What's the company culture at Dollar General?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 335)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

Ria1219

57 months ago

evidently you could not perform your job duties correctly and maybe you juse weren't what he thoght you were capable of. Unless you have had several years of retail management experience, you probably weren't up to par. I have hired people that I thought could catch on and jump right in, but, alas, it usually doesn't happen unless they have prior experience. ASM is a big job and it's not easy. My ASM is my right hand, my assistant, my reminder, my "secretary" LOL, she knows everything there is to know, which encompasses a HUGE list of things. One can usually tell in a week or two if they can cut it or not. it takes a strong team to run a good store. Sorry, hate to burst your bubble.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Anais Nin in Mankato, Minnesota

57 months ago

Ria1219 said: evidently you could not perform your job duties correctly and maybe you juse weren't what he thoght you were capable of. Unless you have had several years of retail management experience, you probably weren't up to par. I have hired people that I thought could catch on and jump right in, but, alas, it usually doesn't happen unless they have prior experience. ASM is a big job and it's not easy. My ASM is my right hand, my assistant, my reminder, my "secretary" LOL, she knows everything there is to know, which encompasses a HUGE list of things. One can usually tell in a week or two if they can cut it or not. it takes a strong team to run a good store. Sorry, hate to burst your bubble.

I seriously doubt that! I was a DM for DG for some time and saw a large number of good people get driven into the ground by responsibilities way beyond their job descriptions. This company will literally run you until you have a heart attack. Even in middle management, it was impossible to make a change in company attitude regarding that. You can be a fantastic manager or assistant manager and still not "do well" with DG because - here's the secret - they don't really care if you do or not. Just as long as the stores are up to par, have almost no hours logged and are making money with little shrink, the employees can all be on blood pressure medication and losing their families. "Collateral damage" I think is the term - it's another way to say "we're going to make as much money off you as conceivably possible at the expense of your health, your sanity and even your life." This is why the divide between the rich and poor is growing ever larger day by day.

Even in this current climate, I'd never recommend DG to ANYONE. In terms of a corporation, it's one of the most physically and mentally taxing on its employees around. This isn't a challenge, folks - it's a health risk. And I left of my own volition!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sundown in Watsontown, Pennsylvania

57 months ago

I have to agree with Anais, perhaps it depends on the division your in, and who your DM is, and how much they are willing to stick their neck out in defense of their people; their GOOD people that is, along with the store manager(s). But I have seen some of what you describe. I have to agree there were/are times when the expecations are unrealistic. I'm no dummy either, I hold an MBA, therefore, I have a pretty good foundation on what is real, what isn't, and what should be expected. This is not my first job in retail either. The last company I worked for all the managers were always grumpy and edgy. Not a good sign. I think all the stores would do well to pay cashiers and support teams better, then they would take their jobs more seriously, (as some don't), and employees would stick around longer. As far as the health issues, I have to agree there too, however, as you did, we all have to take responsibility for our own health and piece of mind and know when to say "enough is enough." Yes the job market is tough, but NO job is worth risking your health for...unless you're in the armed forces! But, that's a personal choice with any job! Initially, I was interested in supervisory positions, however, because of the long hours and physical demands this would implicate, I would be unable to fulfill the duties expected of me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

As a DM, I would stick my neck out all the time for good people - the problem is, even as DMs, there isn't much power to be had over the company ethics. There are good people in higher positions, too - the problem is, they're overrun by people wanting to make a profit, who continually ignore the wellbeing of their staff. If there are happy people in DG, I would say it is because they are being protected from fallout somewhere along the hierarchy above by someone who is taking considerable stress and probably making themselves sick doing so.

The point is, companies do not NEED to function this way. Thankfully, this country is still the home of many firms (most of whom are smaller businesses) who treat their employees with respect and do not "pass the buck" as far as health is concerned, because sure, it's every person's individual responsibility to protect his or her own health, but in the current economic environment, most people will allow themselves to be run over to keep their families in a home. As a large employer, it should be DG's responsibility to make sure they are treating their people properly. That's just humanity!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Anais Nin in Mankato, Minnesota said: As a DM, I would stick my neck out all the time for good people - the problem is, even as DMs, there isn't much power to be had over the company ethics. There are good people in higher positions, too - the problem is, they're overrun by people wanting to make a profit, who continually ignore the wellbeing of their staff. If there are happy people in DG, I would say it is because they are being protected from fallout somewhere along the hierarchy above by someone who is taking considerable stress and probably making themselves sick doing so.

