Davita Salaries, Bonuses and Benefits.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (31)

Host

What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Davita?

What do you like best about working at Davita? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

Reply - Report abuse

Michele in Houston, Texas

88 months ago

I am interested in the answer to the question

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (118) / No (37) Reply - Report abuse

Jen in Lacey, Washington

88 months ago

Host said: What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Davita?

What do you like best about working at Davita? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

There are great benefits at DaVita - it is an employee driven company - I only left due to a job closer to my home

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (63) / No (50) Reply - Report abuse

Susan in Aberdeen, Washington

86 months ago

I agree that 15-16 patients per RN is unsafe. I am very close to quitting for that reason. (another dialyis company - sounds like they are all the same, at least the big companies anyway!)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

buttercup

85 months ago

Hello, I was with Davita for years. I have worked in just about every aspect of this company. From my experience I can truly say that this company talks a lot about there core values and shows absolutly none to their patients as well as their employees. I had worked in both the laboratory and clinics. Which I might say are two different enities. You might say that they are the same company but working there feels like they are not. In the Lab, I noticed there are definately more perks like bonuses at least every 3 months and good pay. Anything you need you get. That's if you can put up with the high school drama. The few honest hard- working people there get the work done. You can probably figure out the rest. If you can handle all that, this is the right place for you. At the clinic, its a totally different story. The RN's and PCT's at Davita are the most hard working people I have met in my life. They are the defination of above and beyond. We are always short staffed and under paid I might add. I would say that 16 patients on one shift to 1 RN and 3 techs is about as unsafe as it gets. It seems that all around the US this is happening and the employee retention is a huge issue. Companys seem to worry about money now and not the people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (86) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

chris

84 months ago

buttercup,
I agree with what you said 100%. I used to work at a lab know people that work at the clinic, I hear them complain of the same things you mention everyday about working at the clinic. Working at the lab was quite the experience, I have never seen a company hire so many people that just don't work in my life, the lab has SO many people working in it yet they still can't get the job done adequatly. Management likes to hire women in the 18-25 age range to flirt with and hookup with, they also like to hire white males loaded up with piercing's and tatoo's, it seems like any profesional hard working person that comes in gets fired for some stupid reason while the partying alchoholics fit right in with the managers and move up. It realy is a backwards world in Davita

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Jane Doe in Sherman, Texas

84 months ago

I am an RN at a Davita clinic here in North Texas. I make $7.00 more an hour at my clinic than any hospital within 70 miles.

I love working for DaVita and will never be anything but a nephrology nurse.

I work with at least 1 LVN and 4 techs we have 18 chairs. With admin in the building we have 2 other RN's an LVN and a tech. We are busy the entire time we're open and we work non stop but I don't feel that our customers are at all at risk because of the nurse to patient ratio. Techs know their business and I'd have to say they know as much about a dialysis patient as any LVN and most RN's. They may not have a degree, but they know their nephrology!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (53) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Honorable RN in Randolph, New Jersey

83 months ago

I can't agree with you more. I had heard good things about Davita from some who had worked there in the past. Whether or not is was my division only or times have changed the company drastically, I cannot say, however it was a nightmare. Administrators are forced to work in place of the teammates when staff is short (which is all the time). The higher level employees are very unprofessionable, and instruct in terminating employees whose salaries are too high. One RN is responsible for at least 9 patients even if there are techs there and there will be two, the techs cannot do many of the things that only the RN can do, so the RNs run-amuck all day. There is little support from management. It's like it or leave it and ....there you go. I tend to think Kent Thiry wouldn't be too happy with this little part of the world.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Honorable RN in Florham Park, New Jersey

83 months ago

Was meant to be a reply to Buttercup's comments

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

eimajlegna in Maryland

82 months ago

I agree with Jane Doe. I am a Tech with Davita and from the Tech's view we do mostly everything that the RN's do except give the meds (and in some cases...ie: saline, lidocane, etc. we do it all) The tech is that patients first savior if something goes wrong..I can't tell you how many times i've had a patient go out on ME...not the nurse. We are all CPR certified..and unless someone in that facility is ACLS certified...there's nothing more that RN or LPN can do. Some of you talk about the 15:1 18:1 ratio of RN's...but in reality...if there is an LPN/LVN on the floor working as a tech...it's not a 15:1 ratio in the State/Davita's eyes...they are a NURSE...maybe not the "charge" Nurse...i dunno maybe things are different in MD..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

