How to get a job at Dollar General.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 161)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

jones

84 months ago

dollargeneraldiana in Texarkana, Texas said: not all stores in texas are having good/great experiences like your store. Try working in a store in Texarkana, Texas and see if you like your job then

Well, first i'm wondering why none of the managers for this company can spell. Secondly, my yearly wages as an asst manager, with retail experience, sets me at the poverty level
according to federal guidelines.
How happy are you with your wages?
according to federal guidelines.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jessica Eve in Livingston, Texas

84 months ago

sadly enough unless you make 75grand you are under poverty level. as far as my wages I make good money I dont have a problem with the money I make I am a single mother raising two children on my own for the last 13 years.. my last job in another state took care of me and my children as well as Dollar General does now.I have full benefits I work 48 hours a week and I am able to keep up on my store..as far as not being able to spell well sometimes our finger are faster than our brains when it comes to typing... so I am not nor will I ever be perfect we all make mistakes and if you feel working for Dollar General is one of them well then why work there...obviously if you feel you can do better then go do it.. and if you just settle for what you have then maybe thats all you can do..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

jones

84 months ago

sadly, here is a chart of the poverty guidelines. Now how mant of us fall in these guidelines? I'm going to say 95%.
The other 5% are probably regional managers who have never worked at a dollar general store,the ones who in their company cars with their expenses accounts, go from store to store, tell us what needs to be done,by YESTERDAY, the same ones who cant figure out why we can't staff a store with wages starting at 7.00 per hour.
THE LARGEST RETAIL COMPANY IN THE US PAYS BELOW THE POVERTY LEVEL, BUT HAS RACE CARS? do we have a company jet too?
your advice is correct, thankyou JESSICA I QUIT!

Legal Services Corporation 2007 Poverty Guidelines (as of 2/15/2007)*

Size of Family 48 Contiguous
States & DC i Alaska ii Hawaii iii
1 $12,763 $15,963 $14,688
2 $17,113 $21,400 $19,688
3 $21,463 $26,838 $24,688
4 $25,813 $32,275 $29,688
5 $30,163 $37,713 $34,688
6 $34,513 $43,150 $39,688
7 $38,863 $48,588 $44,688
8 $43,213 $54,025 $49,688
9 $47,563 $59,463 $54,688
10 $51,913 $64,900 $59,688

* The figures in this table represent 125% of the poverty guidelines by family size as

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jones

84 months ago

margarita rodriguez in Belton, Texas said: i need a job i put so many application and nobody call me

COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

kimberly daughty in Memphis, Tennessee

83 months ago

kimberly daughty memphis ,Tn said: I am interested in joining the Dollar General Team. How do I feel out an application on line?
I I'm interested in a stocking Job at dollar general.ebonybeauty@bellsouth.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

joshua lanckton in Canton, Ohio

83 months ago

i am a grate worker and i wil do my best to get the job done

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ALISA WEEKS in pearl, Mississippi

83 months ago

I AM GOOD WORK I AM HONESTY PERSON TO KNOW

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nan in Greer, South Carolina

82 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Dollar General? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

I have been at doller general for almost 2 years it was easy to get in all I did was apply at a store that was getting ready to open and worked my butt off and got a cashiers job and in a few months was promoted to third key..then in about a month I was promoted to manager,where I still am..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

azzsezfl sezfl in Brooksville, Florida

81 months ago

How to get a job at DG, well lets see:

Be willing to work for slave wages
Tolerate a manager structure who treats you like ignorant migrant farm workers
Work holidays and don't expect family time
Prepare for Employee Relations Center to treat your complaints like a bother
Expect to be harassed by your District Manager and Regional Manager
Don't EVER expect to see a bonus as a manager because they will bone u out of it
EXPECT to get canned if you so ANY motivation or initiative of your own

If you can deal with all this you too can keep a job at Dollar General like to retards at Bushnell Florida store where the Asst Manager is willing to act as the manager for 9 bucks an hour just to spoon with the new DM.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

