What's the company culture at Dollar General?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (201 to 250 of 315)
Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

store associate in Ranger, Georgia

35 months ago

tony said: i was wanting some imformation here i was hired into dg as a mgmt trainee went to classes and got sent to a store to train (iguess) really received no training from the manager as we never worked together( was told that the training is all done on the computer cbls) now its been a year later still no sotre to manage except the manager at the store iam at is going to get fired cause shrink was too high, i was told that i cannot be manager at that store or anywhere else cause iam part of that store that had about 70,000 in shrink just wondering what yall think and what my next steps should be ?

I would work on getting that shrink down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sundown in Watsontown, Pennsylvania

35 months ago

Tony, I woiuld take Kevin's advice and go somewhere else, I am sure the the reputation DG has doesnt stop at former employees. The only laws employees have a leg to stand on in their favor are basically these" sexual harassment(s), equal opportunity violations, and any other laws that violate the federal guidelines for pay wages, breaks, hours, family leave, etc...or safety hazards and clauses that provide options for reasonable accomodaitons which often state the option with or without. In other words, companies can opt not to provide reasonable accomodations if it interferes with job requirements. As far as "store associates" advice from Georgia, yes, there is a measure of job security in this company, and yes as long as Tony is with DG; reducing shrink would score big brownie points, however, they are consistently dissatisfied and nit-picky over impossible expectations the higher up your position is. This company make boco-bucks, however, they will lose it all in the end if they get their business head into the 21st century. And the higher up you go, it seems in some places, (regions), the more precarious you job security is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

they will lose it all in the end if they DON'T get their business head into the 21st century...I meant...

tony

35 months ago

well ill tell ya what they are breaking there own rules by us not being able to clock out and take a break i have worked there over a year as manager trainee and i would say 98 % of the time have not clocked out for a break cause there wasnt another manager on duty to relieve me thats one rule that has not been followed i just got into it with the dm today he called me told me that i cannot be manager of anyother stores cause of the shrink in this store ect told him iam gonna call his boss the regional next thing i know 10 minutes later he calls back asking what iam wearing i said black shorts like i always do in the summer he said iam not in dress code and thats a warning , i said i have worked with him many times wearing these shorts ect and he never said anything plus i told him i got the idea of wearing the shorts from going with him to other stores to fix things and the other gys was wearing shorts that he took with him , soo hes all ready harrasing me ect not good ANY THOUGHTS ON THE MATTER??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

Once a salaried employee, if i'm not mistaken, one doesnt normally clock in or out? or if one does, it just stipulates youre "on the set." As far as breaks and lunches, however,a salaried employee takes them at his//or discretion. One has to be clocked in or out to show whether nhe/she is on thte premises or not. As far as company policy goes, I am aware that an hourly employee, or once clock out, you are not supposed to participate in duties or tasks, altho any job I have been on I have done so, here, there, and everywhere. The problem with that is soley one of company liability,if youre not there, how did you get hurt/have a problem "on the job?" As far as my personal time being "taken up" by my work; it just never ocurred to me as that for a brief moment thats what being in customer service 30 years meant/means to me, and I dont mind doing a bfief chore off the clock if someone asks for help, or something is out of place, and so on. That's part of taking ownership. I'll just steal the time back. :] And btw, just because you wore shorts before, and nothing was said, doesnt change the dress code...we all are accountable for our own actions one way or another in the end. Whether someone writes me up because I think I deserve or not doesnt matter, sometimes I do, maybe sometimes I dont because it was out of my control...all comes out in the wash in the end. Store managers in this company have it beyond hard > they have it impossible. Some like it, some do it, some can handle it. It is not what I personally would do or can do. Its too much of a physical demand for me at this stage of the game.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tony

