What's the company culture at Dollar General?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 341)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

michaelallhands in Columbia, Missouri

96 months ago

I was a store manager with DG for about 2 years. I came on board after five years of retail management experience in the St. Louis market. I have never encountered a company like DG.
1-Management is given no resources to work with. The company is well aware of its image problems (dirty, out of stock stores, bad costumer service, etc.). However their solution to this is to berate DM's, who then make life miserable for SM's. I ran two different million dollar a year stores and never had more than 140 pay roll hours to work with. Which meand if you are management, be ready for 70 hour work weeks and never having more than one associate working.
2-This company is archaic in all forms of technology. There are no PC's in the store and the ancient IBM registers crash with regularity.
3- There is a major problem with inventory. Stores receive about 1000 pieces of freight each week but you have no idea what you are getting at the store level. Nothing is checked in; you just have to take it on faith that you are getting what the warehouse says you are getting. This leads to massive shrink at inventory time, which is chalked up to internal theft at the store level. This is preposterous given that there is no manifest available to SM's to confirm what is coming in to the store vs. what is supposedly shipped.
3-The biggest problem is the handling of people. Don't expect to make more than minimum wage if you are at the clerk level. From a management standpoint, it is nearly impossible to find good help because you can't pay anything or even offer many hours. In my experience, the way any employee issues were dealt with was to discredit poor performeres, accuse them of theft that is impossible to prove or disprove and either terminate them, berate them into leaving or cut their hours down to nothing.
In short, working there was a miserable experience. The company seems to put no value on its people, loves to put unrealistic expectations on magaement vs. the resources.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

michaelallhands in Columbia, Missouri

96 months ago

dgproblems said: After reading this I believe I am being set up. I run a good store but I had a bad inventory of 10.5%. Everyone knows its the assistant. I have asked for cameras,an alarm system (which most stores have) but have gotten no help. Now they are acussing me of everything from not working enough hours to a sexual harassment remark.

This is typical of my experience. Bad inventories get DMs attention and they will stoop to any level to run a store manager out to get the heat off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No Reply - Report abuse

lega36cy in Platteville, Wisconsin

96 months ago

There's gotta be a better business number to file these complaints with. So far...they seem to be getting away with these archaic ways of doing things and no one is doing anything about it. Either that, or the way they have it set up, with being able to terminate without probable just cause is just too easy an out for anyone to sue on the grounds of unjustifyable cause.

I worked from starting at the store...48 hours, to over 78 hours a week through the new year. Then all of a sudden someone at corporate seen the notice of missing money at my store and decided it was time to do something. 30 days after it happened!!
Despite my constant calls to corporate to inquire about the status of the investigation, no one knew anything. Despite the fact my DM was CONSTANTLY gone on medical leave, I had no one to CALL with the little bit of power training I received before being thrown into the store before Christmas to ask what to do if...or what happens when this happens...So I tried my best in doing in my experience what I thought would be the correct procedure.
I got shafted...because it was 'against' company policy.
Lost sleep, harrassed by the police until I took a lie detector test, and irked by my ex-employees because they thought I WAS to blame. Now I hear the other employees denied taking a lie detector test, thereby leaving the case, a DEAD case file.
What to do What to do...?
Nothing. Just move on with my life and put all this crap behind me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bosco in Orlando, Florida

96 months ago

MauEvig in Arkport, New York said: Those jerks fired me. Just because I accepted a check for 250 dollars without manager's approval...and evidently it turned out to be a bad check.
Yet the stupid computer took it! I don't see what the big deal was. They told me the bank didn't accept it.
But y'know what? Those jerks were just looking for some way to get rid of me anyway. I knew it. I tell you what, I won't spend a single dime in that store anymore.

And you're wondering why you got passed over for a promotion? It seems pretty obvious . . .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

mauevig in Arkport, New York

96 months ago

Seems pretty obvious? Oh c'mon. I worked my ass off for them. I deserved a promotion. Someone who walks in the door without any prior management experiance gets to be a keyholder.
Meanwhile I bust my ass, come in on my days off, give them 110% of my efforts. I don't want to hear "it seems pretty obvious" when I know da** well they were just trying to look for an excuse to get rid of me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

dgwhite in bristol, Florida

96 months ago

i've worked for dg for over 4yrs. 3yrs are as store manager.. my crew and myself bust our butts every day. my store is a 2mil. store our inventory was a .87% this year and last year it was 1.13. i average about 200 hours a week and 1500 pieces a week..one thing is true pay sucks for the females i know because i'm one of them.. our store stays clean and well stocked every day..trucks are put up in 36 hours of delievery. but my store is a reflection of me.. so everyone is right it depends on store managers because they are the ones to set the pace.i dont ask my employees to do anything that i don't do myself and yes i have to fight for all of there raises and merit raises when i can get them and they don't start out at min.wage.. it has its pros and cons.. but when bonus time rolls around i'm laughing all the way to the bank... and i give my crew a part of my bonus's as well..you take care of your crew and they will take care of you...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bosco in Orlando, Florida

96 months ago

MauEvig in Arkport, New York said: Seems pretty obvious? Oh c'mon. I worked my ass off for them. I deserved a promotion. Someone who walks in the door without any prior management experiance gets to be a keyholder.
Meanwhile I bust my ass, come in on my days off, give them 110% of my efforts. I don't want to hear "it seems pretty obvious" when I know da** well they were just trying to look for an excuse to get rid of me.