The point is, companies do not NEED to function this way. Thankfully, this country is still the home of many firms (most of whom are smaller businesses) who treat their employees with respect and do not "pass the buck" as far as health is concerned, because sure, it's every person's individual responsibility to protect his or her own health, but in the current economic environment, most people will allow themselves to be run over to keep their families in a home. As a large employer, it should be DG's responsibility to make sure they are treating their people properly. That's just humanity!

Once again, I agree with you on ALL counts. I have parroting the very same thing as you in that; "companies do not need to function in this way!" And I do agree that corporations as large as DG should treat their most valuable resources far better than they do..their mentality is almost archaic..no wait, IS archaic. I was hoping what yo usaid is true, that their are good and intelligent people high up on the totem pole, alas, you say only to get bits in their mouths when they try and save a ship that is destined to sink should they not change their perspective and ethics. DG has so much potential should it desire to grow and evolve in so many ways and directions. And why is this? Because these economic times beg for innovation and creative thinking and entrpeneurship.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

I agree with you, Sundown. Let's hope that there's a fundamental shift in business policy in the near future - unlikely as that might be...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Padr49904 in Waynesville, Missouri

56 months ago

I have worked at Dollar General for 3 days, 2 at the main store and the third at loan at another store. Dollar General will use you if you are new or inexperienced to take all the falls for their store. While at loan I was accused of stealing money and apparently for getting reprimanded multiple times for using my phone while there were people waiting to check out. None of this stuff happened, the manager was in training and was probably the one stealing money and is using me to save his butt, he just sat in the office the entire time and used his phone and I am pretty sure they were personal phone calls. I am actually going to quit immediately because if they accuse me of stealing money once I know they will do it again, I don't think I can work at a store that will accuse me of stealing. It probably doesn't help that most people that work at the store aren't really that educated and managers and other people feel they can take advantage of them, I am almost done with college with a degree in Psychology and it isn't actually that hard to see that people are manipulated all over the store. Do not work at Dollar General whatever you do, people at the store nearest me are on average working about a month before getting fired or just quitting. Everyone I have talked to has told me that they quit after false accusations and unbearable working conditions. There may actually be good people in the higher reaches of the store but apparently most people that actually work in the store are rather retarded and like blaming other people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

I appreciate your comments Waynesville, and no one will get away with that with me either, or get over one me. What goes around comes around, I am a strong believer in Karma, and an all-seeing God who is always on the side of the honest and hard-working persons(s). Sorry you went thru this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

roger2bad in Opp, Alabama

56 months ago

trina rose in Carpentersville, Illinois said: I recently quit DG for numerous reasons, one i was promised my own sore within 3 months i went through the store manager 2 week training course and was certified its been 6 months and still no store of my own, they had me traveling everywhere to fill in for others, and because of this my car is now dead, they never gave me store manager pay, they never gave me my reimbursement for gas miles, when i was first hired with the company i was informed that new stores were being built so i would be able to get my own, and my raise, which i needed badly well that never happened instead i was told months later that no stores are being opened and everyone is fully staffed so here i was full time status with no work or hours for weeks, another thing when my daughter got sick i was told to bring her to work with me, when i needed to take her to the hospital instead, im sorry but my children come first, needless to say i did not work that day...ive had nothing but problems with this company, they always screwed up on my checks..and now i have a check for a whole 7 hours i worked last week, that they are holding, because this bitter store manager claims i still have her store keys, ( i absolutely do not have)...so now here i am jobless, carless, cant affors daycare or any bills for that matter.I would never suggest anyone ever work for this company....or shop there for that matter the quality of the product from my experience is bad.,
sincerly,
T.R.

i was also promised a store. i am in the smc training as well. the recruiter promised me what i was making at my other job. i was making 800.00 a week being manager at freds. when i got there they only paid me 11.00 per hour i am not getting 40 hrs i am classified as a asst manager. if i had known i would have never have went to work for them