To any one who as read the comments put out by Brookville Fl, here is one better for you to read
Brookville Fl says how to get a job at Dollar General and listed some negitive things here is one better..

if you take the job you already know they pay min. wadges or just above.
if you have a manager who treats you as if you are ignorant then follow chain of command and report them.
most jobs are open on the holidays what you actually want is a bankers job if you want holidays off.
Employee Relations is there to help and I personaly think they do there job very well concidering they have over 8400 stores to maintain.
as for a bonus well do your job the bonuses come I have made mine several times.
as for getting canned for showing motivation or iniative on your own well we have rules to follow and motivation is great but do it with in the guidelines and your job is actually very simple I have been with the company just about 5 years and what a great growing company we are and my employees are very happy.. so remember when reading the negitive commnets dont let that discourage you because for every action there is and equal and oppisite reaction..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

HAHA...Was notified yesterday I am now a Plantiff against DG for illegal discrimination of female managers regarding pay. The suit was filed in Alabama, classaction case.

I'm glad DG can afford to pay lawsuits and lawyers, its certainly not paying its workers.

Guess those idiots are going to pay me one way or the other..............

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

azzsezfl sezfl in Brooksville, Florida said: HAHA...Was notified yesterday I am now a Plantiff against DG for illegal discrimination of female managers regarding pay. The suit was filed in Alabama, classaction case.

I'm glad DG can afford to pay lawsuits and lawyers, its certainly not paying its workers.

Guess those idiots are going to pay me one way or the other..............

Every Manager got one of them and u need to respond my march 1st with a lawyer and evidence u were paid less.. Good luck I dont see it happening

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

dollargeneraldiana in Texarkana, Texas

81 months ago

to bad i dont work for dollaar general anymore cause i can tell you they do discriminate against women and pay. It's a shame that this big corporation treats women and in general its people who are making them this money like dirt. But that's ok. I found a better job and make almost twice as much as i did at dollar general without all the hassle.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

I got one in the Mail ..I have asked a few other managers what they are making its paid according to your experience.. if a male has more then you so be it.. But I do know that men in my area that have a lower volume store are making less then I.. if u made less then maybe it was because of the volume your store did.. higher volume stores do pay more

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

DeeCee03 in Diamondhead, Mississippi

77 months ago

Can anyone tell me where to find the manager's assessment test? I have been all over DG site and cannot find it.
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

DeeCee03 I went on the Dollar General Web site and could not find the mamagers assessment test either if you were asked to take the test then ask your DM how to locate the test and let us know if you dont mind..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

DeeCee03 in Diamondhead, Mississippi

77 months ago

I contacted the DM and he said not to worry about it right now. So I guess it is not available online until they want you to take it.

girlie girl in Enterprise, Alabama

77 months ago

i have worked with them for 2 years and i am very interested in finding another job.

77 months ago

good luck .. the best way to get ready to be a good manager is to find your shrink indicators and know your employes relation center..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

barbara baylom in camilla, Georgia

77 months ago

this site could really help me out thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Oscar Valentin in Missouri City, Texas

77 months ago

I am a high school student, 16 years old and ready for any position you'll have for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Eve1970 in Texas

77 months ago

you may want to double check but I do believe that all states are the same.. But Dollar General Does not have a minors program.. sorry..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Christopher Anderson in Denton, Texas

76 months ago

Im currently being considered as a DG employee, I do not have any felonys but I do have a class-A misdemeanor for assault, several years old, would that disqualify me from possible employment?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Eve1970 in Texas

