Impossible egg to crack: Deloitte Jobs!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (50)

brac7206 in New Caney, Texas

101 months ago

Odd. Same thing happened to me with Baker TODAY. After the interview, testing, and consistent emails assuring me it was in the hands of the HR department for a higher pay rate approval, I was informed this morning that a "hiring freeze" went into effect this past Friday (3/16/07). Supposedly it should last "a month or two at the most". I googled it as well and found these similar comments. I have to say I was rather disappointed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nojob in Houston, Texas

101 months ago

I heard that Baker had the hiring freeze a month ago. Not sure if it's true or not. It is disappointing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Andy Marie in Raleigh, North Carolina

101 months ago

Hey Tex friends! I wish I could offer more insight/help, perhaps we can all commiserate together? At least we're not alone. Keep us posted on the Baker freeze. This is a sticky time to find work apparently.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Beth

101 months ago

Basically, for the Washington,DC, metropolitan area, they want someone who can do government consulting.
That means government contracts. You are in the wrong market. The deep pocket industry here for consulting is the government, particularly Defense. For that, you need a top-secret or Crypto clearance, and preferably recently retired CIA or military with at least the rank of colonel. That's what they do. I don't know about Deloitte, but that is what the big consulting firms do here. You are overqualified. You scare these people. Look at their practice areas and clients to see if you fit into any of them. You won't. Wrong mar

Andy Marie said: hey Philly- thanks. I was actually recruited Big4..went to very top tier school too. I got sucked into industry because I was offered the killer opportunity: I was offered 4 positions, I got to pick the one I wanted and then I got to write my own job description. I learned a TON but at the end of the day, I'm bored. I don't have exposure to what I want and the roles I would like to hold later on in industry all DEMAND big 4. You enter industry at a higher level too. I will never, realistically (luck excluded) be able to do what I want without the experience and I genuinely WANT to work with a big firm. SOX has added additional levels of difficlulty- most large companies won't hire someone in Finance to run a division/manage financial statement stuff without Big 4 because they need to comply with red tape and I REALLY REALLY HATE INDUSTRY. ALL INDUSTRY. My friends that went big 4 hated it, and all I did was wish I was in their shoes. Sadly, associates don't have enough clout to help a sister out. So, here I sit, frustrated beyond belief, waiting for my exam scores and wishing I were doing something else. If I were an HR person or even a partner, it would be smart for me to want to hire someone who lives and breathes to be a part of my firm, rather than someone who just wants to use it for a yea

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Beth

101 months ago

Try Reznick. It's got a lot of government business in accounting and it's hiring like crazy. It's in Bethesda, MD. You can live in Silver Spring if you want safe and cheap. There are secure buildings there for older, retired people that are high rises and not so expensive. Best bet for cracking the DC market: Join the military or work for the CIA. Then you can work for the lucrative "Homeland Security" market where you can work for the folks who "f****d over the victims of Hurricane Katrina, FEMA. That's DC in a nutshell.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jeremy in Grapeland, Texas

101 months ago

it is true about Baker. They are having a hiring freeze until at least april first.

Jeremy in Grapeland, Texas

101 months ago

It's actually been going on since the first of March and they are going to re-evaluate things at the start of the second quarter (April 1st)

Peter in Los Angeles, California

101 months ago

Any one knows contact details of any HR Recruiters for IT Consulting Services at Deloitte USA?

Please get back.

Thanks.

W in Sacramento, California

101 months ago

Anna Marie,

Sounds like you're determined to do this. Any special reason you want to work for Deloitte? I ask because I got an interview (today - yikes!) with them through a company called AgyreeYa Solutions (although I would be employeed by the latter, it seems like a good way for someone to get their foot in the door, network and make connections). That being said, I'm not an accountant. I'm more of an IT analyst with general exposure to accounting principals and technologies.