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Is there more of a problem in some states than in others? Does it depend on district? Region? I work with a good crew for the most part; there are some who have come and gone that are pretty scary critters! The job works for me because I only desire part-time, as I have other projects on the back-burner as far as home-based businesses..I also have skills to hone for marketing consultancy; I have an MBA in marketing. I know I could not do what my manager or assist. manager does due to time constraints, physical limits, and family demands. I do feel twinges of guilt by not taking a key, (not that it was offered, they know I am not a candidate), but only to feel as if I am taking some weight off their shoulders. I just try and do the best I can when I am there for my co-workers and customers. Its all I can do. Sorry for all your troubles Alabama and Illinois!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

berdiejoy32@*****.*** in Pittsboro, Indiana

56 months ago

6/24/11
Here I am again; fighting this company has taken all my strength and confidence away. Maybe that is what they want. To have people under their thumb. I did win my case, yet I still have to fight tooth and nail to get anything done.As I said before, think hard and long before you go to work for this company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

nottheloneranger1959 in holden, Missouri

56 months ago

Anais Nin in Mankato, Minnesota said: I seriously doubt that! I was a DM for DG for some time and saw a large number of good people get driven into the ground by responsibilities way beyond their job descriptions. This company will literally run you until you have a heart attack. Even in middle management, it was impossible to make a change in company attitude regarding that. You can be a fantastic manager or assistant manager and still not "do well" with DG because - here's the secret - they don't really care if you do or not. Just as long as the stores are up to par, have almost no hours logged and are making money with little shrink, the employees can all be on blood pressure medication and losing their families. "Collateral damage" I think is the term - it's another way to say "we're going to make as much money off you as conceivably possible at the expense of your health, your sanity and even your life." This is why the divide between the rich and poor is growing ever larger day by day.

Even in this current climate, I'd never recommend DG to ANYONE. In terms of a corporation, it's one of the most physically and mentally taxing on its employees around. This isn't a challenge, folks - it's a health risk. And I left of my own volition!

god bless you for being honest! they bite their nose to spite their face,s when they treat people like crap!good people

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

god bless people for being honest! dollar general will spit their face to bite their nose! i had no over turn with my team. they have been threw 25-30 people since me and my team are all gone! call that profit lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

nottheloneranger1959 in holden, Missouri said: god bless people for being honest! dollar general will spit their face to bite their nose! i had no over turn with my team. they have been threw 25-30 people since me and my team are all gone! call that profit lol

spite their face! i get so upset when i even think about how wrong they have done me and my team!i loved my job and they took so much from me and my family. and my team will it ever stop? god i pray

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

amen!

Concerned Wife in Fort Worth, Texas

56 months ago

Well, I see that the store my husband works at isn't the only one having extreme problems and not the only state with DG store problems. He is a third key and the only raise after a year that he has received is when he was promoted to third key. Their store had a horrible manager who after my husband and finally every employee in the store making multiple complaints and signed statements to the DM and RM finally, finally after months of sexual harassment and verbal abuse she subjected the employees to she was fired. Yeah ok, the higher ups still haven't gotten the store back into order like they have continually promised. The store is small and the ex-manager hadn't done any work for at least 9 months even threw away months worth of plan-o-grams and the extreme back stock issue can only be fixed by shipping it out to other stores that can use it; DM and RM keep promising (been months of promising)they are having the back stock transferred out but that still hasn't happened. The head over operations Kathleen has been in this store multiple times promising "this and that" help the company is going to get for them and how the company is going to help the store out. B... S...t! Dollar General is only good at blowing smoke up peoples a...s. The workers are not even paid and industry average for this area they are paid several dollars less for the positions and work entailed. My husband likes the people he works with, they have a good crew. Yet he is trying to find other decent employment because the company has a "use and abuse" mentality that is not good for customers or employees. I think it is sad that a company that makes so much money treats it's employees so horribly. One would think that the company would realize they would make even more money if they treated and paid their employees properly. I hate seeing companies go under now days but this is one that needs to go under because of how horrible they are they don't deserve to stay in business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

amen! you said it ! it is trueley sad they way they even let their dm treat people...............they all go to cock sucker school for their training