Like I said, it seems pretty obvious.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

mauevig in Arkport, New York

96 months ago

It doesn't matter. I don't work for them anymore. I deserved to be promoted; I wasn't. And I'll find something better.
You're entitled to your opinion, but I for one disagree vehemently.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Tjo in Lithonia, Georgia

95 months ago

MIKE B. in Josephine, Texas said: YOUR NIECE NEEDS TO REPORT THIS TO HER DISTRICT SUPERVISOR PLUS IF SHE HAS NOT ALREADY DOCUMENT IN WRITING THE FACTS

WHEN IT OCCURED THE FIRST TIME
EACH TIME AFTER
EXACT ACTIONS/EXACT WORDS
DATES/TIMES
WITNESSES
IMPACT IT HAD ON YOUR WELL BEING EXAMPLES:LOSS OF SLEEP/LOSS OF WEIGHT/FEAR/ SCHEDULING ISSUES LESS HOURS/MORE UNDESIREABLE SHIFTS
OTHER CO-WORKERS YOU MAY HAVE TOLD ABOUT THIS
FROM THIS POINT FORWARD DO NOT DISCUSS THIS WITH ANYONE ELSE BUT YOUR DISTRICT SUPERVISOR
ONCE YOU REPORT THIS TO THE SUPERVISOR THE BALL IS IN THE COMPANYS HANDS AND THEY ARE EXPECTED TO ADDRESS THIS WITH A 911 SENSE OF URGENCY.

I'M A FORMER RETAIL DISTRICT MANAGER WHO HAS INVESTIGATED AND BROUGHT TO CONCLUSION NEARLY FIFTY ISSUES YOUR NIECE IS EXPERIENCING OVER AN 18 YEAR PERIOD.

BEST OF LUCK ON THIS AND PLEASE TELL THE TRUTH EVEN IF IT HURTS.

-------------------------
I 1000% agree with this! Your niece will feel stressed out but if she quits, doesn't get promoted within a certain amount of time, or when she changes jobs and she can't get a good professional reference from this person, then SHE WILL LOOK BAD! She will not be competitive and desirable to future employers. And she will always feel uncomfortable in the future with filling out applications and going to interviews to talk about WHY she left that company.

You CAN NEVER say anything negative or blame-like or talk bad about a former company--it just makes YOU look like trash but anyway--she'd better woman up and handle that now!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tjo in Lithonia, Georgia

95 months ago

Feelings can get hurt, people can get scared, and yes, stress from that thing makes you sick but it's ONLY to her benefit to get this thing handled NOW! Plus, if she thinks about it carefully, she probably wouldn't wish this type of treatment on the next girl he allegedly does this too (and if this is true, then he's probably done this in the past and will DEFINITELY do this in the future).

I used to work in the U.S. Federal Gov't in an agency I WON'T name. It was the most horrible experience and I payed for it with my health in several ways. I can't afford health care but when working at that agency I was told that I could very likely end up with cancer. I don't know if I have it now, but it's been YEARS and the condition has never fully recovered. I have permanent health damage from working there but that's another story.

The stress though from working in a HIGHLY SEXED environment and not being interested in participating and then being punished (my permanent record in the federal gov't) because I didn't return a supervisor's feelings towards me.

The supervisor lied, and then went to every higher up on the campus to discredit me in addition to starting rumors about me to co-workers in other parts of that same facility.

My co-workers who where witnessing it all spoke out against it and told the truth about the situation even admonising him for his foul treatment of me with the the write-up that I recieved from him for not wanting to stand next to him because he was having one of his famous temper tantrums.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tjo in Lithonia, Georgia

95 months ago

I was tried to go up the appropriate chain of command but he beat me to it. That place was hell on earth but I took the job because it was easy to get and there were problems trying to get the job prior to even starting there (with my info being lost and such so those were big warning signs but i didn't take them)

Point: I would have nightmares on the rare occasions that I actually fell asleep. I stayed awake most nights because of stomach aches.

I tried to keep going up the chain but then gave up. Things got worse, I was physically touched inappropriately by another employee of that agency on a seperate occasion (HIGHLY SEXUAL ENVIRONMENT--the men looked at the young females inappropriately and the women who were in charge would get in trouble for doing the same--two at least by rumor) but it was a culture where one person turned their head on the floor when a buddy was doing dirt and then they'd keep returning each others favors.

Females who were young and fairly attractive who didn't take advances were punished. Males who were nice people would get punished too.

HIGH turnover rate (huge clue--dont work for a co. with a high turnover rate)

But anyway, your niece needs to suck it up and document and complain in writing and be dogmatic about sticking to seeing that things get done to her liking and if people ignore her then she needs to keep going up until there's nowhere else withing the company and if it doesn't get taken care of then she needs to complain to her ombudsperson and also to local not-for profit companies who protect employees in her state.

This will make HER look bad by all accounts in the future if SHE doesn't fix this now.

