Impossible egg to crack: Deloitte Jobs!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 80)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Andy Marie in Raleigh, North Carolina

95 months ago

Hey All- I am looking for a little bit of help. I think it is virtually impossible to get an entry level job at Deloitte in either Tax or Auditing. Now I know the WSJ has a daily "informative" article on how SOX has created all this work for us accountants and CNN MONEY has just released the starting salaries ("on average") for the class of 2007--I think accounting starting salary was $47k or so. I don't think any of this is true--are all these jobs in Fargo, Billings or Mexico?
I have applied online for 4 months now- no bites. I called HR and attempted to find someone to speak with but after a few emails I was told the Taleo system was "so slick" it would send my application to the appropriate recruiter.

My story: I have wanted to work at Deloitte since I was 12--that was almost 15 years ago. I went to college, earned top marks and graduated with high honors, worked M&A for my dad for 1 year, went to grad school (top tier Master of Accounting program), earned top marks again..yet I can't seem to get them interested in ANYTHING I do. Did I mention I also studied abroad, have 3 language fluency and hold a certificate in international negotiations? I work in industry--health insurance/financial services (as an analyst, been promoted and have served as a project manager) and want to get out before it's too late. I have a very well prepared resume, gorgeous cover-letter, spotless references (from 2 VPs of large regional consulting firms), 3 years experience and have taken 2 sections of the cpa exam, which I do anticipate having passed (find out in March)
I am looking in the McLean/DC area- you'd think they'd need another associate. I thought it would be much easier to do--I am pretty heavily networked. After not hearing back within 2 days, I decided to teach my 14 year old adopted blind dog new tricks while I wait. So far, he can roll over, play dead and shake.
Do ANY of you have any contacts, advice or any anything?? I am most gracious for any help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

FoonTheElder in Dallas, Texas

95 months ago

If the auditors they sent to our location recently are any indication, they were all from Eastern Europe.

I am a CPA with a Masters in Taxation and am constantly ignored by the Big Four. It appears to me that they only want people who they can pay $25 per hour and bill out at $150 per hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

Hey Foon, I'd take the 25$ hr and cut my losses at this point...I am pulling every last connection I've got. I feel your pain though, Masters of Accounting, waiting on CPA exam results coming in March.

I take it you have no additional insight into the hiring practices/hr resume screening practices do you? It is so hard for me to stomach when I see un-intelligent, lazy people with low gpa's or lack of experience get hired, yet when I apply for the same position, I don't even get a phonecall.

Life's tough, I know. Nothing is fair.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

no name in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

95 months ago

Former big 4 here. Why with your experience would you want to work at a accounting firm. There are probabaly better opprtunities out there in industry. The big 4 hires out of college knowing there will be turn over. In fact, they want there turn over. This lowers the long term costs of staff.

On the job, there are long hours because they understaff egagements and work the staff in OT because there is no financial cost to the partnership. This is how they make the jobs profitable. Remeber the partners are looking out their own economics.

Rregarding hiring,regional offices target certain schools. Those tend to be the elite and institution that partners have attended if below tier 1. Also consider the regional firms, they may have better opportunties. The big 4 have lots of overhead to cover. fancy offices, bloated partner costs etc.

There are companies out there that hire people with your background. Be flexible and consider other career opportunities. In the end you may be happier.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in Descanso, California

95 months ago

hey just wondering, are you interested in doing anything else? I work with finance teams all the time, and they can't find enough people--the market is tight. There is a world of opportunity out there; I'm not sure why you want to pigeon hole yourself in with the big 4.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

Hey Nicole, I really hate industry and the only thing I've wanted to do is work in International Tax/ strategic planning of business transactions. I've had so many offers for industry jobs, but I am stuck on the fact that everything I want to do demands "public accounting experience- preferably big 4". As I'm still early enough in my career and have no children, I can do the big 4 thing. I just don't want another industry 'analyst' job of any sort.
I very graciously thank you and Philly for your advice and help...SOX has also made it even harder to join an internal audit team...they all demand 'big 4'. So, here I sit, all my fancy degrees on the wall (actually in a box, I'm out of my lease, living with friends and for the past 2 weeks my ex), gorgeous experience, phenomenal references and I can't seem to crack a job with even a large regional firm. I did get an offer from a smaller firm, unfortunately the salary was worse in DC than it was working at the $4B/year n-f-p where I work. I asked where the associates lived and they told me 'oh, 3 or 4 get together and rent a place'. OK, that's uncool.