76 months ago

Okay I am reading the comment about 2 days off in 6 months. I seriously do not believe this.. I work a high volume store I have approx. 1200 to 1400 piece trucks a week and I get my time off I work my 48 hours a week and sometimes I do a little more but thats just my thrive. as far as corprates demands there not as bad as you are making them seem. Its about making sure you higher the right people that will do the work needed in the time frame allowed. I have been with this company for over 4 years and have seen it grow and change for the better if you are working 80 pluss hours a week then you are not managing your store correctly and if you are overstocked then u are not doing your on hands and stock counts the right way either.. there are tools to help you assure a job well done if you dont know them then u never took the time to learn them...IF SOMEONE IS WORKING OFF THE CLOCK OR LETTING MINORS WORK THIS IS NOT BECAUSE DOLLAR GENERAL ALLOWED THIS TO HAPPEN THIS IS BECAUSE THE MANAGER OF THE STORE IS DOING THINGS ILLEGAL AND NEEDS TO BE REPORTED TO CORPRATE NOT JUST THE DM..
THIS IS A GREAT COMPANY WITH GREAT BENNIFITS..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Eve1970 in Texas

76 months ago

COMMENT TO : Christopher Anderson in Denton, Texas

THE APPLICATION ASKS IF YOU HAVE BEEN CONVICTED OF A FELONY. IF YOU HAVE NOT BEEN CONVICTED OF A FELONY THEN YOU SHOULD ANSWER THE QUESTION AS IT STATES: HAVE YOU EVER BEEN CONVICTED OF A FELONY.. THE ANSWER WOULD BE NO.... LET THEM DO THE BACK GROUND CHECK AND HOPE FOR THE BEST YOU LEGALLY DO NOT HAVE TO DISCLOSE YOUR RECORD IF YOU DO HOWER PUT YOU HAVE BEEN ARRESTED THEN MOST MANAGERS WOULD NOT EVEN LOOK AT YOUR APPLICATION..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

F-Bomb in Los Angeles, California

76 months ago

Christopher Anderson in Denton, Texas said: Im currently being considered as a DG employee, I do not have any felonys but I do have a class-A misdemeanor for assault, several years old, would that disqualify me from possible employment?

Like Eve1970 said: be sure to read the question carefully. I have not seen the DG application but most applications ask if you have been convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor. If it just says 'felony' then answer NO. Arrests do not count!

However, as a general rule, you are better off disclosing your record (if you have one). The worst thing you could do is to not disclose something that is then found = Automatic disqualification.

Eve1970 in Texas

76 months ago

when a background check is done with Dollar General it is done all via phone and when we get confirmation it only tells us if the person is eligable for hire or not eligable for higher it does not tell us anything eles. and once a back ground check is done.. done is done.... if it says you are eligable then great.. if not then we are never told the reasons why.. however you will recieve a letter from the background company telling you why ...

hope that helps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Shaleka Wayt in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

76 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Dollar General? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

my name is shaleka and i have been trying to get a job anywhere for the last 6 month i have no work history only helped out wit no pay. I am 22 wit a 6 year old son wit no help please tell me how to get in please thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shaleka Waytt in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

76 months ago

hi my name is shaleka i am a 22 yrs old female that can not find no job in the last 8 months i have been trying to get in anywhere i could but no luck. I really dont have no work history i always voln. at an olderly home. Please help me get in i need all the help i can recive to help me and my 6yrs old son i have been rasing by myself it's time for a change Thank tou my email is shlekawyatt@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Elcetra Crowder in Atlanta, Georgia said: I am interested in joining the Dollar General Team. How do I feel out an application on line?

Iwould like to know how do i feel out an app online in order to work at a dollar general in my neighborhood thank u

76 months ago

MD said: I have been trying to just get an interview for over a year now. They always seem to be running the same ads, but never have called me despite my being well qualified for the position. It's a mystery why companies (the ones that always seem to have the same ads running for the same positions) don't reply after you've shown certain interest in being part of their team.

why is that they say they will call but never do

Tiffany in Houston, Texas

76 months ago

Lameka in Baton Rouge, Louisiana said: Does dollar general hire ex-felons? My friend was recently offered a job and he is awaiting his background check. He was arrested in 2000 but didn't get convicted until 3 years later. He is educated and a great person who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time with "so-called friends". He has worked consitantly since then, but is nervous that he may be rejected because fo his past. If you have any insight please let me know!