35 months ago

IAM SEEKING TO HEAR FROM ANY OF YOU ON ANY PROBLEMS YOU HAVE HAD WITH DOLLAR GENERAL ABOUT NOT GETTING BREAKS, WORKIGN ALONE FOR MANY HOURS WITHOUT BREAKS ECT, IF YER A KEYHOLDER OR ASSISTANT MANAGER OR MANAGER TRAINEE THAT DOES NOT PUNCH OUT FOR 30 MINUTES I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM YOU IAM SEEKING A LAWYERS HELP ON SEEKING CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT MAYBE SO NEED AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE IN ON THIS THANKS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

nofoolnomore in Esmont, Virginia

35 months ago

my knowledge is this: the dm ony uses policy and procedures when it benefits them. i was with dg for three years and shorts was never on the uniform policy. you could only wear capris and that was from memorial day until labor day. i say good luck going up the chain with your complaints, it dont seem to get you anywhere with dollar general. just know this. follow all policy and procedures to the letter. do not follow what others are wearing, doing or saying. dot your i and cross your t. make notes in a notebook of everything that is done or said out of ordinary. are you the only manager in the store even tho you are training. they cant just say you cant be a manager because of shrink. good luck.

35 months ago

you cannot be fired for shrink percent. you can be fired for causing shrink. your next step should be find a decent job where you will be treated with fairness. you will get no where with any types of complaints no one cares. its a dog eat dog world bite before you get bitten. i am here to tell you dg is not a company you want to move up in. i have worked elsewhere and can testify to fairness and a real manager delegates and makes sure all work gets done and budgets met. they do not kill themselves trying to do all the work that they dont have the budget to bring people in to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

MauEvig in Arkport, New York said: I work at a local dollar general store in my area. I've been there for about two months and granted, I enjoy the retail type of work.
However, when I asked my store manager about advancement, she blew me off.
Allow me to elaborate...I asked her (my store manager)...and she told me to ask the district manager. The district manager told me to talk to my store manager. Alright cool right? My store manager said we were going to discuss it over a cup of coffee.
But then she kept blowing me off, and finally after one of our assistant managers said something to her, she talked to me saying that I wasn't ready. In the mean time, she'd been training the new girl who had only been there for a couple weeks.
The new girl had no prior experiance in management and it's not like my work history is all that pretty...but from what I heard she didn't have much of a work history herself.
I'd been at this job longer and I've been giving them 110% of my efforts and instead of telling me right up front and saying that I wasn't ready, she went behind my back and started training the new girl.
The assistant manager said that the store manager told HER that I hadn't been working there long enough.
Alright...so why is she training the new girl?
I left a voice mail with my district manager because I plan to speak with her about this. I've put a lot of time and effort into this company coming in on my days off and even driving to another store that was an hour away, and considering the high gas prices that's nothing to overlook. I'd also helped out at another local store down town.
I've been doing the best I can, serving this company, and then the new girl for no reason whatsoever despite what the store manager told the assistant manager that *I* had not been working there long enough, started to train the new girl.
And guess what? The store manager told me yesterday that this new girl was made a fourth key by the district manager.

35 months ago

there is no fourth key manager. third key and they got rid of the 911 person. your manager is full of bs. dg is good for this type of thing with incorrect statements being made as excuses. the new girl, she would prob be a friend of the manager before she came to work for dg. your manager either doesnt know what he/she is talking about or full of shooting you bs with the dm supporting her lies.

35 months ago

i have a lot of former employees who are looking for lawyers. you would not believe the list of wrong doing associated with these people and me too. send your email, i will tell you what happened to me.

tony

35 months ago

my email is at the hoo look forward to hearing your stories you can tell me on here

tony

35 months ago

it wont let me put my email on here

Sara in Jersey City, New Jersey

35 months ago

tony said: it wont let me put my email on here

I work at a Dollar General in New Jersey and I was recently promoted to a Store Manager Trainee position. Store manager trainee positions are still hourly positions until they actually are a store manager. I have worked several times without a lunch break, many times actually two straight shifts back to back. I haven't experienced anything really bad about this company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

tony

35 months ago

you dont think punching out for a lunch break is bad? and missing meals ? even dollar general company policy states if you work 6 hours you need to punch out for 30 minutes, this is not if you want to type a thing its the law period. i use to work at walmart and if you didnt punch out by yer 5th hour you could get fired if you mess that up twice your canned , thats cause its the law and they have been sued in the past for running people without any breaks ect as a manager make sure you know this very important rule and follow it and also working a double shift thats yer own perogative but as for me no iam not gona do it heck naw