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

i believe they send their DM,S TO COCK SUCKER SCHOOL! THEY WAY THEY TREAT THEIR PEOPLE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Anais Nin in Mankato, Minnesota said: I seriously doubt that! I was a DM for DG for some time and saw a large number of good people get driven into the ground by responsibilities way beyond their job descriptions. This company will literally run you until you have a heart attack. Even in middle management, it was impossible to make a change in company attitude regarding that. You can be a fantastic manager or assistant manager and still not "do well" with DG because - here's the secret - they don't really care if you do or not. Just as long as the stores are up to par, have almost no hours logged and are making money with little shrink, the employees can all be on blood pressure medication and losing their families. "Collateral damage" I think is the term - it's another way to say "we're going to make as much money off you as conceivably possible at the expense of your health, your sanity and even your life." This is why the divide between the rich and poor is growing ever larger day by day.

THEY PUT ME IN THE HOSPITAL THREE TIMES! THEY WILL RUN YOU TO THE GROUND

berdiejoy in Danville, Indiana

56 months ago

I read where "Rick" Dreiling recieved a big raised i this month. I can not even get them to pay for my miles(I was hurt on the job). How sad that a company such as this treats their employee's this way . I have to beg foe every thing.
Mr."Rick" Dreiling I want you to come walk in my shoes now that I am totally disabled.
Come and beg your company to pay me the measly 500 back milage they owe me please.

kevin423 in anytown, Alabama

56 months ago

I've been with the company for several years now i though I've seen it all! after setting myself apart and trying to prove myself has been in vain the company decided or should i say our DM for this district decided to move a stocker to a key position a stocker that has been working the store for only 2 yrs maybe less ! I've gone to different store's in my area to do things my DM asked without question i worked my butt off at my store without being told how much my hard work meant to them I've been at that location longer than most and been through 3 managers,3 asst managers and 2 third key's during that time i did everything in my power to keep the store up and i would like to think my being there kept some of our regular customers coming back. today might as well be my last day after putting up with the daily crap there i have come to the conclusion that it's not worth it any more . my store is number 10028 in Alexander city AL . i no longer care who See's my post on here the DM has told me he knows i post on here the company talks about the employee's about integrity but i don't see corporate having any of their own it's the little guy that stock's runs a register and greets the customer that makes dollar general what it is not the regional not the district manager not even the store manager it's all the little peon's that work under them that do ! maybe one day the head honchos up in corporate will see that......

56 months ago

kevin the uper management DOES NOT CARE! trust me i used the open door policy and it did nothing but hurt me! i was slammed by dm for useing the chain of command. run kevin run! they put me in the hospital three times. god bless you and allwho still work,s for dollar general

56 months ago

good luck ! all dollar general employee,s are only a number! it,s so sad. i hope you get what,s comeing to you. most of all i pray dollar general will pay!

nofoolnomore in Charlottesville, Virginia

56 months ago

you are exactly right. i was a manager for 2.5 years and i had a perfect personell record and got fired on the word of one lousy person. my store was two weeks ahead on all work except the daily wind and grind. but that didnt matter. my health went way downhill, i lost over 70 pounds in no time. and no one cared. they tried to knock me out of my unemployment but was given it by the ui appeals examiner when the dm outright acknowledged that she fired me with no evidence soley on the word of asm. the asm wanted my job, but as karma goes, she got bit in the but and failed the mgr test. they have been thru four managers now in less than a year, and are on the fifth one, one who is a close freind of asm.

hellomrnasty in Somewhere, Illinois

56 months ago

dgwhite in bristol, Florida said: i've worked for dg for over 4yrs. 3yrs are as store manager.. my crew and myself bust our butts every day. my store is a 2mil. store our inventory was a .87% this year and last year it was 1.13. i average about 200 hours a week and 1500 pieces a week..one thing is true pay sucks for the females i know because i'm one of them.. our store stays clean and well stocked every day..trucks are put up in 36 hours of delievery. but my store is a reflection of me.. so everyone is right it depends on store managers because they are the ones to set the pace.i dont ask my employees to do anything that i don't do myself and yes i have to fight for all of there raises and merit raises when i can get them and they don't start out at min.wage.. it has its pros and cons.. but when bonus time rolls around i'm laughing all the way to the bank... and i give my crew a part of my bonus's as well..you take care of your crew and they will take care of you...

