our Internet recruitment site that is used by internal and external candidates during the recruitment and hiring process at.....................................

Then they offer a free year of Experian monitoring.

Pass on any jobsite that wants SSN, DOB, DL#, checking #.

11 months ago

Even if the company doesn't have you fill out an online app for a job....if you eventually get hired I'm certain the company will put your personal info in their online database without your knowledge making it potentially accessible to a hacker. Gotta luv it.

Bluetea in Texas

11 months ago

J Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Finish dinner I see. Now giving out tips. You live an exciting life. Just like Bond I see.

Then they offer a free year of Experian monitoring.

Pass on any jobsite that wants SSN, DOB, DL#, checking #.

I agree. Yes, I had pork chops tonight. I do a fair job if I do say so myself.

11 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I agree. Yes, I had pork chops tonight. I do a fair job if I do say so myself.

Mom baked chicken legs, some kind of rice, and broccoli rabe. I topped it off with a brownie and friendly's ice-cream. Well off to bed since Joe is tired.

11 months ago

and home made ice tea to drink!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.