Dollar General News and Happenings.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 116)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

matatdollargeneral in spanish fort, Alabama

84 months ago

warehouse worker in Williamsburg, Missouri said: I work in the DC here. I have personally loaded the roll tainers. We are allowed to only fill it so high and when it goes to shipping to be put on truck, they add more to it. Most of the boxes are marked Fragile, but believe it ornot we have people who aren't careful of that. My team always tried to be careful, but since other people get it when we're done with it, we don't have full control. Try pulling something off the top of a full pallet and having it fall in your face. We get the stuff delivered from vendors broken and if it's packed good enough we don't know about it. That's how it can get sent on to you.

Maybe they do add to it but do they unload them just to reload them with lightbulbs under the bleach?????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

warehouse worker in Williamsburg, Missouri

84 months ago

matatdollargeneral in spanish fort, Alabama said: Maybe they do add to it but do they unload them just to reload them with lightbulbs under the bleach?????

No, what goes in the rolltainers first is the stuff that won't go down a conveyor, i.e. dog food, cat litter, odd shaped stuff. The light bulbs and bleach goes down the conveyor straight to shipping. So the rolltainers are there, then the other stuff comes down the belt and gets added to the RT. Obviously the bleach shouldn't go on top of the light bulbs, so there must be an idiot loading the truck. Like I said before, not everybody gives a d**n about their job. They are only there for a check. Those are the ones that are hard to catch, but they eventually get caught. The loaders are in a lane, sometimes more than one at a time, by themselves. The supervisors don't stand there and watch them. If you get stuff like that, you should tell your DC about it. Believe it or not, those labels on the product allow the DC to tell you exactly who pulled it from inventory, not who put it on the truck that way, though. So, you might get the wrong person in trouble, but maube you could narrow it down to who was loading the lane on that day. We have to log in and scan all of the labels, so it's in the system.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

dgsm in Norridgewock, Maine

84 months ago

warehouse worker in Williamsburg, Missouri said: No, what goes in the rolltainers first is the stuff that won't go down a conveyor, i.e. dog food, cat litter, odd shaped stuff. The light bulbs and bleach goes down the conveyor straight to shipping. So the rolltainers are there, then the other stuff comes down the belt and gets added to the RT. Obviously the bleach shouldn't go on top of the light bulbs, so there must be an idiot loading the truck. Like I said before, not everybody gives a d**n about their job. They are only there for a check. Those are the ones that are hard to catch, but they eventually get caught. The loaders are in a lane, sometimes more than one at a time, by themselves. The supervisors don't stand there and watch them. If you get stuff like that, you should tell your DC about it. Believe it or not, those labels on the product allow the DC to tell you exactly who pulled it from inventory, not who put it on the truck that way, though. So, you might get the wrong person in trouble, but maube you could narrow it down to who was loading the lane on that day. We have to log in and scan all of the labels, so it's in the system.

That is a crock of bull. Our D.M. told us not to call the Indianola DC because when we called and reported it, it got worse. I had to get not only my DM's approval, but also my Regional Manager's approval and oversight because the week after I called and complained, my whole truck was damaged. The RM himself came down and damaged out the truck (which was over $24,000 at one wack... talking about a 'disgrunteled DC worker' completely crashing a yearly bonus.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

dgsm in Norridgewock, Maine said: That is a crock of bull. Our D.M. told us not to call the Indianola DC because when we called and reported it, it got worse. I had to get not only my DM's approval, but also my Regional Manager's approval and oversight because the week after I called and complained, my whole truck was damaged. The RM himself came down and damaged out the truck (which was over $24,000 at one wack... talking about a 'disgrunteled DC worker' completely crashing a yearly bonus.

I don't know where you get off telling me it's a "crock of bull". Maybe you had a problem, but what I told you is policy. If a store complains about damaged merchandise, it is tracked to the person in the DC who was logged into that work assignment and we have to sign a report acknowledging that it was damaged, even though we might not have done it personally. The damage can happen anytime it leaves our hands and goes on the conveyor. Those papers we sign affect our yearly evaluations and bonuses as well. If you get too many, you can get fired. So, if I put a perfectly good piece of merchandise on the conveyor and someone in shipping breaks it, but loads it anyway. It will be me that gets in trouble. Loaders aren't logged in and scanning labels, the order fillers are. So I could lose my job due to someone elses negligence. Not very fair, but it's the reason we have safety teams who walk around and randomly check things. Sorry you had a problem, but at our DC we try very hard to get the merchandise to the store undamaged.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

no good dg in okc, Oklahoma

84 months ago

So while all of these safety teams are walking around looking at this situation is nobody noticing that the light bulbs and crackers are at the bottom of a rolltainer with a ton of bleach and other chemicals or canned foods on top of them? Get real folks it happens everyday.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dgsm in Norridgewock, Maine

84 months ago

warehouse worker in Williamsburg, Missouri said: I don't know where you get off telling me it's a "crock of bull". Maybe you had a problem, but what I told you is policy. If a store complains about damaged merchandise, it is tracked to the person in the DC who was logged into that work assignment and we have to sign a report acknowledging that it was damaged, even though we might not have done it personally. The damage can happen anytime it leaves our hands and goes on the conveyor. Those papers we sign affect our yearly evaluations and bonuses as well. If you get too many, you can get fired. So, if I put a perfectly good piece of merchandise on the conveyor and someone in shipping breaks it, but loads it anyway. It will be me that gets in trouble. Loaders aren't logged in and scanning labels, the order fillers are. So I could lose my job due to someone elses negligence. Not very fair, but it's the reason we have safety teams who walk around and randomly check things. Sorry you had a problem, but at our DC we try very hard to get the merchandise to the store undamaged.

