How to get a job at Dollar General.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 161)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

RonaldnGa

69 months ago

Thanks that was a good one! And Good Luck with your New job!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Neil Thornton in Macon, Georgia

69 months ago

Thank you. That was quick. Enjoy your week. G'night.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ladykatie75 in Creighton, Nebraska

68 months ago

Elcetra Crowder in Atlanta, Georgia said: I am interested in joining the Dollar General Team. How do I feel out an application on line?

My advice: Don't work for Dollar General! Trust me, you DO NOT want to work for this company. They'll treat you like crap. They expect the impossible and if you can't meet their expectations (and you won't be able to) they will make your life miserable. Maybe, if you can find one with a new building that doesn't do a whole lot of business, you will have the time to meet some of their demands.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

dreamersmokerheartbroken@yahoo.com in Bolivar, New York

68 months ago

General Team. How do I fill out an application on line?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dreamersmokerheartbroken@yahoo.com in Bolivar, New York

68 months ago

I would like to fill out an application.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

sarge00186@yahoo.com in Waterville, Ohio

68 months ago

I have recently applied for a manager position with DG. I was contacted by phone for initial interview and then it was recommended that I apply for DM position. From all accounts, they are not a bad company to work for, I have seen worse. Do your homework. Visit a store. Talk with the associates. Its not a high paying position but a chance to get in the door.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ladykatie75 in Creighton, Nebraska

68 months ago

I don't need to do my homework. I KNOW! I am dating a manager of a Dollar General now. You would not believe what they are doing to him. The demands are so ludicrous they are IMPOSSIBLE to meet. He works in a crappy old building the company rents and it is way too small for the amount of business it does. When he took it over last year it was a mess. He cleaned it up and sales skyrocketed, but there is only so much he can do. They expect the store to look perfect, and I mean PERFECT, every minute of every day. If his DM came in right after a customer tracked in mud, he would be in trouble for it. They are a VERY busy store! Often there are only two people working. They can't possibly have everything recovered 100 percent of the time and that is another thing she is demanding. The ONLY way that store could ever meet her demands is if NO ONE shopped there to undo what the employees have done to make it perfect. They send him product he doesn't need and then they complain that he doesn't have room for it. A gentleman from Corporate came to visit one day and he went back and reported that this store is "like trying to put 10 pounds of potatoes in a 5 pound sack." So far, he is the ONLY one who has been the least bit understanding. Another thing, my boyfriend has to put in 60 to 70 hours a week and he still can't keep up. He is not a slacker either. He works hard and fast. Breaking his salary down for the amount of hours he puts in, he makes about $5.90 an hour. He managed another DG before moving to be closer to me. That one was a "wow" store but it was far easier because it was a nice, new, larger building that only did half the business the one he's managing now does. They are being so unfair to him I can't believe it. The stress is beginning to affect his health. I wish everyone would boycott Dollar Generals until they start treating their employees better and being more reasonable. I guarantee you, the b1tch of a DM he has now, couldn't do half the job he does.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

matatdollargeneral in spanish fort, Alabama

68 months ago

Bosco in Orlando, Florida said: Why would anyone work off the clock? That is so stupid. Of course Managers are expected to do whatever it takes but for an hourly employee to do this is just ridiculous. If it's happening all the time then you are just allowing the problem to get worse. You're letting the Managers and owners get away with taking advantage of their hardworking employees.

If any store has employees that come in and work off the clock, it is only because they are taking something in place of pay. If the store manager knows about the work off of the clock he/she is more than likely taking from the company aswell...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sickofthedgcrap in anywhere, Rhode Island

67 months ago

jones said: well jessica how is your replenishment every hour going, especially on truck day? also, im having trouble getting to the mail, the pkanner, the voice mails , confernce calls, and video review.
Could you tell me how you get it all done with 4 people and 120 hours?

No Way No How It is impossible

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

sickofthedgcrap in anywhere, Rhode Island

67 months ago

sickofthedgcrap in anywhere, Rhode Island said: No Way No How It is impossible

Is there anyone on here that knows how to get above the cistrict or regional managers to file a complaint?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

sickofthedgcrap in anywhere, Rhode Island

67 months ago

sickofthedgcrap in anywhere, Rhode Island said: Is there anyone on here that knows how to get above the cistrict or regional managers to file a complaint?

