GIS Background Check

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (32)

MegLef in Evansville, Indiana

30 months ago

How long does it normally take? Do they ever hire felons? I know they used to but that was years ago. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (164) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

Phyllis in Independence, Kansas

29 months ago

MegLef in Evansville, Indiana said: How long does it normally take? Do they ever hire felons? I know they used to but that was years ago. Thanks

As a one time DG manager NO they don't hire felons.This is as of 2013

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Phyllis in Independence, Kansas

29 months ago

No I was employed with then until the end of 2013 and No as a manager we did not hire felons.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

nellgurylk16 in Georgia

27 months ago

what about driving offenses misdemeanors?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

aleciahy

27 months ago

I don't understand how they can just blanketly disqualify all felons as potential employees. That is against the constitution, it is completely discriminatory. Besides being completely idiotic on the part of DG. There are millions of people who have made mistakes in their past, paid their debt to society, and moved forward with their lives and become productive members of society. I am a very hard worker, I am honest and reliable and have years of management experience. But because I made a mistake 8 years ago many places won't even consider me for a job. I understand many company's reluctance, and I'm not saying that caution isn't warranted. But to just completely dismiss a segment of the population without assessing each situation on an individual basis is discrimination and should be stopped.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Idiotsauce

21 months ago

aleciahy said: I don't understand how they can just blanketly disqualify all felons as potential employees. That is against the constitution, it is completely discriminatory. Besides being completely idiotic on the part of DG. There are millions of people who have made mistakes in their past, paid their debt to society, and moved forward with their lives and become productive members of society. I am a very hard worker, I am honest and reliable and have years of management experience. But because I made a mistake 8 years ago many places won't even consider me for a job. I understand many company's reluctance, and I'm not saying that caution isn't warranted. But to just completely dismiss a segment of the population without assessing each situation on an individual basis is discrimination and should be stopped.

Quit being a little baby you made a mistake now live with it if millions of people dont have a felony then you could have to its your fault your in this situation and dollar general is in my opinion doing what every business should do completly ban you people learn to function in society and by getting a felony that is your punishment

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (77) Reply - Report abuse

SamTheSasquatch in Columbus, Georgia

20 months ago

Idiotsauce said: Quit being a little baby you made a mistake now live with it if millions of people dont have a felony then you could have to its your fault your in this situation and dollar general is in my opinion doing what every business should do completly ban you people learn to function in society and by getting a felony that is your punishment

How about you quit being a complete jerk? Yes it is their fault that they got into those situations, but they have paid their debts through time serving incarcerated, probation,and community service. Anyone can change, some people don't mature fully until their much much older. Obviously they have matured up enough to pursue a job. People make mistakes and take stupid paths all the time, that doesn't mean they should be completely denied a job for the rest of their life. How the hell are these kind of people SUPPOSED to turn into a productive member of society if they are denied over a one time felony? Do you want these people to STAY that way for the rest of their lives then give up going back on the wrong path to end up taking up space in prison once again? More tax dollars down the drain. People WON'T learn if they can't pursue a positive path,and getting a job is one of the first steps into walking on that path.
Apologies for the off topic post OP but it needed to be said.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No Reply - Report abuse

xmanni01 in Richardson, Texas

19 months ago

Phyllis in Independence, Kansas said: As a one time DG manager NO they don't hire felons.This is as of 2013

Will they hire someone who was arrested for a felony, but does not have a conviction? They are on probation / deferred adjudication.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Eire Bloodrinker

18 months ago

Idiotsauce said: Quit being a little baby you made a mistake now live with it if millions of people dont have a felony then you could have to its your fault your in this situation and dollar general is in my opinion doing what every business should do completly ban you people learn to function in society and by getting a felony that is your punishment