35 months ago

Tony, everything you said and more, I have to ask myself how do employees not know or understand legal and positive working conditions, nor do they care? And how do some managers and companies still think they can get away with third-world or outlawed working conditions?!? I mean, yeah, if we were cardiac or neurosurgeons, etc...even cops get donut breaks! LOL! I have put in my twelve hour days in the past, when I was young...but now, if I had to do it, I guess I would have to do it, but as a cashier at worst I have done a couple of split shifts, covered call offs in the past, covered for someone(s) who needed the day off for one reason or another, etc...A double shift would prob do me in at this stage of the game! My managers have been put into the position to have to do doubles on more than one or two occasions and my heart goes out to them, I dont know how they do it, and I wish they didnt have to. As anyone in this company knows, this aint no butt sittin' job!

tony

35 months ago

why would you have to pull a double shift? the manager is sick and the third key is tooo right?? how likely is that ? thats the only reason i would say you have to pulll a double shift and if you do TAKE YER BREAKS simple as that if you are doing double shift its cause you want to or you do not have the balls to stand up to manaager and tell him get his azz into work simple as that:)

anonymous in Gainesville, Florida

35 months ago

Man, It really sucks to hear so many people have such negative experiences with this company. For what it's worth, my experience with DG was fantastic, and my time there really opened up a whole new level of income for me.

I am a former DM who worked my way up from the bottom. DG was originally just a part time job for me while I was in school, but that quickly changed. Like many on here have indicated, I was fairly rushed through the ranks. I was a third-key in my first 6 months, and an ASM with a little over a year with the company. Barely two years in and I was promoted to SM and given my own store. Fast forward 6 years and several location changes and I began the DM interview process. The pay increase I received was almost 100%, so the pay does jump drastically once you hit middle management.

Never at any point did I feel "too stressed", even when I was a DM. I do, however, agree on many of this companies short comings. The way some of my colleagues went through possible talent was astonishing to say the least. I tried to treat everyone under me with the utmost respect, and for the most part it was returned. I can't say that my RM shared that philosophy,needless to say, she definitely felt the stress.

I no longer work for DG, but am grateful for the opportunities it created that are a direct result of my work experience there. I now work as a DM for another small box retailer who specializes in video game(take a wild guess). I didn't leave DG because I was frustrated with the company, but because the opportunity to advance further was just not there. That and my new employer offered me 15% more than DG, and DG did not match the offer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Sara in Jersey City, New Jersey

35 months ago

We recently opened a new store and were short handed considering how busy we were. The only members of management we had were the store manager and myself.

tony

35 months ago

ok all i have went upp the ladder talked with o franky then went to lori now who do i go to next my district manager is lieing about me and none cares ect what is the open doorr policy?? have far does it go up?? i have talked to human resource directer lori bremer now who do i go to??

kevin423 in anytown, Alabama

35 months ago

Your wasting your time the so called open door policy is just that a open door for you to leave out of the company doesn't care about your problems some might listen for a minute then forget your there the company prides itself for only one thing making money at the expense of the little guy's and girls that deal with the customers daily ...

tony

35 months ago

yea prolly wasting my time but you know what iam being done wrong and iam gonna make sure i try to do something about this iam thinking iam gonna take a trip down to nashville its only 6 hours away , so does anyone have anybody they think i can talk to on this matter???? how about that vice president gion lady??? kathleen???