I meant dm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sickofthedgcrap in anywhere, Rhode Island

67 months ago

ladykatie75 in Creighton, Nebraska said: I don't need to do my homework. I KNOW! I am dating a manager of a Dollar General now. You would not believe what they are doing to him. The demands are so ludicrous they are IMPOSSIBLE to meet. He works in a crappy old building the company rents and it is way too small for the amount of business it does. When he took it over last year it was a mess. He cleaned it up and sales skyrocketed, but there is only so much he can do. They expect the store to look perfect, and I mean PERFECT, every minute of every day. If his DM came in right after a customer tracked in mud, he would be in trouble for it. They are a VERY busy store! Often there are only two people working. They can't possibly have everything recovered 100 percent of the time and that is another thing she is demanding. The ONLY way that store could ever meet her demands is if NO ONE shopped there to undo what the employees have done to make it perfect. They send him product he doesn't need and then they complain that he doesn't have room for it. A gentleman from Corporate came to visit one day and he went back and reported that this store is "like trying to put 10 pounds of potatoes in a 5 pound sack." So far, he is the ONLY one who has been the least bit understanding. Another thing, my boyfriend has to put in 60 to 70 hours a week and he still can't keep up. He is not a slacker either. He works hard and fast. Breaking his salary down for the amount of hours he puts in, he makes about $5.90 an hour. He managed another DG before moving to be closer to me. That one was a "wow" store but it was far easier because it was a nice, new, larger building that only did half the business the one he's managing now does. They are being so unfair to him I can't believe it. The stress is beginning to affect his health. I wish everyone would boycott Dollar Generals until they start treating their employees better and being more reasonable. I guarantee you, the b1tch of a DM he

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

sickofthedgcrap in anywhere, Rhode Island

67 months ago

I feel your pain, I was a manager once and the demands still keep coming down...stress to the max and the fear that you might accidently do something that is wrong but you were told it was the right thing to do by management and then they let you take the crap for it...anybody else had enough but can't walk out cause you need that measly paycheck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

sickofthedgcrap in anywhere, Rhode Island

67 months ago

need help to get to the big guys at corporate Please respond

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dallasmavsfan in Stonewall, Mississippi

66 months ago

I just wanted to add that I did pass the managers assessment and will be managing a store soon. I am excited about the opportunity! I know it will involve alot of hard work but I a ready for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Royce3371 in Grayville, Illinois

66 months ago

Jasmine73 in Florida said: If restaurant management is the only experience you have then basicaly you have NO experience! Retail management is totally different from restaurant. I'm not saying you couldn't do the job , I'm just saying that it's totallly different .So , no they probably aren't thinking that you have too much experience , it's probably not enough....

I have been with DG as a GM for several years and before that the only mgt experience I had was restaurant ( 13 yrs) and let me tell you....management is management when it comes to retail or restaurant. Restaurant mgt was much more difficult and stressful to me. Not to say that everyone would feel the same. But I'm just saying, if you can handle one, you can handle the other.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Royce3371 in Grayville, Illinois

66 months ago

I also want to add that obviously I passed the mgt assessment test and there are two parts, one to determine your character, the other your inteeligence. I am here to tell you it is not easy, it is timed and one of the hardest tests I've ever taken. Another thing, you either get a pass or a fail. There are no " do overs" or anyone telling you what you missed. The DM only gets a pass or fail from the company who does the tests, so some of you are mistaken .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

RonaldnGa

66 months ago

Thanks for your comments Royce3371

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

mtnict in Derby, Kansas

46 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Dollar General? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

I am currently in the hiring process hopefully - I submitted an application and my resume online received a call from a recruiter the following day and was asked to complete a couple of assessments. Once those were completed I was contacted for a phone screening interview with the recruiter who immediately scheduled me for an in person interview with the DM. My interview was today I am currently waiting to hear back after the DM asked me to visit a couple of store managers for their input on the company, my feelings concerning fit, etc.

Whether I get offered a position or not my opinion of Dollar General Store in general has greatly improved because of this experience. Good Luck!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dennis Judge in Grayville, Illinois

45 months ago

Royce3371 in Grayville, Illinois said: I have been with DG as a GM for several years and before that the only mgt experience I had was restaurant ( 13 yrs) and let me tell you....management is management when it comes to retail or restaurant. Restaurant mgt was much more difficult and stressful to me. Not to say that everyone would feel the same. But I'm just saying, if you can handle one, you can handle the other.

