Dollar General News and Happenings.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 117)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Host

What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does Dollar General stack up against the competition?

Reply - Report abuse

kh in Gadsden, Tennessee

91 months ago

they sold the company ..now what happens to the jobs?? why are there so many manager jobs now???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

mary in Amarillo, Texas

91 months ago

I'm sot sure about the company, but if they have sold usually they wont survive. Trust me I have been in so many company's that have sold and 2 months later they shut the doors. K-Mart was one and Oil and Gas company was another, The hospital I worked for was another!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jennifer in Atlanta, Georgia

90 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

I hope no layoffs..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Alfred, New York

88 months ago

This is one company that uses the appli-can't process for weeding out applicants. Be weally weally carweful of their little employment test during the interview process.

Also, the other comments are correct, why so many positions open for managers? When this organization was first establishing themselves as a national chain discount outlet I had every positive comment for their business acumen. However, upon recent visits to some of their stores (in my area) and their inability to keep help has helped to change my opinion of them.

The stores I've visited are cluttered and dirty, and the help seems almost afraid to talk. Like they're on a leash, or something. Serious supervisory problems here, but that is an analysis from the outside.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

retailGIRL

88 months ago

Step2it said: If your thinking of working for DG, then take a deep breath before you do... DG is one of the worst company's to work for if you are in retail. If any of you understands the word slave then you will understand the hard working employees at DG. I worked for DG for as a manager and all the managers and team members in my District were under paid and over worked. The company does not care about any thing but, clear the aisles, recover, recover, recover, get the stock out, and cut back on your hours and don't forget to recover. Besides all that the starting wage as a Manager is much less than as an Assistant at the local drug stores. Also you will not have to work 60 or 70 hours when you team members call out on you.

well can i ask you how much you got paid, which you probally wont tell me, but if your not working there what is the harm of telling, i just would like to know

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

If you think this is bad...try...

86 months ago

If you think DG is awful...try working for U-Haul! Same levels of too much work and to little pay! I say CLOSE ALL OF THESE STORES! PEACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I'M OTTA HERE!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

KELLY

86 months ago

retailGIRL said: well can i ask you how much you got paid, which you probally wont tell me, but if your not working there what is the harm of telling, i just would like to know

I WILL TELL YOU THAT I AM A CO-MANAGER AT ONE OF THE DG MARKET STORES AND IT PAYS 30,000 YEAR SALARY + BONUSES. MY LAST BONUS CHECK WAS 76.00. I WORK AT LEAST 55 HRS WEEKLY SOMETIMES MANY MORE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

think for yourself in Oakland, California

86 months ago

A few years ago (5?) the SEC was investigating them for fraud. CEO was asked to "step down". Managers were fired or even worse threatened, when they balked at inappropriate processes. SEC Investigation had something to do with "hidden inventory".

Just take a look at their growth plan on the web site and read between the lines.

You can always try searching for the investigation report and see for yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

tnman in Nashville, Tennessee

86 months ago

KELLY said: I WILL TELL YOU THAT I AM A CO-MANAGER AT ONE OF THE DG MARKET STORES AND IT PAYS 30,000 YEAR SALARY + BONUSES. MY LAST BONUS CHECK WAS 76.00. I WORK AT LEAST 55 HRS WEEKLY SOMETIMES MANY MORE

I wouldn't work for them for less than $50,000. They are a CHEAP outfit...from their pay to their merchandise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

nan in Greer, South Carolina

85 months ago

Dave in Alfred, New York said: This is one company that uses the appli-can't process for weeding out applicants. Be weally weally carweful of their little employment test during the interview process.

Also, the other comments are correct, why so many positions open for managers? When this organization was first establishing themselves as a national chain discount outlet I had every positive comment for their business acumen. However, upon recent visits to some of their stores (in my area) and their inability to keep help has helped to change my opinion of them.