Anyway, I am just worn out over the whole thing. Industry is boring.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ex-AA, and ex-KPMG in Houston, Texas

95 months ago

I worked for AA for about 3 and 1/2 years till they tanked with the Enron deal. I am much older. I specialize in compensation and benefits. Getting into AA just worked out for some reason. It was very interesting. I had made connections with auditors while working at Chase. The Partners at AA were all looking out for themselves up till the very end. All we heard was the partners this, the partners that... My group, Human Capital moved over to Ernst and Young. I didn't think it would last because the EY guys seemed to be more consultants than the folks from AA and they were more acccountants at heart. After all, mostly at AA, they were brought in and raised their own. I then went on to KPMG and worked in the Comp and Benefits practice on the tax side. The partner I had was great. He was an ERISA attorney. He was the best boss I have ever had. I still stay in touch. As a result of the tax shelter garbage, in addition for KPMG having to pay huge fines to the IRS, the service told KPMG to shut down their Comp and Benefits practice or the whole organization would go. So, there we went. And, now, here I am.... so specialized, I feel boxed in. I went to Baker Hughes, thought I was getting hired and went back for a second interview with the global director only to be told by their recruiter that the director said I was a bad communicator. And, then, Baker has decided to freeze all hiring for 6 months.

I liked the big accounting firms. All of the over-achievers were fun to work around. The people at AA looked like models. I didn't see an overweight person in the bunch.

Thanks to you all for giving me the chance to vent. I needed this in a big way. Good luck and hang in there. Don't give up, if you want to work for a big 4, go there and keep after them. Go to their office and drop off your resume. Make yourself very visible. Stand with a sign outside their office, that might get their attention. Be creative. They like that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

Thanks, ex :) I think you hit the nail on the head with your earlier comment about working with a group of overachievers. I am on the verge of depression because I really REALLY miss working with top 5% people. I am type A, I love to overachieve, and why go the extra mile when you can go an extra 10 with little or no incremental cost? It's the boredom that's getting to me.

I am just going to start calling the 1 recruiter whose number I have. I am going to call him frequently. I have no other alternatives. Everyone I know is making phonecalls for me, but now they're getting the bull line of "we don't hire tax positions during busy season"! BULL!!!!! Why are you posting them online then, eh? to quote my baby sister <rolls eyes>.

I am going to fight this. Industry bites.

You mentioned ERISA stuff..we had a firm come do some work at my company, they're called Hewitt.

Off to keep applying online until I break their system. What else is an excellent quality candidate to do??

Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate anything SO much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

I so understand your desire to work with that certain group of individuals. These folks are creative, and I have discovered many other alumni from the big 4 in brokerage firms and elsewhere. The bond you have from having been there is a strong one. Don't give up. I'm feeling a little sorry for myself at the moment (it's time for me to get over it I know). I ultimately went to work for a small third party administrator in Houston and the turnover has been 98% in less than one year. The new owner hires folks, fires them and then re-hires them back. It's a little bizarre to say the least.

I do have a friend at Hewitt that was a Sr. Mgr with KPMG and had been with Deloitte here in Houston. If this particular post is for a Comp and Benefits position, it's been out here for awhile. At least, for the position in the Houston office. I've not applied for it on purpose. While it's wonderful, it has its downside. Targeting clients in the Houston market has become especially difficult with all that's happened here. And, now, with KPMG being on probation... only makes matters worse for everybody.

