What's the company culture at Covance?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Host

Every business has its own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Covance?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Covance?

Reply - Report abuse

PhDCandidate in Boston, Massachusetts

56 months ago

This review explained so much for me. Covance is by far the oddest place I have interviewed with for a job. Here are "some" of the reasons, due to space constraints.

1. Every other company I have interviewed with set me up to meet with the person I would be directly working under for my first interview. I interviewed with someone from HR at Convance for my first interview.

2. When I asked what position I was interviewing for, the recruiter wasn't able to give me an answer. However, I was informed that I would "probably" be interviewing for a position generally reserved for Masters level candidates.

3. The recruiter told me upfront what my income would "probably" be. This was considerably low in my opinion for a PhD candidate in my field.

4. During my second interview, the person I spoke with didn't introduce him/herself, aside from saying his/her name. They just asked me a question upfront and continued asking me questions for about 5-10 minutes. All of the sudden I was interrupted and the person apologized profusely for not introducing him/herself. He/she then told me how many years he/she has worked for the company and then dove right back into questioning.

5. Most of the questions were either unrelated to my field of research or were in regards to data sources I have used in the past. Eventually, the person acknowledged that he/she was not from the research area of the division I would be working in, which explained why I was being asked about potential experiences that seemed wholly irrelevant for the type of position I would expect to fill. I spent most of the interview answering questions about data I had used in the past, which seemed fairly straightforward to me.

6. When I asked the interviewer what he/she liked most about Covance, he/she listed the Matrix management structure they use. It sounded like a bureaucratic nightmare and probably the reason I was interviewing with someone unrelated to my field of research.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Angie in Madison, Wisconsin

47 months ago

I would agree with Finney, I was in the same shoes and situation when I was hirer for Covance. The supervisors and managers at Covance do blow things way out of proportion and create all sorts of problems for their employees. It was a total nightmare being there, and I wish I would have refused the offer as well. It's not a good company to work for like it use to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jill in Madison, Wisconsin

47 months ago

Some of you who have never worked for Covance, will be in for a shock when you do get there. When you think of Covance, you think of qualify employees. Well, that's not true at Covance, you have a mix of uneducated and advance employees. Basically, you don't need a college degree to work at Covance, a High School degree will do just fine, there are actually High School students working as analyst already. And then there are some bachelor students who wash dishes. Don't worry about advance degrees, a lot of people at Covance have only a Zoology or Biology degree. You be surprise what they don't want you to know!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

James in Seattle, Washington

44 months ago

I don't really mind the issues you guys brought up. I just want to get into clinical research.

I got a B.S. in molecular biology and worked in a government lab for 8 months. Now I want to get a job where I'm interacting with people rather than cells/tubes all day.

Any tips on how to get hired at Covance? I want to become a CR assistant, then a CRC or CRA. I don't care what my first job is as I'm hoping that once I'm in, I could transfer over to what I'm interested in after proving myself. Thanks for any tips!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Hippy chick in San Diego, California

21 months ago

James in Seattle, Washington said: I don't really mind the issues you guys brought up. I just want to get into clinical research .

I got a B.S. in molecular biology and worked in a government lab for 8 months. Now I want to get a job where I'm interacting with people rather than cells/tubes all day.

Any tips on how to get hired at Covance? I want to become a CR assistant , then a CRC or CRA. I don't care what my first job is as I'm hoping that once I'm in, I could transfer over to what I'm interested in after proving myself. Thanks for any tips!

They aren't really people. They are more like robots who mimic the behavior of humans sometimes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hippy chick in San Diego, California

21 months ago

Jill in Madison, Wisconsin said: Some of you who have never worked for Covance, will be in for a shock when you do get there. When you think of Covance, you think of qualify employees. Well, that's not true at Covance, you have a mix of uneducated and advance employees. Basically, you don't need a college degree to work at Covance, a High School degree will do just fine, there are actually High School students working as analyst already. And then there are some bachelor students who wash dishes. Don't worry about advance degrees, a lot of people at Covance have only a Zoology or Biology degree. You be surprise what they don't want you to know!

I was hired as a "case manager" following graduating with my masters in psychology. I was expecting case management and what I was asked to do was verify insurance benefits all day long. My boss was 24 years old and no college dgree at all. A nightmare is putting it lightly. It was like pergatory or ground hog day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.