How to get a job at Department of Veterans Affairs.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (21)

Host

Do you work at Department of Veterans Affairs? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

jcardenasw @aol.com in Weslaco, Texas

19 months ago

I'm looking for a full time job as a LVN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

maypansy49@yahoo.com in Floyd, Virginia

15 months ago

looking for rn full or part-time position

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

chunndeborah@gmail.com in Omaha, Nebraska

14 months ago

I live in Omaha, Nebraska and I have been trying to a job with the Veteran's Administration since late spring and to know avail have I had any luck. I do have a blemish on my license do you think that could be causing them not to respond back to me/ Please advise I am trying to get out of LTC setting as that is how my license got a blemish in the first place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

david in Manchester, New Hampshire

14 months ago

I work here in Manchester, NH. Relocated here from CA. It's easiest to get in here if you are a vet yourself. Most people who work here are former military and you get bonus points during the application process. Also, the hiring process takes time, so remember to be patient!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

k.askew97@gmail.com in Bronx, New York

13 months ago

What do I need to do to get a job as a CNA/PCT at the VA located in the Bronx?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Blue

13 months ago

I think it's easier if you are a vet (like the above poster mentioned), or if you're a military spouse. But of course that only helps, you should still be able to get in if you have a good background check.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dawn.Rismond in Saint Petersburg, Florida

12 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Department of Veterans Affairs? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Good question? I have applied several times for Nursing Asst/Transporter GS-4/5 position and have been unsuccessful in my guest for employment with the VA of Bay Pines it's like cracking some secret society!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

12 months ago

Dawn.Rismond in Saint Petersburg, Florida said: Good question? I have applied several times for Nursing Asst/Transporter GS-4/5 position and have been unsuccessful in my guest for employment with the VA of Bay Pines it's like cracking some secret society!

The competition for Federal jobs is tremendous and I agree, it takes more than ability.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dawn.Rismond in Saint Petersburg, Florida

12 months ago

Dawn.Rismond in Saint Petersburg, Florida said: Good question? I have applied several times for Nursing Asst/Transporter GS-4/5 position and have been unsuccessful in my guest for employment with the VA of Bay Pines it's like cracking some secret society!

Oh! Thank you I am so glad that I got a response and someone out their is listening and my cry was not in vein, I will keep trying to get in and crack the code so ta speak wink! wink!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

counseling graduate in Muskegon, Michigan

12 months ago

I too am wondering how to get into the VA. Not even sure where to start. I am a registered nurse 20+ years with rehab experience, certified in case management and brain injury and just recently graduated with my masters in counseling.
It seems all the job postings are for nursing, social work or psychologists. I thought I could be an asset to the VA with my background. Any suggestions how to apply for a counseling position?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

pamelaingram11@yahoo.com in Denver, Colorado

11 months ago

WHY IS IT SO HARD TO GET EMPLOYMENT FOR VA POSITIONS??I HEARD IT THRU A GRAPEVINE CONTACT REP POSTION WAS OPEN......BUT NOTHING SO FAR?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

coronarichard32@yahoo.com in Highland, California

10 months ago

I'm now retired from the state of California, now looking for a part time job, any how to suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Christine Weingart in Hayden, Idaho

5 months ago

How can I apply for a CNA position with the Dept. of Veteran's Affairs?

debileefuller@gmail.com in Sharon, Pennsylvania

5 months ago

I am planning to move to Harlingen Texas . I would love a job at the VA in HARLINGEN. I have attempted online application but having difficulty .I would love any advice on seeking employment .
Thank you,
Deborah Fuller RN

Insider in Burlington, North Carolina

5 months ago

debileefuller@gmail.com in Sharon, Pennsylvania said: I am planning to move to Harlingen Texas . I would love a job at the VA in HARLINGEN. I have attempted online application but having difficulty .I would love any advice on seeking employment .
Thank you,
Deborah Fuller RN

Deborah:

Harlingen is home of a VA Health Care Center (HCC). Think of it as a hospital without beds. VA has 170 plus traditional medical centers, sometimes as few as 2 per state. Over the past few decades, VA has expended by building clinics closer to the veterans. This started with the Community Based Outpatient Center where Primary Care was provided along with some Mental Health services. The HCCs is the VAs move to bring specialty care closer to the veterans as well. This means a Monday thru Friday job for RNs paying the same as hospital assignments requiring 27/7 coverage and the corresponding rotation.

In the past it was not uncommon at all for VA medical centers to count their RN vacancies by the dozens, meaning that we hired every qualified RN that walked thru the door. Today, we routinely receive 100+ applications for many RN vacancies. Veterans Preference comes into play, but only among the most highly qualified candidates. Those rules are slightly different for LPN/LVN/CNA (yes VA NAs must now be certified)

Polish your resume, Modify it if needed to highlight assignments directly related to the job to be filled. Carefully read every question on the questionnaire and answer again, truthfully but don't be modest. Check USAJobs every week minimally. Apply to every job you are interested in, don't assume that the HR Office keeps your application on file for future jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

myty32097 in Prescott, Arizona

2 months ago

This is what I've heard from a vet. They first will consider a vet. Then they consider vets that are disabled looking for work. Then they consider non-vets with disabilities and last non-vets without disabilities. I don't know if this is true but that would certainly explain it being so hard for a civilian to get a job there.

ronald a in New Orleans, Louisiana

2 months ago

debileefuller@gmail.com in Sharon, Pennsylvania said: I am planning to move to Harlingen Texas . I would love a job at the VA in HARLINGEN. I have attempted online application but having difficulty .I would love any advice on seeking employment .
Thank you,
Deborah Fuller RN

I'm also having trouble signing into the usajobs website. It tells me I have an account then says when I attempt to sign in that the email I provide doesn't give enough info. This has been happening for a month. Customer service sends an email but it's not getting resolved. Does anybody have another way to contact usajobs ? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

geoff975 in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

1 month ago

Looking for part time job at Veterans in Murfreesboro Tn. Have attempted on line application, but haning trouble getting on. Help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jqarlene@yahoo.com in Wilmington, North Carolina

19 days ago

I have applied for many positions at Veterans Affairs in Durham, NC for several years. I have a bachelor in Sociology and Social Work and a Masters in healthcare administration. I am currently in enrolled in a MSW program and will graduate in June. I pray I will have an opportunity once I complete the program. Does anyone have any suggestions?

joe ortiz in carolinanull

10 days ago

I have been applying for a position as a LPN Practicle Nurse for quit some time now, I have even gone to the post to apply in person but all i hear is apply by computer, But really i got no were, Till this day iv'e been applying and applying and still no response hey it cant be my GPA or my back ground Tell me what is happening..

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.