I still say to you, if it's where you want to be, keep on pushing, you'll get there and keep your chin up. Good luck to you. I wish you the best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

PJ

95 months ago

Andy Marie said: Hey All- I am looking for a little bit of help. I think it is virtually impossible to get an entry level job at Deloitte in either Tax or Auditing. Now I know the WSJ has a daily "informative" article on how SOX has created all this work for us accountants and CNN MONEY has just released the starting salaries ("on average") for the class of 2007--I think accounting starting salary was $47k or so. I don't think any of this is true--are all these jobs in Fargo, Billings or Mexico?
I have applied online for 4 months now- no bites. I called HR and attempted to find someone to speak with but after a few emails I was told the Taleo system was "so slick" it would send my application to the appropriate recruiter.
My story: I have wanted to work at Deloitte since I was 12--that was almost 15 years ago. I went to college, earned top marks and graduated with high honors, worked M&amp;A for my dad for 1 year, went to grad school (top tier Master of Accounting program), earned top marks again..yet I can't seem to get them interested in ANYTHING I do. Did I mention I also studied abroad, have 3 language fluency and hold a certificate in international negotiations? I work in industry--health insurance/financial services (as an analyst, been promoted and have served as a project manager) and want to get out before it's too late. I have a very well prepared resume, gorgeous cover-letter, spotless references (from 2 VPs of large regional consulting firms), 3 years experience and have taken 2 sections of the cpa exam, which I do anticipate having passed (find out in March)
I am looking in the McLean/DC area- you'd think they'd need another associate. I thought it would be much easier to do--I am pretty heavily networked. After not hearing back within 2 days, I decided to teach my 14 year old adopted blind dog new tricks while I wait. So far, he can roll over, play dead and shake.
Do ANY of you have any contacts, advice or any anything?? I am most gracio

PJ

95 months ago

WOT... I tried applying to D&T on many occassions... and I never got through.... and the humiliating part of this is I temped for them a few years ago... I was told I was doing a good job.. but they hired some permanently.....I would elaborate but its against posting policies... if you know what I mean.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

no name in Clifton Heights, Pennsylvania

95 months ago

Regarding the Benefits & Comp areas at Big 4. The big benefits firms are Towers Perrin, Mercer & Hewitt also Watson Wyatt.

How can there be independence if they are consultants also? Look at Pwc they had to sell the consulting division to IBM.
The government can not allow another enron where thousand lose all.

Just because a job is posted does not mean they are hiring. The HR department may be collecting resumes. Also age bias is a factor. Someone young and unseasoned is easy to push and pay less. The career at big 4 is short for most.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

Big Accounting Firms are a different animal alltogether than the other mentioned. I have friends with these other groups, and the way they work is completely different from business in the Big 4. There are positions where people do not remain in them for long. Those firms like to train their own.

In the Houston market, I think the people that are a fit specifically for the Comp and Benefits jobs...everybody knows everybody else, and there are only a small handfull. And, in the Accounting firms, they want that specific background for Manager of Comp and Benefits. As for the independence issues, the accouting firms have procedures in place to alleviate any potential problems.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NA in New York, New York

95 months ago

THey like to hire people right out of college and pay them very little. There is high turnover at Deloitte. I work here and it sucks. If you want more than what they do, its impossible to learn. Unless your an accountant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

That's sad to hear. I can only speak from having experience with AA and KPMG and I was specialized and didn't go in directly out of college. We did have some excellent tools for training purposes. I do miss that.

I do have a friend with Deloitte now, and this person is telling me of working very long hours, and not being appreciated and having very litte staff to help out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

Hey 'all my exes live in Texas' (sorry, had to lighten it up a little)..I thank you for feeling my pain and completely understand yours! It is so hard for me to believe, yet I know from my friends, big firms abuse their people and complain about not being able to hire someone trainable to do the job. I think it all comes down to greed--that and a high school clique. You and I are a lot alike, you understand exactly what I am looking for- a learning environment, constant challenge, a team that becomes your best friend, all those things.
I don't know how else to change my strategy but I realize I need to modify it in some way. Things WILL change, as an accountant it's hard to stay positive and be a little ray of sunshine but I'll do it. Somebody in HR will see my resume, it's inevitable. I learned all about the resume filters that are used and tailored my resume to avoid 'auto-non-consideration' items.

Off for breakfast. I wish I could help you in some way, other than a few folks at Hewitt, I don't know many in Comp&Benefits.

