Background check

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Shelby in Willoughby, Ohio

11 months ago

I have an interview with CVS for a pharmacy tech trainee tomorrow, but I'm
Worried about my past coming to bite me in the butt. I have there misdemeanors, one petty theft from taking a $5 DVD from a store and the other two are Drug paraphanalia charges. I always thought companies couldn't discriminate against you for misdemeanors, only felonies, but I just had a place turn me down last week because of my petty theft charge! Should I explain to the manager my past and that I'm three years sober, a mother, and in great standings with the law now? Or should i just not mention it so when they automatically do the background check they see all my crap and turn me away on the spot? I know a recovering addict doesn't sound good for a pharmacy tech but I'd love to be able to work there, the chance to prove I'm not the type of person who'd do such a stupid thing, that I'm sober... But i know not many companies will give me that chance...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

11 months ago

Shelby in Willoughby, Ohio said: I have an interview with CVS for a pharmacy tech trainee tomorrow, but I'm
Worried about my past coming to bite me in the butt. I have there misdemeanors, one petty theft from taking a $5 DVD from a store and the other two are Drug paraphanalia charges. I always thought companies couldn't discriminate against you for misdemeanors, only felonies, but I just had a place turn me down last week because of my petty theft charge! Should I explain to the manager my past and that I'm three years sober, a mother, and in great standings with the law now? Or should i just not mention it so when they automatically do the background check they see all my crap and turn me away on the spot? I know a recovering addict doesn't sound good for a pharmacy tech but I'd love to be able to work there, the chance to prove I'm not the type of person who'd do such a stupid thing, that I'm sober... But i know not many companies will give me that chance...

That's not quite true. Your problem is that CVS is a corporate giant and they judge everybody with the same criteria. Going forward, look for small, independent Mom and Pops. Big companies are hard to get hired at.

Also jobs dealing with cash or with the public are tougher to get if you have a criminal history.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JS in Bethesda, Maryland

11 months ago

Why do you want to work at CVS pharmacy if you have those misdemeanor charges, with one related to a drug use?
That's like applying for a job at gun store after being arrested for unlawful possession and firing of a weapon.
No matter who you are or what you know you you have changed to and became inside, it is only reasonable for any person to assume that the risk is too great that you would do something wrong given access to what you were arrested using (not exactly, but you get the point).

Also, criminal charges get recorded in national criminal database called NCIC system (that's how cops in LA may find out you have a warrant for a crime in NY, even when your infraction is out of their jurisdiction and they can't arrest you).
Any routine background check will turn it out, so there is no point in trying to hide it.

You can run your own BC from third party online and it will turn out pretty much what any employer would see, may be you should run it, print it and take with you to interviews (explaining that yes, you did this and that but you are not hiding it, you are sorry about it and you try to put things together etc.).
And don't look for a job at CVS with past paraphernalia charges, that just doesn't make sense.
You may still be able to get a job in construction industry,some warehouses and even in some of the largest companies that participate in programs where they get tax credit for hiring people who have pas criminal histories. Do some research online and good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Yesy in Chicago, Illinois

10 months ago

I got offered the job as a pharmacy tech. I'm worried cause I had to a background check as well. I don't have any criminal charges of that sort
But my credit score is bad I'm scared they will see it and withdraw the offer
Will they see my score on the background check?

Bluetea in Texas

10 months ago

Yesy in Chicago, Illinois said: I got offered the job as a pharmacy tech. I'm worried cause I had to a background check as well. I don't have any criminal charges of that sort
But my credit score is bad I'm scared they will see it and withdraw the offer
Will they see my score on the background check?

No. Most companies don't see "the score" as that is an extra charge. What they are most concerned with is public record; things like repossessions, charge-offs and bankruptcy.

Yesy in Chicago, Illinois

10 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: No. Most companies don't see "the score" as that is an extra charge. What they are most concerned with is public record; things like repossessions, charge-offs and bankruptcy.

I actually just revived the last of my paper work 5 mins after I posted this
it's all good now. I got worried for nothing
I start next Tuesday :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.