No 15 minute breaks at all

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Bluewatergirl in Dowagiac, Michigan

10 months ago

So I started working at DG on Sunday. I was given a break that day, even though I only worked 4 and a half hours. I was then given a half hour break by the store manager on Monday when I worked 6 hours, didn't even ask for it. Wednesday I asked one of the assistant managers for a 15 minute break, she was unsure about it, but let me anyway. Yesterday I tried asking the same assistant manager, she told me that she was told that I am not allowed to have a 15 minute break unless I'm working 6 hours or more. Technically I'm scheduled for 5 hours and 45 minutes, but I don't get to clock out till 6 hours, because I have to help close the store with one of the managers that decides to work at night.

I understand that Michigan doesn't have a law for adults about meals and breaks, which makes it up to the company to decide. After running back and forth from stocking to the register, I can get pretty light headed, especially if I don't have a little snack to eat to keep my blood sugar up, or even just drinking something. At the end of the night my mouth is so dry, that even the customers wonder what's wrong. I also don't want to make a mistake at the register, because when I get light headed, my mind becomes foggy, and I'm afraid that I might not give the person the right change.

What I don't understand is why the store manager would give me a half hour lunch randomly, but one of the assistant managers won't let me get just a 15 minute break. I personally think that it's because they only have two people working each shift (one manager and one associate) and this one manager doesn't want to have to work the register AND stock. I do it, so why can't she? I stock, I work the register, I even clean the store at the end of the night, without even complaining to anyone. She complains when she has to go to the backroom to grab some pop bottles to stock. I hope my shift today is different, I hope I'm working with another manager, because everyone else is okay, but her.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

10 months ago

Bluewatergirl in Dowagiac, Michigan said: So I started working at DG on Sunday. I was given a break that day, even though I only worked 4 and a half hours. I was then given a half hour break by the store manager on Monday when I worked 6 hours, didn't even ask for it. Wednesday I asked one of the assistant managers for a 15 minute break, she was unsure about it, but let me anyway. Yesterday I tried asking the same assistant manager, she told me that she was told that I am not allowed to have a 15 minute break unless I'm working 6 hours or more. Technically I'm scheduled for 5 hours and 45 minutes, but I don't get to clock out till 6 hours, because I have to help close the store with one of the managers that decides to work at night.

I understand that Michigan doesn't have a law for adults about meals and breaks, which makes it up to the company to decide. After running back and forth from stocking to the register, I can get pretty light headed, especially if I don't have a little snack to eat to keep my blood sugar up, or even just drinking something. At the end of the night my mouth is so dry, that even the customers wonder what's wrong. I also don't want to make a mistake at the register, because when I get light headed, my mind becomes foggy, and I'm afraid that I might not give the person the right change.

What I don't understand is why the store manager would give me a half hour lunch randomly,.

Check with the Department of Labor on this. Lunches and breaks are law not company policy.

I worked for a company once in California that got fined because they were only sending people out to lunch when they weren't "busy". That's a no no.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

eagertofly in Belfast, United Kingdom

10 months ago

www.dol.gov/dol/topic/workhours/breaks.htm

It is not about Michigan it is federal law that sets standards on meals and breaks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

9 months ago

Well, here's what the DG handbook says...

"It is our policy to provide meal and rest breaks during the course of each workday for employees. Unless otherwise required by law, the number and length of breaks will depend on the amount of hours scheduled. Where state law differs from Dollar General policy, Dollar General will follow the specific state law. Employees may receive up to two 15-minute paid rest breaks per day depending on the duration of the employee’s scheduled work hours and the needs of the business. Peak business hours or projects may make it necessary to delay, shorten, or cancel the break."

And here's what state law says...

"Michigan does not require employers to provide breaks, including lunch breaks, for workers eighteen (18) years old or older. An employer who chooses to provide a meal, lunch, or break period must complete relieve employees of their work duties for the break period to be unpaid."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

9 months ago

They are now allowing me a 5 minute break these days, but it depends on the ASM. One will give me 2 one night, and another may only give me one the next night. If I'm working with the store manager, that's a whole different story, she doesn't even like giving me a half hour lunch break if I'm working 6 hours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.