I live in rosenberg tx and i do have a felony on my record but I wa aquited of the charges and found not guilty by a jury but it still shows up on my record because there is some clause in the system that u have to hire an attorny to have the charges exponged off or record but I have a legal document that says I was aquited. But I still cant get hired anywere I just tried at the family dollar. And they just said I coouldnt pass the background....I dont understand

matatdollargeneral in spanish fort, Alabama

74 months ago

Jessica Eve in Livingston, Texas said: DeeCee03 I went on the Dollar General Web site and could not find the mamagers assessment test either if you were asked to take the test then ask your DM how to locate the test and let us know if you dont mind..

I just took and passed the assessment test. It is very easy. When they get ready for you to take the test, someone will call you at your home and ask for your E-Mail address. That is the only way to get it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

puttinum6ftunder in pilot mountain, North Carolina

74 months ago

I'm a funeral director of 11 years, and I shop at my local DG all the time and they know me very well. I noticed a sign in their window for an Assisant Managers position today and ask them for an applacation.Being a funeral director is a 24 hour service. Do you think I have a chance with DG for I'm looking for something that's not a 24 hour service?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

irene in Maysville, Kentucky

73 months ago

why cant i log in to apply for a job? says i am locked out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Eve1970 in Texas

73 months ago

are u trying to fill out an application or hirring packet?

Regina Giordano in hernando, Florida

73 months ago

I would like there

yooper329 in Ohio

73 months ago

I too enjoy my job at Dollar General. But I can't seem to find anybody on this site that is outraged by the fact that Kathleen Guion sends out a memo claiming that she's excited about our new "PLAN" for incentives. They have taken the bonuses away from the Store Managers, who are responsible for sales, expense control and profit, and given them to the DM's and RM's. My store is growing in sales and profit yet I will make less money this year than I did last year. That takes a little of the enjoyment out of my job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Eve1970 in Texas

73 months ago

I work 48 to 52 hours a week if I work over the the 48 it is because I choose to do a few extra things around my store.. as for the bonus plan. I have made bonus every quarter for the last year I have had the store I am currently in. If you are working long hours then you are doing something wrong and I would suggest a better crew to support you. I have a high volume store with great team we manage to live up to the standards that the company is looking for. If your store is over stocked it is because you are not doing your onhands adjustments and stock counts correctly.. If you are not getting the support or help from your DM look to other resources for guidence. sometimes our DMs do not always have the answers but asking someone eles just might help.. I love my job with Dollar General the changes they have made has helped make my job as manager a lot easier then it was 5 years ago..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Interested08 in Cincinatti, Ohio

73 months ago

Does DG hire people with misdemeanors? Who does their background checks?
Does anyone here work in HR?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Eve1970 in Texas

73 months ago

a misdemeanor Does not show up on your record it asks you if u have ever been convicted of a felony if u have never had a felony then the answer to that question would be no. Dollar General does not hire anyone with a felony conviction on there record. as for who does the background checks I am not sure but if for some chance you fail the background check they do mail you a resoning of why. hope that helps in anyway..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nan in anywhere but DG

72 months ago

Just today a girl came in early and worked two hours off the clock. Yes it happens all the time take your blinders off duhhhhhh

Bosco in Orlando, Florida

72 months ago

nan in anywhere but DG said: Just today a girl came in early and worked two hours off the clock. Yes it happens all the time take your blinders off duhhhhhh

Why would anyone work off the clock? That is so stupid. Of course Managers are expected to do whatever it takes but for an hourly employee to do this is just ridiculous. If it's happening all the time then you are just allowing the problem to get worse. You're letting the Managers and owners get away with taking advantage of their hardworking employees.

RonaldnGa

70 months ago

I would really like to get a job with DG. My past experience is in Restaurant Management. I am located in Blairsville, Ga. We have three stores close by. What is the best way to get an interview? I have went in and asked for a application and they said they were not hirring. I think they may think I have too much experience?
I would even be willing to start part time! I belive I just need to get an interview! Anyone out there can help? Any suggestions would be GREAT!