MedStudent in Leavenworth, Kansas

82 months ago

I worked at a county dialysis clinic (a competitor of davita) as a patient care tech for awhile until I had to quit to focus on my classes and I hate to say it but the nurse to patient ratio almost in any clinic you go to isn't that great. We had one nurse to thirty three patients an LPN who never got off of her butt and about four techs for the twelve hour shift. I've never worked so hard in my entire life but I soon realized thats the way things are ran. Its really sad but true, some patients didn't get the quality care that they deserved because the techs, nurses and other staff were never on the same page. The team work was horrible and it was ridiculous how bad the gossip was in the unit. The way things were ran was also sad, it seemed like they kept the ones who wanted to gossip and got rid of the ones who busted their butts!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

smilingeyes in Denver, Colorado

80 months ago

MedStudent in Leavenworth, Kansas said: I worked at a county dialysis clinic (a competitor of davita) as a patient care tech for awhile until I had to quit to focus on my classes and I hate to say it but the nurse to patient ratio almost in any clinic you go to isn't that great. We had one nurse to thirty three patients an LPN who never got off of her butt and about four techs for the twelve hour shift. I've never worked so hard in my entire life but I soon realized thats the way things are ran. Its really sad but true, some patients didn't get the quality care that they deserved because the techs, nurses and other staff were never on the same page. The team work was horrible and it was ridiculous how bad the gossip was in the unit. The way things were ran was also sad, it seemed like they kept the ones who wanted to gossip and got rid of the ones who busted their butts!

I worked for a dialysis center also -- the gossip and immaturity of some people I worked with was ridiculous. After going to my boss and speaking to her about it. I found out it was her that was spreading all the gossip. I left that job -- if u cannot trust the boss - it is time to leave!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Time to Move On... in Dayton, Ohio

55 months ago

chris said: it seems like any profesional hard working person that comes in gets fired for some stupid reason while the partying alchoholics fit right in with the managers and move up. It realy is a backwards world in Davita

Wow, I thought that was just in my region...you certainly hit the nail on the head...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Simone in Phoenix, Arizona

22 months ago

eimajlegna in Maryland said: I agree with Jane Doe. I am a Tech with Davita and from the Tech's view we do mostly everything that the RN's do except give the meds (and in some cases...ie: saline, lidocane, etc. we do it all) The tech is that patients first savior if something goes wrong..I can't tell you how many times i've had a patient go out on ME...not the nurse. We are all CPR certified..and unless someone in that facility is ACLS certified...there's nothing more that RN or LPN can do. Some of you talk about the 15:1 18:1 ratio of RN's...but in reality...if there is an LPN/LVN on the floor working as a tech...it's not a 15:1 ratio in the State/Davita's eyes...they are a NURSE...maybe not the "charge" Nurse...i dunno maybe things are different in MD..

We really need to stop talking about who does the most work and look at the bigger picture. These companies don't care about who does the work. All they care about is getting the patient in that chair because as long as "blood hits the dialyzer" that is money for these greedy CO.
While we bicker with our bad backs, bad feet, declinig health etc. they rack in a ton a money. Dialysis like most health care segments has become an assembly line; get the patients on, get them off, at neck breaking speed. Management, what a joke. They manage to work the *** out of us while their pockets swell.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Simone in Phoenix, Arizona

22 months ago

Time to Move On... in Dayton, Ohio said: Wow, I thought that was just in my region...you certainly hit the nail on the head...

You are exactly right. Hard working and lets not forget honest work are not valued. The silly, dishonest, unprofessional workers are promoted. I would love to see a strike situation. Not one worker, (nurse, tech, resuse, bio)come into work. Can you imagine it's 3 am and management coming out of the ivory towers and dialyze these patients. They can't do it,a bunch talking bobble heads. Management would faint in the middle of the treatment floor; not knowing how to trouble shoot the machines, respond to a patient going out, put in orders, adjust treatments, round with the nasty doctors, take orders and esp from someone who can barely speak clear english and have the nerve to get an attitude when you ask them to repeat the order.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

very disappointed in Plymouth, Minnesota

17 months ago

Host said: What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Davita?
PCT START AT 12.70. I was told that I would be making 2.00 more an hour in 10 yrs. Bonuses are only for clinics that make their "quota"

What do you like best about working at Davita? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?