Deloitte has it's hands in all sorts of IT projects that relate to accounting systems (e.g., ERP Consulting). If you have experience with software development (for you it would probably be something like having been a Business Analyst), you might be able to land that type of a job with them. Companies are competing for this type of individual, especially those with accounting experience. If you don't, I'd say go get some exposure to that.

Your writing, enthusiasm and outgoing personality would make you a good candidate to be a Business Analyst or Consultant, which are jobs where you typically deal with the clients instead of the numbers. Accountants (excuse the generalization) aren't usually good at that. The clients in this industry, however, ARE accountants, and consulting firms like Deloitte need people who can speak the language.

At 28, I am right there in the same boat with you in age and still deciding what kind of career I want (although you seem set on one at Deloitte). Think about consulting or other business end type jobs, you might find that you like doing this better. Several of our consultants with my current company are former accountants and said they wouldn't go back.

Just a thought...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

101 months ago

Hey W--Thanks for your kind words..I'm keeping my fingers crossed, I have something very very big happening :-) and I just can't jinx it!! I am the accountant's accountant, but I have always seen myself as more of the CFO. I want to be the #2 man, err woman. I am way too social to crunch numbers all day, but I'm glad I've had the experience. I think I may have found the perfect place for this and it's NOT industry. I did full product life cycle development of a multi-release enterprise planning system. 2 years, 5 releases. I don't particularly love one thing: the hundreds of thousands of iterations of silly documentation and dealing with passive aggressive business owners who know what they want but won't tell you. I'd rather not be a consultant, so many companies are trying to control expenses and are hiring to avoid consultants. I also am an addict runner, food lover and mom to a very old dog. While I love to travel, I don't want to be on the plane 4 days a week.

I love accounting, it's the financial language of a company, and it's absolutely critical that one understand the magnitude of proper recording of transactions and how they can change a bottom line rather materially.

I like your wit and wish you luck with this new company. I'm going to post my email for any that would like to email me offline, I am curious how the job search is going for y'all.

andymarieACC@gmail.com

W in Roseville, California

101 months ago

Just FYI, the interview with Deloitte went really really well, and they think I will be a good fit (crossing my fingers!). I hear next week.

Good to hear you have the background and have tried the other road. The experience will serve you well! I don't much care for versioning, iterating, etc., but you'll always be stuck with that. And I understand the travel thing too, except from the opposite perspective, I have wander-lust that keeps me moving.

Also, I like being the #1 guy, CEO, COO or CTO, so who knows, maybe we'll cross paths in the board room. I also understand the heart of a company is accountability and financials (done a few COA related projects) and understand just how important you financial types are.

Good Luck to you, Andy Marie (sorry I got your name wrong the first time around) I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Regards,
W

101 months ago

Hey all...esp W. I went in to the firm for my final final interview (#2 office visit) and I thought it went super well. My hiring manager saw me before and after the partner interview and I was ready for them to make an offer. He walked me to the elevator and said he had to go break some bad news to a manager about their budget and told me it was good in life (we had an earlier conversation about this) to know that one can be flexible and create opportunities for him/herself and that i should always have options. What is that supposed to mean? I drove 5 hours home and thought about it in total silence. He didn't even tell me if they'd call me back, he raced me to the elevator.

So, I can assume it isn't going to work, they had me come so they could make the offer to another person-just jumping through the hoop of intervieiwing an industry person.

I am very upset. I thought this firm was a perfect fit for me, I got along very well with those with whom I spoke.

This kills me. PLEASE SOMEONE, SOMEONE OUT THERE -I HATE INDUSTRY, I don't ever EVER want to be back in industry. I'm barely out of school, I've now been shafted what looks like twice big the big 4, but it's ALL I want to do. I know you guys don't like to hire people with work experience, but my work experience isn't in tax or audit, I'm just like a kid straight from school with knowledge of general ledger stuff.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO! I shouldn't rule an offer out, but one would thing I wouldn't have face time with a partner if it's going to be not-an-offer.