Like I said, I'm going to need a set of chest-high waders to start coming to this website. The DC worker's don't care, if so, a REGIONAL MANAGER wouldn't have to come to a store and DAMAGE OUT A WHOLE TRUCK. If DC Worker's 'cared about the shipment', there would not be BLEACH ON TOP OF DOG FOOD ON TOP OF LIGHT BULBS. If they cared, there would not be CHEMICALS ON TOP OF FOOD ITEMS (Which is a violation of the law, and yes, the State Health Department has been at not only my store making their rounds, but other store's as well where they have not allowed a shipment because of chemicals being on top of food.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

dgsm in Norridgewock, Maine said: Like I said, I'm going to need a set of chest-high waders to start coming to this website. The DC worker's don't care, if so, a REGIONAL MANAGER wouldn't have to come to a store and DAMAGE OUT A WHOLE TRUCK. If DC Worker's 'cared about the shipment', there would not be BLEACH ON TOP OF DOG FOOD ON TOP OF LIGHT BULBS. If they cared, there would not be CHEMICALS ON TOP OF FOOD ITEMS (Which is a violation of the law, and yes, the State Health Department has been at not only my store making their rounds, but other store's as well where they have not allowed a shipment because of chemicals being on top of food.

I didn't say ALL DC workers cared, only some. I can only speak for myself and I put stuff on the conveyor, that's it. Just yesterday I reported another order filler who was banging stuff (intentionally) onto the line. That's all I can do is report, since I am not a supervisor, I can't fire anyone or write them up. As far as the mixed items, when I started in 2006, we had a list of items that couldn't be mixed together, i.e., dog food and rock salt, and shortly afterwards, our manager told us the FDA says they can be mixed. I'm not sure if this is true and if you have a suggestion on how to find out, I would appreciate it. I personally won't mix mine or my pets food with chemicals, so I would think there is a rule. I just don't know how or where to find it.
As for the remark about chest-deep waders, I thought that was out of hand. I didn't post something to be ridiculed. As an adult with an opinion, I assumed I could share mine without being attacked for it. This is supposed to be an open forum and rudeness doesn't engender decent conversation between people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

high springs in high springs, Florida

83 months ago

Step2it said: If your thinking of working for DG, then take a deep breath before you do... DG is one of the worst company's to work for if you are in retail. If any of you understands the word slave then you will understand the hard working employees at DG. I worked for DG for as a manager and all the managers and team members in my District were under paid and over worked. The company does not care about any thing but, clear the aisles, recover, recover, recover, get the stock out, and cut back on your hours and don't forget to recover. Besides all that the starting wage as a Manager is much less than as an Assistant at the local drug stores. Also you will not have to work 60 or 70 hours when you team members call out on you.

Began as a manager in largest store in district. My district manager left the company 2 months after I started. The company hired a real jerk out of Texas to take her place who had no experience and a chip on his shoulder. I trained in one store for two weeks and was sent to my store to help with a huge inventory problem but ended up staying. The warehouse in the rear of the store should have been empty but contained more than 4 tractor trailor loads of merchandise and more came weekly. I had 11 employees (3 full-time) and was allotted 170 hours a week to split between them. You do te math. I often was in the store alone overnight putting out stock that was from over 2 years ago. I cleaned constantly because the store was filthy and hadn't had a manager in over a year. Although I was making over $40,000 it was a nightmare. You would have thought my district manager would have done everything possible to help me since my store was never below 2 of 14 in the district and was number 1 when I left. He tried to make my time with the company a living hell - and when he got ignored he tried to nitpick me to death. He even had the nerve to tell me I was cleaning to much - "Dough Boy" - nickname, was and still is an idiot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

high springs in high springs, Florida

83 months ago

mark in Senatobia, Mississippi said: I have over 30 years experience as a retail manager. Every where i have been I have always turned stores around. I worked for DG for three months and made 35K per year. I made more than this in companies with only 3 or 4 stores AS AN ASSISTANT MANAGER! After 3 days of training my so called DM put me in the worst store possible, 4 SM's quit within the past year, after I took over the store the dm? transferred out the only good people I had and left me with 45 rollertainers, 15 u-boats, 2 thives, and nothing in any damm pear tree. After working over 80 hours a week I was fired for working after store hours, AFTER the dm? told me to do whatever it took, no matter how many hours I had to put in, that's why I got paid the BIG bucks. I know I was getting paid more than anyone else in the district and I was cutting into her bonuses. I am going to see a lawyer this afternoon. Anyone else been rail-roaded?

