What's the company culture at Dick's Sporting Goods?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

Every business has its own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Dick's Sporting Goods?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Dick's Sporting Goods?

Reply - Report abuse

Jacob Newton in Plattsburgh, New York

74 months ago

Stressful, a huge amount of pressure on the management which in turn is taken out on the other employees. Unrealistic goals and when the goals are not met corporate complains to management and they in turn take out there frustration on the other employees. Not a pleasant place to work. I have only been there a week and am all ready looking for other employment. Plus if you work on the sales floor you have to buy your company shirt for $10. I work in the office so I didn't have to buy one. There is a great deal of incompetence and a few people that have to pick up the slack but that's normal any where you work in retail. The company is also cutting hours so there are few people working at once. Its like one person has to do the job of two to make up for the payroll cuts. It is very stressful work environment and you are given very little respect. All the upper level employees and management are completely miserable because they are over worked and under payed. In my opinion if you can avoid it don't work for this company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

thinkabout_it in Asheville, North Carolina

66 months ago

They base what kind of profit each store should see each day based on the same day one year prior. (Example: Today's profit is based on 10.26.08) They do not take into account any kind of financial hardship (current recession/unemployment rates). If the targeted profits are not met the store will get hours cut. Some individuals not in a management role will act like they are and slack off letting others in the department to pick up their slack while complaining nothing gets done. The employment process is also somewhat fickle at best. I applied for a front end position and was told by everyone in the store I would get it, even took and passed the phone test and then didn't hear a thing and was pushed aside when I tried to talk to management about it. I would avoid this retail store if seeking an employment opportunity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DKDY in Salem, Indiana

33 months ago

Worked for Dicks for 8 months. Corporate Greed runs the show. They like to hire young people at $7 to 8 an hour. Raises come once a year and they are about .20 cents on the hour. They expect you to multi task yet if there is a problem most of the time you do not have time to find a solution. You will only be hired on as part-time so no benefits. While I was there I went thru 3 managers. There is a High turn over rate, and while you don't have enough time to do your regular job, they are always sending tasks that needs to be done with deadlines. I would say that it was one of the worst jobs I have ever had.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rborges in Morgan Hill, California

30 months ago

DKDY in Salem, Indiana said: Worked for Dicks for 8 months. Corporate Greed runs the show. They like to hire young people at $7 to 8 an hour. Raises come once a year and they are about .20 cents on the hour. They expect you to multi task yet if there is a problem most of the time you do not have time to find a solution. You will only be hired on as part-time so no benefits. While I was there I went thru 3 managers. There is a High turn over rate, and while you don't have enough time to do your regular job, they are always sending tasks that needs to be done with deadlines. I would say that it was one of the worst jobs I have ever had.

Glad I got my rejection email for the new Salinas,Cal store.Does not sound like a great place to work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.