The stores I've visited are cluttered and dirty, and the help seems almost afraid to talk. Like they're on a leash, or something. Serious supervisory problems here, but that is an analysis from the outside.

You are so right about your opinion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

I think they hold their own,but if they would realize if they treated their employees as well as they expect customers to be treated and if you were paid for what you do ,I think dg would be unbeatable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Careanfe in Cantonment, Florida

85 months ago

Dollar General's expectations of it's cashiers is impossible.Cashiers are to be seen from the front door by customers yet stock merchandise 5 aisles back,clean bathrooms,bring sodas from back room,crush boxes in store room,pick up merchandise in all aisles,empty all trash cans,and walk around the store "helping" customers(Loss Prevention calls this "theft deterrent". They schedule 2 clerks(usually female)at night with no survellience, 1 working telephone,& the stores daily cash, THEN have the odasity to tell us employees are their #1 asset. BULL! They are a terrible acciddent waiting to happen.They expect the impossible, promise raises, don't appreciate 101% effort that some employees give.The only good thing about Dollar General is the customers.To improve quality of the store the DM's & RM's should be concerned with the input of cashiers & managers. They're the ones who deal directly with the public,which happens to be our neighbors in the community. I don't think some of the execs who make the rules ever lifted a finger in retail."A good deed never goes unpunished" is a good saying for Dollar General. The more you do, the harder they make it on you.FYI, never take the keys, there's only one way to go from there - down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

confused in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

85 months ago

Dave in Alfred, New York said: This is one company that uses the appli-can't process for weeding out applicants. Be weally weally carweful of their little employment test during the interview process.

Hi,Dave
Would you elaborate more the testing. I not sure i get the full meaning. I took their prove it test. I took it two months ago and I haven't heard a word yet. I have called the company but all I get is voice mail and no one calls back. I even called the Prove It to see if I could get a pass or fail answer from them. Prove it was helpful in given me any answer not the answer I wanted but atleast they were there. They told me I would have to contact DG for the answer. I haven't failed an assement yet. Anything further from you would help.
Reading everyones comments here maybe it is good they haven't called me. Maybe it is a company to work for. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

stephany in Dora, Alabama

85 months ago

its not all that bad its all in what you make of it yes it can be stressful and agervating some times but as a whole the job its good most of these people end up in the bad stores in bad areas or with a store team which is not that great i understand i am there right now i have been with dollar general now for 3 yrs yes some days i want to throw my hands up and say for get it but thats going to be with any job you have and as far as the company kkr buying out dollar general was a wonderful step for the company as a whole i think things will only go up from here if any one ever worked for the company here they would know what i mean the pay depends on the sales vloume in the store your in and some times the dm too as far as a test i dont know what kind of test you guys are talking about i never had to take a test have you filled out an app in a store and asked to see a dm in that area good luck any ? i might have an answer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Indyman in Indianapolis, Indiana

85 months ago

This company was/is ran by 2 of the most incompetant operations personnel. Kathleen Guion and Bill Bass. These two collectively couldn't find their A******* with a flashlight and a map. I was there over 6 years and can tell you that Perdue (former CEO) had the game plan from the beginning to take the company private and sell. Minimum wage is their game. They will break the backs of the employees, run it with a skeleton crew, cut costs across the board to hopefully salvage any/all profitibility. The best thing KKR could do would be to fire KG and BB all of the top support staff and go in a different direction.
Mis managed company....behind the times in every capacity from inventory systems, register systems, management training, and pay. Don't make a mistake and then get labeled a "dollar store" employee.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dollargeneraldiana in Texarkana, Texas