Listen here you fool bad things happen to good people all the time and innocent people as well as guilty are locked up and accused of crimes they did not commit EVERY DAY! And the assumption that you are innocent until proven guilty is a falsehood. Its in fact quite the opposite. There is a presumption of guilt as soon as an arrest as made and most times there's no coming back from that. So for you to suggest a banning on those with felony records well I say that's the most asinine thing I've heard in a long time. How about we also also ban moronic ignorant ass clowns who sit on their fat high horse judging others and deciding their fates without even knowing what's what. Let those without sin cast the first stone. Besides the innocents in jails there's also people who just effed up. Maybe they had a drug problem that they overcame or made a terrible mistake that they regret every single day afterwards. Have you ever done anything you regret? I'm sure somewhere down the line someone gave you a second chance. People eff up. Its the human condition. We are not infallible and no one is perfect. Get over yourself if you think all cons are people who can't function in society. From the sound of it you don't function very well in society either you lame brain loser. More people then ever before have had run ins with the law and if you block off a whole group of people for having done something stupid once in their life then you'd be a damn fool who's perfect society sounds more like something out of a dystopian nightmare. Its not how you fall, its how you pick yourself up. Eat it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No Reply - Report abuse

kay in Texas

17 months ago

Does dollar general hire people who has theft on there background?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (66) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

kay in Texas

17 months ago

Phyllis in Independence, Kansas said: No I was employed with then until the end of 2013 and No as a manager we did not hire felons.

Do dollar general hire people who has theft on there background

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

davisglen in Fort Worth, Texas

17 months ago

Phyllis in Independence, Kansas said: No I was employed with then until the end of 2013 and No as a manager we did not hire felons.

is that the policy? did your District manager say don't hire felons?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

davisglen in Fort Worth, Texas

17 months ago

talk to your EEOC rep in your state. they cannot deny your employment because of a felony unless it is theft, embezzling or something that would make you a risky hire. It only last about 7 years for it to not be a problem. I am sick of people acting like felons are all bad. Mistakes are made in life, It is true that most people won't hire you or will be stupid and talk to you like that guy just did. The truth is that they may be missing out on a really good worker because they thin they are better than you are. And black men generally get arrested and charged with felonies than white men. It makes this bleed into the civil rights. You do not lose them just because of your past. Prisons are big business. they would rather you steal and go back to jail.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

We the people in Grand Island, Nebraska

17 months ago

What is wrong with you? A man needs to eat. Ho ok so then everyone with a felony should be homeless. Or maybe just go and rob your house. Why not they can't get a job. In Nebraska employers can see that felony from 25 years ago. When you were just a kid stealing a candy bar. Sorry we can't hire you now go be homeless. lol The law needs to be changed. Employers should not be able to go back more than 7 years on a criminal background check. That's my two cents.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Not idiotsauce in Oregon

14 months ago

I hope one of the people you feel should be banned so they can't get any jobs target you for their crimes. They will need to do something if they are not allowed to work and from your comment I can think of a better person to make a victim

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Monique

10 months ago

Does dollar genteel hire people with a misdemeanor shoplifting charge ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Monique

10 months ago

Does dollar General hire people with a misdemeanor shoplifting charge ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Basic in Watertown, Wisconsin

9 months ago

Sorry love but it's against the law to not hire someone because of their criminal background in Wisconsin when you search court records they say on the offense it is against the law to discriminate for an offense unless it's murder so please shut your mouth. Yes it is their own fault for getting the felony but that doesn't give dollar general nor any other company a right to not hire them

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Trying to keep faith in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

8 months ago

Do DG hire people with misdemeanors such as simple assault?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Fluffybear

8 months ago

Idiotsauce said: Quit being a little baby you made a mistake now live with it if millions of people don't have a felony then you could have to its your fault your in this situation and dollar general is in my opinion doing what every business should do completely ban you people learn to function in society and by getting a felony that is your punishment

People do change! Labeling someone a felon for the remainder of their life just because they screwed up is wrong. People who have financial issues and are forced to file for bankruptcy or result a charge-off re only forced to keep that on their records for 7 to 10 years.

A full governor's or presidential pardon (in the case of federal crimes) can be a very lengthy and iffy process (neither are required to act on or even acknowledge a request for pardon) and still requires someone to answer "YES" when asked if they have ever been convicted. The lucky ones who did have their rights restored are still being punished even when "society" has completely forgiven them.
I personally see no reason why we can not set-up a time frame for felonies to be expunged as well (say, 20 years from your release from parole). If we can not do that than we should at least limit employers and civilian background checks as to how far they can dig back.