And as for the exam, I got my score back and passed what I took!!!! I just scheduled the rest.

What can I possibly do?I know the hiring classes are coming in during the summer and I want to be a part of that. Please someone with any sort of idea on how to get in. I feel like I've exhausted my resources but REFUSE to give up.

Public accounting world, get ready for me-you have NO idea what you've been missing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

W in Sacramento, California

101 months ago

Good news... I got the job!

I remember that for my current job, I had the worst interview ever and I thought for sure I didn't stand a chance, but here I am... And I've also had some interviews that went swimmingly and never heard back.

Try to be patient, someone will recognize your talent. Best of luck!

W

101 months ago

Ok guys, I get this cryptic email yesterday:

"On behalf of 'X', I would like to let you know that we are unable to move forward with you in the Hiring process right now. However, we will have an update for you on your status as soon as she returns to the office early next week.
Have a great Weekend!"

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN--thanks but no thanks? and have a great weekend??????? Are we serious? We can't move forward right now.....help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carrie

101 months ago

Employers do not communicate with people they have decided not to hire. I think they want to keep you interested, because they are extending you the courtesy of informing you about the status of the hire. Your qualifications are too impressive for them to just dismiss you. If they were not ever going to hire you, they would just send you a letter in the mail saying you were not a good fit and that they will keep your resume on file for six months, the standard line.

I think you are too qualified for some of the jobs they are hiring for but not qualified enough for the other ones, by that, I mean, you are not straight out of school so you can be molded, but you have no specific Washington experience, if you are interviewing for the McLean or Washington offices. A Washington practice means interfacing with government. There are a million regulatory agencies involved in a Washington practice not involved in any other area, including New York. The accounting firms also support the large law firms in whatever regulatory or other practice they have.

This is a wild shot, but Deloitte's Washington office is located in the Thurman Arnold building at 555 12th Street. That building houses Arnold and Porter, Washington's premier law firm, so it's a good bet that they do work for A&P. I am a lawyer, not an accountant, but I would look at what A&P does, see if Deloitte supports some of that, and see where you fit in.

I think the accounting firms are a lot like the larger law firms here because a lot of the partners have law degrees from the same schools. There is some difference, however. The law firms are always looking for lateral hires from other areas and actively use headhunters. If you are unemployed in DC, no one wants to hire you. So get something else in DC and keep looking.

The change in government to a Democratic Congress means more investigations. Accounting firms should be gearing up for this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

101 months ago

Carrie, you are BRILLIANT, thank you..I will be doing some research today on A&P, I have heard of them. I think I am going to face an independence issue, I am pretty sure that my HR person is going to tell me on Monday that it is a problem. The firm I interviewed with is my companies auditor and the partner in charge is from the DC office. Although I wouldn't be on the audit team, I'm sure they need to ensure I doin't get anywhere near the audit. Surprisingly, my company is private-nfp, so we're not subject to SOX. I hope it's not an issue but I can see it as a sticking point for them. I passed the part of the cpa exam that I took, I slid the letter across the table to my *hopefully soon to be manager and he was impressed. That MUST work in my favor! A law firm is a good place for a CPA......thanks again!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

W

101 months ago

That is a cryptic email! I'd be all like, "WTF?" It's not an outright rejection like, "Oh, sorry, you suck and we're not going to hire you." and it's certainly not an affirmation of faith, "We're having technical difficulties right now, but plese stand by and know that we're still interested." It seems to be somewhere in between.... Send an email to their HR, be all like, "WTF?"

Sorry, I'm from CA and we're all, like, surfer dudes out here (ya know, 'cause we all live near the beach, bRaH, and our minds have been, like, totally warped by all the sunshine) so you'll have to excuse my language and other idioms... But even an idiot can see: That's a dumb communique.