82 months ago

I worked for Dollar General 1 year. I have read alot of ya"lls
comments. I live in Texarkana, Texas. I worked maybe three blocks away from my store. I had an excellent Dm for about 10 months. Then everyhting went down hill from there. We got a new Dm. He only came to our store twice when he first took over as dm. Twice in the five months before our inventory. We had a cashier who was sliding merchandise but we really couldn't prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt. He was the one who showed us how on the Cash Analysis Chart she was sliding. He told us that she was the one with the most customers and the least basket size. He said she was our problem and there was our theft problem. But for the month we tried to get our dm to help us make sure that this is our problem, he did not once ever let us know what to do, could we fire her, anything. they were investigating the situation. THey suspended her for 1 week then another week. All the while our numbers were coming back up. While she was suspended, she found another job. Our dm told us that while she found another job that was considered her resignation from DG. She was allowed to shop and come and say anything she pleased about us and our company. We tried to get help from our dm and he just let it go. While this was going on with our cashier we found out that we were the ones that were really being investigated. To our suprize, Our store manager was let go on the pretense that she was to take a mini vacation to reflect and take time. She was told that she would be paid for the week off and she would be back on friday. Let me backtrack a sec, five days before she was sent on her mini vacation, Asset protection was in our store and asked us each, by oursleves, like

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

southpaw in Kansas City, Missouri

81 months ago

Can anyone who has worked for DG tell me the employee break policy? My mom works for them & she never gets a break, only a potty break & she has to ask for that!! I just think it's really awful the way the treat their employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dgsm in Norridgewock, Maine

81 months ago

I have been a store manager for DG for going on 6 months, before that I was an ASM for 2 months, and a 3rd key before that for 2 weeks.

In my short time with Dollar General, I can honestly say that this is one of the worst companies, in terms of payroll and logistics, in opperation today.

At my store, we run easily a million a year, but I am limited to 1,250 dollars in payroll (including my salary which is 1/2 of my total payroll). This puts me having to work 85 to 100 hours per week, just to meet payroll.

The paperwork process is barbaric, repetitious, and time consuming. They go by the "paper and file" system (which in this day and age means that they are too cheap to invest in a computer system. Again, the paperwork per week takes 4 hours to complete.

ERC is a hoot - would get better support and tech know-how from a 10th grade computer science flunky.

Let's not even get into their Disterbution center. Over worked drivers, merchandise not secured in the trailors (tends to fall out when the doors are opened.)

And to top it all off, they want the store managers to, at the same time mind you:
1. Greet customers;
2. Ask for literacy cube donations;
3. Check in vendors;
4. Ask for a toy donation;
5. Ask if they would like to donate a book;
6. Ask if they would like to donate a canned food item;
7. Ask if the customer would like to donate their kidney;
8. Ask a customer at the back of the store if they need help;
9. Check in a vendor;
10. Be on a conference call with a District Manager;
11. Entertain a screaming baby;
12. Deal with a customer screaming at the top of her lungs over a 50 cent item;
13. Bring in carts from outside;
14. Throw a rolltainer of freight;
15. And wash out a Wilson (yellow baskets).

Yeah, not even superman can fly that fast.

They need to stop being cheap, and pony up a little payroll to get quality people to work in the stores.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

azzsezfl sezfl in Brooksville, Florida

81 months ago

Dollar General is nothing more than a company ran by a bunch of hasbin executives grabbing at profits offered them by the KKR take over.

Numerious lawsuits, EEOC violation, openly racist regional and district managers and the typical hr types who bury as much as they can to protect the same is the norm. Executives falsify paperwork, lie, cheat and allow theft to further their positions.

I will tell you this in Florida, Tina Daugherty district manager and Leori Parente should be investigated for allowing theft to occur of Dollar General assets, and covering up the evidence rather than putting their jobs at risk.

These two women have allowed Dollar General associates to steal money from store cash drawers and when managers have complained and or disiplined the associates the these women have intentionally and knowingly stepped to stop any investigations from occurring.

Not that Kathleen Guion is any less liable considering she was directly contacted with evidence of the same thefts and decided it wasn't important enough to investigate, instead to protect her rear end made sure the managers who reported the thefts were fired.

In Brooksville Florida an entire store, managers, key carroers and associates quit on 1/5/03 when Tina Daugherty, and Leori Parente when into store 2762 to fire the manager.