All the patients were wonderful. It was too bad that the employees like to talk about them in front of other patients. I basically resihgned because of poor attitudes by nurses and all the gossiping. Inappropriate and unprofessional

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No Reply - Report abuse

curious in Yankton, South Dakota

14 months ago

Can somebody please tell me what the starting salary or hourly wage is for Patient Care Tech.? please and thank you ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

nikishere33 in Oswego, Illinois

10 months ago

anyone in ILLINOIS that works at Davita????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

EWA in Seattle, Washington

7 months ago

Bonus is a joke/insult. I like the culture, but they don't pay well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

EWA in Seattle, Washington

7 months ago

Bonus is a joke/insult and their salaries is below average compare to other companies. People work long long hours. The culture of the company is great. People are very nice. Bldg. @ Federal Way is beautiful. If you are looking to make some decent money and have life/work balance...this is not for you. If you are looking to meet niece people and have some fun...then this is for you.

Current employee.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RIM in Germantown, Maryland

5 months ago

JAMAGO in Pasadena, California said: WHAT ABOUT THE PAY!

Here in Maryland the salary range is between 14-18+/ hour. Depending On experience. Yearly raises are very small.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

DaViter4Life in Phoenix, Arizona

4 months ago

Starting pay is dependant on the FA (Facility Administrator) as well as yearly raises. Well, it's on the ROD but if your FA won't suggest it, they won't think twice of leaving you at $12.50 an hour. At my clinic my FA starts most PCTs with medical experience at $12.50 with a $2.00 raise after passing your CCHT test. She also considers how long it took to train you, how hard you work, etc. I started as a PCT without experience at $11.50 to an Admin. Assistant/Office Manager at $16.00 in under a year (and my FA wants to try for another raise this year). It's hard and sometimes the management can get crazy but we all joke that they pay well enough to ignore it. LOL. Benefits are decent. Don't expect many vacations, the "DaVita Dinosaurs" don't really pick up thr slack for the newer crowd and if you're the only person that can do a certain task (reuse, pt intake, etc.) It's hard to find coverage. I've had other FAs ask me to do intake or reports for them. My best advice is to cross-train. Learn all you can! Especially Reuse or admin stuff, learn Snappy, become a preceptor if you can! Word on the street is they will soon be grading workers by skill and paying accordingly (mostly because ppl who haven't done more than patient care for 15+ years are making about as much as RNs/LPNs). Those that are currently working, check and see what grade you have. I'm an AA and CCHT and I'm considered a level 3 clinician. As for bonuses, they are pretty good. My December bonus was a nice present and the quotas aren't hard to make. I will say that this job isn't for loners. I've seen two come in during my time, one was fired in 9mos. and the other took that as a cue to stop being such a jerk. This isn't a job for antisocial ppl. The gossip is lame, but it depends on your clinic. Mine isn't too bad but I have worked at others and there is always one person that wants to know how so-and-so is doing. Which takes me back to not being antisocial. Your get a rep pretty fast here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Christy Horton in Chandler, Arizona

4 months ago

DaViter4Life in Phoenix, Arizona said: Starting pay is dependant on the FA (Facility Administrator) as well as yearly raises. Well, it's on the ROD but if your FA won't suggest it, they won't think twice of leaving you at $12.50 an hour. At my clinic my FA starts most PCTs with medical experience at $12.50 with a $2.00 raise after passing your CCHT test. She also considers how long it took to train you, how hard you work, etc. I started as a PCT without experience at $11.50 to an Admin. Assistant/Office Manager at $16.00 in under a year (and my FA wants to try for another raise this year). It's hard and sometimes the management can get crazy but we all joke that they pay well enough to ignore it. LOL. Benefits are decent. Don't expect many vacations, the "DaVita Dinosaurs" don't really pick up thr slack for the newer crowd and if you're the only person that can do a certain task (reuse, pt intake, etc.) It's hard to find coverage. I've had other FAs ask me to do intake or reports for them. My best advice is to cross-train. Learn all you can! Especially Reuse or admin stuff, learn Snappy, become a preceptor if you can! Word on the street is they will soon be grading workers by skill and paying accordingly (mostly because ppl who haven't done more than patient care for 15+ years are making about as much as RNs/LPNs). Those that are currently working, check and see what grade you have. I'm an AA and CCHT and I'm considered a level 3 clinician. As for bonuses, they are pretty good. My December bonus was a nice present and the quotas aren't hard to make. I will say that this job isn't for loners. I've seen two come in during my time, one was fired in 9mos. and the other took that as a cue to stop being such a jerk. This isn't a job for antisocial ppl. The gossip is lame, but it depends on your clinic. Mine isn't too bad but I have worked at others and there is always one person that wants to know how so-and-so is doing. Which takes me back to not being antisocial