You aren't the only one. My DM told me the same lie. I had the largest store in the district that was without a manager for over a year. I worked 65+ hours a week and nobody gave a damn. The midget regional manager came up from Orlando and had the nerve to pop his gum an spit in my face as he talked to me about the "problems" in the #1 store in the district. I hate planograms and my stupid DM "Dough Boy" who told me to do them one way then lied when his boss came in. He drove away 5 managers in the top stores within 3 months of starting with the company. Hope he enjoyed his transfer so those idiots with the regional office in Orlando could keep an eye on him. Oh did I mention the new store manager was in an accident where she broke both legs and arms after hitting a guy on a motorcycle. She had barely come out of surgery and her position was already on line. Great going DG.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DG MANAGER in Delaware

83 months ago

WAREHOUSE WORKER: YOU GET PAID HOLIDAYS??????
AND TIME OFF !!!!!!!! NO WAY !
60 HOURS PLUS A WEKK IS ABOUT NORMAL FOR STORE MANAGERS. HOW ABOUT THE MILLIONAIRE SWEEPSTAKES. CUSTOMER GETS A MILLION AND WE GET 100 BUCKS FOR AN EMPLOYEE PARTY, IF THE WINNING CUSTOMER PURCHASED FROM OUR STORE. GEEEEZZZZZZ DOLLAR GENERAL SURE KNOWS HOW TO TAKE CARE OF US. A " 100 BUCKS " FOR A PARTY THATS 20 $ PER EMPLOYEE TO PARTY ON. OMG WE CAN ALL GO TO MICKEY D'S.
LLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLL
ANYBOBY KNOW ABOUT THIS LAWSUIT
Attorneys claims that all the complaints filed against Family Dollar, Dollar General, and Fred’s allege the companies forced managers to work from 60 to 80 hours of manual labor a week as their “primary duty” and that they spent as little as 10 percent of their actual time performing management duties, which results in “free labor” for the companies.

The lawsuit seeks to represent any employee of Dollar General, Family Dollar and Fred's who worked over 40 hours weekly and was not paid for overtime.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

DG MANAGER in Delaware

83 months ago

doggeneral in pleasanton, Kansas said: I just quit dog general.I have never been so disapointed in a company in my life. I was 3rd key. As a key holder we all perform the same duties excluding the mgr meetings. I can tell you this company does not respect anything other than the all mighty dollar! I was there a year. I kept telling myself it would get better it got worse! I worked 6 wks with 2 clerks. I was so tired but I thought they would respect that or say thank you. The mgr out on sick leave, the asst.mgr out maternity leave. The dm kept saying gonna send help. Just one example of overworked. I hung in there through that not really knowing what I was doing. Because you see you are trained on a need to basis.LOL. I was working toward that priceless vacation you are entised with. Well guess what I won't even get that. They scream follow policy, your a thief from the time you enter the door and the demand of 100% recovery, cleanliness, work in the back, the front, the office, answer pages from clerks, run run run, unenterrupted lunches my eye! I never never had a lunch in a year. The clerks no breaks. Its just horrible but people are so in need for a job they will let people like dog generals upper mgrment degrade them. Yes this is the worst place to try and seek a carrer. I really worked hard for them to no avail. Its really sad in America that big corporation are feeding off the little people. They should be ashamed of theirselves.

VERY WELL STATED, AND VERY TRUE !!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

DG MANAGER in Delaware said: WAREHOUSE WORKER: YOU GET PAID HOLIDAYS??????
60 HOURS PLUS A WEKK IS ABOUT NORMAL FOR STORE MANAGERS. HOW ABOUT THE MILLIONAIRE SWEEPSTAKES. CUSTOMER GETS A MILLION AND WE GET 100 BUCKS FOR AN EMPLOYEE PARTY, IF THE WINNING CUSTOMER PURCHASED FROM OUR STORE. GEEEEZZZZZZ DOLLAR GENERAL SURE KNOWS HOW TO TAKE CARE OF US. A " 100 BUCKS " FOR A PARTY THATS 20 $ PER EMPLOYEE TO PARTY ON. OMG WE CAN ALL GO TO MICKEY D'S.
Attorneys claims that all the complaints filed against Family Dollar, Dollar General, and Fred’s allege the companies forced managers to work from 60 to 80 hours of manual labor a week as their “primary duty” and that they spent as little as 10 percent of their actual time performing management duties, which results in “free labor” for the companies.

The lawsuit seeks to represent any employee of Dollar General, Family Dollar and Fred's who worked over 40 hours weekly and was not paid for overtime.

Yes I get paid holidays. We get Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Christmas Eve and Day and New Years Eve and day. We work the day before, of and after of the holiday, and we earn a choice of a paid day or a floating holiday to be used any time in the next year. Also after you have been there 6 months you get 20 hours of paid time off and after a year it is 88 hours of PTO. These can be used anytime you want in 1 hour increments. I work the weekend shift of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 5:30 am - 6:00 pm. So whether I work a holiday depends on what day it falls, but it's worth it. As for parties, we get a certificate and a cash prize for perfect attendance in each quarter and yearly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

DG MANAGER in Delaware

83 months ago

nan in Greer, South Carolina said: How about 2 conference calls on truck day and then two "managers meetings" two days in a row ..one to watch a film the rm and dm made on how to clean your store,and the next day we get to clean someone elses store..anyone out there see the logic in that,,,I have limited hours to get my store back to grand opening and they are pulling me out of mine to clean another one...I see no help coming my way.