Kinda funny an entire store staff quit on the spot and those who weren't at work yet we called by DG executives to come work the store, gave their notices over the phone because they knew what had been going on.

Yeah the one thing these people have that Dollar General executives don't is loyality, honor and honestly.

Maybe the rest of you should think about that the next time you complain about dollar general and it's problems and don't do anything about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

And folks the mass walkout was 1/5/2007, not 2003. Hey just a DG typo, HAHA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

mark in Senatobia, Mississippi

81 months ago

dgsm in Norridgewock, Maine said: I have been a store manager for DG for going on 6 months, before that I was an ASM for 2 months, and a 3rd key before that for 2 weeks.

In my short time with Dollar General, I can honestly say that this is one of the worst companies, in terms of payroll and logistics, in opperation today.

At my store, we run easily a million a year, but I am limited to 1,250 dollars in payroll (including my salary which is 1/2 of my total payroll). This puts me having to work 85 to 100 hours per week, just to meet payroll.

The paperwork process is barbaric, repetitious, and time consuming. They go by the "paper and file" system (which in this day and age means that they are too cheap to invest in a computer system. Again, the paperwork per week takes 4 hours to complete.

ERC is a hoot - would get better support and tech know-how from a 10th grade computer science flunky.

Let's not even get into their Disterbution center. Over worked drivers, merchandise not secured in the trailors (tends to fall out when the doors are opened.)

And to top it all off, they want the store managers to, at the same time mind you:
1. Greet customers;
3. Check in vendors;
9. Check in a vendor;

They need to stop being cheap, and pony up a little payroll to get quality people to work in the stores.

I was a SM for

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

mark in Senatobia, Mississippi

81 months ago

I have over 30 years experience as a retail manager. Every where i have been I have always turned stores around. I worked for DG for three months and made 35K per year. I made more than this in companies with only 3 or 4 stores AS AN ASSISTANT MANAGER! After 3 days of training my so called DM put me in the worst store possible, 4 SM's quit within the past year, after I took over the store the dm? transferred out the only good people I had and left me with 45 rollertainers, 15 u-boats, 2 thives, and nothing in any damm pear tree. After working over 80 hours a week I was fired for working after store hours, AFTER the dm? told me to do whatever it took, no matter how many hours I had to put in, that's why I got paid the BIG bucks. I know I was getting paid more than anyone else in the district and I was cutting into her bonuses. I am going to see a lawyer this afternoon. Anyone else been rail-roaded?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Was notified yesterday I am now a Plantiff against DG for illegal discrimination of female managers regarding pay. The suit was filed in Alabama, classaction case.

I'm glad DG can afford to pay lawsuits and lawyers, its certainly not paying its workers.

Guess those idiots are going to pay me one way or the other..............

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

no good dg in okc, Oklahoma

81 months ago

SO CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THE STARTING PAY FOR A DOLLAR GENERAL STORE MANAGER REALLY IS? DO MALES GET PAID MORE THAN FEMALES? I HAVE KNOWLEDGE THAT MALES START OUT AT ABOUT 30,000 TO 35,000. I WORKED FOR DG SEVERAL YEARS AND NEVER EVEN GOT CLOSE TO MAKING THAT MUCH AS SM

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DGMGR in Illinois

81 months ago

DG is looking for managers all the time because the other ones are so burnt out! I've had my fill, Worked for the company for 5 years and my DM just told me I'm not moving up in the company... after being promised over and over, because my RM has something against me personally??? What's that crap, i've cleaned up and turned around 6 stores in 5 years but because the RM has an issue with me personally I'm not being promoted. Folks, there will be another manager position opening up... MINE because I'm done busting my hump for a company who DON'T practice what the preach about "promoting from within" bull, the last 4 of my 7 DM's i've had in 5 years have been from OUTSIDE the company!!!! Go figure, what really is going on with DG???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

joy in Commerce, Georgia

80 months ago

get out now they are alway tell you what you want to hear i was at the same place you at then they let me go my dm hate me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Assistant Slave in Licking, Missouri

