Is do you like being an registered nurse (rn)? What's a day in your life like?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

renerdrat in Murrieta, California

99 months ago

Im considering become an rn but I don't know if I'll like it. I'm a guy and I heard people look down on you for being a male nurse.. I heard that it's stressful too.

I like helping people, but mainly I like helping people with their problems in life. Like if someone is having problems with their friends or something I like to help them with how they can make things better. is there a part of nursing that you do that type of stuff? I think I could also like helping sick people too though.

Also.. I don't like dealing with blood and stuff. I mean, I can but it kind of grosses me out. Do you get over that stuff when you start in school? Like after a while do you just become desensitized to it?
Also what is the advantages of becoming an rn with just an associates compared to one with bsn?
Is it just with a bsn you get to work in different areas of nursing or something?
Do the people you work with treat you bad cuz you aren't a physician or don't have as much education as them? Or do they just treat you like normal? I've heard a lot that you're treated like crap from them, is that true?

Right now im a senior in high school and thinking about what I should do in my future as a career.

I know I have a lot of questions.. but if you could answer them it would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

99 months ago

why doesn't anyone ever answer my questions... =(

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

99 months ago

!!

Reply - Report abuse

99 months ago

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

pcastro in Los Angeles, California

99 months ago

Also.. I don't like dealing with blood and stuff. I mean, I can but it kind of grosses me out. Do you get over that stuff when you start in school? Like after a while do you just become desensitized to it? - Depends on the type of person you are, how severe is your sensitivity to blood? How well do you cope with stressful situations? For example, when we cleaned patients, there was a terrible aroma in the room (feces/urine/b.o.) and over time, i eventually got use to the smell, or simply just rubbed baby cologne in my nostrils.
Also what is the advantages of becoming an rn with just an associates compared to one with bsn? - BSN, you can move up to get your Master's, can level up faster than AA. Regardless, pay differences between BSN/AA is $1/hr
Is it just with a bsn you get to work in different areas of nursing or something? - Just as long as you have your RN license you can work at any department in the hospital that you desire, obviously you have to be trained specifically for each department and some hospitals usually can train you, depends on your experience and some hospitals are now requiring BSN for their Depts.)Do the people you work with treat you bad cuz you aren't a physician or don't have as much education as them?- Nurses get a lot of respect, trust me, I thought the same in High School when I was originally planning to become a Physician. Also, nurses pretty much do all the work while physicians write orders, so physicians need to be in good terms w/ the nurses to provide proper care for the patients. Or do they just treat you like normal? - yes they treat you professionally (hopefully). I've heard a lot that you're treated like crap from them, is true - off course each experience is different, you may encounter some bitter treatments and some pleasant ones as well, just think about your classmates in school, some are bitches, some are cool, some are whatevers, get it? I know I'm just a student,hopefully that helps. I use to be in your situation :)

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

pcastro in Los Angeles, California

99 months ago

Also, you need to volunteer at a hospital for sure to get the proper exposure and experience you need to see if you should pursue the RN course or something else.

Checkout CCE (clinical care extender), they have the best program. I volunteered in a couple of hospitals and this program really exposes you to everything. You can go into different departments and actually help/shadow nurses. I use to volunteer for them, now they gave me a scholarship for my nursing school. They pay for my tuition, books, uniforms, and insurance. check it out.

Also, check out the Psychiatric Department if you still want to be an RN, you usually provide a different type of service, rarely any blood.

I know your lost when it comes to deciding your future career, and trust me, everyone's been there before. At least figure which field your in, whether it be Business, Medical, Government, Research, and so forth. I had no idea what I wanted to do, just knew that I wanted to help people in any sort of way and found that the Medical field was best for me.

RNs also have countless opportunities. You can even be in the administration department/teaching department (dealing with no patients/blood/etc.,),

Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.