- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Karen in San Antonio, Texas

77 months ago

who works at coventry healh in san antonio tx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MayraC in San Antonio, Texas

77 months ago

Hi Karen:
I worked for Coventry here in San Antonio until Aug of last year. Are you considering working for them? If so, in what department?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

MayraC in San Antonio, Texas said: Hi Karen:
I worked for Coventry here in San Antonio until Aug of last year. Are you considering working for them? If so, in what department?

I am thinking of the assoc svs ops department, know anything about that department?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

I am not familiar with that department. I worked for the Clinical department which does have serious turn around issues. You should also know that even though this office is part of Coventry, a national company, the San Antonio office is only for their Mail Handlers Client.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

MayraC in San Antonio, Texas said: I am not familiar with that department. I worked for the Clinical department which does have serious turn around issues. You should also know that even though this office is part of Coventry, a national company, the San Antonio office is only for their Mail Handlers Client.

so overall would you say this is a good company to work for? Do you know how is the testing, and why did you leave?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

I'm not familiar with the testing. I am an Rn and worked for them in that capacity so no testing was needed. I left to attend school full time. However I wouldn't work for them again. I know for a fact that they have issued warnings to their employees for speaking Spanish. That is against the law.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Matt Jones2 in San Francisco, California

66 months ago

MayraC in San Antonio, Texas said: I'm not familiar with the testing. I am an Rn and worked for them in that capacity so no testing was needed. I left to attend school full time. However I wouldn't work for them again. I know for a fact that they have issued warnings to their employees for speaking Spanish. That is against the law.

It is not against the law to request your staff reframe from speaking Spanish in the work place. Most companies have diversity rules that state work communications should be in English. Speaking in a none native language can cause other problems in the work place and its best kept to the break areas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Matt Jones2 in San Francisco, California said: It is not against the law to request your staff reframe from speaking Spanish in the work place. Most companies have diversity rules that state work communications should be in English. Speaking in a none native language can cause other problems in the work place and its best kept to the break areas.

Matt Jones2, I am not only an RN but also an Attorney. English only policies are accepted only under very strict criteria and the stipulation of such without such criteria is against the law. Here is also an example of a class action victory, precisely in your state of California:

Healthcare firm accused of punishing Spanish-speakers settles suit
By Teresa Watanabe, The Los Angeles Times
Latino workers in California and Texas allegedly punished for speaking Spanish in their workplaces will be granted up to $450,000, free English classes and other relief under a consent decree approved this week in a class-action lawsuit filed by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission in Los Angeles.
You can read the whole story at www.taana.org

I am not only very well informed on this subject, but as a latina I am passionate about it. Restricting Spanish or any other language to the break room is like sending us to the back of the bus. I have Zero tolerance for it. If your company has an English only policy I will gladly reprensent the victims if no settlement is reached with the intervention of the EEOC. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.