80 months ago

I am an assist. manager. I like my job and love my co workers, but I am frustrated with the company. I find it hard to respect a company that constantly accuses their people of stealing, and cannot make a decision and stand by it for more than a week.
Shall we talk about theft? How about the fact that we have to clock out for lunch, but are not allowed to leave the store because there's only one key on duty and if the employees at the register need something, we have to be there to handle it. So we are forced to work through our unpaid lunch. I guess it's ok for the company to steal from the employees.
I have problems with the fact that our company is made up of upper management with no moral fiber whatsoever. They pick the coldest week of the year to expect us to clean up the outside and clean the tape residue from the numerous posters that they insist we hang over our windows. Thus they try to steal our health as well.
They pay insulting wages, and insult their employees by accusing them of theft every single week in the star huddle. Then make us sign a "contract" to induce a "culture of honesty." How can they bring about a culture of honesty when they have none themselves?
I know my days are numbered, because I made much more money in my past jobs and with much more respect. I took this job because I wanted to get out of the house. I have my own business (farming) and the outside income helps a little during the slow time of the year. But in the past I worked high paying jobs. I just don't want to work outside my own business full time and this allows me flexible hours.
It saddens me, because I started out with pride in the company and a belief that they could become something worthwhile. But it would require a commitment to quality. Something DG doesn't have on any level.
The employees long to be team players and get kicked for it. You get what you pay for, and no where is that truer than at DG.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Assistant Slave in Licking, Missouri

80 months ago

Oh, and the distribution center!!! If the company spent one tenth of the energy that they spend worrying that we are going to steal a fifty cent candy bar on checking to make sure the rolltainers are loaded correctly, maybe half our losses wouldn't be in the form of merchandise received broken. How much does that cost the company each year? I swear if I reach into a box of broken glass one more time, I'm going to take it to the distribution center and cut off someone's ear.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Brenda49 in Unionville, Missouri

79 months ago

I was fired unfairly from DG too.So were most of the managers in a couple of our districts especially if you had been there a few years and was an older woman.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

dgsm in Norridgewock, Maine said: I have been a store manager for DG for going on 6 months, before that I was an ASM for 2 months, and a 3rd key before that for 2 weeks.

1. Greet customers;
3. Check in vendors;
9. Check in a vendor;

They need to stop being cheap, and pony up a little payroll to get quality people to work in the stores.[/QUO

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Don`t forget staying in the store all night while someone waaxes your floors and because you have no payroll you still have to work the next day.I`m looking for a good lawyer willing to take them on.Any help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

kh in Gadsden, Tennessee said: they sold the company ..now what happens to the jobs?? why are there so many manager jobs now???

we just had a job fair and they hired more managers...so what does that tell you? it tells me out with the old in with the new

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Brenda49 in Unionville, Missouri said:

How about 2 conference calls on truck day and then two "managers meetings" two days in a row ..one to watch a film the rm and dm made on how to clean your store,and the next day we get to clean someone elses store..anyone out there see the logic in that,,,I have limited hours to get my store back to grand opening and they are pulling me out of mine to clean another one...I see no help coming my way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