I have recently applied for an SM position. I have been intervied once by phone, once in person by the DM, and have anohter set up with the DM and Rm together next week. I have a few qeustions for you. How many days a week do you work? How many hours do you work a week? How much time do you get to spend with your family? How are the benefits? How much vacation time do get? What is the base salary? How much are the bonuses? A lot of people have posted things about the company saying that it is a terrible place to workand that it really has not much care or respect for its SM's or other hourly employees for that matter. How would you rebutle against all the bad comments, or do you have some bad to say as well. How would you describe there comments? I need to know for families sake what to expect and what I'm getting into?.

56 months ago

Has anybody else had a problem with the new polices concerning recover of the store? my manager told all of us the new procedures and i looked at her like she was nut's i expressed my concerns about how it would make the store look and how the customers would react to the changes personally i think it would make the store look like crap and I've been drilled about hourly recover of the store in the passed several years and now this change. at this point i think the folks up in corporate have lost their sense's to have a poll to find out what the customer thinks and to have it come back saying they don't care how the store looks there's something really wrong there ?A neat store is a shopped store,a clean store means a high customer sale's and bigger basket sizes, a messy store has higher shrink and lower sale's and a staff that doesn't care is that what we want corporate should ask that question to its board of directors and regional and district manager's....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

nofoolnomore in Bassett, Virginia

56 months ago

what is the new policy and procedure for recovery.

55 months ago

My manager told us that it came down in the store mail instead of pulling everything forward and fronting now were to push everything back and leave a small facing in the front of the shelf i thought the whole idea was to make a wall of product according to the facing's now were doing something called blocking ? if you didn't get this info in your store mail you'll need to look what they are telling us to do will make the stores appearance look like crap and the customer's will see the difference in any case i was trained in the old ways and if i have anything to say about it it will stay that way...

55 months ago

Well, it is my understanding that only the goods that get "stacked" get pushed back instead of fronted, I personally like it better because it makes for easier and faster recovery, and we as well as the customers won't be knocking stuff down anymore!Also, we start the evening recovery at 6pm rather than 4 pm, but I will do that thruout the day/shift if things look really disorderly and/or as time allows..

the dudeman77 in Mineville, New York

55 months ago

I took the assessment test for a store managing position in Port Henry, NY this morning and I am curious about the results of it. Will I ever find out the results, and how long should it take to hear something about it? I strongly believe that I did an amazing job on the test, but sense there was not a pass/fail report I can only wonder. So is there anybody who can help me with this? Thanks

The Dudeman77

MrFuzzy in Somewhere, Virginia

55 months ago

This is where i wanted to post ... So I've been with company for bout 1 year 4 months...At first it was awesome job they hired me at 8 dollars an hour(due to my massive amount of experience) which i know 8 dollars is not much but i was jobless at the time and had been for 6 months so just getting back into the workforce i was happy. I started as a simple Stocker working 14 to 18 hours a week of course i wanted more and so i received within a month i was up to 32 hours a week running register and stocking and back stock all the fun stuff ... So i was told that my store was the training store and i had the best store to move up in... which was a plus...after a while of busting my butt i say 3 months i was told i will get a raise and a promotion to a new position of back room manager lol cause i literally got rid of so much back stock so bout 2 months later I finally got my raise of 50 cents which made me happy... then they hired a new girl and Bam she is training for ASM and Bam she becomes one... needless to say after bout 3 months of her working there she quit ...but still i was like uhhhh i want that job but then i was told we would have to stay open till 10 to be able to have 2 ASM at our store... so i was like -_- anyways i finally get offered 3rd key i was like yay more money and this was around thanksgiving so they was like i need to take a Drug test and then i would get my raise ... i was ok but i was handed the keys of the store around January still haven't took a Drug Test nor have i got a raise so i was starting to get ticked then our other 3rd key goes on Pregnancy leave... and they hired this younger girl than me that has NO experience Managing and makes her 3rd key ... while im some what a third key at the time just never took a drug test or gotten my raise lol So now im getting frustrated anyways this new 3rd key girl i mean is just DUMB she will have her boyfriend come in the store and just talk to her everytime me and her are working together ..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cpincharleston in Conyers, Georgia

55 months ago

Lega36cy in Platteville, Wisconsin said: Count me in if you figure it out!