Grayville, Il. is a small town with about 1,500 people. Before recently quitting, I was the manager for the Grayville DG store for almost fifteen years. I have never heard of Royce Earnest. There is no listing of him in the phone book(or anyone with the last name Earnest), nor have I ever had a customer with that name. Though I suppose it is theoretically possible we could have lived in the same small community and worked for the same company and never once cross paths, it's extremely doubtful. Unless proven otherwise, I'm calling shenanigans.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dennis Judge in Grayville, Illinois

45 months ago

Dollar General Employee in Livingston, Texas said: If you have management skill go to a dollar general reuest to speak with the district manager Make sure you have a resume available. other wise just fill out and application and make sure you write neatly.. good luck its a great company to work for.

Why isn't your name listed as an employee at the Livingston store? I'm doubtful this is a real person, DG has people write in what a great company it is. I worked for them for almost fifteen years. I'm not going to say anything good nor bad about the company, but don't get suckered with one-sided comments, people. I may be wrong, but any post from Jessica Eve from Livingston should be viewed with suspicion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dennis Judge in Grayville, Illinois

45 months ago

Royce3371 in Grayville, Illinois said: I have been with DG as a GM for several years and before that the only mgt experience I had was restaurant ( 13 yrs) and let me tell you....management is management when it comes to retail or restaurant. Restaurant mgt was much more difficult and stressful to me. Not to say that everyone would feel the same. But I'm just saying, if you can handle one, you can handle the other.

We have SM's(store managers), DM's(district managers, and AM's(area managers). I have never heard of a position of GM with Dollar General.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

KK24 in Fort Smith, Arkansas

41 months ago

if you have worked for Dollar General but you quit can you get hired back on?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ladykatie75 in Creighton, Nebraska

41 months ago

KK24 in Fort Smith, Arkansas said: if you have worked for Dollar General but you quit can you get hired back on?

Yes, but why on earth would you want to? They suck as for how they treat their employees. At least here in Nebraska, they do. Managers and employees go in and out of all the area stores here, like a revolving door. They cannot keep help for more than a few months because they treat them so terrible most can't take it. My husband has managed two of them, one in Minnesota and one here in Nebraska. Finally, what they were doing to him began affecting his health. He is just one of many, many people whose health suffered detrimental effects because of DG. A year after he quit, the Dollar General District Manager tracked him down at his current job and BEGGED him to come back. He, of course, said no. See my previous comment if you want to know how they were here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KK24

41 months ago

well down here it wasnt to bad...the DG was my first job and i loved it i really enjoyed working there, but i herd that if you quit without giving a notice than they put you on a no hire list and you cant get hired back on at any DG.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ladykatie75 in Creighton, Nebraska

41 months ago

KK24 said: well down here it wasnt to bad...the DG was my first job and i loved it i really enjoyed working there, but i herd that if you quit without giving a notice than they put you on a no hire list and you cant get hired back on at any DG.

Why would you quit then? Especially without giving them notice. I guess, all you can do is try. Put in an app. What could it hurt?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ladykatie75 in Creighton, Nebraska

41 months ago

Dennis Judge in Grayville, Illinois said: Why isn't your name listed as an employee at the Livingston store? I'm doubtful this is a real person, DG has people write in what a great company it is. I worked for them for almost fifteen years. I'm not going to say anything good nor bad about the company, but don't get suckered with one-sided comments, people. I may be wrong, but any post from Jessica Eve from Livingston should be viewed with suspicion.

I have to agree with you on this. The way she is singing the praises of this horrible, HORRIBLE corporation, is very suspicious.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

ladykatie75 in Creighton, Nebraska

41 months ago

Dallasmavsfan in Stonewall, Mississippi said: you must have taken a different test than I did.. it had sequence number questions the alphabet sequence questions and stuff like what is the best and worst thing to do in different scenarios. It had some math questions as well. I only need help in a couple of areas according to my DM. They said i could retake it in 90 days.There was also a question about 4 people sitting a table and who could sit next to who without messing with the seating arrangement. Also there was a question about a guy wanting to build a building and he had a carpenter, painter and electrician that could only work on certain days. The question were pertaining to scheduling i know. I have only been an assistant for about 6 months. I am gad you found it to be easy.