I know from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

hcibezim in Houston, Texas

95 months ago

Well, i have been reading the many viewer posts on Dollar General and how the company works. I can't comment too much on others experiences so i shall briefly describe mine. I began to work for DG on May 2008 and i quit in August 2008, not because i hated the job, but because i had to reapply my focus back on my education as a college student. I began as a cashier, then i was moved off the register because i had too many voids. Now, that to me is insane because if a customer doesn't want an item, then what am i to do? They used the laughable system of talking points to prevent voids and if you had a little over 2 voids a day, they'd accuse you of stealing from the company, yet they had a camera on me and they could also tell from the cashier analysis if i was sliding. So, i decided, fine, let me move onto the back of the store and i unloaded the trucks, recovered, and helped out in any way possible. My problem was that my manager was under the delusion that he could guarantee his job by doing all that they told him to, but any moron could see that wouldn't happen. Then one day, he called me in and told me that i was on notice because he didn't like the way i was recovering the store and that i was wrong to criticize company policies. I balked, but figured, just one more month and i'm out. Then all of a sudden, i'm given a "promotion" to go to another store 30 mins away to become a third key and then asst. manager and my store manager says that my recover is now good. Little did i know that the new store was going to close down by late august and that i was being setup. So, i agree and i start working at this new store, but it is in pretty bad condition, in a rough neighborhood, and theft occurs daily. I do my job and such and then i hand in my two weeks notice and that was it. From my experience, DG is only for the truly hard working, don't even bother to ask for time off because in my case, it cost me a week of pay considering that i had another job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

Continuing from my previous post, they won't let you take time off and if you ask for time off, you're subject to either being fired, or they will remove you from that week of work. The policies of the company is a joke, especially the idea of resets, planograms, and voids. The resets are tedious and they should really do the right thing and hire more people to do these jobs, but they won't since they are quite cheap and greedy. Don't even bother with an idea of a discount since they don't do that as well. The SM and DM are overworked, as are all who work for these people. They will routinely change your schedule without your consent and you will have no life, but the life that you have at DG. The place is decent to work, if you view it as a temporary thing, but if you have other choices, i'd suggest looking somewhere else, hell, even walmart was better to work for except for the customers. Just as an advice, if you wanna work here as a temporary work stop, then fine, but if you are looking at a career, i'd suggest other places of employment other than a dollar store

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

J-man In SmallTown Ohio in Camden, Ohio

95 months ago

I have only been with dg 6. mo but I really enjoy it. I work with very nice people. All of us get along Great. I live only a few minutes from work in a small town in ohio We always are busting our butts to keep the store clean & in order. Thier is actually a waiting list of future employees that consist of 15 people. I am fortune to have my job & make sure to give my 100% because there is plent people in line if i fail in my duties. & there is many people without jobs. point being " Stop Complaning You have a job thats more than most people can say. if you hate your jobs this much there is always something else .So quit complaining you do like your pay or duties - There's more place than D/G. if you hate your jobs that much!P.S. It doesnt matter if you make 5 dollars a hour or 50 dollars an hour YOU CANT TAKE IT WITH YOU .... A 4-MILLION DOLLAR HOME & MERCEDES BENZ in the drive way aint gonna matter when your gone !!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

harry potter in anywhere, Kentucky

95 months ago

drvjm7 in Portageville, New York said: I am a customer and would like to file a complaint on a manager at our local D.G. store. How do I get the District Manager's name and number to do this?
Thank you.

Try 1-888-237-4114 I think that used to be ERC dont tell them you want to complain ask for the district managers office numbner for that store in that city otherwise theyll blow you off

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

retailGIRL said: well ty jenn, this is the first good postive advise, and i do agree with you all depends who is the manager , im going as a store manager in training , and all i hear is bad stuff. but you are right,it depends on the managers , you give respect in order to get respect . and treat others like you like to be treat. you need to like your job if not you well be unhappy in what you do, and make everyone unhappy as well. but ty for the postive advise.

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT ANSWER AGAIN IN ABOUT 8 WEEKS HA AH

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Dollar General?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Dollar General?

YOULL BE SORRY YOU EVER SPENT 1 DAY THERE THATS WHY MOST OF US GOT OUT THEY TRY TO GET ME TO COME BACK ALL THE TIME NO B.S. BUT THEY NO BETTER

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

BOY ARE YOUR THOUGHTS GONNA GIVE YOU A RUDE AWAKINING JUST YOU WAIT BUT I WONT SAY i TOLD YOU SO BUT YOULL REALIZE THAT YOURSELF

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

monkeyba in Houston, Texas

95 months ago

YIKES--the positives? REALLY? I worked my hind end off for two months for that company as third key--they never got around to giving me the MONEY that comes with that position, but they had no issues giving me the RESPONSIBILITIES of that position!! They use you at Dollar General and have no problem doing so. The corporate rules are pathetic and obviously made by the "suits" because no one in their right mind who has ever worked the register at a Dollar General would implement such ridiculous, laughable policies!! I have worked for 20 years in different fields and I have NEVER seen such a preposterous corporation as Dollar General. Working as management for minimum wage is UNHEARD OF!! Sad little business for SURE. I will NEVER EVER spend another dime in one of their stores for ANY reason.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No Reply - Report abuse

warehouseworker in Williamsburg, Missouri

95 months ago

hcibezim in Houston, Texas said: Continuing from my previous post, they won't let you take time off and if you ask for time off, you're subject to either being fired, or they will remove you from that week of work. The policies of the company is a joke, especially the idea of resets, planograms, and voids. The resets are tedious and they should really do the right thing and hire more people to do these jobs, but they won't since they are quite cheap and greedy. Don't even bother with an idea of a discount since they don't do that as well. The SM and DM are overworked, as are all who work for these people. They will routinely change your schedule without your consent and you will have no life, but the life that you have at DG. The place is decent to work, if you view it as a temporary thing, but if you have other choices, i'd suggest looking somewhere else, hell, even walmart was better to work for except for the customers. Just as an advice, if you wanna work here as a temporary work stop, then fine, but if you are looking at a career, i'd suggest other places of employment other than a dollar store