SAME IN EVERY STATE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DG MANAGER in Delaware

83 months ago

nan in Greer, South Carolina said: we just had a job fair and they hired more managers...so what does that tell you? it tells me out with the old in with the new

BUT THEY HAVE TO PASS THE TEST..LOL.......MOST DON'T

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DG MANAGER in Delaware

83 months ago

confused in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Hi,Dave
Would you elaborate more the testing. I not sure i get the full meaning. I took their prove it test. I took it two months ago and I haven't heard a word yet. I have called the company but all I get is voice mail and no one calls back. I even called the Prove It to see if I could get a pass or fail answer from them. Prove it was helpful in given me any answer not the answer I wanted but atleast they were there. They told me I would have to contact DG for the answer. I haven't failed an assement yet. Anything further from you would help.
Reading everyones comments here maybe it is good they haven't called me. Maybe it is a company to work for. Thanks

OMG!!!! NOT THE PHILLY STORE !!!!!!!!!!!!! RUN..........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

DG MANAGER in Delaware

83 months ago

YOU FORGOT TO MENTION THIS HAS TO BE DONE, WHILE YOU ARE ALONE IN THE STORE. LLLLLOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLL
10 THINGS I COME UP WITH 21.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

nan in anywhere but DG

83 months ago

I just stepped down from manager to assistant, I still hate the company but have to have a job...As for my new store it is one of the model stores, still have to work my butt off but a little better

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Happy_Kat in Mt. Pleasant, Tennessee

82 months ago

The only way Dollar General is going to survive is if they radically change their attitude towards their employees. I have been with the company for five years (4 as a part time clerk, 1 as a 3rd key) and I have been accused of theft countless times, made to work overtime in another town, and to put up with verbal abuse from customers AND my supervisors. The manager we have now won't come back after she leaves even if one of us is sick. I actually passed out last year at work on my break and was told to handle the situation,and that she wasn't coming back because she had plans. We don't even bother to call her now because we know what she is going to say to us before she opens her mouth. She closes one night a week and I am stuck closing at least four sometimes five (which if I might add is against the sops). She has the poor AM so scared, she is afraid to make a decision and actually calls me up to the front to make them for her. I used to love my job, but now it takes all I have to get up in the mornings.The DM doesn't care about what goes on either. He simply says that "You need to recover, basket size is too low, and if you don't make eye contact you are stealing from the company." And yes I know the saying "if you don't like your job quit", but tempting as that may be, in this economy it is almost impossible to do. Especially with the projected unemployment rate in TN alone being close to 800,000. So, I will take a breath, close my mouth and face my fate in Dollar General hell.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lenay in Auburn, Alabama

82 months ago

Happy_Kat in Mt. Pleasant, Tennessee said: The only way Dollar General is going to survive is if they radically change their attitude towards their employees. I have been with the company for five years (4 as a part time clerk, 1 as a 3rd key) and I have been accused of theft countless times, made to work overtime in another town, and to put up with verbal abuse from customers AND my supervisors. The manager we have now won't come back after she leaves even if one of us is sick. I actually passed out last year at work on my break and was told to handle the situation,and that she wasn't coming back because she had plans. We don't even bother to call her now because we know what she is going to say to us before she opens her mouth. She closes one night a week and I am stuck closing at least four sometimes five (which if I might add is against the sops). She has the poor AM so scared, she is afraid to make a decision and actually calls me up to the front to make them for her. I used to love my job, but now it takes all I have to get up in the mornings.The DM doesn't care about what goes on either. He simply says that "You need to recover, basket size is too low, and if you don't make eye contact you are stealing from the company." And yes I know the saying "if you don't like your job quit", but tempting as that may be, in this economy it is almost impossible to do. Especially with the projected unemployment rate in TN alone being close to 800,000. So, I will take a breath, close my mouth and face my fate in Dollar General hell.

I'm so sorry you have to go through that, I really do sympathize and I worked in a TN store, too. Have you been hauled in and told your handwriting was being sent for analysis yet? If I knew then what I know now I could have sued the pants off of them for harassment. And oh my God, the recovery, recovery. Forget the fact that you are running the store on no or minimal staff as long as the truck is up and recovery is done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DG MANAGER in Delaware

82 months ago

lenay in Auburn, Alabama said: I'm so sorry you have to go through that, I really do sympathize and I worked in a TN store, too. Have you been hauled in and told your handwriting was being sent for analysis yet? If I knew then what I know now I could have sued the pants off of them for harassment. And oh my God, the recovery, recovery. Forget the fact that you are running the store on no or minimal staff as long as the truck is up and recovery is done.