35 months ago

going to Tenn will not solve anything just cost you a lot of gas money I've been where your at I've seen first hand how the company deals with it employee's that stirs thing's up i worked at a store for 4 yrs and worked my butt off went through 4 managers proven myself more time's that i can tell on here told every manager that i wanted a chance for a management role even asked my district manager if that was something that he might consider'' and you know where it got me ? ''nothing but a headache and a feeling that my efforts weren't appreciated if you want to make the trip do it but in the end it won't solve anything it will only cause you trouble with those you have to answer to being lied to is something that is common with dollar general if you been with the company for awhile you should have come to understand that and expect it. sometime ago a third key position came open do you thing after the time i put in mattered to them in deciding to fill it ? they gave it to a stocker that only worked for the company for less than 2 yrs and took instruction from me during truck days and looked to me for answers on how to do things !

tony

35 months ago

soo what yer telling me is the dm can make things upp that you did and lie about an employyee and nothing can be done about it???? like hes making up a lie that i let a vender in the back door thats a plain out lie and i told the regional that and human resorce lady that and they still sided with him ( they didnt even check it out) now iam asking since my dm is lieing and trying to harass me for going above his head i want ot move out of his district and they are telling me no because throughout all of this investigation they said i raised my voice to the regional manager and the human resource lady said i said pisssed and fricken and thats why i cannot move to another district but they did say i can move to another store within district but i told them that the problem lies in the district manager so i want moved cause iam sure if he lied against me one time he will do it again and try and fire me now right ?

35 months ago

yup that pretty much it the company is going to side with it's district and regional managers although you reported it and there seems to be issues where your at going to anybody higher up in the company will not solve things but only make things worst if you did the following will happen 1. the regional manager will be called by corporate and he or she will be asked about the issue at hand 2. the district manager will be called and be chewed out by the regional and a investigation will be started after that fact someone will show up at the store and on that day the crap will hit the fan 3.everything will be discussed with you a solution will be tried but in the end you will be no better off than you are now these are the step's that will happen and all it will do by going this route is cause you in the long run is to end up leaving dollar general by being forced to leave by the continuing situation and nobody would put up with it for long before they did so. my advise to you forgo that and just leave on your own find something that you would be happy doing and go for it DG is a dead end.......remember they will replace you before they replace a district and regional manager that's truth sad to say we little guy aren't that important to them and replaceable at any given time.

anonymous in Gainesville, Florida

35 months ago

Tony, the best advice I can give you is to part ways with DG. I know you have put your time in and that it isn't fair, but life ain't fair. You can (a) Leave with your head held high and on your terms, or (b) get fired and have to explain to your next employer why. If they do end up firing you, trust me, it will be for a reason that won't net you unemployment.

And for you, Kevin, I would offer the same advice. While it doesn't sound like you're on the chopping block, you're time with DG could probably be spent better elsewhere. If you refer to my previous post, I commented on how my fellow DM's flat out wasted in store talent. Truth be told, if you're not "their guys", then you're not going anywhere with the company. Personally, I passed up many hard workers for promotions because I didn't think they had "it", and "it' is the ability to lead. I'm not saying you don't, and I never labeled that final judgement unless I was damn sure. But, you sound like an intelligent person, and are probably falling victim to the favorites game.

In retrospect, there were, and still are, far better companies to work your way up in. If I could do it all over again, I would never have wasted my time with a small box retailer, and gone straight to a big box. For example, one can make $100k as a Walmart SM, and not have a degree of any kind. I made less than that as a DG DM with a BS in Business Management.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

My expectation for advancement and moving up have long since disappeared the only reason that im still with the company is to collect a pay check and get the insurance that's all! I've learned my lesson when it come to working for DG unless you decide to kiss butt and kill your self in the process while trying to please your boss it's not worth it i was hired to do a certain job and I'll to do it until i quit or they find someone younger to do it and don't see any further reason for me to be there believe me I've seen it happen and people can't say that it doesn't......

nofoolnomore in Bassett, Virginia

35 months ago

been there done that.....k guion will only send the matter to human resources and it will go back to dispute resolution and then back down the ladder to regional and district and back to your original answer. sorry. go to another company before you end up like me, no one wants to hire terminated people from dg.,i got my unemployment an proved my innocence but it didnt even matter to dg, i went to r dreiling never got anwser but i know the answer. no. they will put you thru the mud and you will end up being even more frustrated than when you started out. sorry, its the truth,.

nofoolnomore in Bassett, Virginia

35 months ago

the open door policy is also called the revolving door, it goes in circles till it comes back to you and you are looking like the bad person. been there done that got twenty four t shirts for it.

harry potter in anywhere, Kentucky

35 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Dollar General?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Dollar General?