I have a framed quote on my wall, "Everything comes to him who hustles while he waits" (Thomas Edison)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

That was great!! We'll hang in there together.

Have a great weekend, and post when you can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

Alright ex..we're in this together! Nice to know I'm not the only one up for a challenge!

We have more in common than you think, I'm a bit Tex too- daddy's a rancher in hill country. It's a far cry from the big city oil rigs of Houston, but us cattle barons do provide the nation with it's excellent black angus steaks and we do drive the commodities markets!

I am drafting a few cover letters/why you should hire me documents this weekend, I re-discovered a frim I once visited in DC, not big 4 but WAY WAY better. Somehow, big 4 is too big, almost like when you have a business and you have control of it until you take it public.

If I can get hired there, I'll be working at a large, "private" feeling firm with excellent people, many of which are ex's like you.

As for AA--I attribute their fall to when they took their doors off the logo. It always felt like those doors were their "trusted advisor" visual representation. With the doors gone, greed set in.

Greed, my friend, lives are shattered over greed.

Now, to find me a firm even better than the 4...have a great weekend!

brian in Nyack, New York

95 months ago

Andy Marie, I work for Deloitte in New York. If you send your resume to me I will pass it along to our HR department (with a note that you are looking for work in McLean/DC). My email is bmurrell@deloitte.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

Way to go!!!!

Yahhhhh for Andy Marie.

You're good, bmurrell.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

Hey Brian- thanks again, I SO appreciate your passing my information along. Every little bit helps!

Ahh, Tex, let's see what happens! I still have a few more edits to my 'cover' for the other firm, but am otherwise content and my limited progress over the weekend. It was an incredibly busy one and I'm now left to the unglamorous--laundry.

Hope you all have had a fun weekend and experienced some success at getting to that coveted job.

I really hope something starts to change for the better.

95 months ago

I agree. I have my fingers crossed for you. Lots of luck.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

It's been great chatting back with you here. My email is katbrock04@yahoo.com if you want to email directly.

recrooter in Jersey City, New Jersey

95 months ago

Hi,

I saw your message and was impressed by your determination, ability to write more than two consecutive grammatically correct sentences, and your sense of humor, so I thought I would respond.

I am a Recruiting Manager for a Big 4 firm. If you really want to go that route, try to get into a second tier firm and put about two years in. If that fails, try a regional firm, the larger, the better. Once you have that experience under your belt and have passed the remainder of the CPA exam, you should have no problem, assuming you can present yourself well.

It may not be the reply you wanted to hear, but I hope it helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

Hey Recrooter! It does help a bit, but now I'm puzzled. I seem to be getting mixed messages from HR. I have called a few offices to chat with anyone I can get a hold of and I hear the opposite--unless I'm senior manager equivalent specialized in 1 technical arena, my only other hope to get in would be straight out of school. I'm more than willing to pay my dues at any firm as a Tax Associate, in fact, I'm even open to working Audit if that will get me in the door with the understanding that in the foreseeable future, I can transition to tax. I figure while I'm still reasonably fresh out of school, well, there's no time like the present!

I've chatted with a lot of interesting people here and I do appreciate any advice, thoughts, etc. It's the one thing keeping me from going absolutely nuts, that and the neighbor's poor dog I take running everyday. Mine's too old to do much else than sleep and his being blind only complicates the running outside part.
Oh, on the dog update, he has learned a new trick! He can sniff out and find a stuffed bunny rabbit inside the house.

Yes, I love to write, I'd really love to go in a direction where I could write Tax interpretations for clients. That would be FUN!

As soon as I hear back from my exam results, I will schedule the next 2 sections.

Thanks again to each and every one of you. It just has to happen--at least for Lacy the dog's sake, she's lost too much weight keeping up the running!

:) andy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

This has been one of the funnier chats I have been involved in. I got a good laugh when I opened up these last two posts.

Thanks for the fun.

Andy, you have a good sense of humor.

Got to run, my cat just went swimmin.

95 months ago

Day number 116. 116 whole days, almost 1/3 of an entire year and I still can't crack this egg?! This is purely unbelievable. Now I know 116 days isn't that long a time, but you have to remember, I am essentially homeless. I got out of my lease awhile back. After all, WSJ keeps talking about these tens of thousands of jobs created by SOX...I thought I'd be good to go.