Was one of the scenarios: A customer just threw up on the floor. Another one has tracked in wet mud. Shelves need recovered. Another customer needs help. Which do you do first? The answer is, of course, you do ALL of them at the same time. Be in four places at once. That is the insanity of the higher-ups in this terrible store chain.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

KK24 in Fort Smith, Arkansas

41 months ago

i quit because there was so much drama between the manager and some of the employees i got sick of being in the middle...but i loved my job just not the people i worked with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

yasmin in Goose Creek, South Carolina

41 months ago

Wow that was such a powerful story, I was thinking about applying for a head cashier or supervisory position in Dollar General. My background is in banking.
Can you give me any advice about applying for a position.

yasmin

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

TXMOM in Texas

41 months ago

ladykatie75 in Creighton, Nebraska said: I have to agree with you on this. The way she is singing the praises of this horrible, HORRIBLE corporation, is very suspicious.

If you want to work like a dog and deal with customers at the same time...then DG is the place for you! I agree 100% with the comment that any post from Jessica Eve should be taken with a grain of salt. I have worked for a manager that put in more than her required hours and was an excellent trainer. Our store was always rated a model store. However, corprate is always changing the rules. Now that DG has gone public (last year) the demands on managers and asst. mgrs have become almost impossible. Its all about pleasing the stock holders. As for employee appreciation...good luck! oh wait every so often corporate will let you wear blue jeans and a t-shirt instead of your uniform on a weekend. (WOW that is awsome!) Employees will also be allowed to purchase an outfit (jeans/slacks/skirt and a top) to wear on a weekend the company chooses on occasion. They call this employee appreciation. Not really feeling the appreciaion!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

ladykatie75 in Creighton, Nebraska

41 months ago

TXMOM in Texas said: If you want to work like a dog and deal with customers at the same time...then DG is the place for you! I agree 100% with the comment that any post from Jessica Eve should be taken with a grain of salt. I have worked for a manager that put in more than her required hours and was an excellent trainer. Our store was always rated a model store. However, corprate is always changing the rules. Now that DG has gone public (last year) the demands on managers and asst. mgrs have become almost impossible. Its all about pleasing the stock holders. As for employee appreciation...good luck! oh wait every so often corporate will let you wear blue jeans and a t-shirt instead of your uniform on a weekend. (WOW that is awsome!) Employees will also be allowed to purchase an outfit (jeans/slacks/skirt and a top) to wear on a weekend the company chooses on occasion. They call this employee appreciation. Not really feeling the appreciaion!

Dollar General is one of the richest chain stores around. I heard on the John Tesh radio program that they have so much money they've decided to open up over 600 more stores. I'm not surprised they are doing so well. They pay their employees a paltry sum and keep giving managers more and more to do to line their (DG's) pockets. When my husband first started managing one of their stores, he didn't have to do anything with the cardboard boxes. Then, when DG found out they could make millions recycling it, all of a sudden my husband found himself required to cut up every box and tie the sheets of cardboard together. It was a lot of work and extremely hard on his hands. He didn't get any compensation for doing this, but Dollar General sure did. I wish we could convince everyone to NOT work there. They are constantly looking for someone to replace the ones who've had enough and quit every day. If everyone refused to work for them, they would have to start treating their employees better. My husband quit, thank God.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tryinhard in Vineland, New Jersey

39 months ago

Eve1970 in Texas said: a misdemeanor Does not show up on your record it asks you if u have ever been convicted of a felony if u have never had a felony then the answer to that question would be no. Dollar General does not hire anyone with a felony conviction on there record. as for who does the background checks I am not sure but if for some chance you fail the background check they do mail you a resoning of why. hope that helps in anyway..

what if it shows up charges pending PTI on your backround check will they still hirer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Grant 58 in Tulsa, Oklahoma

39 months ago

I went to hand in my application and the manager was walking out door to leave, asked me if i had time to take an assesmeent test, an employee there got on the phone with the manager to see how to check my results when i was done, i passed and then the employee had me print my name, social and phone number on a sheet. He said the rest of it would be for the manager to mess with, the second sheet the employee told me to take with me was a continuing part of it and it had information about calling IVR and to inspect I-9 documents. the employee said the manager will contact me pretty soon. do i have a pretty good chance of being hired?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in Paris, Kentucky

38 months ago

I see a few people complaining about being a Store Manager for the Dollar STore. Some things I know from over 20 years of experience in store management in retail is that no matter what company you work for the job is demanding if you are the manager! Almost all companies cut hours to a skeleton crew! That is sort of well-known in the retail world! The manager has to know how to manage the hours they do have efficiently! All retail jobs are extremely demanding...but if you are dedicated, know how to manage, have a positive attitude, and can multi-task you can do it! You have to be able to deligate some responsibility to your team and hold them accountable! However, you have to earn their respect as well! If your team respects you they will work their tales off for you and enjoy it!