Regards,
W

101 months ago

Hey Dubya and friends. I got the job :) Salary is way lower than i expected, so I'm frantically trying to find housing. To not take this would be a shot in the head.

Now the deal is: WHOA how scary are all these forms on your 'background'. makes the average girl feel like a criminal. I am not applying for a CIA job, jeez!!!! So scary!

Have you heard yet, Cali? I was in Newport Beach in december and just love it there, best friend rents on Balboa. It's the side of CA I love..very little on the plastic female side, large on just really nice people!

:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KPMG or bust! in Baltimore, Maryland

100 months ago

Andy Marie in Raleigh, North Carolina said: Hey Dubya and friends. I got the job :) Salary is way lower than i expected, so I'm frantically trying to find housing. To not take this would be a shot in the head.

Now the deal is: WHOA how scary are all these forms on your 'background'. makes the average girl feel like a criminal. I am not applying for a CIA job, jeez!!!! So scary!

Have you heard yet, Cali? I was in Newport Beach in december and just love it there, best friend rents on Balboa. It's the side of CA I love..very little on the plastic female side, large on just really nice people!

congrats on the job Andy. I read your entire thread and your story sounds exactly like mine except i havent gotten the job and i'm not looking for an accounting j0b. I have government contracting experience (7 years) and KPMG has always been a goal for me. if am not mistaken you were applying for the washington dc region, correct? got any contacts in recruiting? sad to say, but i actually had to go to the dc office and get someone direct email to send my resume too. still waiting to hear back. any thought?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

100 months ago

Ok, looks like my last post didn't post. Baltimore, email me directly, andymarieacc@gmail.com. Let's see if I can't turn up something as soon as I get "orientated".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

bluemoon in Houston, Texas

100 months ago

You would be better off to go to any other Tier-2 firms. Deloitte is loosing its touch and you would be disappointed with Deloitte culture, expertise and overall compensation

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Omega Staff in Dallas, Texas

99 months ago

ex-AA, and ex-KPMG in Houston, Texas said: One more important thing I did not add, about Deloitte...I had a friend on the tax side of the house here in Houston who was a Sr. Mgr. She was instructed by the higher ups to see certain strategies. She did and got the attention of the Department of Labor. Not good. She ended up leaving her job. She later told me that the strategy she sold she thought ultimately cost her...her job and her career. I am sure much more went on behind the scenes that I do not know about. One has to always be careful. Think about what you are doing and ask, does this make sense? And, if my signature is on it, is there any potential for it to come back and bite me later on down the line.

Hello,

I'm a Search Consultant with a firm in Dallas/Ft. Worth. I have an IMMEDIATE need for Sr. Tax Manager. My client is a top CPA firm in the US(not a big four). Please have your friend contact me if she would like to learn more about this opportunity. My email address is mderiggs@omegastaff.com. Thanks!

Omega Staff in Dallas, Texas

99 months ago

Andy Marie in Raleigh, North Carolina said: Ok guys, I get this cryptic email yesterday:

"On behalf of 'X', I would like to let you know that we are unable to move forward with you in the Hiring process right now. However, we will have an update for you on your status as soon as she returns to the office early next week.
Have a great Weekend!"

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN--thanks but no thanks? and have a great weekend??????? Are we serious? We can't move forward right now.....help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Andy,

Are you open to relocating to the Dallas Ft. Worth area? If so I have IMMEDIATE openings with an awesome CPA firm. I can be reached at mderiggs@omegastaff.com. Thanks!

mark the shark in Denver, Colorado

98 months ago

Public accounting is horrible. There are more important things in life than looking at historical information and killing the clients bottom line with your fees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sleepless in Minneapolis, Minnesota

98 months ago

If you really want a job with Deloitte you may want to reconsider relocation. Have you tried to apply for a job in MN or other less desired locations?