lenay in Auburn, Alabama

78 months ago

I worked for dg for almost a year and must say, it is hands down the worst job I have ever had. I was promoted to 3rd key after 1 month. Within 3 months of that, my asst. manager, store manager and dm, had all quit. I was single handedly running that store from open to close 7 days a week. I had only 3 employees on my staff at that time and would say I ran 70% of my shifts completely alone. When I would call other stores looking for help I got nothing except warned that I would get written up for being in the store alone. I have many horror stories about this place, one of which involved my former store manager stealing by doing fake refunds and then blaming me for it. I actually was sitting in a locked room with loss prevention telling me they were going to submit my handwriting to see if I was forging signatures. And later found out that they had watched hours and hours of footage of me working. (And of course they found nothing). But the actual reason I left was because one of my employees that I had become close friends with became a little obsessed with me and started showing up at my apartment complex all the time and when my boyfriend confronted him one night as we were leaving the store (but still on property) he lied and told the new dm my bf was drunk and threatened him. Even though I had formally complained about this employee to another store manager, they politely fired me. Basically asked me not to come back. After I had given so much to this store and kept it open when they had no one else, I was dismissed like garbage because of a lying stalker. This experience traumatized me and I would encourage no one to work, shop or support this company in any way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

doggeneral in pleasanton, Kansas

78 months ago

I just quit dog general.I have never been so disapointed in a company in my life. I was 3rd key. As a key holder we all perform the same duties excluding the mgr meetings. I can tell you this company does not respect anything other than the all mighty dollar! I was there a year. I kept telling myself it would get better it got worse! I worked 6 wks with 2 clerks. I was so tired but I thought they would respect that or say thank you. The mgr out on sick leave, the asst.mgr out maternity leave. The dm kept saying gonna send help. Just one example of overworked. I hung in there through that not really knowing what I was doing. Because you see you are trained on a need to basis.LOL. I was working toward that priceless vacation you are entised with. Well guess what I won't even get that. They scream follow policy, your a thief from the time you enter the door and the demand of 100% recovery, cleanliness, work in the back, the front, the office, answer pages from clerks, run run run, unenterrupted lunches my eye! I never never had a lunch in a year. The clerks no breaks. Its just horrible but people are so in need for a job they will let people like dog generals upper mgrment degrade them. Yes this is the worst place to try and seek a carrer. I really worked hard for them to no avail. Its really sad in America that big corporation are feeding off the little people. They should be ashamed of theirselves.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

nan in Spartanburg, South Carolina

78 months ago

I can't wait till I get out of there... you are so right,,they use you up and spit you out. My DM is so pissed because the dirty stores will not come clean,,I have used awesome, Mr Clean sponges and anything else you could think of the stores have been neglected so long well it ain't gonna happen,,, Well enough of my soap box ,,I wish you luck with what ever you do ...
Worn out at the dg

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dgsm in Norridgewock, Maine

78 months ago

nan in Spartanburg, South Carolina said: I can't wait till I get out of there... you are so right,,they use you up and spit you out. My DM is so pissed because the dirty stores will not come clean,,I have used awesome, Mr Clean sponges and anything else you could think of the stores have been neglected so long well it ain't gonna happen,,, Well enough of my soap box ,,I wish you luck with what ever you do ...
Worn out at the dg

My DM was tissed as well. I was in a store that had not had it's floors cleaned for 3 years, and my DM expected me to have them clean as a whistle. This was after telling me that I had to keep an assistant manager that could only work Tuesday and Sundays because she was in college, and not allowing me to hire a 3rd key because of the store's 'payroll', and then limited me to only 1 cashier. I don't think so. The DM finally came into the store, started to pitch a fit because the floors were not clean, and Johnny Paycheck's song "Take This Job And Shove It" came on the radio. I handed the witch my keys and told her just where to shove them. Oh, did I mention that it was at 1 pm and the only cashier had left, and I was the only person working until 8:45 P.M.? Too bad for her, it was friday and she had to work the store for 7 hours by her self, with no access codes to the register, and $22 in useable change in petty. Maybe she knows how it feels now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

nan in anywhere but DG

78 months ago

dgsm in Norridgewock, Maine said: My DM was tissed as well. I was in a store that had not had it's floors cleaned for 3 years, and my DM expected me to have them clean as a whistle. This was after telling me that I had to keep an assistant manager that could only work Tuesday and Sundays because she was in college, and not allowing me to hire a 3rd key because of the store's 'payroll', and then limited me to only 1 cashier. I don't think so. The DM finally came into the store, started to pitch a fit because the floors were not clean, and Johnny Paycheck's song "Take This Job And Shove It" came on the radio. I handed the witch my keys and told her just where to shove them. Oh, did I mention that it was at 1 pm and the only cashier had left, and I was the only person working until 8:45 P.M.? Too bad for her, it was friday and she had to work the store for 7 hours by her self, with no access codes to the register, and $22 in useable change in petty. Maybe she knows how it feels now.