Dollar General is not paying people all that much that they should be all that picky in the first place. If felony convictions are such a concern to Dollar General than that is something which should have been asked in their initial application & interview(s), not after someone gets a conditional job offer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alice Johnson in Georgia

8 months ago

Unfortunately EEOC can't(won't) help unless you're a protected class. We found that out the hard way. My husband isn't a protected class but has a non violent not job related felony where he served 6 months in jail. He's had 13 job offers & all of them slammed the door when they found out he had a recent felony. If it's older than 7 years a lot of places will give you a chance especially if a background check doesn't show the conviction. A lot of companies only go back 7 years so the background check will be clean to them if it was longer ago.

I agree with Fluffybear. There should be a limit to the label. The court sentences you to a set amount of time but society punishes you for a lifetime. There are a ton of petitions at moveon.org & change.org (search for felons) to get changes to the laws. Everyone affected should go there & sign the petitions. It's sad to see so many people affected but so few have signed the petition for change. There are over 60 MILLION people in the US with some sort of conviction on their record. If just 1 person associated with those people would sign it would get attention. The political movers & shakers are getting involved with criminal justice so now is the time to take action or else you'll be looking at a lifetime of begging for any kind of job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mike

8 months ago

aleciahy said: I don't understand how they can just blanketly disqualify all felons as potential employees. That is against the constitution, it is completely discriminatory. Besides being completely idiotic on the part of DG. There are millions of people who have made mistakes in their past, paid their debt to society, and moved forward with their lives and become productive members of society. I am a very hard worker, I am honest and reliable and have years of management experience. But because I made a mistake 8 years ago many places won't even consider me for a job. I understand many company's reluctance, and I'm not saying that caution isn't warranted. But to just completely dismiss a segment of the population without assessing each situation on an individual basis is discrimination and should be stopped.

I couldn't agree more. Well said.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

micheal G in Moberly, Missouri

8 months ago

Idiotsauce said: Quit being a little baby you made a mistake now live with it if millions of people dont have a felony then you could have to its your fault your in this situation and dollar general is in my opinion doing what every business should do completly ban you people learn to function in society and by getting a felony that is your punishment[/QUPeople .

Do you know how stupid that sounds? " Thats your punishment" ? Thats the problem here in america people will always be judged by their past , despite paying their debt to society and making an honest attempt to live as productive citizens.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Fluffybear

8 months ago

[QUOTE}Do you know how stupid that sounds? " Thats your punishment" ? Thats the problem here in america people will always be judged by their past , despite paying their debt to society and making an honest attempt to live as productive citizens.

Not everything is judged by your past. As I mentioned before, you can file bankruptcy, have a repossession, or result in account being charged off, or even have a judgement placed against you and after 7 to 10 years (depending on the circumstance), it is cleared off your records as if nothing ever happened.
I am not saying all crimes should be expunged. As an owner of a business, I want to know if I am hiring an ex-murder or sex offender but I could really care less if some guy took a joyride or caught smoking a joint or even writing a bad check when he was 18 (and is now 40)..
When we release people from jail, they are suppose to be "rehabilitated" and we want them to become productive members of society but yet that's almost impossible if we are not going restrict them from getting work, paying taxes, and being productive members of this society. In many ways an illegal alien has more rights than someone who was born in this country.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Fluffybear

8 months ago

What should we do with these people? Allow them to live off welfare and food stamps all their lives? or maybe we should just exterminate all felons period?

When we are done with that, we can open debtors prisons and make people work off their debts for defaulting on homes, cars, loans, bills, etc..

How about someone who gets an F in school? Maybe we should label them as "a failure" for the rest of their lives..

What about when laws change? California recently changed their laws to make selected felonies, misdemeanors.. Is it right that these people have to continue to answer YES to "have you ever been convicted of a felony" when Joe Blow can be convicted of the very same crime some 30 years later can answer NO.

Let's be fair, unless you are prepared to label everyone for life for their mistakes than I really see no reason to label felons for their entire life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

none your business in Richlands, Virginia

2 months ago

You are are just afraid that one of us can take your job we paid our debt to society get out the way. Look around there's felons everywhere probably your own mama

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alice Johnson in Georgia

2 months ago

idiotsauce has the right nickname. It is so wrong to believe that a wrong decision or situation should keep a person from ever working or living life after they have served the sentence imposed by the court. Maybe the government could make places like concentration camps or reservations to put the people they'd like to throw away. How would that make a country look that claims to be the "Land of the free & the home of the brave"? We need to address the fact that there are over 65 MILLION people with a conviction in their background.Denying them the ability to work to repay society & stay out of trouble defeats them before they start. There needs to be a way to allow people to make a new start that lets them prove themselves to be more than what happened in their past.It's so easy to point fingers & be judgmental until it happens to you or someone you care about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Holly in Decatur, Georgia

2 months ago

Well aren't you judge and jury? Get off your high horse. Oh excuse me, you must be one of the few who has never made a mistake or commited a sin. Casting the first stone are we? You're pathetic.