Count me in I've got some issues on paper

missgrl

54 months ago

I have worked for Dollar General for almost a year now, and the rules for which corporate have set for me to work in are just plain stupid (for lack of a better word). I stock as well as work the register. The other day my manager called a meeting for all employees. As I sat and listened to what she had to say, I got increasingly upset. In a nutshell, the employees (all employees) are looked upon as thieves. We are to have our purses checked when leaving the store, we are not allowed to take food or drink out (that we paid for with a receipt) out of the store after it closes. Let's take a look at the picture, I know Dollar General is not without thieving employees (managers to workers), but they don't see the amount of merchandise leaving that store unpaid for by the customers. I am a college student, and I have a crazy schedule with family, school, and work. This electronic schedule that corporate has so graciously bestowed upon us is also stupid. My hours will be cut according to the guidelines governing the schedule. Now lets get on the working conditions, my manager really does nothing but walk around the store and dictate, she does not really help with any stock on stockdays, and has told us that we are required to put out 1 1/2 rolltainers an HOUR in a 5 hour period. This is WITHOUT HER HELP!! Our stock ranges from 1000 to 1500 pieces a stock day, we get it out with only 3 people working. A cashier has to now get out 4 totes of overstock an hour. For anyone who is a cashier at Dollar General, this is nearly impossible when customers are constantly checking out and you are the only cashier. When I need a help, I have to call the manager or asst. manager to help, that means me running around the store trying to locate; because, most of the time they don't have the phone on them. I make 7.45 per hour and the work I do is not worth the time and stress, and corporate needs a reality check!!

54 months ago

The new computer schdeduler: I have personally used this system at food lion. It can be manipulated as to what management wants it to be. Managers will use the computer as the excuse as to why you didnt get that many hours. I say stick to the pencil and paper when making a schedule. as for dollar general, they are abusers of employees and always will be. there is no reality check for dollar general. the only reality check they need but will not happpen is if the store is boycotted by customers in every state it is located in. the other things is a good lawyer who is willing to step up and fight for employees rights in the workplace. i havent found one of those yet and doubt that i will. if there was away to get someone to listen to what has happened to people that has worked at dg and is still working at dg, i would step up and lead. i read every day and hear everyday of someone being done wrong by dg. but hey, if you like to steal, and lie you will be ok and be able to keep your job. that is the lesson i have learned. good employees get fired and reputation ruined without any evidence. do not ever sign anything they want you to sign, dont ever write any statements about anything. dont ever tell what is happening in your store, if you see someone stealing, let them have it, dont say anything. dispute resolution is one sided. they are not on your side. managers will give their total life and family up just to make a dollar. if you are a good manager, they will use policy and procedure to ruin you. they only us p&p to benefit themselves. have a great day.

54 months ago

kevin423 in anytown, Alabama said: My manager told us that it came down in the store mail instead of pulling everything forward and fronting now were to push everything back and leave a small facing in the front of the shelf i thought the whole idea was to make a wall of product according to the facing's now were doing something called blocking ? if you didn't get this info in your store mail you'll need to look what they are telling us to do will make the stores appearance look like crap and the customer's will see the difference in any case i was trained in the old ways and if i have anything to say about it it will stay that way...

dg is way behind the other fortune 500 companies in everything mainly technology. all other stores have been doing this recovery procedures for years. and other stores is labor intergrated. stockers stock, cashiers ring, managers delegate, so on. wonder when dg will figure this one out.

54 months ago

Ria1219 said: evidently you could not perform your job duties correctly and maybe you juse weren't what he thoght you were capable of. Unless you have had several years of retail management experience, you probably weren't up to par. I have hired people that I thought could catch on and jump right in, but, alas, it usually doesn't happen unless they have prior experience. ASM is a big job and it's not easy. My ASM is my right hand, my assistant, my reminder, my "secretary" LOL, she knows everything there is to know, which encompasses a HUGE list of things. One can usually tell in a week or two if they can cut it or not. it takes a strong team to run a good store. Sorry, hate to burst your bubble.

i agree knowledge is power. i gave my knowledge to my assistant and it wasnt long until she thought she could do my job better than me and the next thing i know i am being fired with no evidence as to what i supposedly done. but she didnt know one thing, the managers test. she failed it!!! dont ever give all your knowledge away.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cp01 in charleston, South Carolina

54 months ago

I would , I'm thinking of it myself ..... I was an ASM . I went on vacation and the day b4 I left I got wrote up...b4 I came back from vacation they called me.on the phone.&. Fired me

54 months ago

i know someone else who that has just happened to. can someone tell if it is legal to be fired on the phone and not be clocked in and told in person with a exit interview by dm? i am doing research on this. if anyone has any lawyers who would be interested in a class action lawsuit please leave a comment on here. its not for me only but for all the people who have been physically, mentally and verbally abused, wrongfulled terminated, lied about and lost thier jobs.