As I have said before, I work in the distribution center, not the store. But as for time off, we earn 9 or 10 floating holidays per year, or you can take a days pay for the holiday, whichever you choose. Last year I ended up in the hospital on a Thursday morning ( I work Fri, Sat, and Sun) and I called my boss, delirious with fever, don't even really remember doing it. I spent two days in the hospital, so I missed a whole pay period. When I went back the following week, with my doctors note, she had my medical leave papers ready and all I had to do was sign. Those days don't count toward absences, and as a matter of fact, I was given an award for having perfect attendance in the previous 2 quarters. So, as far as time off, I don't see where they are so bad. Again, this is the DC not a store, but I think their attendance policies are company wide.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

matatdollargeneral in spanish fort, Alabama

95 months ago

monkeyba in Houston, Texas said: YIKES--the positives? REALLY? I worked my hind end off for two months for that company as third key--they never got around to giving me the MONEY that comes with that position, but they had no issues giving me the RESPONSIBILITIES of that position!! They use you at Dollar General and have no problem doing so. The corporate rules are pathetic and obviously made by the "suits" because no one in their right mind who has ever worked the register at a Dollar General would implement such ridiculous, laughable policies!! I have worked for 20 years in different fields and I have NEVER seen such a preposterous corporation as Dollar General. Working as management for minimum wage is UNHEARD OF!! Sad little business for SURE. I will NEVER EVER spend another dime in one of their stores for ANY reason.

What is sad is that you worked for this company and yet you don't know anything about it. We are not so little DG is 8200 stores and going strong.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

Maybe it was because you worked on the distribution center, but while i was a sales associate and third key, i was denied time off simply because the manager was behind on his work and his paranoid ways. If i continued to press the issue, i was taken off the schedule for a week, now this was my own personal experience and it deterred me from recommending this job to others. Face the damn truth, many people who have worked for this company have held the same complaints, you are merely an apologist for the crap that they shove down people's throats.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No Reply - Report abuse

monkeyba in Houston, Texas

95 months ago

matatdollargeneral in spanish fort, Alabama said: What is sad is that you worked for this company and yet you don't know anything about it. We are not so little DG is 8200 stores and going strong.

HA I know that the "suits" are the ones making the money and making the ridiculous policies and paying slave wages to those doing the WORK. Ok, not little--HUGE, ugly company. I have never worked in retail before--I HAVE worked in restaurants. I told myself that food would be the LAST job I ever did again...after working at Dollar General, I would go back into food service in a HEARTBEAT, however, I would eat DIRT and live on a street before I worked retail again. I can work like a dog and get crappy pay at home and I don't have to get out of my pajamas!! My first job was for $2.85 an hour bussing tables at a truck stop--I would do THAT job again for that pay rather than work for Dollar General! The store manager was grossly inept at training anyone...he basically threw you in the water and stood back while you fought to sink or swim, then chewed you out daily because you didn't swim properly. Sorry! Teach me to swim or let me do it my own way, but you cannot have it both ways. I am going back to doing taxes and dealing with the IRS for $10 bucks an hour...almost sounds like a vacation now. HA now I can appreciate a GOOD job and a GOOD boss as well as a RESPECTABLE place of employment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No Reply - Report abuse

warehouseworker in Williamsburg, Missouri

95 months ago

hcibezim in Houston, Texas said: Maybe it was because you worked on the distribution center, but while i was a sales associate and third key, i was denied time off simply because the manager was behind on his work and his paranoid ways. If i continued to press the issue, i was taken off the schedule for a week, now this was my own personal experience and it deterred me from recommending this job to others. Face the damn truth, many people who have worked for this company have held the same complaints, you are merely an apologist for the crap that they shove down people's throats.

I don't apologize for anybodys crap, thanks very much. I stand on my own with my own opinion, just like you're entitled to. I like the company and have no complaints. If you don't like it, then shut up and leave!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

I already left this sad excuse for a company because i know that a career in retail is filled with nothing but misery and woe in order to cater to lowlives

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MrsJR in Grandville, Michigan