Dallasmavsfan in Stonewall, Mississippi

69 months ago

matatdollargeneral in spanish fort, Alabama said: I just took and passed the assessment test. It is very easy. When they get ready for you to take the test, someone will call you at your home and ask for your E-Mail address. That is the only way to get it.

I just wnted to ask you about the test. i took it and failed it but only in a few areas. My DM told my manager that one of the was leadership...i dont know what the other one was. Do you remember any of the answers to the questions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Scrogglez in Mountain Home, Arkansas

69 months ago

how do you fail the test?

It is so freaking easy.

Questions like : Do you give drugs to get hyper?

Who do you talk to when you have problems?

Would you steal?

Come on, its really not hard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Dallasmavsfan in Stonewall, Mississippi

69 months ago

you must have taken a different test than I did.. it had sequence number questions the alphabet sequence questions and stuff like what is the best and worst thing to do in different scenarios. It had some math questions as well. I only need help in a couple of areas according to my DM. They said i could retake it in 90 days.There was also a question about 4 people sitting a table and who could sit next to who without messing with the seating arrangement. Also there was a question about a guy wanting to build a building and he had a carpenter, painter and electrician that could only work on certain days. The question were pertaining to scheduling i know. I have only been an assistant for about 6 months. I am gad you found it to be easy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jasmine73 in Florida

69 months ago

RonaldnGa said: I would really like to get a job with DG. My past experience is in Restaurant Management. I am located in Blairsville, Ga. We have three stores close by. What is the best way to get an interview? I have went in and asked for a application and they said they were not hirring. I think they may think I have too much experience?
I would even be willing to start part time! I belive I just need to get an interview! Anyone out there can help? Any suggestions would be GREAT!

If restaurant management is the only experience you have then basicaly you have NO experience! Retail management is totally different from restaurant. I'm not saying you couldn't do the job , I'm just saying that it's totallly different .So , no they probably aren't thinking that you have too much experience , it's probably not enough....

Jasmine73 in Florida

69 months ago

Dallasmavsfan in Stonewall, Mississippi said: I just wnted to ask you about the test. i took it and failed it but only in a few areas. My DM told my manager that one of the was leadership...i dont know what the other one was. Do you remember any of the answers to the questions?

Sounds like you took the managers/Dm accessment test. The one that is for regular employees is just a simple test to determine if you are an honest person or not at the basic level. The kind of questions the previous poster was talking about. Talk to your Dm about the areas that you falied and they should be able to help you. Also tickle.com has some tests on there that are close so that you can practice and get a general idea of what they are looking for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Neil Thornton in Macon, Georgia

68 months ago

Hi There

I never replied to any of these things before, but I wanted to mention my 'quirky' situation that has landed me an interview at 8:00 in the morning. I have had an app there for 3 months. Maybe this suggestion will work for you.

I live in a central Georgia city where there tends to be significant crime. The store I wish to work at is very nice and orderly, and they carry good bargains on certain grocery items I am consistant in buying. I noticed a sign that mentioned 'missing buggies'....I was on my way home a from a breakfast outing a couple of days later and noticed a buggy outside of a low income rental property near the dumpster, I turned around and sure enough, it was one of theirs!!! I threw it in the back of my Dodge van and drove over to the store and spoke to the manager, who informed me that people are taking these to the recycle places. I knew they did this with copper and stuff but grocery carts????

Well, in my conversation with the manager I let him know I had an application there and I would be happy to be considered. I have a stable work history, I am in my 40's and out of work due to our local Fox network trimming their payroll back in october. I worked in stores for quite some time back in the 90's and the first few years of this decade so I definately feel comfortable with this type of work.

So, just a suggestion. Hang in there. It is tough, be persistant, and hopefully this suggestion will help because apparently these carts are expensive and valuable and it might finally net you an interview. Good luck:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.