The payroll hours against the sales and work involved, are at two opposite ends of the spectrum. To archive the end resolute's that the company is looking for, requires a manager to work more then 48 hours a week, completely due to the lack of payroll hours issued to the store.
The scheduling matrix is to be followed, but if followed to the letter, the store manager is over payroll a lot!
So, to cover this slot the manager must work, that shift also. I currently work 25 hours alone in the store to have enough payroll to cover truck-1 and 2 day and to have enough staff on for night recovery. Every time that kitchen timer goes off at the register, customers jump! Would be nice to have a more professional way to run a store ! You will never know if there is a better job in your area if you don't go out and try!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Happy_Kat in Mt. Pleasant, Tennessee

82 months ago

One of the women i work with has been there 8 yrs! But our SM told her that she wouldn't get her yearly raises anymore because she makes too much. She makes $8.40. Can they do this to her? I can't find it in the SOPs anywhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jasmine73 in Florida

82 months ago

Yes there actually is a cap on pay as hard as that is to believe.Once you reach the max you won't get any more raises . My Husband is a manager @ DG and was talking about that with his DM not too long ago.

SMC in Ohio in Athens, Ohio

77 months ago

lenay in Auburn, Alabama said: I suppose that's true to a degree, but I can hardly think that it was my fault that my store manager was framing me for his own stealing, going so far as to forge my signature on returns and turning me over to the head office who watched days of footage of me and had my handwriting samples analyzed only to find nothing at all.

Situations differ in every region, district, and store team. I am sincerely sorry that many of you have been victimized by such gross incompentence and abuse at the hands of superiors and fellow associates; however, this type of behavior is not universal. While I can certainly agree that many store processes seem to have been designed by trained circus animals rather than by executives with strong history in retail, here in Ohio I have had the privilege of working with a wonderful store team for the last three years, including the most intelligent, honest, and compassionate Store Manager that one could ever hope for. Soon I will be completing the store manager in training program. Though Dollar General's Store Management position does, perhaps, offer a modest salary by some comparative standards, $30,000 per year will exponentially elevate my standard of living in this impoverished Appalachian region. My District Manager, while he may occassionaly be somewhat rigid in his interpretation of the Model Store Standard, is at least an honest, highly ethical person who I believe treats all of the managers in his charge fairly. Reading your stories makes me feel sympathy for you all, but rather than apprehension at the thought of pursuing this career path with Dollar General, as some of you may wish to inspire, I feel both fortunate and optimistic. Improvements in any large corporation are slow, at times glacially. While waiting for changes at the broad corporate level, I can at least take heart that here at the local level, things are fine.

I'll get back to you in a few years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

sickofthedgcrap in anywhere, Rhode Island

76 months ago

DG MANAGER in Delaware said: WAREHOUSE WORKER: YOU GET PAID HOLIDAYS??????
Attorneys claims that all the complaints filed against Family Dollar, Dollar General, and Fred’s allege the companies forced managers to work from 60 to 80 hours of manual labor a week as their “primary duty� and that they spent as little as 10 percent of their actual time performing management duties, which results in “free labor� for the companies.

Does this include previous managers too

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ki85 in Mount Sterling, Illinois

76 months ago

I have been with Dollar General for 3yrs. I learned quick, moved up fast. I've been a 3rd key for 2 1/2yrs now. I'm working with my third manager and 2nd assistant manager. I was offered an assistant manager job at the end of my first year, but declined because I didn't need or want that many hours at the time. When my second manager left I was offered the manager position, there was a death in the family and again I declined. I have never had a problem with the company until this new manager came in. I am currently 7 months pregnant and my manager doesn't seem to understand that I can't take in truck alone anymore, that I no longer have the energy to close the store and then come in and open the next day. Our store hours are 8am-9pm. That means getting out of the store at 9:30pm and having to be at the store to open at 7:30am. I just can't do it. It's too stressfull in every way. Right now she has taken 5 vacation days in a row for a trip two states away and she took the assistant manager with her!!!! I am left with a 4th key with a week and a half of decent training under her belt, whom I'm not sure even passed the drug test yet. She has her opening and me closing most of the five days in a row because I didn't trust this woman to do the nightly deposit. With good reason because she has only done it twice!! With help, and got it wrong! My manager is even taking off one extra day to "relax". That morning I have to come in and open the store with the third key to take in truck and work a long shift. At least she didn't put me by myself with truck. (Our trucks are massive! 1700 to 2000 pcs-and a tiny stock room, so there alot of shifting around to get it all in and all the paper has to be thrown because we have a whole 3 U-boats available because of overstock) That will make 6 straight days for me. I am just coming off of working eight days straight and one day off. All this is going on while I'm 7months pregnant!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kshartline in Chatsworth, Georgia

76 months ago

Yes, I have. My story is to long to type on her because it exceeds the characters allowed. Please email me at kshartline@inbox.com and I will explain.
Thanks a,
Kathy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Royce3371 in Grayville, Illinois

75 months ago

I see a lot of people complaining about being paid minimum wage at DG, Yes, it's true DG does paying min. wage in a lot of areas. Did you not ask what you would be getting paid when you were hired? Were you not informed you would be working weekends and holidays?I feel for you I really do, but you may need to start looking for a different, better paying job. Not trying to be a wise acre but obviously you are not happy. So, don't quit just yet, start looking while you continue to work. Trust me, it's much easier to find a job when you already have one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Royce3371 in Grayville, Illinois

75 months ago

confused in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Hi,Dave
Would you elaborate more the testing. I not sure i get the full meaning. I took their prove it test. I took it two months ago and I haven't heard a word yet. I have called the company but all I get is voice mail and no one calls back. I even called the Prove It to see if I could get a pass or fail answer from them. Prove it was helpful in given me any answer not the answer I wanted but atleast they were there. They told me I would have to contact DG for the answer. I haven't failed an assement yet. Anything further from you would help.