Hey everyone that will read this GET THE HELL OUT OF DODGE or in this case dg the only way to get this changed is if you can spread the word loud enough to everyone not to work there now this is the only answer
when they cant get enough help then maybe some changes will take place BOYCOTT DOLLAR GENERAL
SPREAD THE WORD POST EVERY PLACE YOU CAN NOT JUST HERE OKAY!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

kevin423 in anytown, Alabama said: My way out didn't materialize for the time being i have to stay to pay the bill's there's nothing in the way for a job here for me to apply for but if you have better option's in front of you take it and run like hell in the long run you'll be better off don't get trapped like allot of us did lousy hour's,DM's That don't care and constant manager changes and staff turnover i started out a stocker and went to one extreme to another at my store mostly get stuck on a register now a days really don't do that much stocking anymore only reason the customer still come in at that location is because of me they need to see someone familiar they had told me that much ! my store has a high shrink rate the district manager knows that but yet he doesn't let us solve the problem the way it needs to be done we know who shoplifts and if it was up to me i would put up a cork board with their pictures on it with a banner overhead saying banned then have them all arrested ''sign warrant's against them all''that would make a point to everyone that lives's in the surrounding area. my current manager like all the other's has his hands tied and not able to kick butt and take names to those that steal and cost the store money.if you remain with the company good luck to you and may god have mercy on your soul......

Hey everyone that will read this GET THE HELL OUT OF DODGE or in this case dg the only way to get this changed is if you can spread the word loud enough to everyone not to work there now this is the only answer
when they cant get enough help then maybe some changes will take place BOYCOTT DOLLAR GENERAL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

jlhredhead in Mansfield, Ohio said: Unfortunately, this company does not stand behind anything that it tells you. They are not out to protect you or reward you for your back breaking work. Give it 3 months and you will begin to see the back stabbing that goes on. Upper management will use you as their fall guy, especially if something goes wrong. Can't say I didn't warn you.
My lawyer is dealing with 9 fired store managers in this area alone, all wrongfully terminated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nofoolnomore in Charlottesville, Virginia

35 months ago

harry potter can you send me a email to tednjane@embarqmail.com. I would like to talk to you about the lawyer. I know a lot of people that are looking for a lawyer that cannot find one to take thier case. thanks

babyjane22 in Macon, Georgia

34 months ago

I was fired by phone for a over/short that was never brought to my attention by my mgr.I liked her and worked really hard for her.I also worked a full time day job ,I work with people & money every day and have for the past 47yrs. I've never had my integrity questioned by any company ,i ever worked for,until DG.BUT,i really don't know why i was fired i could never get any paper work from them with a reason.You don't get to count your drawer at the end of your shift so you really don't know what goes on behind closed doors. And going through dispute resolution is a joke.Beware working for DG CAN BECOME YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE!

Edward in Lebanon, Missouri

33 months ago

I am left alone in the store for 2 hours without the ability to even go to the bathroom, get shorted on my hours at work, and falsely put on my time card that i took a break when i did not take one i am being retaliated on and being falsely accused by the manager of being short on money, when i knew i was not, falsely stating that i edited my time when i know i did not do this and saying that i did not secure the money when i never did these things. I was also told that I would be demoted most likely and forced to sign papers. I feel i am put into a hostile work environment, I have witnessed racial slurs about African Americans and minorities, and also witnessed management flirt with cashiers that has made me very uncomfortable. I do not know how to handle this situation and this whole matter has caused me depression and anxiety. I have a lot of stress because of this situation. I need some insight on what to do. The training manager stated to me that the best thing that I should do is quit my job. I believe that someone knows my code and is trying to sabotage my career. I have worked without breaks and the manager has keyed in breaks for me. I have witnessed management make sexual harassment comments about women who come and apply and that has made me very uncomfortable. I need guidance. now they want me to make a statement Now I have to make a statement about everything what should I do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Billy Kennamer in Decatur, Alabama

33 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Dollar General?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Dollar General?