54 months ago

I am fortunate that my immediate superiors are good people, too good for their own good perhaps. Yes, this company is behind and backwards in the way they expect things to get done. The team we have NOW where I work bend over backwards to try and make things work together. I am just a cashier, so I got it "easy" compared to the MOD's. My heart goes out to my managers because the upper echelons are never seem satisfied with how well the store is run, or how hard anyone tries. They are too ignorant to realize that if you fry good people, your company is destined to fry along with it, or at best lose its shine. There are alot of good things abou the company, and having an MBA myself has taught me to recognize whats good and whats bad about a thing in a company. I am not in a position to see what goes on at the top, but what I do know is that the marketing, innovation as far as product, price, and promotion is great...their HR needs a huge overhaul or their HR person needs to enlighten his/her constituents. The stores need more people, they need to pay them more, they need to distribute the hours better, they need to give store managers more hours to work with, they need better medical coverage for EVERYONE, they need to give cashiers more autonomy at the register to save time...do you know now that we have to call a manger for price inquiries if we need to do one? We cannot do them at the register? And as far as them thinking that we are all thieves? Screw them! Maybe if you paid skilled employees better, you wouldnt end up with unskilled thieves in your stores? I dont mind doing more than just cashiering, but dont expect me to be in ten places at the same time, and do 10 different jobs in 6 hours. As a frontline person for our customers, the customers come first for me, whether the company likes it or not, I do not care. I have my integrity at stake.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

I know this company appreciates good workers, however, they need to become more astute a who they hire as regional and district heads because they are the ones who are between the upper and lower tiers of the company.

54 months ago

nofoolnomore in Charlottesville, Virginia said: i know someone else who that has just happened to. can someone tell if it is legal to be fired on the phone and not be clocked in and told in person with a exit interview by dm? i am doing research on this. if anyone has any lawyers who would be interested in a class action lawsuit please leave a comment on here. its not for me only but for all the people who have been physically, mentally and verbally abused, wrongfulled terminated, lied about and lost thier jobs.

Whether or not you can be fired by the phone I am not sure, I think that hinges on "company policy," however, as far as verbal, physical, and mental abuse goes, the legalities are very vague. There are employee laws in place,but most of the abuses you speak of are often hard to prove. All of these hinge on how they go against any one company's by-laws, statements, and policies. You can often get them on contradiction of their own policies. Many companies, however, have clauses that absolve them of many a responsibiltiy as to keeping their word or promises.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tony

54 months ago

i was wanting some imformation here i was hired into dg as a mgmt trainee went to classes and got sent to a store to train (iguess) really received no training from the manager as we never worked together( was told that the training is all done on the computer cbls) now its been a year later still no sotre to manage except the manager at the store iam at is going to get fired cause shrink was too high, i was told that i cannot be manager at that store or anywhere else cause iam part of that store that had about 70,000 in shrink just wondering what yall think and what my next steps should be ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

tony said: i was wanting some imformation here i was hired into dg as a mgmt trainee went to classes and got sent to a store to train (iguess) really received no training from the manager as we never worked together( was told that the training is all done on the computer cbls) now its been a year later still no sotre to manage except the manager at the store iam at is going to get fired cause shrink was too high, i was told that i cannot be manager at that store or anywhere else cause iam part of that store that had about 70,000 in shrink just wondering what yall think and what my next steps should be ?

