Creative Circle in NYC is AWESOME

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

FlashyHat in New York, New York

70 months ago

I've seen folks ragging on Creative Circle Chicago and LA, which is a shame. From my experience with CC NYC, I thought they might all be great. In any case, I've been with CC NYC for over a year now and they get me a lot of good gigs. In addition, they've sent me on interviews for INCREDIBLE full time positions.

I agree that it is a little discouraging to get all those juicy job-description mass emails and not get responses, BUT after they become familiar with you they DO respond and I've even been called about positions before the emails even go out. Like any other aspect of business, its about relationships. As agencies are non-exclusive, I am repped by a couple of others and CC does the best by me. Every time.

They even fought a really big publisher when the publisher tried to stiff me for 36 hours of work (done in 3 days). The publisher ranted and raved about the quality of work, but refused to sign my timesheet! After 6 weeks, CC got them to do the right thing. I had given up on that money, but my agent didn't! That speaks volumes about whether or not CC cares about its talent.

I've worked now with half of the staff in the NYC office and they are all lovely people. Every creative person has different needs and this business is full of shady practices, but IMO CC NYC rises above the competition.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

giggity in Los Angeles, California

62 months ago

That's great CS "got them to do the right thing." However, as your employer of record, CS was legally supposed to have paid you regardless of the time sheet being signed. The client pays CS, not you. Then, they only needed to worry about wether or not they got paid by their client.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Carmen Freeman in New York, New York

61 months ago

I've found that when reply to a job posting via the email address posted on CC it's hard to get a call back. I've had better response when I have the recruiter's contact information. Do you know a few recruiters at CC that you can refer me to?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Thomas Dudley in New York, New York

61 months ago

I agree, Carmen...I've been about ready to give up on the notifications, especially when a position appears to be tailored to my skills, and I get nothing in response from them. A rejection would at least give me some idea what I might be doing wrong.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

eyeswideshut in Spotswood, New Jersey

58 months ago

I am sick and tired of Creative Circle. I have excellent copywriting experience over a 10 year period and I have NEVER gotten a call from them. It is so frustrating and rude. It appears that they get lots of assignments but never respond except with the minimal bounce back email of receipt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SW in Brooklyn, New York

54 months ago

I would love to have them follow through with getting me the gig I applied for that they asked if they could submit my resumé to. This has been an on-going issue. Yes, I have the right qualifications. Yes, we'll submit your resumé. Then...
Nothing. The client changed their mind. Or, they're going in-house, which leads me to think that CC is charging too much. I've made CC money in the past. All I ask is for them to follow through.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

That Guy in Brooklyn, New York

41 months ago

They're terrible! They've had my resume for months now and have never called me even though i've seen and responded to several positions was VERY qualified for. Most recently, I went through the trouble of breaking down the job description line for line with a response of why I'm qualified... Item for item from their job description and still can't get a call from them. All I get is the bounce back automated email and the same BS from their snooty receptionist when I try to follow up on something I've replied for.

They have reposted jobs that had a start date TWO WEEKS PRIOR to the date when they reposted rather than call me. When it required skills I have 11 years of experience with, to the letter, word for word. But according to the person who answers their phones if I was qualified a recruiter would've contacted me. Yeah right. Either they didn't even see my resume or the job doesn't exist. Why would they continuously repost it rather than giving someone with my experience a call?

I have no doubt that they post fake jobs to collect information and fatten their applicant pool to make themselves look better to companies they "recruit" for. Many agencies do this and Creative Circle reeks of it.

They suck, they're rude and extremely unprofessional.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

HENRY in Norwood, New Jersey

37 months ago

WORST PLACEMENT AGENCY THERE IS -- THEY WILL HURT YOUR CAREER LONG TERM IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFUL. DO NOT LET CC OWN YOU -- BE WARNED!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CeCe in New York, New York

16 months ago

Yep, I got responses to the e-mails all right. Both times the recruiter told me the wrong interview time by several hours. In one case, I turned down another job to go on an interview only to arrive and find the client furious at me because--while I thought I was there at 1:45 for a 2 p.m. appointment, she had set up the interview for 10 a.m. and CC had spaced out.