94 months ago

I worked for DG for a very short time. I was referred to the store
by a former employee that I happened to be dating casually at the time (we are now married).
I needed extra part time work at the time,and DG seemed perfect.
The Manager seemed more interested in the employees` personal lifes,
gossip, and tried to encourage me to spy on the other employees,
find out who was saying what about who - especially what might be said about her- then doing the store and customers justice.
One day, I was working with another employee, and my 'boyfriend'
came in to shop and say hello.
I noticed the other employee made a phone call, and took the phone to the back.
As soon as my boyfriend left, the Manager came storming in,ordered me to the back, and commenced to throw a complete temper tantrum! Crying, kicking product, yelling!
She went on to inform me that I stole someone she had been interested in, someone she planned to marry, how I was out to steal her job,
how she thought it all was a conspiracy, and what an embarassment this was all going to be to her! She went on with other countless
accusations,insane utter blather. I am sure my mouth was just hanging open. I was speachless.I kept my composure.But I was in shock.
I said " Gee, I am sorry" while shaking my head in disbelief.
I have NEVER seen such display in the workplace,much less from a grown woman.
She offered to find me other employment at another DG.
I told her "No, thank you". I had found out later that she even made hang up phone calls to my emergency contacts, even my ex husband.
I wonder if other employees had witness to any wierd outbursts of hers. I hope not. And I hope she recieved 'help' for her issues .
We still continue to shop DG. We enjoy shopping at DG and never had a bad experience doing so. We have appreciation for all those who work hard. We never did run into this manager again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sostellar in Wausau, Wisconsin

94 months ago

MauEvig in Arkport, New York said: Those jerks fired me. Just because I accepted a check for 250 dollars without manager's approval...and evidently it turned out to be a bad check.
Yet the stupid computer took it! I don't see what the big deal was. They told me the bank didn't accept it.
But y'know what? Those jerks were just looking for some way to get rid of me anyway. I knew it. I tell you what, I won't spend a single dime in that store anymore.

This is in response to all of your posts. You are really upset because they did not want to bump you up to management after 2 months?! And judging by your reason for being fired, you obviously did not deserve that title of key holder OR management. One of the basic rules at any job and I mean ANY job is to follow the rules, not break them because you think your boss is a "jerk".
Maybe your boss so potential in the new employee as management material and saw you as only a cashier. Maybe she didn't think you could handle the responsibilities, which you obviously can't judging by the reason for your termination. YIKES. I would have fired you in a heartbeat. I wouldn't consider someone hiring outside of the store as "going behind your back" because you weren't promised the position... I'm sure she took you into consideration for the position but decided someone of a higher caliber would be appropriate. You're lucky that they don't have the policy that states that if you were to accept a bad check without management's approval, then that total would come out of your check. A lot of companies do that. Many times, the check machines do not automatically authorize the amount for the check right away, they just print it out for deposit and then the check has to be held to clear at a later date. I don't know of any companies that don't require management approval or held authorization for large checks as that tends to happen a lot, people writing bad checks or using checks from a suspended account, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

fedup01 in Hickman, Kentucky

87 months ago

The dollar store in Hickman is in bad shape... The manager of the store is a very mean woman. She will lie to the employees about what corporate says. She takes the schedule home and no one knows when they are suppose to work. Accuses the employees of stealing because they didn't bring in a certain amount. Gets mad if the empolyees talk to the customers.... rolls around in a backless chair all day...throws so much work on the employees and then writes them up... only hires a certain race now... tries to find reasons to fire the ones that are of wrong color...tries to keep the employess fighting all the time.... very bad place to work, I don't want to do my shopping there anymore and alot of people here in Hickman are talking about boycotting the dg....Maybe corporate will do something about her before it is too late and the brand new store goes belly up!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jareddriskill in Richmond, Virginia

86 months ago

the company culture at DG? Simple. all the employees are nothing but thieves and can not be trusted.

oh yeah, you have to do at least 15 different tasks at the same time.

good thing i graduated from college and got a real job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

sabrina2008 in Danbury, Texas

85 months ago

I recently quit working at my local Dollar General after only 1 month for the following reasons.
-A manager who was not qualified for the position. All store employees are required to sign STAR HUDDLES. I believe that the manager is supposed to explain each one in person. Ours did not. AND, if I was off on the day it was put up to be signed, she would sign it for me. After telling her not to sign my name, she continued to.
-The same manager brought her personal life into work all of the time.
-I had a friend that used to work there. When she quit, a different manager told me that she would love to slap my friend across the face.
-All managers logged onto my drawer under my number at least once a day. Then would log in under their number, making my drawer short for the night.
-My manager left all of the time. I'm not sure where she went.
-My main manager took a smoke break every 30 min. I once had a customer trying to buy a phone charger. It rang up 8.50. She told me the price said 6. I went to check, and it was. So I went on a hunt to find my manager. She was definately not in the store. I went outside to see if she was smoking. I couldn't find her. The customer changed her mind and left, leaving my drawer stuck. I couldn't find my manager to void it out, and I had a line of customers. I then saw her get out of a customers car and come inside. She was smoking and talking to that customer. I know she saw me looking for her, but still decided she could finish her cigarette. Then got mad at me for getting a void.
-The store was very dirty. If customers paid enough attention, they would find glue traps for mice behind many of the food products. There was also rat poop on shelves that hadn't been cleaned in a while. Anytime I found some, I would clean it. No one else did this apparently.
Bad store to work for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sabrina2008 in Danbury, Texas

85 months ago

fed up 01 in Hickman, Kentucky said: The dollar store in Hickman is in bad shape... The manager of the store is a very mean woman. She will lie to the employees about what corporate says. She takes the schedule home and no one knows when they are suppose to work. Accuses the employees of stealing because they didn't bring in a certain amount. Gets mad if the empolyees talk to the customers.... rolls around in a backless chair all day...throws so much work on the employees and then writes them up... only hires a certain race now... tries to find reasons to fire the ones that are of wrong color...tries to keep the employess fighting all the time.... very bad place to work, I don't want to do my shopping there anymore and alot of people here in Hickman are talking about boycotting the dg....Maybe corporate will do something about her before it is too late and the brand new store goes belly up!!!