Unfortunately there is no "typical" day at DG....the dress code at DG pretty much sums up the atmosphere at DG..black pants and black shirts - need I say more.

mark

33 months ago

this is exactly what you shoul;d do ill give you some phonenumbers but 1st what you neeed to do is email kathleen guin about your whole situation then call the head of human resources heres number one-six-one-five five five six -five six eight six call that number i for get his name but hes a good guy i think his name is dave hes the head guy of human resources tell him your situation as far as make making a statement goes telll them what yer saying on here ect and tell them you immediately want removed from the store your at do you have another store close by to go to?? if not tell them that your not comign to work until these problems are solved ect make sure you document everything you do and what people say ok good luck

KidJade in New Ellenton, South Carolina

33 months ago

missgrl said: I have worked for Dollar General for almost a year now, and the rules for which corporate have set for me to work in are just plain stupid (for lack of a better word). I stock as well as work the register. The other day my manager called a meeting for all employees. As I sat and listened to what she had to say, I got increasingly upset. In a nutshell, the employees (all employees) are looked upon as thieves. We are to have our purses checked when leaving the store, we are not allowed to take food or drink out (that we paid for with a receipt) out of the store after it closes. Let's take a look at the picture, I know Dollar General is not without thieving employees (managers to workers), but they don't see the amount of merchandise leaving that store unpaid for by the customers. I am a college student, and I have a crazy schedule with family, school, and work. This electronic schedule that corporate has so graciously bestowed upon us is also stupid. My hours will be cut according to the guidelines governing the schedule.

Let me guess you work in South Carolina right? I'm starting to think everyone in this area got the same talk.

KidJade in New Ellenton, South Carolina

33 months ago

Seriously Does anyone know how long you have to wait to transfer? My store has me wanting out of there so bad but I can't afford to quit. I have NEVER worked in such a hostile work enviroment in all my life.

BOB in Mount Vernon, Ohio

32 months ago

WARNING TO ALL WHO SEEK JOBS AT DOLLAR GENERAL!!!
First what I am about to see about Dollar General is probably not true about every DG store. So you should try to find information on the particular store, you are applying at. I just gave my 2-week notice at the store I work at and it could not have come sooner. I work both the unloading days and on the Mondays I unload everything by myself, while being the only cashier. So on Mondays I am running all over the store and the boss gets made at me when I do not move fast enough while unloading. There are about a dozen other issues with the story, but like I said these issues are not true about every store

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

Here is another warning,beware of store #04792 .......

Sundown in Pennsylvania

32 months ago

BOB in Mount Vernon, Ohio said: WARNING TO ALL WHO SEEK JOBS AT DOLLAR GENERAL!!!
First what I am about to see about Dollar General is probably not true about every DG store. So you should try to find information on the particular store, you are applying at. I just gave my 2-week notice at the store I work at and it could not have come sooner. I work both the unloading days and on the Mondays I unload everything by myself, while being the only cashier. So on Mondays I am running all over the store and the boss gets made at me when I do not move fast enough while unloading. There are about a dozen other issues with the story, but like I said these issues are not true about every store

True that1 I dont know how my manager and ASM figures it all out...mostly by sacrificing alot themselves...I am fortunate to be in a good store..

ashley in Johnson City, Tennessee

32 months ago

I worked for Dollar General for a year and it was all good at first till we got a new manager. This manager does NOT deserve her job. I was a 3rd key over there and put up with the crap for so long because I needed a job. This manager is a liar and a cheater. I got accused several times of stealing and when I told her to investigate it she didnt want to she asked me to put money in the bathroom and she would go find it. she has had me lie to the DM for her. She sits outside almost her entire shift and talks on the phone and has everyone else do her job. she clocks people out early not letting them get paid for their work. everytime i went to count down a drawer she had me clock out. she had me run to the bank on several occasions to drop a deposit and was told by her that is not my job and i better never tell anyone because she would lose her job. So so so much more to complain about and i will take this information wherever i need to to get some answers. oh not to mention she never gave me my raise for my promotion which caused me to quit. Now i cannot find a job anywhere because this woman is telling lies about me.this is a poor excuse of a manager and i hope one day she has to answer to a higher power and they are not going to be pleased.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