I produced the e-mail from CC, but that hardly helped since no client wants to deal with a crazy agency.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brittany in Pompton Lakes, New Jersey

15 months ago

Creative Circle NJ are pretty terrible. They bring you in for the first interview. The terrible thing is that they're are of ZERO use if they can't make money off of you...much like a pimp. Calling and following up with recruiters will do nothing for you. Sadly in this area outside NYC, you're stuck with them if you're looking to get into some of the larger corporate creative positions.

Brittany in Pompton Lakes, New Jersey

15 months ago

CeCe in New York, New York said: Yep, I got responses to the e-mails all right. Both times the recruiter told me the wrong interview time by several hours. In one case, I turned down another job to go on an interview only to arrive and find the client furious at me because--while I thought I was there at 1:45 for a 2 p.m. appointment, she had set up the interview for 10 a.m. and CC had spaced out.

I produced the e-mail from CC, but that hardly helped since no client wants to deal with a crazy agency.

Same thing happened to me. I told them a day and time I WASN'T available and that's the time she set up the interview at. Terrible. They should seriously hire some of us as the recruiters. We understand the business.

Anonymous in Mount Vernon, New York

12 months ago

I've responded to their automated emails before, and can confirm that sometimes you do get lucky and get a response. Like someone else mentioned, it's like throwing chum to sharks, though. I once responded to an email and spoke to a recruiter there who admitted to me that she didn't know anything about design. She proceeded to grill me on whether I knew Photoshop or not. Yes, photoshop. And their emails leave out quite a bit of detail on what the jobs entail. With most of these places, they don't really prep you well, and the clients are unreasonable and have unrealistic expectations. The main people who rely on these places are only looking for temps to abuse. Think of the worst possible clients you can imagine and you'll find them in spades here. The thing is, I'm convinced it's not entirely CC's fault, and might just be the nature of the market, but their recruiters don't help. I had a psychotic recruiter who harassed a potential client who was interested in me, all because she wanted her commission. What I've learned is that it's in your best interest to find something full-time on your own. If you do decide to go with a staffing agency, good representation is a necessity. Don't just trust anyone with your resume.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

28 days ago

FlashyHat, technically the agency (In this case, Creative Circle) should have still paid you on time, not with hold your check. The same thing happened to me with a big ad agency and the temp agency I worked through covered for my check for a day. If the client decides to stiff the temp agency, the temp agency has enough manpower to go after them on their own. Don't feel bad for these agencies, they're totally look out for themselves as well. Remember, they're making money off of your back because they charge interest rates on top of your hourly rates.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in New York, New York

28 days ago

CC in NYC has a reputation for low-balling. They call me and say we've got a great gig for you. Then I wait. Then, they say the project has been canceled or, the client is bringing someone in from another dept. 10 years ago, they were great. I haven't had much from them in recent memory. There are other creative staffing agencies out there. CC should step up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

28 days ago

anonymous in New York, New York said: CC in NYC has a reputation for low-balling. They call me and say we've got a great gig for you. Then I wait. Then, they say the project has been canceled or, the client is bringing someone in from another dept. 10 years ago, they were great. I haven't had much from them in recent memory. There are other creative staffing agencies out there. CC should step up.

They did the exact same thing to me. Except every time I call them, the client ends up canceling the gig. I'm wondering if they client solicited their services or not. Gives the impression they're submitting and representing you for roles without the client's knowledge.

Anonymous in Brooklyn, New York

27 days ago

I think that they low-ball us and over charge the client. That's why the client has second thoughts. I'm a print production artist with retouching capabilities. I'm not going to work for $18-$25 per hour.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.