My old D.G. manager would also take the schedule home. Very annoying! She would also schedule me for a 5 hour shift and give me a 30 minute break. Then later in the week schedule me for an 8 hour shift and give me NO break. Very annoying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anais Nin in Belle Plaine, Minnesota

85 months ago

I recently quit DG having worked there for 3 years, and must say, I would never work there again: nor would I suggest the company to anyone else.

I worked in various managerial positions, from stores to higher management: the company is quite faulty on several fronts - from a severe lack of hours given to the stores when it came to working a reasonable week, to an unbelievable stress level for management especially.

A comment made earlier about the lack of any check-in procedure upon receipt of trucks is spot on. The ensuing shrink might, or might not be in-store theft, but it's awfully hard to figure out when the trucks, often totaling well over $30,000 a time in high sales stores, are simply received on faith. Until recently, drug tests for new employees at cashier level were not mandatory, and also it has only been a recent thing to even profile someone properly via test before hiring them.

The staff you get for minimum wage are not the best, many times - and those who you hire who ARE good, will soon quit because they'd be nuts to continue working for $6.55 an hour... As a manager, you are expected to come in at all hours of the day and night to cover for employees who don't show up. Even in a fully staffed store, you will find yourself with one day off a week (very rarely do DG managers get more than one day) and bombarded with telephone calls that entire day. You have no life and one week's holiday a year.

As a higher manager, it actually gets worse. The stress level at that point is so enormous that most DG DM's are on some type of blood pressure medication, or drink too much to compensate for crazy working lives (or some other form of relaxation technique). DM's have no lives at all, from what I've seen - they can't go spend time with their families and work so hard that on occasion, they put themselves in the hospital.

Pay is as low as they can go, too. So it's just not worth it. Corporate America at it's worst, as far as I am concerned.

Anais Nin in Belle Plaine, Minnesota

85 months ago

Additionally, I have to say that the main reasons this company is so profitable is that it pays so little, and has taken so very long to upgrade systems from stone-age ones. Cutting back on everything from hours to salaries, and condensing districts into larger, more impossible to manage areas has made the company rich. That, along with slow and steady little-by-little price increases continues to make DG look terribly successful when really, it's all going to come crashing down in the next year or so, one way or another.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

jlhredhead in Mansfield, Ohio

85 months ago

Discrimination/Wrongful Termination

Complaint Rating:
Company information:
Dollar General Corp
Ashland, Ohio
United States

This is my story. In April of 08 I started out as a 3rd key on Galion Ohio. I was quickly promoted to Assistant Manager, due to my work ethic and willingness to break my back to get the job done. Later in that year I transferred to Mansfield store #4638, a store that did a third of the volume that I was used to working in, as Assistant Manager there. My fiancé (who became so after I was transferred) was still the manager at 10401, performing at the top or #2 of our district. In April 09 his store, which was first to be Model Store Certified, was chosen to become a perfect store, so for 12 days he worked 10-12 hour days, sometimes over night, hand in hand with the team from Corporate to get the remodel done. The day that it was completed we had a district managers meeting in my current store (4638). My fiancé comes out and says that he has been suspended along with another manager because they couldn’t find a paper trail from the literacy deposits in either store. No money was missing, just no paper trail. Now if you work for this corporation, you are familiar with how much pressure we have put on us to collect literacy, but it just goes in our store deposits, so he had no doubt that they would find out whatever the problem was, fix it, and reinstate him. WRONG. One week later the DM called him and the other manager into another store and fired them for “Misappropriation of Company Funds”. 1st, literacy is NOT a company fund, and 2nd, no lawyer could help them because as managers they were “at will” employees.
Meanwhile, I am still employed at Dollar General in my same position. I assumed that I would be next because by that time my fiancé and I were married, and I assumed that in the companies eyes, my still being there would be a conflict of interest. I inquired a few times but my DM assured me that he had no doubt that I would be a

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

company, and that he had such big plans for me, and that he wanted me in my own store as soon as possible. One week before I was moved to my own store in Ashland #6729, I caught an employee who admitted to stealing at least $1750 from our store alone (she had transferred in from 2 other stores in our district). I then was promoted to Store Manager of store #6729 on May 22, 09. When I got there the store had been without a manager for about 2 ½ months, so it was 8 plan-o-grams behind, and just a mess. The Assistant Manager who has been there 5 years still cannot do a MAAP, and both the Asst. and Lead forced balanced their tills at the end of the night, just sticking any extra monies in an office drawer. Then if they were ever over that’s what they could pull from. The Asst. informed me that it just got to the point that when things were short, there was never any money in the little “till”. I tried to put a stop to this because I knew the extra money was going in someone’s pocket, but up to the day that I left for Managers School in Columbus OH, she was still bringing me her till to count with the forced slip on top. The day before I left for school I had made it clear that policies and procedures would be followed, or I would start the counseling process. My third key turned in her keys and walked off of her shift that day.
I started school on 6/15/09 after calling my DM (JIM HIKE), and making him aware of what had happened, and also alerting him that on my weekly statement it showed me short $500+ on a day two weeks prior, and that I was concerned because I had no record of this. It was also a day when my main printer was down, and that my credit/EBT machine was replaced on that side. His response was for me to take the statements to the school and maybe the instructor could explain it. In the meantime I had figured out that it was just that my EBT and credit card deposit had not hit that day. Will add page 3

