Should I go back into the business???

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

CarlaSmith4599 in Kansas

20 months ago

Hi there ~ was hoping for some frank advice. I'm a law student graduating in May. I am ranked in the upper half and have great experience, but the job market absolutely sucks. Since I must work to support my family and pay off the loans, I am thinking about going back into retail management. Having worked as an EXA, I know sometimes it gets ugly and I don't get exactly what I planned for or wanted - I'm perfectly ok with that and having to pass on practicing law to keep my family together. I worked for Walgreens for about 4 years and worked as an EXA, before law school. I decided to leave the company when my daughter and mother became ill...and after some other crappy circumstances not worth digressing into here. I do miss the competition, the number crunching, and doing everything possible to reduce shrink, profit from inventory, increase sales per customer, all that fun stuff. And the drama - how entertaining (I was had to relieve a manic employee on the spot because she cutting negatives in half and groping another employee). And, I think it would fun as hell to rip up the competition just out of spite!!! ;) But, I do not want to go back as the MGT equivalent and want the fast track to SM or to go in as an SM. I would try to work for the legal dept but need to stay local for awhile. What are the chances of going in as an SM? Is it possible to get fast tracked to SM working side by side with SM for a few months Any thoughts or advice? Thanks!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CarlaSmith4599 in Kansas

20 months ago

I hate to take away from the artistic beauty of my typos...but, please accept this revised version of my original post:

Hi there ~ I am hoping for some frank advice. I'm a law student graduating in May. I am ranked in the upper half and have great experience, but the job market absolutely sucks. Since I must work to support my family and pay off the loans, I am thinking about going back into retail management. Having worked as an EXA, I know sometimes it gets ugly and I don't get exactly what I planned for or wanted - I'm perfectly ok with that and having to pass on practicing law to keep my family together. I worked for Walgreens for about 4 years and worked as an EXA, before law school. I decided to leave the company when my daughter and mother became ill...and after some other crappy circumstances not worth digressing into here. I do miss the competition, the number crunching, and doing everything possible to reduce shrink, to profit from inventory, to increase sales per customer...all that fun stuff. And the drama - how entertaining (I once had to relieve a manic employee on the spot because she was cutting negatives in half and groping another employee. She showed up the next day in mink and gave me an apple). And, I think it would fun as hell to rip up the competition just out of spite!!! ;) I'm kidding - I just love competition in general. But, I do not want to go back as the MGT equivalent and want the fast track to SM or to go in as an SM. I would not mind working for the legal dept, but I need to stay local. What are the chances of going in as an SM? Is it possible to get fast tracked to SM working side by side with SM for a few months? Any thoughts or advice? Thanks!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.