Tony559 in Fresno, California

97 months ago

Congrats Andy Marie! I am so glad you never gave up. I wish I had ran across this site months ago so I can put in my two cents. I am in similar situation and this thread inspired me. I have to admit, however, that most of what I read here is very, very sad (for a lack of a stronger word). It is amazing how someone with your credentials, knowledge and attitude can find themselves in a situation like this. It's as if I were a sports agent and discovered the next Jordan or Kobe but noone would contract him because he's not at least 6'10 or some other stupid reason like that. These people always find something wrong with EVERY job candidate otherwise they'd end up paying them what they actually DESERVE to be paid, which is at least two, three times of what they offer in my humble opinion. The corporate world is a very nasty and dirty one. And then they wonder why the gap between the rich and poor is growing... Well guess what, for every slave... er employee they hire, CEOs, board members and owners add the difference between what you're really worth and what they paid you to THEIR paycheck. So guess what at the end of the year, they're buying their 3rd Ferrari and you're sitting at home crunching numbers and trying to see who's NOT going to get a Christmas present this year. Anyway, I'm sure you all get my point so I'll stop here. But as it relates to your situation, Andy Marie, I can tell you're destined for much greater things than being someone's little worker bee. I didn't get much of an idea about your entrepreneural side, but I see you being a partner or owning your own company in the next few years. With the talent you possess, you shouldn't be making anyone's pockets fat but your own. I pray that as you use this company to gain knowledge and experience, you won't run into any jealous co-workers or managers that have no clue about running anything. God bless!

T

dubya in Sacramento, California

97 months ago

Andy Marie in Raleigh, North Carolina said: Hey Dubya and friends. I got the job :) Salary is way lower than i expected, so I'm frantically trying to find housing. To not take this would be a shot in the head.

Hey all. Been reading the thread. Last month i took a CA state test. I've been shopping at Sacto consulting firms which primarily do government work, and the offers I've received have been less than what the state offers. I have received about 100 state "inquiries" but am waiting for the budget to pass to get interviews. There r so many little consulting firms now that it's hard to compete. Honestly, the state seems to be a better choice. Of course i havent got an offer yet, but it seems a shoe in, more time off, better benefits etc. And u have to live here in Sacramento... Thoughts?

jongon in Saint Louis, Missouri

97 months ago

I am scheduled to interview for an administrative assistant job with Towers. What is the environment like in St. Louis? Should I pursue or pass it up?

anne at state government in Tallahassee, Florida

97 months ago

We have Deloitte and SAP as consultants and it appears to be very hard to get an interview with them. I have heard that MN will be their new big project. They have several projects going but I understand they just got a new contract for MN. If you notice, they do not post salary on their website. You apply to an opening and your resume' is added to their data base, then it is checked for certain buzz words. Then you may or may not hear from them. Calling the office HR will get you no where unless you have a contact name and number. They may not help.

Good luck, I am out there looking for something in Tennessee.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ed in Epsom, United Kingdom

96 months ago

You should look at the posts about Deloitte on www.notgotajobyet.com as they are quite helpful...!!

Ed

XX learn qucklyXX in Chicago, Illinois

95 months ago

If you are lookig for an excellent recruiter to assist you in your job search and get into the top companies contact who I used. She also placed 2 of my co-workers. She is wonderful to work with. She has a professionislm about her that beats all the other services I was using.

Jeanna Roberts
hr.strategictalent@yahoo.com

Hope it helps... She is located in the chicago market. She had companies in a few states from what I remember. And alot of financial positions. She had my needs in mind!

samgirl in Somewhere, Illinois

95 months ago

Andy Marie in Raleigh, North Carolina said: Hey 'all my exes live in Texas' (sorry, had to lighten it up a little)..I thank you for feeling my pain and completely understand yours! It is so hard for me to believe, yet I know from my friends, big firms abuse their people and complain about not being able to hire someone trainable to do the job. I think it all comes down to greed--that and a high school clique. You and I are a lot alike, you understand exactly what I am looking for- a learning environment, constant challenge, a team that becomes your best friend, all those things.
I don't know how else to change my strategy but I realize I need to modify it in some way. Things WILL change, as an accountant it's hard to stay positive and be a little ray of sunshine but I'll do it. Somebody in HR will see my resume, it's inevitable. I learned all about the resume filters that are used and tailored my resume to avoid 'auto-non-consideration' items.