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

When I called to inform Jim of this for 2 days straight, he would not answer or return my calls.
Yesterday 6/19/09, at the end of my day of class, I was called out and told that I had a visitor. It was Jim Hike and the area Loss Prevention guy, Terry Serb. I was told that before I came to my store, there were NEVER, any transaction voids, and that he had gotten a report yesterday on me that I had done several 8-9, in the last several weeks. I told them that I had not done anything fraudulent because I have the logs from other keys having had to do them as well. Of course I couldn’t remember the details on each receipt, so Terry proceeds to tell me they already know everything except the why. He wanted me to admit to stealing whatever the amount came too, and then just be done with me. Now this store has no camera system, which I have begged for, so there is no way for me, or for that matter, them, to prove or disprove any wrong doing. I wrote a statement for them saying that I would willfully participate in any investigation, and that I felt that I was being discriminated against because I am the wife of a terminated previous manager.
This company has so many fishy practices, and they hide behind the “AT WILL” statement that we all sign at the beginning of our employee handbooks. My husband lost a $3000 bonus and 40 hours vacation. The other manager lost the same. When Terry was done reading my statement (I don’t believe that he knew that I was married to a former employee) he then said that he thought he would have to suspend me.
I have been nothing but faithful to this company, even after all that has happened. I would state under oath that I had nothing to do with any false anything. I find it strange that Dollar General employees a District Manager, who owns a bar that is stocked with Dollar General property, who patronizes and lives with known addicts, and the head is turned the other way. The company car sits in the front of that bar EVERY night.
I want m

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Continued PART 4 of 4

I want my position back, I want my vacation back, I want my STARS reward (for the arrest of an employee who stole enough to get arrested for a felony) and I want an apology. Any questions or comments you can email me at jlhredhead@yahoo.com. Any one involved with the company, I welcome your calls or correspondence.

Sincerely,

Jessica Baker

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

msuandie in Charleston, West Virginia

84 months ago

I work part time at a local DG. I applied in May (for a summer job BTW) and I was hired a week into July. When I work, I am not only the main cashier (9x out of 10...the only one), I stock shelves, unload deliveries, get carts out of the parking lot and about 20 other things. Typically, there is only 3 people working in the store at any time. Once, it was just me and my SM for 6 hours. ( Needless to say, not much was done. ) Only because I am trying to pay for college do I still have this job. I have 2 more weeks to work...and am counting down the hours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Hi, Benn ther done ALL of that, and I am much wiser now! I have called every department that exists, and have just recently found out the correct places that I have should have been calling. 1st, if you look in the back of the Code of Ethical Conduct book (in the new employee packets if you don't have one) there are several numbers that you can call about unfair treatment etc., and also you can call the ERC. They have been recently outsourced, so make sure that they understand that your issues are with your DM, and that you don't want him or her emailed, you want your issue to be looked in to by the appropriate supervisor. DON"T worry about retaliation, the "new" way at DG, Corporate dosen't take kindly to that. Since I have been terminated, I made such a stink about ALL of the wrong doings and the unethical conduct of my DM ( I emailed everyone a 5 page letter about ALL of it to EVERYONE from the VP of DG down, they have really been watching that they do things according to policy) If you can't be proved to be stealing, they have to drop it and by making a complaint to the proper people, they will. GOOD LUCK

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

gma_nae in Somewhere In, Iowa

81 months ago

jlhredhead in Mansfield, Ohio said: Continued PART 4 of 4

I want my position back, I want my vacation back, I want my STARS reward (for the arrest of an employee who stole enough to get arrested for a felony) and I want an apology. Any questions or comments you can email me at jlhredhead@yahoo.com. Any one involved with the company, I welcome your calls or correspondence.

Sincerely,

Jessica Baker

Wow....Having been unemployed for 6 weeks; I was offered a part time position with DG in mid-July and gladly accepted what ever hours they could give me. I was offered 3rd approximately 3 weeks into the job and it being full time with a raise once I had completed my training I was excited. Here we are into October and I am working fulltime still at status of parttime and the raise? Well I have given up on seeing that anytime soon....especially since I started doing research on DG and most of the forums have very negative forums and very few positive experiences. This saddens me since I love what I am doing and I love working with my coworkers.....I am truly torn....do I continue to work for a company that has no regards for good employees and live on a shoe string wage or should I find employment elsewhere and turn in my keys?
Man this forum and others that I have found in other websites has become soooo discouraging.....Any suggestions?????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

stlouisman in St Louis Area, Illinois

81 months ago

GMA_Nae in Somewhere In, Iowa said: Wow....Having been unemployed for 6 weeks; I was offered a part time position with DG in mid-July and gladly accepted what ever hours they could give me. I was offered 3rd approximately 3 weeks into the job and it being full time with a raise once I had completed my training I was excited. Here we are into October and I am working fulltime still at status of parttime and the raise? Well I have given up on seeing that anytime soon....especially since I started doing research on DG and most of the forums have very negative forums and very few positive experiences. This saddens me since I love what I am doing and I love working with my coworkers.....I am truly torn....do I continue to work for a company that has no regards for good employees and live on a shoe string wage or should I find employment elsewhere and turn in my keys?
Man this forum and others that I have found in other websites has become soooo discouraging.....Any suggestions?????