Good for you at least someone has the guts to do that..but you get to miss the huge markdown of the cheap toys and the other useless crap they are trying to throw off on their customers. All we have heard is clean recovered stores and now they do this what the heck do you do with all that crap??? Need a new job sooooo bad

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

nan in anywhere but DG

78 months ago

I think the new people will get all the money they can out of dg and sell out

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

phish77 in Florida

75 months ago

obviously you are disgruntled and bitter. DG is not for everyone. Any job is what you make of it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

lenay in Auburn, Alabama

75 months ago

phish77 in Florida said: obviously you are disgruntled and bitter. DG is not for everyone. Any job is what you make of it.

I suppose that's true to a degree, but I can hardly think that it was my fault that my store manager was framing me for his own stealing, going so far as to forge my signature on returns and turning me over to the head office who watched days of footage of me and had my handwriting samples analyzed only to find nothing at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

matatdollargeneral in spanish fort, Alabama

74 months ago

southpaw in Kansas City, Missouri said: Can anyone who has worked for DG tell me the employee break policy? My mom works for them & she never gets a break, only a potty break & she has to ask for that!! I just think it's really awful the way the treat their employees.

Employee breaks are different state to state. You should look at what your state says.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Brenda49 in Unionville, Missouri said:

If you don't like your job do something else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

tie in Lake City, Florida

74 months ago

you only get an hour break after you're scheduled 8 hours or more

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

lenay in Auburn, Alabama

74 months ago

matatdollargeneral in spanish fort, Alabama said: If you don't like your job do something else.

That's so easy to say isn't it? Not quite so easy to do, however. Most people would not hastily quit their job until they've found another one, and maybe you haven't been keeping up with the times, but jobs aren't just flowing from the heavens. And the answer shouldn't be "quit", it should be that the DG corp. should take some ethics and accountability classes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

lenay in Auburn, Alabama said: That's so easy to say isn't it? Not quite so easy to do, however. Most people would not hastily quit their job until they've found another one, and maybe you haven't been keeping up with the times, but jobs aren't just flowing from the heavens. And the answer shouldn't be "quit", it should be that the DG corp. should take some ethics and accountability classes.

I live an south alabama. Jobs here are a dime a dozen. So maybe you should just look for one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

lenay in Auburn, Alabama

74 months ago

Actually I run my own business now and am doing quite well and was defending those that are trying to get out of their current situation. And I am not in south Alabama, but thanks for your concern!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dgwhite in bristol, Florida

74 months ago

no good dg in okc, Oklahoma said: SO CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THE STARTING PAY FOR A DOLLAR GENERAL STORE MANAGER REALLY IS? DO MALES GET PAID MORE THAN FEMALES? I HAVE KNOWLEDGE THAT MALES START OUT AT ABOUT 30,000 TO 35,000. I WORKED FOR DG SEVERAL YEARS AND NEVER EVEN GOT CLOSE TO MAKING THAT MUCH AS SM

i've been with them as store manager for 3yrs.. depending on what you know and how well you do a job.. and depending on dm and rm depends on your money.... i'm female and with bonus's that i get at then end of last year in 07 i gross between 35000 and 40000..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

dgwhite in bristol, Florida

74 months ago

tie in Lake City, Florida said: you only get an hour break after you're scheduled 8 hours or more

read your new sop.. now in florida you only have to give a 30 min. lunch no matter how long you or they work... came out 2weeks ago...and it also depends on what state you work in..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.