Thought wrong.

So, 116 days later, 6 pounds thinner and significantly more frazzled, I am most thankful for the following things:
* My Timewarner cable high-speed internet. Now I know we all hate TimeWarner, but I am thankful that my connecition hasn't failed me once in all this time. My email enabled phone is a close second.
* My $12 rice cooker. Carbs are the answer! There are thousands of ways to cook rice and there are all kinds of rice available. My personal favorite: the $.79 target brand brown rice.
* Orthotics. Despite the stress of year-end, theoretical homelessness/living out of boxes, running shoes that wear out too quickly and everything else going on in my life, I must say...blessed are the orthotics, they will protect your feet. My treadmill has come in a close second.
* Family and friends. Who else will take in your stuff, put a roof over your head, comfort you when your sad, support your dreams blindly and allow you to use their power for your treadmill, hair dryer, straightening iron, iron, and closet space without batting an eye. Same for taking in my old dog and my 80 gallon fish tank.
* my indeed.com friends and acquantainces! Even the non-inspirational, less than helpful comments still make me feel like I'm not the only person in the world with an opinion about big firms. Although my opinion differs and I would love nothing more than to work for Deloitte, every posting gets me closer. For that, I am eternally gracious!
* bad lighting, sarcasm and a mirror. Thank God for humor!!!

Jeremy in Grapeland, Texas

94 months ago

I recently ran a search on Google concering a potential hiring freeze that Baker Hughes instigated. I have been all but officially hired with Hughes Christensen, a Baker Hughes Company and the hiring manager is telling me that they have put it no hold. I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about this.

94 months ago

Hey Jeremy-I haven't heard a word about this yet. I hope you are still employed and haven't put in a 2 weeks yet.

All, I think I made a big mistake but I'm trying to work it in my favor. I got a call from Big 4 for a position (not exactly something I had in mind, btw) but after talking to the recruiter, I don't think the salary was appropriate given my background, and especially in DC. I wouldn't be able to live anywhere safe and I really don't think having a roommate should be a requirement to landing a job. Seriously.

Anyway, I told her I was still interested..but that I woudlnt' come up Tuesday for the big interview (they had a group to be interviewed then).

My thoughts are that I can work this to my advantage: Let them interview the rest, then I'll go on antoher day and they can interveiw me in person. I know it's a gamble, they might pick someone else, but at this point, I'm going to have to take it, right? If they make me an offer, I can ALWAYS ask for more. It's just a few thousand ($4k to be specific), I can't believe they'd lose someone with 3 years actual design experience in what they want to do--all over $4k!

Arrrgh! What are y'alls thoughts?

somebody somewhere in Houston, Texas

94 months ago

The same thing happened to me with Baker...thought I was hired, then was told about the freeze from somebody internal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mr. Manager in East Setauket, New York

94 months ago

Hi Everyone,

With regards to finding a job in the Big 4, I think that if you have great experience already and your goal isn't to make partner/director, then the Big 4 isn't for you. Yes you will be exposed to a lot, but you won't go into detail unless you specialize in a certain area. I've been at Deloitte for almost 4 year and I have to say that it is very rough. I've seen nearly 100% turnover every 2 years.

My thoughts are, why work harder for less money unless you need it on your resume and experience. Get a few years under your belt and leave.

brac7206 in New Caney, Texas

94 months ago

Odd. Same thing happened to me with Baker TODAY. After the interview, testing, and consistent emails assuring me it was in the hands of the HR department for a higher pay rate approval, I was informed this morning that a "hiring freeze" went into effect this past Friday (3/16/07). Supposedly it should last "a month or two at the most". I googled it as well and found these similar comments. I have to say I was rather disappointed.

nojob in Houston, Texas

94 months ago

I heard that Baker had the hiring freeze a month ago. Not sure if it's true or not. It is disappointing.