ashley in Johnson City, Tennessee said: I worked for Dollar General for a year and it was all good at first till we got a new manager. This manager does NOT deserve her job. I was a 3rd key over there and put up with the crap for so long because I needed a job. This manager is a liar and a cheater. I got accused several times of stealing and when I told her to investigate it she didnt want to she asked me to put money in the bathroom and she would go find it. she has had me lie to the DM for her. She sits outside almost her entire shift and talks on the phone and has everyone else do her job. she clocks people out early not letting them get paid for their work. everytime i went to count down a drawer she had me clock out. she had me run to the bank on several occasions to drop a deposit and was told by her that is not my job and i better never tell anyone because she would lose her job. So so so much more to complain about and i will take this information wherever i need to to get some answers. oh not to mention she never gave me my raise for my promotion which caused me to quit. Now i cannot find a job anywhere because this woman is telling lies about me.this is a poor excuse of a manager and i hope one day she has to answer to a higher power and they are not going to be pleased.

Ashley,I also had a liar for a manager and was thrown under the bus.No one is going to care about your problem and no one is going to help you.It's your word against them,and guess who wins?I feel bad for you not having a job,but your better off being out of there.Been through that NIGHTMARE! Good Luck.

longtimemgr in smalltown

32 months ago

ashley in Johnson City, Tennessee said: I worked for Dollar General for a year and it was all good at first till we got a new manager. This manager does NOT deserve her job. I was a 3rd key over there and put up with the crap for so long because I needed a job. This manager is a liar and a cheater. I got accused several times of stealing and when I told her to investigate it she didnt want to she asked me to put money in the bathroom and she would go find it. she has had me lie to the DM for her. She sits outside almost her entire shift and talks on the phone and has everyone else do her job. she clocks people out early not letting them get paid for their work. everytime i went to count down a drawer she had me clock out. she had me run to the bank on several occasions to drop a deposit and was told by her that is not my job and i better never tell anyone because she would lose her job. So so so much more to complain about and i will take this information wherever i need to to get some answers. oh not to mention she never gave me my raise for my promotion which caused me to quit. Now i cannot find a job anywhere because this woman is telling lies about me.this is a poor excuse of a manager and i hope one day she has to answer to a higher power and they are not going to be pleased.

First off I would call DG's HR dept. The manager is not allowed to give out a reference, only HR can do that. Find out the number for perspective employers to call and get information from and only list it on your applications. Sorry you got treated this way. I no longer work for DG, but when I did I enjoyed it and it makes a big difference who you work under.

Sundown in Pennsylvania

32 months ago

longtimemgr in smalltown said: First off I would call DG's HR dept. The manager is not allowed to give out a reference, only HR can do that. Find out the number for perspective employers to call and get information from and only list it on your applications. Sorry you got treated this way. I no longer work for DG, but when I did I enjoyed it and it makes a big difference who you work under.

True that is makes a big difference where the store is, and who works in it, and who it is you work under. While every store/company has its problems, I have not experienced anything like I am reading here! I almost can't believe it! What is it, do the employer laws vary from state-to-state? Have to go back to my reference book from school on business law...I know certain laws are universal and DG actually goes above many of them to try and improve and serve their employees...there are worse companies out there. I work in the east and I am beginning to wonder about these other states? What gives with them? The best thing any employee of any company can do is familiarize themselves with employee/employer rights and laws across the board, and what your specific company's policies are. I am fortunate to work with a good team, and anyone who causes dysfunction isn't well...there any more!

longtimemgr in smalltown

32 months ago

Sundown in Pennsylvania said: True that is makes a big difference where the store is, and who works in it, and who it is you work under. While every store/company has its problems, I have not experienced anything like I am reading here! I almost can't believe it! What is it, do the employer laws vary from state-to-state? Have to go back to my reference book from school on business law...I know certain laws are universal and DG actually goes above many of them to try and improve and serve their employees...there are worse companies out there. I work in the east and I am beginning to wonder about these other states? What gives with them? The best thing any employee of any company can do is familiarize themselves with employee/employer rights and laws across the board, and what your specific company's policies are. I am fortunate to work with a good team, and anyone who causes dysfunction isn't well...there any more!