If you didn't hear back, you failed. The test is either pass or fail and if you hear back you passed, if not you failed

jared driskill in Richmond, Virginia

75 months ago

I worked for DG for nine months as a third key and I have say that I have never seen a company that was so paranoid about employee theft before in my life.(Never mind the fact that customers were shoplifting from my store like crazy because payroll hours were cut to bone, therefore I was chained to the register for entire shifts and there were no security cameras except for the two pointed at the cash registers.)

I also thought their return policy was too liberal. I guess it had to be because the merchandise is nothing but cheap junk!

The BSR system never worked. For example: it kept sending us 4 cases of Clover Valley imitation ritz crackers a week, which never sold by the way, without fail no matter what you did with the stock counts. Our DM would flip out over our store's 'overstock' problem and threatened to fire the entire staff on a weekly basis over it.

I ended up quitting because, as a third key, I found out that the new part time stock person they had just hired was making a dollar more an hour than I was. I left my keys in the register(uh oh, that's shrink! a sure sign to the company that i must be stealing!) and walk out the door. Good riddance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

kevin423 in Alexander City, Alabama

75 months ago

I work at store 10028 in Alexander city as the primary stocker and run a register part of the time the last two day we been getting all kinds of hell from our district and now our regional about the store .
the district manager has a agenda against my manager he took over the store last year from the last management team that was there the store was a mess and on the verge of being shut down between the current manager and myself we got the store to the point where the profits are up and shrink is low but the district manager doesn't seem to care !
At this time im at a lost what do we need to do at this point it's getting to the point where the company is going to lose a good manager and several key people at this location i wish ERC could help at this point but don't know if it would do any good HELP.............

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dallasmavsfan in Stonewall, Mississippi

74 months ago

Dallasmavsfan in Stonewall, Mississippi said: I just want to say that i just quit as a manager 2 days ago. I was an assistant and i thought i could do good as a manger. Well within the first week of taking a store my RM and divisional manager were in the store. well they told me what to do to get the store up to model store. This store needed some serious help. Well my DM got some people in my store and we got it half way decent, then i had to go to training for 2 weeks. The store was in the floor again when i got back....no one lifted a finger to do anything while i was gone. Well the store failed 3 lp audits before i got there then failed another one. On inventory day my dm(a new one at this point) did a store visit and another lp audit

Guess what I failed that one. My dm didnt really help me get ready for inventory either. She sent a crew in to put out freight and precount some stuff but she didnt go over the inventory packet you get to get prepared. I was a new manger you would think she would help just a little. i knoie dms are not supposed to your job for you but come on. she progressive counseled me for not being prepared for inventory and for failing a storevisit and another lp audit. Most of this was not my fault but was being held accountable anyway

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Im dealing with a situations here in Alexander city al . at store 10028 my manager is gone on medical leave in his absence they took a asst form store 655 in the same area that has a history of bad blood between them.
Today this person told myself and the pther stocker that whatever we knew and what ever the my store manager told us we were to forget about and she was going to make changes upon hearing that she told me that i wasn't to do anymore map's and planograms being the head stocker and third key trainee in store and only person other than then manager that did them i found that to be wrong at best stupid a worst we have a asst that just finished SMC failed at his first posting as store manager it was so bad that our district pulled him out of the store and placed him back with us as assistant manage..knowing the history here between the temp and the current manager you think the district and regional would have thought about there choice a little better.

concertina in Dillsboro, North Carolina

69 months ago

I'm bothered by the fact that we have somehow managed to do the delicate balancing act of keeping our store running more or less in a fashion that brings in customers -- and money -- but because we have an external theft issue that no one above my manager is even willing to address, we all might be fired after the next inventory -- assuming we don't get booted before that.

They track basket size for the and then take an average. If you have more than a set number of customers and fall fifty cents or below that average with your own, it's marked. If half or more of your shifts for the week end up like this, it's a write-up. The problem here is simple -- different shifts work at different times, and people cruising around a store at 8pm don't necessarily drop the same kind of cash as those shopping for groceries at noon. That and because the system is setup to -favor- the write-up, you need two "good" shifts to neutralize one "bad" shift, three for two, and so forth. Everybody, including my manager, and all the employees I know in my district, have these write-ups. It's inevitable. But the statistic has never been reconsidered, to my knowledge, and in fact, is being enforced more than ever.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Now, here's the kicker. The rationale behind this is never consistent, but seems to involve the idea that a lower basket size indicates theft. Basically, sliding would produce a lower sale and impact the basket. The problem is, a lot of things impact sales -- like, for example, having no money left on your EBT card or not being able to count out enough pennies for a can of Viennas -- and sliding during a busy, high-basket shift could easily be done and still end up having the alternative shift written up. In fact, all the system is good for is as a tool to indicate strong and weak sales by time period -- this isn't RadioShack, we have very little opportunity to massively influence our customers, and our suggestion of a 3 for $1 candy cane at the counter isn't going to bring our baskets up by a hell of a lot.

