Crate and Barrel News and Happenings.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does Crate and Barrel stack up against the competition?

Reply - Report abuse

bubbles in Lake Oswego, Oregon

87 months ago

Age discrimination???
Lately managers have been told to specifically encourage the "YOUNGER or more nimble" employees into management... the ones who are not married, or have kids, and are readily available to be shipped off (at the last minute I might add) to wherever the company needs them. Most of the managers I know of are not over the age of 40. The very few that that are in management at the store level over the age of 40 are being pushed out of their management positions, and some of the ones being pushed out have been successfully doing their job for many years. It's a sad and embarassing time at the crate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Yes Indeed

85 months ago

bubbles in Lake Oswego, Oregon said: Age discrimination???
Lately managers have been told to specifically encourage the "YOUNGER or more nimble" employees into management... the ones who are not married, or have kids, and are readily available to be shipped off (at the last minute I might add) to wherever the company needs them. Most of the managers I know of are not over the age of 40. The very few that that are in management at the store level over the age of 40 are being pushed out of their management positions, and some of the ones being pushed out have been successfully doing their job for many years. It's a sad and embarassing time at the crate.

OK, it's time for class action.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

chitown in Michigan City, Indiana

83 months ago

I just happened to come upon this website. I found bubbles comment interesting. Some of my friends and I also think this is true. It's funny how upper management practically begged a certain younger individual to take a position at another store and only offered us "older" people 1.25 more and hour for the same position. Keeping in mind we would have to travel 1 hour and a half on the train one way to the store. I forgot to mention they were closing our store. The person offered the job was only part time at that time. It seemed a little odd to some of us. The two managers in the store were older than us! Go figure. There was more to this story than we will ever know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.