94 months ago

Hey Tex friends! I wish I could offer more insight/help, perhaps we can all commiserate together? At least we're not alone. Keep us posted on the Baker freeze. This is a sticky time to find work apparently.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Beth

94 months ago

Basically, for the Washington,DC, metropolitan area, they want someone who can do government consulting.
That means government contracts. You are in the wrong market. The deep pocket industry here for consulting is the government, particularly Defense. For that, you need a top-secret or Crypto clearance, and preferably recently retired CIA or military with at least the rank of colonel. That's what they do. I don't know about Deloitte, but that is what the big consulting firms do here. You are overqualified. You scare these people. Look at their practice areas and clients to see if you fit into any of them. You won't. Wrong mar

Andy Marie said: hey Philly- thanks. I was actually recruited Big4..went to very top tier school too. I got sucked into industry because I was offered the killer opportunity: I was offered 4 positions, I got to pick the one I wanted and then I got to write my own job description. I learned a TON but at the end of the day, I'm bored. I don't have exposure to what I want and the roles I would like to hold later on in industry all DEMAND big 4. You enter industry at a higher level too. I will never, realistically (luck excluded) be able to do what I want without the experience and I genuinely WANT to work with a big firm. SOX has added additional levels of difficlulty- most large companies won't hire someone in Finance to run a division/manage financial statement stuff without Big 4 because they need to comply with red tape and I REALLY REALLY HATE INDUSTRY. ALL INDUSTRY. My friends that went big 4 hated it, and all I did was wish I was in their shoes. Sadly, associates don't have enough clout to help a sister out. So, here I sit, frustrated beyond belief, waiting for my exam scores and wishing I were doing something else. If I were an HR person or even a partner, it would be smart for me to want to hire someone who lives and breathes to be a part of my firm, rather than someone who just wants to use it for a yea

Beth

94 months ago

Try Reznick. It's got a lot of government business in accounting and it's hiring like crazy. It's in Bethesda, MD. You can live in Silver Spring if you want safe and cheap. There are secure buildings there for older, retired people that are high rises and not so expensive. Best bet for cracking the DC market: Join the military or work for the CIA. Then you can work for the lucrative "Homeland Security" market where you can work for the folks who "f****d over the victims of Hurricane Katrina, FEMA. That's DC in a nutshell.

94 months ago

it is true about Baker. They are having a hiring freeze until at least april first.

94 months ago

It's actually been going on since the first of March and they are going to re-evaluate things at the start of the second quarter (April 1st)

Peter in Los Angeles, California

94 months ago

Any one knows contact details of any HR Recruiters for IT Consulting Services at Deloitte USA?

Please get back.

Thanks.

W in Sacramento, California

94 months ago

Anna Marie,

Sounds like you're determined to do this. Any special reason you want to work for Deloitte? I ask because I got an interview (today - yikes!) with them through a company called AgyreeYa Solutions (although I would be employeed by the latter, it seems like a good way for someone to get their foot in the door, network and make connections). That being said, I'm not an accountant. I'm more of an IT analyst with general exposure to accounting principals and technologies.

Deloitte has it's hands in all sorts of IT projects that relate to accounting systems (e.g., ERP Consulting). If you have experience with software development (for you it would probably be something like having been a Business Analyst), you might be able to land that type of a job with them. Companies are competing for this type of individual, especially those with accounting experience. If you don't, I'd say go get some exposure to that.

Your writing, enthusiasm and outgoing personality would make you a good candidate to be a Business Analyst or Consultant, which are jobs where you typically deal with the clients instead of the numbers. Accountants (excuse the generalization) aren't usually good at that. The clients in this industry, however, ARE accountants, and consulting firms like Deloitte need people who can speak the language.

At 28, I am right there in the same boat with you in age and still deciding what kind of career I want (although you seem set on one at Deloitte). Think about consulting or other business end type jobs, you might find that you like doing this better. Several of our consultants with my current company are former accountants and said they wouldn't go back.