Off for breakfast. I wish I could help you in some way, other than a few folks at Hewitt, I don't know many in Comp&Benefits.

I have a framed quote on my wall, "Everything

Could you explain how to get past the resume filters?

samgirl in Somewhere, Illinois

95 months ago

D. hires right out of college or law school. My husband worked in this company pre D. when there was a big 8 then big 6 after he left now there are 4. Thank God he is no longer in that business. They will work you to death. The environment after the merge was awful he was not from Deloitte but from Touche. Deloitte took over. Oh if you are from law school they will look at your LSATS to see how intelligent you are. In the tax department thats what they are looking at.

Thao Lim in Irvine, California

95 months ago

Please e mail me directly if you would like to discuss in detail. I have had success with this company and I can share my experience with you.

Julia Walker in Lexington, South Carolina

94 months ago

I had interview with Deloitte on my university campus again...

Last year I had interview with them for an internship and didn't get it. After that, I went to all their recruitment events on our campus and around and I thought I got prepared and knew what they need. After this interview, I got an e-mail asking to fill employment application and release form for my background check, and the very next day I got a letter in a mail that they can't offer me a job...

I e-mailed to my recruiter asking for some feedback and got a reply that there was no openings in the Tampa office where I wanted to go... It doesn't make sence.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

shari hodges in West Covina, California

94 months ago

My ex husband works for DeLoitte, so let me tell you why you and everybody else. My ex husband is a CIA agent that slipped thru the background check when he was hired by the CIA 30 years ago. He disappeared for 20 years and was located by the District Attorney, because he was a deadbeat dad. It was your typical government bureaucracy not paying attention, and let him slip thru. I threw him out in 1978 because he was an abusive alcoholic that got his military training in the Navy. I found his name on a list of DeLoitte employees. DeLoitte is apparently a cover for CIA inside operations in private firms. So if you want a job there, just fill out an application with the CIA, don't give them your real background or names to check for references, get hired, then tell them you want to work at DeLoitte. There. Does that clear it up for everybody?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

shari hodges in West Covina, California

94 months ago

DeLoitte is a CIA cover. I know because my ex husband works there. He's a loser CIA agent that I kicked out in 1978, he lied about his background to get into the CIA, used his buddies in the Navy to get him in. I threw him out because he was an abusive alcoholic. He was prosecuted for deadbeat dad, and still held his job at the CIA, because nobody found out. He keeps covering his backside. He was exposed this year before a Federal hearing. All this time, he's been working at DeLoitte and the CIA. DeLoitte is a private cover they can use to get into the financial affairs of foreign banks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

unknown2u in Hermitage, Tennessee

93 months ago

i am not sure about the CIA bit, but working at D&T is not the end all be all. STOP WASTING YOUR TIME TRYING TO GET A JOB WITH D&T. They work everyone over allocated. An earlier poster had it right, the partners bottom line is what it is all about. They don't care about turnover, they don't care about people, they care about their outrageous benefits and earnings the firm provides. furthermore, it's not just in the "accounting" areas that the firm treats people like the posts here explain, everyone, even in "technology" areas have the same challenges to deal with. it's no wonder they have a such a hard time recruiting good technology people, word gets out.