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Christy Horton in Chandler, Arizona

4 months ago

WOW! Thanks for all your GREAT information. My challenge is that I am a CNA but do NOT have the dialysis education, certification.
1. Will they consider candidates that are not dialysis certified & allow you to obtain this within the 18 months per CMS guidelines? .......or do you HAVE to have it in order to be even considered?

Grateful for any help! ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

DaViter4Life in Phoenix, Arizona

4 months ago

Christy Horton in Chandler, Arizona said: WOW! Thanks for all your GREAT information. My challenge is that I am a CNA but do NOT have the dialysis education, certification.
1. Will they consider candidates that are not dialysis certified & allow you to obtain this within the 18 months per CMS guidelines? .......or do you HAVE to have it in order to be even considered?

Grateful for any help! ;)

No. Truth is no one has dialysis experience. And you can't do a CCHT exam without 6 months experience working with patients. However, there are some schools that have dialysis tech programs. I think Brown Mackie does. They generally so prefer those with medical experience. Most of the techs I know were PCTs or MAs beforehand. I've only met one former CNA but her personality wasn't suited for it. My preceptor was a former phlebotomist and I have two former LPNs. But a lot are people like me that didn't do anything medical related besides a couple college courses or less. Thankfully I had my CPR card. Lol.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Christy Horton in Chandler, Arizona

4 months ago

THANK YOU for responding, you are so kind! I am very grateful for the information you have provided!

I DO have my CPR card though so I will keep applying! ;) However, I did just get a reject email for the South Mtn location....:( Oh well, tenacity is everything....lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Christy Horton in Chandler, Arizona

4 months ago

I've also applied this week to Fresenius. Do you have any opinion on that company?
Just curious as to what your thoughts are.

Again, THANK YOU! I'll venture to say you are very good in your position as you obviously like helping people! ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

DaViter4Life in Phoenix, Arizona

4 months ago

Christy Horton in Chandler, Arizona said: I've also applied this week to Fresenius. Do you have any opinion on that company?
Just curious as to what your thoughts are.

Again, THANK YOU! I'll venture to say you are very good in your position as you obviously like helping people! ;)

I love my job. Dialsysis is in my blood. Haha. My aunt was a hemo pt for 28 years. Even if I didn't love DaVita I would be grateful for the care they provided toward the end of her life. My grandfather was also a hemo pt hit with FMC. Personally, I like the Fresenius employees, pay is about $6 more on average but the workload is greater. I have a coworker that worked for FMC and she says the money isn't worth is compared to DaVita's attention of care to their staff. I know it isn't always perfect, too demanding most days, but FMC has gotta be crap if ppl jump ship for us. Either way, I know ppl that work out well at FMC and I have friends and family that work there. My grandfather's experience in their left a bad taste in my mouth. Their attention to the pt seems too distracted, there is no connection. I also don't approve of some of the nurses that come from FMC to DaVita. Sadly, I've lost more than a few nurses I did like to FMC. DaVita is very about the "DaVita Way" to the point of sounding cult-ish and I know ppl that are fired for not conforming or passed for jobs due to a lack of "DaVita Culture." But they do a lot of team building, group projects, etc. It's lik cheer camp! FMC doesn't push any culture down your throat because it lacks any. I am not trying to discourage but I've also seen very good ppl passed up by FAs in favor of relatives/friends and I know some places have a high turnover, making training a new PCT unrealistic if they have a trained PCT from another clinic transferring. Best advice is keep trying! And I am decent at my job. Charisma is important. Lol.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