Just a thought...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

Hey W--Thanks for your kind words..I'm keeping my fingers crossed, I have something very very big happening :-) and I just can't jinx it!! I am the accountant's accountant, but I have always seen myself as more of the CFO. I want to be the #2 man, err woman. I am way too social to crunch numbers all day, but I'm glad I've had the experience. I think I may have found the perfect place for this and it's NOT industry. I did full product life cycle development of a multi-release enterprise planning system. 2 years, 5 releases. I don't particularly love one thing: the hundreds of thousands of iterations of silly documentation and dealing with passive aggressive business owners who know what they want but won't tell you. I'd rather not be a consultant, so many companies are trying to control expenses and are hiring to avoid consultants. I also am an addict runner, food lover and mom to a very old dog. While I love to travel, I don't want to be on the plane 4 days a week.

I love accounting, it's the financial language of a company, and it's absolutely critical that one understand the magnitude of proper recording of transactions and how they can change a bottom line rather materially.

I like your wit and wish you luck with this new company. I'm going to post my email for any that would like to email me offline, I am curious how the job search is going for y'all.

andymarieACC@gmail.com

W in Roseville, California

94 months ago

Just FYI, the interview with Deloitte went really really well, and they think I will be a good fit (crossing my fingers!). I hear next week.

Good to hear you have the background and have tried the other road. The experience will serve you well! I don't much care for versioning, iterating, etc., but you'll always be stuck with that. And I understand the travel thing too, except from the opposite perspective, I have wander-lust that keeps me moving.

Also, I like being the #1 guy, CEO, COO or CTO, so who knows, maybe we'll cross paths in the board room. I also understand the heart of a company is accountability and financials (done a few COA related projects) and understand just how important you financial types are.

Good Luck to you, Andy Marie (sorry I got your name wrong the first time around) I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Regards,
W

94 months ago

Hey all...esp W. I went in to the firm for my final final interview (#2 office visit) and I thought it went super well. My hiring manager saw me before and after the partner interview and I was ready for them to make an offer. He walked me to the elevator and said he had to go break some bad news to a manager about their budget and told me it was good in life (we had an earlier conversation about this) to know that one can be flexible and create opportunities for him/herself and that i should always have options. What is that supposed to mean? I drove 5 hours home and thought about it in total silence. He didn't even tell me if they'd call me back, he raced me to the elevator.

So, I can assume it isn't going to work, they had me come so they could make the offer to another person-just jumping through the hoop of intervieiwing an industry person.

I am very upset. I thought this firm was a perfect fit for me, I got along very well with those with whom I spoke.

This kills me. PLEASE SOMEONE, SOMEONE OUT THERE -I HATE INDUSTRY, I don't ever EVER want to be back in industry. I'm barely out of school, I've now been shafted what looks like twice big the big 4, but it's ALL I want to do. I know you guys don't like to hire people with work experience, but my work experience isn't in tax or audit, I'm just like a kid straight from school with knowledge of general ledger stuff.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO! I shouldn't rule an offer out, but one would thing I wouldn't have face time with a partner if it's going to be not-an-offer.

And as for the exam, I got my score back and passed what I took!!!! I just scheduled the rest.

What can I possibly do?I know the hiring classes are coming in during the summer and I want to be a part of that. Please someone with any sort of idea on how to get in. I feel like I've exhausted my resources but REFUSE to give up.

Public accounting world, get ready for me-you have NO idea what you've been missing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

W in Sacramento, California

94 months ago

Good news... I got the job!

I remember that for my current job, I had the worst interview ever and I thought for sure I didn't stand a chance, but here I am... And I've also had some interviews that went swimmingly and never heard back.

Try to be patient, someone will recognize your talent. Best of luck!

W

94 months ago

Ok guys, I get this cryptic email yesterday:

"On behalf of 'X', I would like to let you know that we are unable to move forward with you in the Hiring process right now. However, we will have an update for you on your status as soon as she returns to the office early next week.
Have a great Weekend!"

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN--thanks but no thanks? and have a great weekend??????? Are we serious? We can't move forward right now.....help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carrie

94 months ago

Employers do not communicate with people they have decided not to hire. I think they want to keep you interested, because they are extending you the courtesy of informing you about the status of the hire. Your qualifications are too impressive for them to just dismiss you. If they were not ever going to hire you, they would just send you a letter in the mail saying you were not a good fit and that they will keep your resume on file for six months, the standard line.

