HELP! Need career and life advice. Electrical Engineer

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1)

gary916 in Sacramento, California

64 months ago

Hello All,
I want to thank each reader in advance for his or her suggestions. I am in a serious need of your advice in my situation with life and career. I am a recent graduate of B.S. Electrical Engineering. My wife and I were planning for a long time to move to the east coast (southeast) after my graduation since her family lives there. I graduated from the west coast (CA). We went through some tough times in the west coast and started to really dislike it and wanted a fresh start in life and be close to some family as well.
After my graduation, we moved to the east coast and I got my first job as an Engineer (in the Power Energy industry) after 3 months of being in the east coast but only after a month, I started to really dislike the job and the job environment. I kept on working at the job to see if time might make it better. The job required a lot of outside work (50%+) on a daily basis and driving to remote locations with a lot of electrical construction type of work year long. The fact that we were in the east coast close to some family was a blessing for us but we ended up in a very small east coast city and found it very different to the west coast. Shortly after that, one of my references called me regarding a job opportunity in the same west coast city where we lived with the company interested in me. I had done an internship with this company while in school and knew the work would be ideal for me. I decided to fly back for an interview and got the job. They offered me $10k more and relocation with 2 year minimum employment. If I quit before 2 years, I would have to return the relocation cost to the company.
My question is: what would you recommend that we do in our situation? We moved back to west coast thinking we would settle down here and make it happen but we find that we just aren’t HAPPY here! Should we try again in 6 months to a year?

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.