The last company I worked for expected way more than the dollar store! It's retail! Managers are the backbone!

I am taking over a failing store this week to get its shrink down and improve sales! I've did this many times in the past! You have to go in with a positive attitue...and let your team know what you expect from them and hold them to it!

But I think people should be thankful they have a job/career! During our economical hard times there are people who can't find a job...so be thankful you have a paycheck!

Most people coming into a store management position think the manager should be the least to work yet get paid the highest in the store! I've not had a manager's job yet where that is the case! As a store manager that store reflects your management skills! Some people can do it, while others can't! It's not really as hard as some people say... if any manager is working over 55 hours a week then it's obvious they need to switch to a different career! Don't get me wrong there will be a week once in a blue moon where you will work 60 hours... but it should never be the norm! Most managers who can manage will put in 50 hours and run an efficent store.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

ladykatie75 in Creighton, Nebraska

38 months ago

Elizabeth, a lot of what you say makes sense. But not all Dollar General stores have good district managers. My husband used to manage a horrible store. It was in a building that was way too small and she was on his case constantly about it being too crowded. Why did they keep sending him product he didn't have room for then? You can't just throw out what you don't have room for. It was a very busy store too. They kept telling him they were looking for a new place, but they really weren't. He used to put in 60+ hours almost every week because they were so busy, someone had to stock, clean and recover, since the cashiers (often one being my husband) couldn't be in two places at once. They wouldn't allow him enough help for as busy as they were. It was impossible to meet the demands of the district manager. They had customers all day and often were running both registers at the same time. Who can stock and recover when you have to take care of customers? By the time things had slowed down, it was nearly time for the hourly person to go home. The one coming on would check on one register till closing while my husband continued to recover, face and clean. The DM was ecstatic that they had done so many dollars with so little help. But then she was angry that they were behind on other things. Even the customers said they didn't have enough help. So not all of DG's DMs do things the same way. I think that probably explains why the store my husband managed could not keep a manager for more than a year. Most didn't last that long. But even the higher ups credited my husband for making that store look better than it had in years and bringing sales back up to nearly what they were when it first opened. Sales had fallen drastically when managers had to choose between keeping it looking nice or taking care of customers. Naturally, taking care of customers won out. I'm sure those managers DIDN'T put in the 60 hours or more a week it took to keep the appearance up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Gainesville, Florida

37 months ago

"Some things I know from over 20 years of experience in store management in retail is that no matter what company you work for the job is demanding if you are the manager!"

Eh...

It honest to God depends on your DM and RM. If the a fore mentioned two suck, then you're going to get what I call 'tickle down stress'. AKA, their problems just became your problems.

When I was with DG I had great DMs, and God awful ones. When I was a DM, my RM was a mega you know what. I didn't take it out on my team under me, though. Come to think of it, I don't think I met in my tenure with DG, what I would consider, one competent RM.

That being said, some companies treat their employees better than others. Example; My current employer sends us off to Vegas for our end of year management conference. Yes, that's right, Vegas! All expenses paid, resort hotels, and a leisure stipend to spend on what ever you want. Trust me, for all my jobs faults, quite a few are forgiven on that week.

Back on topic, as someone who literally worked their way up from the very bottom in DG, look else where for a job. This company is simply not worth it. There are several retail employers out there that one can get all the way to District management without a Degree, and all pay way better than DG. Toys R Us, PETCO, Wal-Mart, Winn Dixie, Publix, and the list goes on. Moral of the story being, If you plan on a job being more than temporary, dont make it DG. Go work at a big box and brown nose your way to the top =P