If they first told you you could manage a store, trained you, and then changed their mind because of the store's problem with shrink, many companies can set whatever policies and by-laws they want. That's the beauty of free-enterprise as long as its not agianst federal laws. In you situation? I would look for something else, somewhere else. Oh, and make them put in writing why they are no longer considering you for store manager even tho they felt you once qulaified and even trained you and then changed their mind over something they couldnt prove you had anything to do with. Do you have a certificate that you were trained?

tony

54 months ago

welll i went to training for 2 weeks then got a pay raise so yes i completed the 2 week training course but there is supposed to be somekind of instore training in which i really never got because i never worked with the manager i was always closing the store down ect i told them that i never got any training with the manager and they said that its all on the computer that its like a do it yourself thing ect . I looked up the dollar gen policy on training a manager and they did not train me according to there own rules ect, also there were many times that i worked alone for 10 hours at a time cause the manager wasnt there ect no breaks ect , also they have never once told me that i wasnt doing a good job or that i need improvement , this all happened after inventory in which the shrink of the store came back really high so i guess iam being blamed for that they now have openings online for my store for a management trainee position in which i asked why ? cause i figured i would be the next inline to get the job or at least be offered the job ect , i also allpied at many different stores around me for a manager position and havent heard anything yet , but my guees is they will not give to me cause i was all ready told thats since iam from this store i cannot be a manager ect cause the shrink situation

54 months ago

one word leave...... the store has issues and since your associated with it you'll never move up asset protection will see to that whoever your district manager is i would talk to him or her if it doesn't do any good ask to transfer to another store !i work in a store that has management issues,high shrink issues and staff issue's the only reason im still there is that i need the insurance what good it does ! i worked at the DG for over 4 yrs i worked myself into a position where i now have back issues and everything I've done for that store has got me nothing but that if you think DG is going to be a career that you can count on to get the bill's paid and be something of importance to you i think you need to step back and take a hard look at your time there and decide if it was worth it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

tony

54 months ago

well i hear what yer saying my problem is with these big companies screwing us over this isnt so much as i want to be a dang manager cause i think the job sux what this is about is disrespect that what they are doing to me its plain and simple disrespect i was always taught not to let anyone disrespect you as a person and get away with it , also what iam wondering is maybe i have a lawsuit ?? being passed up in a promotion cause of things that are out of my control like the shrink in this store ect what ya think??

54 months ago

you don't have grounds for one the company See's us as replaceable if you stir thing's up you might find your hours cut and a person that works with you that hasn't been with the company that long promoted before you it happened to me you best bet is cut your losses and find something else that's may advise to you..

tony

54 months ago

roger2bad in Opp, Alabama said: i was also promised a store. i am in the smc training as well. the recruiter promised me what i was making at my other job. i was making 800.00 a week being manager at freds. when i got there they only paid me 11.00 per hour i am not getting 40 hrs i am classified as a asst manager. if i had known i would have never have went to work for them

did they have a store opening for you?? did you apply at a store at all??? iam in same position except there are stores that are open matter fact the one iam at cause the dang manager there is getting fired the guy that is supposedly training me lol

storeassociate in Ranger, Georgia

54 months ago

tony said: i was wanting some imformation here i was hired into dg as a mgmt trainee went to classes and got sent to a store to train (iguess) really received no training from the manager as we never worked together( was told that the training is all done on the computer cbls) now its been a year later still no sotre to manage except the manager at the store iam at is going to get fired cause shrink was too high, i was told that i cannot be manager at that store or anywhere else cause iam part of that store that had about 70,000 in shrink just wondering what yall think and what my next steps should be ?

I would work on getting that shrink down.

54 months ago

Tony, I woiuld take Kevin's advice and go somewhere else, I am sure the the reputation DG has doesnt stop at former employees. The only laws employees have a leg to stand on in their favor are basically these" sexual harassment(s), equal opportunity violations, and any other laws that violate the federal guidelines for pay wages, breaks, hours, family leave, etc...or safety hazards and clauses that provide options for reasonable accomodaitons which often state the option with or without. In other words, companies can opt not to provide reasonable accomodations if it interferes with job requirements. As far as "store associates" advice from Georgia, yes, there is a measure of job security in this company, and yes as long as Tony is with DG; reducing shrink would score big brownie points, however, they are consistently dissatisfied and nit-picky over impossible expectations the higher up your position is. This company make boco-bucks, however, they will lose it all in the end if they get their business head into the 21st century. And the higher up you go, it seems in some places, (regions), the more precarious you job security is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.