DG follows individual state laws when they are different than those of the companies.

It is the people, once you get a bad DM or RM it can create problems. People tend to hire people like themselves and if a DM is a bad seed they hire bad managers and then they hire bad employees. Every now and then a good employee is treated like crap because the bad ones don't want anyone with morals and integrity. I have seen a DM completely ruin an entire district before by running off the good people. I stuck it out through the bad ones, had a couple over 16 years, and things went back to being great when they were gone.

If DG would listen when GOOD employees voice their concerns it would be nice. The problem is the open door policy sucks. But then again, so many bad employees will tell crap on the good ones to try to get them fired, so it's hard for them to tell when someone isn't being truthful.

It really isn't a bad company to work for if the right people are in place higher up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mgrontrack in Erlanger, Kentucky

32 months ago

I am currently employed with dollar general as store manager ,I was hired in as a store mgr, placed in a smaller volume store with the expectations of moving up to higher volume. my original dm that hired me was a great guy ,extremely helpful was always there if you needed him and just all around made all of his mgrs want to help him succeed as well as ourselves any of us that have been there over a year which are only a few of us still bring his name up to each other when we feel like were bieng dumped on.I will not say dg is terrible, and if you love hard work this is the company to work which I do. as my asst and keyholer of 7 years would say she has been through alot of sms and she knew I would make it as I am the hardest working sm she has had. I am not complaining that I have to work to hard, as old school I believe it is my job to work as hard as humanly possible and that I will work harder then my employees because I am setting the standards for what I expect,and I dont mean I do this on occasion ,I work like this everyday that I am in my store which would average 70 hrs weekly not because I am a poor mgr or that my employees are not trained well it is because with 130 hrs in a store that hit the million dollar mark last year in sales and the hours of operation are 91 hrs weekly .with a 1000 to 1300 piece truck to get out over a 2 day period of 6-11 am shifts to which every store mgr is allotted ,we work our toppers/totes on t day, I have a 4 hr cashier that morning as truck is there between 6 and 9 am,i have to use 4 of my precious hrs up because running register,cking in 3 vendors randomly and having only 5 u boats to use for toppers that have to be unloaded out on floor near paper product and rushed back to driver so he can reuse the u boats, this process continues for up to 2 hrs depending on truck size.while you are doing this you have a cashier running back and fourth to ring register,open up to 75 cases of paper product ,stock shelves,clean ,recover.

mgrontrack in Erlanger, Kentucky

32 months ago

and yes i did not have room for my comments so this is continued,anyway with shelves stocked there is then cleaning,and taking over register as you need the hrs for your truck so you run register for a few hrs and put awy items from 35-40 totes in between customers as 5 totes per hr if you are ringing does not seem like alot until you find yourself running back and fourth in between ringing your customers up who with good reason are usally a little upset as having had to wait for you but then they remember its dg and were always by ourself so they would still need to wait,because if you have a bad inventory as i had you need to watch every customer and leave the register to give the best customer service you can to the people hiding in the pet food aisle and or the pillows to steal you blind even though some of us adore our stores and the few overworked employees we have ,heaven forbid you might have a bad inventory when you already no by keeping the empth packets that you will average 150.00 daily in lsses if you are in a not so great part of town ,and you are still limited to 3 cameras 1 in office to make sure we are careful with the stores assets,a 2nd facing the back door in your stockrooms to make sure you or your employees are not taking items out back door, which I agree with the amount of internal theft the stores should have those camers in place and it can help an employee that may be wrongly accused as well the problem is you have to find 1 hr daily to review your ctv for alot of reasons that are useful in reviewing a shoplifter that was there the day before must be visible in 3 specific aisles as thats the only camera monitering shoplifters. at least you will remember them the next time they steal from you. but i still love my store and my customers, it would take 30,000 words to give you our job description this only allows 2000.planograms,endcaps,cutins,ad sets,recovery.pias, daily tote process,exception stock cts,damages,tal log,dsd reconcilliations.

Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.