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

txgeekygirl in San Antonio, Texas

37 months ago

I recently walked in and applied to a local DG.I applied for any open position,going wage acceptable (that means minimum wage here in Texas-GOOD JOB RICK PERRY!)
Anyway-I did get a call back and took some sort of assessment today. Alot of it consisted of what I consider strange questions.I know people researching "work at DG" have probably seen them posted ("Bob" dropped a box then he kicked and broke some stuff) followed by something to the effect of "what is the logical reason.."Quite a few of these"Jane/Bob" scenario type questions followed by 4 answers to choose from. I know I am not stupid but I cannot seem to understand the reason for this particular screen-er. There was one in regards to Jane came to work and found her co-workers drinking beer in the cooler. They offered her one.She took it.What was the logical reason? Umm-actually I don't even drink so I don't see any logic I can relate to in this question. Or many of the others. It seemed to orient towards either judging people or having some idea of how bob and jane think. The mgr told me that it takes about 45 minutes for "the results" to come back.
that was much earlier today. After reading all these comments I am not even sure I want to work there. I have no aspirations to become a manager or move up. I am just looking to supplement my family income. I have a clean back ground as well as no issues with former employers being called for a reference.
So someone want to explain the weird quiz to me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

justaperson in Spring Branch, Texas

36 months ago

txgeekygirl in San Antonio, Texas said: I recently walked in and applied to a local DG.I applied for any open position,going wage acceptable (that means minimum wage here in Texas-GOOD JOB RICK PERRY!)
Anyway-I did get a call back and took some sort of assessment today. Alot of it consisted of what I consider strange questions.I know people researching "work at DG" have probably seen them posted ("Bob" dropped a box then he kicked and broke some stuff) followed by something to the effect of "what is the logical reason.."Quite a few of these"Jane/Bob" scenario type questions followed by 4 answers to choose from. I know I am not stupid but I cannot seem to understand the reason for this particular screen-er. There was one in regards to Jane came to work and found her co-workers drinking beer in the cooler. They offered her one.She took it.What was the logical reason? Umm-actually I don't even drink so I don't see any logic I can relate to in this question. Or many of the others. It seemed to orient towards either judging people or having some idea of how bob and jane think. The mgr told me that it takes about 45 minutes for "the results" to come back.
that was much earlier today. After reading all these comments I am not even sure I want to work there. I have no aspirations to become a manager or move up. I am just looking to supplement my family income. I have a clean back ground as well as no issues with former employers being called for a reference.
So someone want to explain the weird quiz to me?

I took the same test about the same day you did and was just as confused by it. I got the job and am still confused. When I was told "it is just part time" that was fine that was all I was looking for like you not looking for a career just a few extra dollars to help out. Well I was never expecting "part time" to mean 8 hours a week really, 8 hours a week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

taztina in Covington, Georgia

35 months ago

Elcetra Crowder in Atlanta, Georgia said: I am interested in joining the Dollar General Team. How do I feel out an application on line?

to whom it may concern.my name is miss tina mcclendon l live in guyton ga. 31312.. i am interested in joining the dollar general team in guyton ga. so please how do i feel applicattion out ...thank u miss mcclendon

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

taztina in Covington, Georgia

35 months ago

Scrogglez in Mountain Home, Arkansas said: how do you fail the test?

It is so freaking easy.

Questions like : Do you give drugs to get hyper?no

Who do you talk to when you have problems?yes

Would you steal?no

Come on, its really not hard.

i would like to take the test

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

taztinanetscape.com in Covington, Georgia

35 months ago

just help me.with application please ..thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ladykatie75 in Creighton, Nebraska

35 months ago

taztina in Covington, Georgia said: i would like to take the test

You might fail if you answer the question "Who do you talk to when you have problems?" with a "yes." That is NOT a yes or no question. They may think you can't read or comprehend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jj23 in san jose, California

35 months ago

I want to know how you're suppose to answer questions like "Growing up you never told your parents a lie" (agree, slightly agree, don't know, slightly disagree, disagree) or "You have never been late to work" or "You have never took a sick day off when you really weren't sick" or "You have never used curse words" or "You have never been in a fight with someone" or "You don't know anyone who would steal" or "All politicians are dishonest" or "it's better to buy a stolen good than to steal it out right" There are so many mind-twisting questions it's no wonder no one can get jobs in America they have these stupid quizzes for jobs that my dog could do!! I am a college educated, Catholic church going, mom of 3, who just needs a job to help pay the bills!! I failed the Clerk assessment last night because I answered the questions "honestly" Yeah I did tell lies to my parents I'm sure at some point growing up. "yes I do know people who have stolen things" "Yes I have been late to work once or twice" "No I don't think all politicians are dishonest" "I guess it would be better to BUY stolen goods rather than out right and steal them".....Does Dollar General want me to answer them the way a brown noser, perfect angel would answer them? Should I say I have NEVER told a lie, should I say I've NEVER been late, should I say I've NEVER been in a fight before?? Do they honestly think a married person hasn't ever been in a quarrel with their spouse?? lol I really don't know what to think about this. The first part of the test, the Logical part, I answered them LOGICALLY...why did Carol slam the phone down on a customer? Because she was probably ticked off! But am I suppose to say the reason she slammed the phone was because it accidentally fell? lol Does Dollar General want me to answer the LOGICAL questions the way a SAINT would answer or act?? It's so misleading and makes me feel wrong. Whatever happen to applying for a job, having a 15 minute sit down and getting the job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dennis Judge in Grayville, Illinois