Happy I Left Reznick Group the Worst Swe in Georgia

92 months ago

Whatever you do, do not go to work for Reznick Group. The partners and senior managers are very cut throat, and seek to work you 70, 80, 90 hours per week ALL YEAR LONG. If they ake you a great offer, you need to take the offer into context of working 80 hour workweeks. There is no busy season, busy season is always present because they bid all of their real estate audits at $7,500 [this is a max price, I have actually seen some of their audits priced out at $4,000 - $5,000] for these stupid tax credit multi family unit properties that are significantly limited to what they can pay out in audit fees. The real estate partnership accountants cannot perform their duties properly, so you essentially spend all of your overtime doing journal entries [which the partner will not allow you to charge the client, otherwise you will make him go overbudget, so you eat the breakfast of champions; you eat lots and lots of time]. Reznick's model is to hire you right before January, work you to death, and then get rid of you after busy season if possible. They pay out bonuses in October but try to run people off to where they resign before October so that the firm does not have to pay the bonuses out. Your bonus, then, goes to the partner who ran you off. Talk to some of the people that have been evaluated by Reznick partners and you will see that they are very bitter. Reznick concentrates only on tax credit real estate partnerhips; therefore, when you want to leave public accounting to go to industry your value will be limited because all of your experience will be in providing "free" accounting assistance to property managers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chicago Guy in Chicago, Illinois

88 months ago

Just because you have credentials doesn't mean you deserve a job. 90% of the interview is whether or not the interviewers like you. As long as you have a good personality and seem to have a good head on your shoulders you should have no problem getting a job.

Also, make sure your resume is perfect! I've seen to many resumes with spelling errors, grammatical errors, and/or poor formatting. All these things are a big disadvantage to you, if you don't have a perfect resume it reflects poorly on you. If you submit a bad resume to an interviewer it shows you don't care about your work and how it is presented and that equals no job.

Vale Vacc in Vail, Colorado

84 months ago

Why didn't the young lady just apply to all the other Big4 firms? Unless I missed something, I did not read that she did. Now that she has the job, I guess it does not matter.

I just left another Big4 firm because it would not give me the time to visit my dying parent who lives out of town. I requested a leave or a transfer and, given my limited seniority, the firm did not grant it. I am trying to get into another firm at this point and I know just how limited my chances are with less than a year on my CV. I had it all: two top schools, 4.0 GPA, two foreign languages, and a great client-service temperament. I wish the girl here much luck. I certainly did not have any, but I am happy I was able to see my mother before she passed away.

Dymond in Washington, District of Columbia

84 months ago

I have been with Deloitte for 3 years. Send me your resume at sdymond@deloitte.com. I can forward it to the right people to try to get you an interview.

Steve VanArsdale in Mount Prospect, Illinois

84 months ago

OUCH. Not the firm I was hoping to work with. Had any success since, Andy?
steve@vanarsdale.com
Chicago

"Andy Marie in Raleigh, North Carolina"]Hey All- I am looking for a little bit of help. I think it is virtually impossible to get an entry level job at Deloitte in either Tax or Auditing.

Chicago Guy in Chicago, Illinois

84 months ago

SFHR has no idea what she is talking about. If your parents die, or grandma is ill, you can go visit them. You are not working at some sort of slave driving Company. This is where the rest of the Deloitte TEAM comes into play. If someone needs to leave for family or personal issues, the rest of the people pick up the slack, just like at most companies.

Deloitte is awesome at balancing your career and your work. Yes, you can work 60,70, 80 hour week but you can also work 40-50 hour weeks if you make your priorities known. And yes, the guy/girl working 80 hours a week is going to get promoted than the guy work 40 hours a week, because they are typically doing much more work and getting more experience.

Deloitte is also one of the top culturally diverse companies in the work place. Take at look at their hiring statistics at forbes.com or any other business website. They are a great people Company. They are also extremly women friendly and new mom friendly, even a new dad is allowed to take "manternity leave" which does not count against his vacation days.

I don't know why some people choose to bash Deloitte, maybe because they had a bad experience or worked in a bad group. All companies have their fair share of bad managers, but a bad manager does not make a bad company. You can always transfer to different service lines and jobs within Deloitte if you are not happy with the one you are in.