I just started as a Store Manager for Dollar General and I too am very excited about the opportunity. I know there is good/bad within ALL companies and I am not going in blind about it, but it is very discouraging as I am relying on a paycheck to care for my family. I personally think that if you love your coworkers, you enjoy the customers, then the rest will come to you. I know it sounds cliche and corny to say it, but everything happens for a reason. Times are tough..but the reality is I am still blessed for what I DO have. Just be strong and smart about it. If it is what you enjoy do not give up on it - get in contact with the right people to make it happen for yourself. I was raised to know that "Misery loves Company". If you think about customer service - you are usually getting complaints and not compliments from them. :) Same thing applies to reading opinions of others. Just do what feels right for you and your family.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Unfortunately, this company does not stand behind anything that it tells you. They are not out to protect you or reward you for your back breaking work. Give it 3 months and you will begin to see the back stabbing that goes on. Upper management will use you as their fall guy, especially if something goes wrong. Can't say I didn't warn you.
My lawyer is dealing with 9 fired store managers in this area alone, all wrongfully terminated.

longtimemgr in smalltown

81 months ago

I have been with DG for more than 15 years. Although it is a challenge, it is not a bad job. It does depend on the people you are directly under. If you go in as manager, then do something to change things. I have always been told if you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem. I know there are some bad managment members out there, but there is also a survey on peoples receipts. If people will call and give honest remarks then maybe something will be done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Squishy in Branson, Missouri

81 months ago

I have worked at DG since August of this year and so far I am not impressed. Its a far cry better than where I was Working (fast food) but it still is a very strange place to work for. THe "corporate" rules sometimes sound a bit ridiculous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

gma_nae in Somewhere In, Iowa

80 months ago

I have been with DG since July of this year. I have to admit that when I first started I had my doubts with all of the corporate policies that seemed to be direct slams against current employees, however I am now 3rd key holder and recently had a shrink training meeting and it opened my eyes and I understand now the reason for such policies. Amazing the things people can come up with in finding ways to cheat and steal from ones employer. I must admit that I could use more hours or a raise, but I am thankful for having a job which is more than some people can say with this economy and all of the plant closings in this area. Anyway it has its bad days but for the most part they are good. I guess it all depends upon the people you work with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

some unbiased guy in Manchester, Pennsylvania

80 months ago

I have worked for a few major retailers, and I hear the same thing everytime. So don't get discouraged with any negativity, because the real truth is that when people are happy they tend not to let others know about it. It will be upto you how you enjoy your experience. I have had horrible managers in my past but I loved the work. So I did something about it, I became the manager and I lead my associates according to the golden rule. We have fun and we get the work done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Ohmanager in Willoughby, Ohio

79 months ago

I'm a former DG employee that left to manage for a different discount chain. Unfortunately all the posts I've read about several chains are very similar. Sadly, hardwork and loyalty don't carry much weight with the suits who profit from our sweat and sacrifices. They consider us to be "disposable minions".

Rebazillek, I was wondering if your store is located in Hickory Hills. If so we might have info that would be of interest to each other.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

storeassociate in Ranger, Georgia

79 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Dollar General?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Dollar General?

I love working for Dollar General. In our store we wear yellow polo shirts and black jeans. Recently we were given aprons with a pink energizer bunny which has lead to humorous conversations between employees and customers who "remember their batteries". We have a store manager, two assistant store managers, one third key, and four cashiers including me..all with a positive attitude. We care about our customers because they are our neighbors and friends. As a store associate a typical day is running the cash register, helping customers find items, putting up misplaced items, dusting, bringing in carts, sweeping sidewalk, emptying trash, sweeping and mopping floor, refilling cooler, refilling bag area, clean doors, restrooms, and break area, sign for mail, stock merchandise, front and recover, breakdown boxes. The hardest of all this is letting someone else count down my drawer at the end of the day. On the negative side, one thing that has dampened my spirits is our district manager doesn't approve of our store. It is implied he has issues with our store manager. I personally think he is a great manager, and I know we are all there working our asses off and WE KNOW WE HAVE DONE A DAMN GOOD JOB..just sucks that we can't get his POSITIVE feedback.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

gurpreetmankoo in Bombay, India

79 months ago

Hi guys. Does anyone know whom to contact to start supplying goods to Dollar General?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Rob

78 months ago

This is also a problem in Georgia it seems that if there is a need to fill for the holidays they get you in then fire you for any inconcievable reason like conflict of interest if you hire someone that you ..know ? This company is headed for a slow and deliberate failure due to law suits and unfair employment practices...

Lega36cy in Platteville, Wisconsin said: I may be jaded, but I don't see it happening.
I would say follow protocal by speaking to your manager, then your district manager, an so on. If you overstep your bounds, it would be cause for dismissal.
I too loved working for DG, but it wasn't in gods hands to keep me there. I see it as I was there for a reason, only god see why. I only see it as I was a means to an end to fill an empty position during the rush holiday season.
They can terminate you for any reason or no reason at all. Your an AT will employee. So if you cause problems...(your transfer)
you may find yourself without a job, no matter how hard you work.
Sorry, I wish I had some good news for you, but I don't. See my posts above for more info on my upset with the co.
take care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.