34 months ago

Dollar General Employee in Livingston, Texas said: I have been a manager for four years now. I seem to have little stress with my job because I train my key holders to know everything I know. They work the plan-o-grams, they do the end caps when the book comes out. each employee has there assigned duties. I feel holding them accountable for there actions wether good or not so good build moral.. I have a great crew and I believe that makes my job less stressfull. I had a visit today from my regional to see if the ad was set. I made sure my crew was the one who received the thank you.. little things like that keep them happy.

I worked for Dollar General for twelve years. I didn't come here to bash them, it isn't much worse than any other company. I do want people to know that many of these replies are not from actual people, but put here by the company to make itself look good(looking at you, Jessica Eve). So take many of the comments with a grain of salt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dennis Judge in Grayville, Illinois

34 months ago

Royce3371 in Grayville, Illinois said: I have been with DG as a GM for several years and before that the only mgt experience I had was restaurant ( 13 yrs) and let me tell you....management is management when it comes to retail or restaurant. Restaurant mgt was much more difficult and stressful to me. Not to say that everyone would feel the same. But I'm just saying, if you can handle one, you can handle the other.

Be warned, people, this is spam from Dollar General. I live in the town this man claims to be from. Town of 1800 people, everybody knows everybody. He does not live here. Not only that, I was the manager at this store for twelve years(until one year ago); trust me this person was fabricated by Dollar General Corp.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

erika3 in Defiance, Ohio

31 months ago

I just got hired on the spot at dollar general.and tomorrow i have to take my background check and is so nervous. I have a disorderly conduct for defending myself when my bf was abusing me. Would i still get the job? Its only a misdemeanor but im still nervous. SHOULD I BE????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

ladykatie75 in Creighton, Nebraska

31 months ago

erika3 in Defiance, Ohio said: I just got hired on the spot at dollar general.and tomorrow i have to take my background check and is so nervous. I have a disorderly conduct for defending myself when my bf was abusing me. Would i still get the job? Its only a misdemeanor but im still nervous. SHOULD I BE????

I'd be nervous just working for DG. They are going to work you to death, treat you like crap, and pay you a paltry sum. Dollar General is the WORST chain to work for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

NoDFs in West Plains, Missouri

28 months ago

jj23 in San Jose... that's exactly my situation! I wanted to work there so I could relocate somewhere else next year with a job by transfer. I unexpectedly was sat down to take the test when I walked in to inquire about a job even before my application was turned in. I too answered the questions realistically. The managers there wanted to hire me but said that I failed the test and that I had to wait one year to take it again. I am 45, very analytical, clean criminal & drug background, and the most honest guy I know. I also don't mind working hard at all.

I am a trusting individual and therefore I believe this is why I failed. Thinking back to the test it seems as though you are already supposed to have a suspicious mindset going into it, otherwise you might accidentally give the situation the benefit of the doubt and miss what "THEY" want your answer to be. If they were intelligent themselves they wouldn't leave your fate at the hands of a 3rd party test without at least a check of your references on the application. I guess I wouldn't want to work for them after all!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ladykatie75 in Creighton, Nebraska

28 months ago

Trust me, you DON'T want to work for DG. I wish EVERYONE who does work for them would quit and I wish NO ONE would ever apply to work for them. But ... everyone seems to have to learn the hard way. My husband managed three of their stores, worked his butt off but nothing he did was ever good enough. I took his salary and divided it by the number of hours he had to work. It figured that he was making less than six dollars an hour. Do you really want to work your fingers to the bone for a lousy $5.78 an hour? They treated my husband like crap. And yet, a year after he quit, they called him at the store he works for now and begged him to come back. He told them "no way!" They expect way too much. They are impossible to please. And they pay you a paltry sum for the nightmare they put you through.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.