I think you are too qualified for some of the jobs they are hiring for but not qualified enough for the other ones, by that, I mean, you are not straight out of school so you can be molded, but you have no specific Washington experience, if you are interviewing for the McLean or Washington offices. A Washington practice means interfacing with government. There are a million regulatory agencies involved in a Washington practice not involved in any other area, including New York. The accounting firms also support the large law firms in whatever regulatory or other practice they have.

This is a wild shot, but Deloitte's Washington office is located in the Thurman Arnold building at 555 12th Street. That building houses Arnold and Porter, Washington's premier law firm, so it's a good bet that they do work for A&P. I am a lawyer, not an accountant, but I would look at what A&P does, see if Deloitte supports some of that, and see where you fit in.

I think the accounting firms are a lot like the larger law firms here because a lot of the partners have law degrees from the same schools. There is some difference, however. The law firms are always looking for lateral hires from other areas and actively use headhunters. If you are unemployed in DC, no one wants to hire you. So get something else in DC and keep looking.

The change in government to a Democratic Congress means more investigations. Accounting firms should be gearing up for this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

Carrie, you are BRILLIANT, thank you..I will be doing some research today on A&P, I have heard of them. I think I am going to face an independence issue, I am pretty sure that my HR person is going to tell me on Monday that it is a problem. The firm I interviewed with is my companies auditor and the partner in charge is from the DC office. Although I wouldn't be on the audit team, I'm sure they need to ensure I doin't get anywhere near the audit. Surprisingly, my company is private-nfp, so we're not subject to SOX. I hope it's not an issue but I can see it as a sticking point for them. I passed the part of the cpa exam that I took, I slid the letter across the table to my *hopefully soon to be manager and he was impressed. That MUST work in my favor! A law firm is a good place for a CPA......thanks again!

W

94 months ago

That is a cryptic email! I'd be all like, "WTF?" It's not an outright rejection like, "Oh, sorry, you suck and we're not going to hire you." and it's certainly not an affirmation of faith, "We're having technical difficulties right now, but plese stand by and know that we're still interested." It seems to be somewhere in between.... Send an email to their HR, be all like, "WTF?"

Sorry, I'm from CA and we're all, like, surfer dudes out here (ya know, 'cause we all live near the beach, bRaH, and our minds have been, like, totally warped by all the sunshine) so you'll have to excuse my language and other idioms... But even an idiot can see: That's a dumb communique.

Regards,
W

94 months ago

Hey Dubya and friends. I got the job :) Salary is way lower than i expected, so I'm frantically trying to find housing. To not take this would be a shot in the head.

Now the deal is: WHOA how scary are all these forms on your 'background'. makes the average girl feel like a criminal. I am not applying for a CIA job, jeez!!!! So scary!

Have you heard yet, Cali? I was in Newport Beach in december and just love it there, best friend rents on Balboa. It's the side of CA I love..very little on the plastic female side, large on just really nice people!

:)

KPMG or bust! in Baltimore, Maryland

93 months ago

Andy Marie in Raleigh, North Carolina said: Hey Dubya and friends. I got the job :) Salary is way lower than i expected, so I'm frantically trying to find housing. To not take this would be a shot in the head.

Now the deal is: WHOA how scary are all these forms on your 'background'. makes the average girl feel like a criminal. I am not applying for a CIA job, jeez!!!! So scary!

Have you heard yet, Cali? I was in Newport Beach in december and just love it there, best friend rents on Balboa. It's the side of CA I love..very little on the plastic female side, large on just really nice people!

:)

congrats on the job Andy. I read your entire thread and your story sounds exactly like mine except i havent gotten the job and i'm not looking for an accounting j0b. I have government contracting experience (7 years) and KPMG has always been a goal for me. if am not mistaken you were applying for the washington dc region, correct? got any contacts in recruiting? sad to say, but i actually had to go to the dc office and get someone direct email to send my resume too. still waiting to hear back. any thought?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

93 months ago

Ok, looks like my last post didn't post. Baltimore, email me directly, andymarieacc@gmail.com. Let's see if I can't turn up something as soon as I get "orientated".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.