DG makes the assumption that it has hired thieves, works them to death and then fires them based on inane statistics that justify not paying a quarter raise (not that payroll increases when someone gets a raise, you just can't work that person as much). I don't know if any laws are being broken, but there is a major breach of ethics involving the employee/manager/DM/RM/RVP relationship -- one's job is pretty much to tell the person below them what an awful job they're doing, then to give textbooks answers about how to fix them, and then wait five weeks and yell again when we implement them.

If you like to work for a company where your best will never be good enough, try DG. It really is that bad. I'm just stuck in a no-economy town, so for now, here I shall stay, doing a damn fine job and probably getting fired for it.

Oh well. At least I'd finally get some time off then.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Oh, as for the external theft aspect of things, riddle me this -- how exactly does a single human being run a cash register, put out freight, recover, and still keep an eye on every portion of the store?

We had over 100+ DVDs get stolen in a single load last week. These are located on a rack about twenty feet from the register, but blocked by a display. It's not like we don't try and stop them, but they almost always get away with murder ... the ones we catch are token victories compared to the overall problem.

"Over 60% of our shrink is internal" is the motto of the uppers. I'd love to see how they drew this number, how it has changed with these new policies and so forth. It's an exciting number, but it's most likely a lie -- from the evidence I've seen, it's more along the lines of blaming fired employees for shrink issues and then being absolutely dumbfounded when they arrive with a brand new crew. Idiots. Open your eyes! It's not like you're the only store that has ever dealt with shoplifters! Address the problem head-on, quit this 50/50 business so we can actually focus on the tasks assigned as opposed to trying to steal baskets from our fellow employees, and get us some sort of competent method of finding, following, and addressing shoplifters -- you have a satellite hook-up, link the cameras to it and use them to monitor the stores from a central area. But that's only assuming you want to actually address the problem...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Oh, and inventory tracking is awful. We're constantly overstocked on stuff, and stuff that is damaged when some idiot, say, stacked five apple juice boxes on top of candles, comes off of OUR inventory. It's insane.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

we just finished our black Friday sale and as of black Friday it wasn't so great for our store sales the only thing it was good for was a headache and sore back after cleaning up after the kids after they destroyed the toy isle.the company should really thing about what they send to certain store to sell around the holidays our electronic planogram is missing allot of stock due to shrink that is customer related if the company is going to send CD players,video cameras and other high end electronics it should provide the stores with a clear locked case with the manager having the only key. my district manager was asked by my manager about this.in my area there are 3 stores in which 2 are in high thief areas of town certain steps should be provided to fight shrink of this nature with security features on certain stock items. our team works hard to keep the shrink at bay and my manager has worked his but off to work with us to keep our store up to standard .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

carmen in San Antonio, Texas

69 months ago

dgsm in Norridgewock, Maine said: At Dollar General, employee's get a 30 minute break for anything over 6 hours, but less than 7 hours, then a hour's break for anything over 7 hours. It is supposed to be posted in an area easily noticed by employee's.
this is not so i wk. for dg and i never get a break!i run to the rr between coustemers.

carmen in San Antonio, Texas

69 months ago

Happy_Kat in Mt. Pleasant, Tennessee said: One of the women i work with has been there 8 yrs! But our SM told her that she wouldn't get her yearly raises anymore because she makes too much. She makes $8.40. Can they do this to her? I can't find it in the SOPs anywhere.
so how much can a dg emp expect to make?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

uzimodem in tulsa, Oklahoma

68 months ago

The company can do whatever it wants.....no one to tell them different. Taking care of good employees is not what they care about...only money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

momof5kidst in Flaherty, Kentucky

67 months ago

i know alot of people that works for dollar general,and the manager is rude to the customers and employes,he called his cashier a brainless retard and he follows people around the store asking them if they are going to steal it or pay for it.he treats his cashiers like crap,his best one he accuses of stealing,and not ringing things up,and we know she is a good person cause she found ALOT of money one day outside and she could have put it in her pocket with noone there instead she turned every dime in and a lady came and claimed it.so if she wanted to stael wouldnt she have stolen the money...i told her to go and talk to a lawyer for harrassment cause we have called in on him,so has many other people too,there are customers that wont go there if his car is there.they cant stand him..so if the dm(mike)dont do nothing i told her to do it herself and get her a lawyer,and then maybe dg will figure out we mean buisness,cause if your going to work some where and do everything your told and the customers love you.who do they need to let go....NOT HER!!!!!

wendyk90 in Houston, Texas

64 months ago

i have worked for dg for almost two years now and i used to love to come to work. but now i dont i became a mgr. at a high volume store and high theft store i turned the store from unsatisfactory to a model store i get anywhwere from 1600 to 2000 pieces of freight a week and only get two days to put it out with only 200 hours to work with .i open to close about 3 days a week . with maby one day off a week if i get that because someone is always comming to visit or someone calls in and i have to cover i am so tired i cant stand it. i tell my husband and he says hang in there . i turned a bad store into a model store. but i dont know how mutch more i can take. they built me a new store right next door and they said it was model but it wasent it was just a moved store. i have about 400 outs everyweek.cause i just cant keep up.then they yell at me because my core is rising.but i am to keep doing outs.so i am gonna shrink over 80.000 dollars during invantory.but it is all my fault.what am i to do i dont know anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

azzsezfl sezfl in Brooksville, Florida said: Was notified yesterday I am now a Plantiff against DG for illegal discrimination of female managers regarding pay. The suit was filed in Alabama, classaction case.