Good Luck job hunting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

vio sam in Charlotte, North Carolina

83 months ago

How do you get into Deloitte - Tax area? I applied for several Consultant positions in GES department and never heard back. I have an LLM in Tax (graduated this year) but not a CPA. I tried calling the Atlanta office and talk to someone in HR but all I get is a recorded message. I really want to get into Deloitte. Any chances of happening w/o being CPA (it is not required for this position)?

usc trojan in Orange County, California

82 months ago

Unfortunately my comment may or may not provide appropriate guidance. Every office within Deloitte has different procedures and requirements for what they value in perspective candidates. I can only offer you feedback based on what I have seen from new hires that have attempted to gain employment in the Orange County, CA office.

An impressive resume is only one part of a much larger picture. The majority of experienced hire applicants possess resumes that would impress any reasonable person. Therefore other qualities and distinctions must be drawn on in the interview.

Personality is first and foremost. Was the candidate conversational? Did they ask me questions that were natural and not scripted? Did they make any negative comments about their previous employer, work experiences, etc...? It is best at this point to let you know that these candidates are generally not the ones I recommend post interview. Negativity in any fashion can work against you. Stay away from any form of it give heavy consideration to how your comments will be perceived. Did the conversation circle entirely around work or was there a good balance of career and personal goals?

Would this person get along with their associates? Will they be argumentative when given criticism? Will they work as a team player or try to work on their own agenda? Will they be accountable for their mistakes or pass blame?

The reason these type of questions are given consideration is not soley for the candidates evaluation but also how they will effect the practice at large. While we are looking for the best candidates in the marketplace, we make every effort to retain the stars we have already employed.

If you do not have a family, I would suggest you start applying to offices around the country. Not only submit your resume but be pro-active and call the recruiter. I would suggest you work on networking with DT associates as well. Who you know will only help. Good Luck!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bouje22 in Columbia, South Carolina

80 months ago

What USCTrojan says is good stuff and makes sense considering the competition is fairly intense for these positions... I would just add simply that being "negative" per se in an interview in my opinion would not NECESSARILY be the end of the world...for an experienced hire. It would be important how they say things, though, and if what they were saying made sense. That being said, if you ever do have a negative situation that ends up causing you to leave a job and have to later explain it in an interview, I would certainly try never to make it about any one person or really anything personal with anybody...just explain why you didn't like the environment or what you were doing, but try somehow to put a positive twist on it in the end if you can.

Of course, this discussing being primarily for Deloitte... they are generally going to be able to get what they want and if they don't want anyone with any negative experiences in their workpast, then that's what they'll get.

Harry Simpson in FartVille, Delaware

71 months ago

Deloitte is very diverse, but you must work for a different Deloitte if for some reason you believe it's flexible and not full of slave drivers. It is flexible if you have to leave early for a few hours, let's say 7 o'clock in the evening. My partner and manager will let you leave as long as you make up the hours later that night or come in on the weekends (which is fine because the work has to get done sometime). When I started with Deloitte I thought the partners and managers were amazing people. Now I just feel sorry for them. But some people like to work for a place where politics is more important that competence. We just need to be honest here and call a spade a spade.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Fred-rick in Michigan

66 months ago

I am CPA, CIA and MBA and fortunately I made a very strong and better career in Europe after being rejected by D&T for reasons other than job fit and qualifications / experience...not an equal opportunity workplace

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Conroe, Texas

65 months ago

Fred-rick in Michigan said: I am CPA, CIA and MBA and fortunately I made a very strong and better career in Europe after being rejected by D&T for reasons other than job fit and qualifications / experience...not an equal opportunity workplace

Does anybody know a recruiter, or someone in HR for baker Hughes in the woodlands Texas? They have 3 machinist positions open. I would love to get my foot in the door for an interview. The only number listed is the front desk, and they wont transfer me without a name.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.