raestar1 in California

2 months ago

Hi, I have been trying to get a PCT job with Davita for about 2 months now. I finally was able to get a recruiter to contact me only to say that they chose to hire more experienced candidates. This bummed me out so bad. I have no experience nor any of the qualifications they PREFER, so I do understand. However, I wish they would have taken a chance to read my cover letter and still possibly consider me as a candidate. Kidney disease runs rampant throughout my family(Mom, grandpa, uncle, cousins, second cousins, siblings,ect.) so its nothing new to me. my mom is a dialysis patients and I stay with my mom while she's being dialyzed sometimes. So, I am not just some random person looking for a job. I have become very passionate with helping my mom with everything and I have compassion for what dialysis patients go through. Its crazy too because I have 1 reference from a Fresenius employee(Moms friend), 1 reference from a PCT at Davita, and 1 reference from the person who runs all of the Davita clinics in my area! So, you would think I had a good "In" but nope. I would love to work at Davita but I guess it might not happen for me. :( Unless I become a MA or CNA but that would be wasting time for me bleh. My whole idea was to get paid training to be a tech while I work towards my RN and then possibly become a nephrology nurse.

Do you think I still have a chance of getting in there? Or Fresenius maybe? Or hell maybe I should just give up :/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

eve in El Paso, Texas

1 month ago

raestar1 in California said: Hi, I have been trying to get a PCT job with Davita for about 2 months now. I finally was able to get a recruiter to contact me only to say that they chose to hire more experienced candidates. This bummed me out so bad. I have no experience nor any of the qualifications they PREFER, so I do understand. However, I wish they would have taken a chance to read my cover letter and still possibly consider me as a candidate. Kidney disease runs rampant throughout my family(Mom, grandpa, uncle, cousins, second cousins, siblings,ect.) so its nothing new to me. my mom is a dialysis patients and I stay with my mom while she's being dialyzed sometimes. So, I am not just some random person looking for a job. I have become very passionate with helping my mom with everything and I have compassion for what dialysis patients go through. Its crazy too because I have 1 reference from a Fresenius employee(Moms friend), 1 reference from a PCT at Davita, and 1 reference from the person who runs all of the Davita clinics in my area! So, you would think I had a good "In" but nope. I would love to work at Davita but I guess it might not happen for me. :( Unless I become a MA or CNA but that would be wasting time for me bleh. My whole idea was to get paid training to be a tech while I work towards my RN and then possibly become a nephrology nurse.

Do you think I still have a chance of getting in there? Or Fresenius maybe? Or hell maybe I should just give up :/

I actually applied over a year ago and I just now got an interview with them next week. I do have my EMT cert, but other than that I have never worked in the field. Why not invest your time in attaining you're CNA cert if it means it will help you out in getting you're foot in the door with the company. Its NEVER a waste of time to invest in you're self. The community college I attend offers the certification class and its like 3 months for about $400. Not bad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

DaViter4Life in La Puente, California

1 month ago

raestar1 in California said: Hi, I have been trying to get a PCT job with Davita for about 2 months now. I finally was able to get a recruiter to contact me only to say that they chose to hire more experienced candidates. This bummed me out so bad. I have no experience nor any of the qualifications they PREFER, so I do understand. However, I wish they would have taken a chance to read my cover letter and still possibly consider me as a candidate. Kidney disease runs rampant throughout my family(Mom, grandpa, uncle, cousins, second cousins, siblings,ect.) so its nothing new to me. my mom is a dialysis patients and I stay with my mom while she's being dialyzed sometimes. So, I am not just some random person looking for a job. I have become very passionate with helping my mom with everything and I have compassion for what dialysis patients go through. Its crazy too because I have 1 reference from a Fresenius employee(Moms friend), 1 reference from a PCT at Davita, and 1 reference from the person who runs all of the Davita clinics in my area! So, you would think I had a good "In" but nope. I would love to work at Davita but I guess it might not happen for me. :( Unless I become a MA or CNA but that would be wasting time for me bleh. My whole idea was to get paid training to be a tech while I work towards my RN and then possibly become a nephrology nurse.

Do you think I still have a chance of getting in there? Or Fresenius maybe? Or hell maybe I should just give up :/

I would definitely go get your CNA! Every bit helps! Don't get discouraged, sometimes it just takes the right person to review your info. The recruiters can be kind of brainless. Best of luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.