How to get a job at DICK'S Sporting Goods.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Host

Do you work at DICK'S Sporting Goods? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

itiswhatyoumakeit in Chicago, Illinois

67 months ago

Caitlin McGrath in Utica, New York said: I am from Utica NY and I am looking for my boyfriend to see how I can get him a job at Dicks Sporting Good at New Hartford Mall

You first have to apply on line. I would then go to the store you want to work at, think of it as an interview, and present yourself to the Store Manager. Keep in mind they are busy, and your first impression is key. Don't ask for the manager, I would walk around like a customer until you can figure out which one they are. Wait for them to approach you letting them think you are a customer. This will put the odds in your favor, because this will say a lot about what type of manager they are. As they approach you and ask if you need assistance, let them know you like their store and are interested in working there. Works every time!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (55) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Ann in Pompano Beach, Florida

46 months ago

I just interviewed and it was going okay and then they asked me to do a survey over the phone about stealing and dishonesty and about how honest you were and I've never stolen anything and I'm a very very honest person and I "failed " the test. So no more job opportunity for me :-( it really sucks because if it wasn't for this phone thing then I would've gotten the job.

I have good merchandising experience and customer service and a nice and friendly person and also a college education with diploma and two minors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Skybox in Staten Island, New York

36 months ago

First of all you must apply online chance are better if a store is about to open near your area because they interview everyone. First thing is that you meet the mangers who sit you down and begin to stare at you for couple seconds to understand the person you are just by looking at you. Once the call your name they sit you down try to get a feel of who you are, and why you want to work for the store, what experience you have. They also ask questions in regarding team work, using big vocabulary is always good. Once that's done they let you go and tell they will be in contact with or so they say. Personally from my experience going through there interview process I found the mangers to be nit picking certain people who fit the model of the store image(meaning someone who deosnt know anything about sports can easily get the job because of certain appealing factors of the person). I also found them to be unprofessional not sending an email to me for weeks while I was told within a week. If the store where open to public or I was given a number I would have called and ask what happen but no info was given to me because I feel they knew that they weren't going to pick me it's sad to say that is how business here works and hopefully one day this would be fix.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

h8it in Summerfield, North Carolina

35 months ago

Have worked for them for many years. It is absolutely terrible now compared to how it was say five years ago. You are now officially just a number. They speak about team work but they promote fear. Do it, which by the way it changes every five minutes, or we will gladly find someone who can. The recent law suit over work time - clocked in or out and working - has them treating all employees like crap. Even my tens years with the company is like I was there a day. How can I be loyal if they are not? How can I "have great face" without a great attitude. It is a chore to work for them now and not a pleasure. Use them for money because they are using you for money. Better yet start off some place else. Am always looking now for a better place. One thing they miss is that once I do quit I won't be back as a customer either. They have nothing I want that others can't provide. Imagine if all past employees never shopped at Dick's again. With the high rate of turn over at just my store alone they would lose a ton of business. Just saying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cycfit in Attleboro, Massachusetts

10 months ago

Host said: Do you work at DICK'S Sporting Goods? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Ya' Don't Bother to put yourself through it. They did a bait and switch move for the position I was applying for. Applied for the Bike tech position which I now realize I am greatly overqualified for but just wanted a few part time hours. For the 2nd interview the store manager informed me that the position is mostly covering the team sports department and that building and repairing bikes would only take about 4 hours per week. I told her the position should have been posted as the team sports/operations category with some bike assembly as a part of the duties. I wouldn't have applied, or put myself through that degrading process (1st interview was a joke) especially if I had known what the starting pay was."$8.25 per hour, no wonder they have terrible customer service". They should close these under performing stores (Taunton, MA) and the like.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

VENTI in Santa Rosa, California

2 months ago

Skybox in Staten Island, New York said: First of all you must apply online chance are better if a store is about to open near your area because they interview everyone. First thing is that you meet the mangers who sit you down and begin to stare at you for couple seconds to understand the person you are just by looking at you. Once the call your name they sit you down try to get a feel of who you are, and why you want to work for the store, what experience you have. They also ask questions in regarding team work, using big vocabulary is always good. Once that's done they let you go and tell they will be in contact with or so they say. Personally from my experience going through there interview process I found the mangers to be nit picking certain people who fit the model of the store image(meaning someone who deosnt know anything about sports can easily get the job because of certain appealing factors of the person). I also found them to be unprofessional not sending an email to me for weeks while I was told within a week. If the store where open to public or I was given a number I would have called and ask what happen but no info was given to me because I feel they knew that they weren't going to pick me it's sad to say that is how business here works and hopefully one day this would be fix.

Same thing happen to me, the first interviewer was good, we had a really good conversation. I have tons of experience, but being in petaluma ca. and black i did not get a second look. make me wonder, they have no color in there store.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

VENTI in Santa Rosa, California

2 months ago

looks like the store is another nba, they invite you in and then politely invite you out.

i really like there products,
but i will never shop there again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.