I'm glad DG can afford to pay lawsuits and lawyers, its certainly not paying its workers.

Guess those idiots are going to pay me one way or the other..............

how do i get in on the lawsuit?i am female and steped down from being a mgr. an am only getting paied 9.50 an hour and another store mgr.(male)steped down and is making 11.00 an hour that is not right

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Denton in Denton, Texas

62 months ago

I can totally relate Wendy. I'm in a TD2 and have a high volume/theft store. I get 200 hrs., well 240 since we have no salaried SM. Every week I must choose between having a stock team on T and T1 or Cashier coverage for the week while the mod works pog and backstock. For several weeks our truck has been out in less than 48 hrs and outs have been shrinking, but now due to all the new pog and mag we are full in our stock room to a point where we cannot work in it or set more mag. The sad thing is all of our stock has recently been worked again and over again and is truly overstock. We have so much paper I've made a stack out about 9 feet tall just of AS! Not to mention all the u-boats loaded down with paper and mag.. We're flooded atm and unless I can get the other ASM on board with recovery and our 3rd key's head outta his ass our almost model store is about to sink..

I guess we need either more hours or less stock or maybe less stock for a few weeks so we can clear out all the backstock. Dunno but I do know that you are getting jacked on pay because as an ASM I'm making what you do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

when r they gonna listen to what the employees r saying.they where rated one of the best companies to work for but i dont see how that is true with so many managers quiting.it is more than likely a good company to work for if you work in the home office and not down in the pit.

p.s.have you seen the video on the dm managers meetings?if they spent that money in there stores and not on thoes meetings maby more people would not quit.and get rid of that race car and buy better registers!!!

kevin423 in anytown, Alabama

61 months ago

the company like to spend money that I've seened first hand I've spent the last couple of day's working on a remodeling crew in a store that was a wreck to start with. the company decided to change the classification of the store from a front to back i guess that's what it was to start with to a centered. our last day i think was today but i had to ask if i was going to have to show up on Friday the hour's given to me didn't specify how long i was to be there all i was told was to show up at 7 am and had the leave at 3 to pick up my wife from her job.i gave my telephone number to the fellow in charge of the remodel i guess he'll call or not i don't know at this point ? you would think someone would tell us something about the start time and end time of the job..ready for thing's to return to normal got allot of thing to do when i go back to my store planogram's and map's need to be finished for the month of july..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Denton in Denton, Texas

61 months ago

I haven't done a remodel yet, I bet it would be kinda fun. I just had a visit from our DM and things seem to be looking much better in the store, still a lot of things to do though. I think that the butt load of stock was just to make sure we had no excuses for shelves being low or having outs because our next truck is only 800 pieces! Woot woot!

As far as pay goes, we all agreed to work for what we earn and we all have the option of leaving if we want. I am happy with my earnings as an ASM and cannot wait for the extra cash I'll get as a SMC.

kevin423 in anytown, Alabama

61 months ago

I've been with the company for sometime now not to long ago i applied to the smc program and im still waiting to hear something from a recruiter and for the matter about looking forward to a remodel of any kind if you know how to do planograms you will be drafted you won't be asked if you will do it you will be told you will and have no choice in the matter that's the case i had to deal with i just hope if you are told to do it maybe the person in charge of the store change will communicate with you about your hour's the fellow i dealt with didn't and i ended up asking store management what my hour's to start and get off were...some time's i think nobody knew what the other person was doing during the whole thing... worked for the company for 4 year's run a register,stock,and do map's and planner's for each month and still not a key holder after all of that thinking about hanging it up and going into a different direction.

61 months ago

Denton in Denton, Texas said: I haven't done a remodel yet, I bet it would be kinda fun. I just had a visit from our DM and things seem to be looking much better in the store, still a lot of things to do though. I think that the butt load of stock was just to make sure we had no excuses for shelves being low or having outs because our next truck is only 800 pieces! Woot woot!

As far as pay goes, we all agreed to work for what we earn and we all have the option of leaving if we want. I am happy with my earnings as an ASM and cannot wait for the extra cash I'll get as a SMC.

you wont get extra cash as an smc.who told u you would.the only time u get a raise is if u become a mgr.then u only make 32.000 a year to start.and you realy dont want that headache believe me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Denton in Denton, Texas

61 months ago

Well I have to disagree with you on that one. I have several friends that have their own stores and each make a different salary ranging from 30k to 40k, plus bonuses. I really think that your salary depends on your negotiations with your DM. As for the extra cash for SMC, my DM told me I would get an extra dollar an hour while in training and another dollar on top of that upon completion while waiting for a store. I know you're not lying about the headache though.. This one SM I now has been working like 70 hrs a week and has just now got her store to model status two SVS's in a row.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.