Ryansopinion in Ardmore, Oklahoma

1 month ago

Why so felons can live off tax payers money? No I'm good on tax raises to take care of ex-felons. They need to work for a living to support there families and there selves. It's either that or they will continue to spread violence and crime through America to support there selves. You don't think a thief will not steal again if it comes down to it? If it depends on his or his family's survival, sure he will, especially if he's turned away from every business willing to better his life and provide a crime free environment for the community he lives in. The problem with the system here is nobody cares about the rights of others and if it makes them feel better about them selves they will step all over the felon because it's easier to say I'm better than you when they haven't been caught at the crimes they are doing yet. And for this person who responded with that attitude, he probably is some kind of child rapist who hides in the closet and like I said hasn't been caught yet. But you just wait sick s.o.b. the child will grow up and they will speak against you. Or the weed your selling illegally will be sold to the wrong person. You will get caught! It's just a matter of time. For what's done in the darkness will be brought to the light. And yup, you will be begging for a better life soon. You will want to be accepted but will be turned away from with disgust. That my friend is how the universe works. Some call it karma. Some call it justice. I call it God's way of showing us we are all equally wrong and sinful and in need of the blood of Christ.

Toomuchheart in Huntington, New York

3 hours ago

Do you even think before you share your d***head opinions???? Felons that paid their debt to society and are turning their lives around should be shunned out of society???? When that happens (because it does) people have no other choice but to go out and Rob and steal again....when all they wanted was to turn over a new leaf and make an honest living. Society needs to do a better job of helping these people that truly want to change they're lives, find work. And if not ...I hope they go out and r** as****es like you! Idiotsauce....ha!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Toomuchheart in Huntington, New York

3 hours ago

Ryansopinion in Ardmore, Oklahoma said: Why so felons can live off tax payers money? No I'm good on tax raises to take care of ex-felons. They need to work for a living to support there families and there selves. It's either that or they will continue to spread violence and crime through America to support there selves. You don't think a thief will not steal again if it comes down to it? If it depends on his or his family's survival, sure he will, especially if he's turned away from every business willing to better his life and provide a crime free environment for the community he lives in. The problem with the system here is nobody cares about the rights of others and if it makes them feel better about them selves they will step all over the felon because it's easier to say I'm better than you when they haven't been caught at the crimes they are doing yet. And for this person who responded with that attitude, he probably is some kind of child rapist who hides in the closet and like I said hasn't been caught yet. But you just wait sick s.o.b. the child will grow up and they will speak against you. Or the weed your selling illegally will be sold to the wrong person. You will get caught! It's just a matter of time. For what's done in the darkness will be brought to the light. And yup, you will be begging for a better life soon. You will want to be accepted but will be turned away from with disgust. That my friend is how the universe works. Some call it karma. Some call it justice. I call it God's way of showing us we are all equally wrong and sinful and in need of the blood of Christ.

Thank u....Amen!

Alice Johnson in Georgia

2 hours ago

My mother always said that there's the caught & uncaught. I try never to be so morally rigid because bad things happen & good people get caught up in bad situations sometimes. While I agree there should be consequences, the courts should be the one to give the sentence. Society continues to punish people that many times want to turn their lives around. I just hope that these judgmental people never have themselves or a loved one in this situation. You can say it will never happen to you but our family was one that never thought we'd be dealing with this.

If you don't give someone a chance to work how do you expect them to survive? You don't want to "support" them on government programs (many felons aren't allowed to get them anyway)& you don't want them committing crimes again so how do you suggest they pay for a place to live, food, etc? Not to mention the fees that many have to pay if they're on probation or court ordered fines.

So instead of being part of the problem, help find solutions that don't "reward" people that have convictions but will help them to get back to being productive. All most of them want is a chance to work, support themselves & start over.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.