What's the company culture at Dollar General?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (251 to 300 of 315)
Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

Sundown in Pennsylvania

34 months ago

I can only imagine how frustrating it is for you, and like you, our SM and ASM as well as the keyholders work their tail off...I am a cashier, cannot take a key because of work/life balance limitations, I had originally wanted to when I started but when I saw all you all went through I knew I would not be able to do so. 5 totes in one hour if you're running register? Impossible...I am lucky in one shift if I get two totes and two carts done, however, we are a very busy store and there is only one cashier at a time except when the line gets long and we can beep for someone so the customers dont have to wait. I get frustrated myself when we have customers up until close and I don't get done everything that am suppsed to do or set out to do. We are given instructions sometimes, and we each know what our "givens" are...I think the cameras are a good idea because it will help prove or disprove any internal theft as well as catch other thieves on camera, as well as spot any employee just doggin' around. The mangers often work till close and then have to be back at 6 or 7n in the morning...I dont know how they do it..I love this store, and this is one of the best jobs I ever had in some ways, but there has to be changes made because they are so successful, and if they want to stay that way they have to give the managers more employee hours to get more work done because one or two people in a store is not gonna cut it...and give better pay to retain quality employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

mgrontrack in Erlanger, Kentucky

34 months ago

have i made copies of everything you bet I have already been told my dm will be in with rd and an hr person to finish this up which in reality means they plan to fire me so if you have valid similar expierences please send me your email, I have an appt with a very good attorney if you would care to be involved please speak up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

jlhredhead in Mansfield, Ohio said: Unfortunately, this company does not stand behind anything that it tells you. They are not out to protect you or reward you for your back breaking work. Give it 3 months and you will begin to see the back stabbing that goes on. Upper management will use you as their fall guy, especially if something goes wrong. Can't say I didn't warn you.
My lawyer is dealing with 9 fired store managers in this area alone, all wrongfully terminated.

is there a way for me to contact you i am at present with dg as a store mgr about to be terminated i believe

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

crabbypatty in Illinois said: can anyone tell me approximately how many hours the store manager is supposed to put in in a week and would it do any good to report them to ERC for never being there.

47.5 hrs is required i have been a store mgr 17 months and have never worked under 60 hrs min.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sundown in Pennsylvania

34 months ago

mgrontrack in Erlanger, Kentucky said: 47.5 hrs is required i have been a store mgr 17 months and have never worked under 60 hrs min.

Thats insane

nofoolnomore in Charlottesville, Virginia

34 months ago

to sundown

please contact me at tednjane@embarqmail.com. I was wrongfully terminated also. a few months before it happened, i had been in the hospital with pneumonia, took my week of vacation to cover it, was told i had to, not fmla. I got a phone call a little bit after i got back saying i needed to watch my back and my days were numbered. this was from another manager in the district that my dm had been venting to as she always did this at every store and she didnt care whom she was talking about or what she said. anyways, i ended up being fired for policy violations, trumped up by her and two of my employees whom she promised management positions. i really thought (stupid me) that my work ethics and my strong customer services skills were going to show and there could not be anything on me since i tried to do everything right. there was no investigation, just fired. i was two weeks ahead on all pogs and stuff, just had daily to do, because i worked a lot of 90 hour weeks to get ahead. just to keep above the water. i loved my job, i was totally commiteed. its been a year and i am as angry as the day it happened. i havent found a job cause of what they put on my record which by the way i had no warning, not progressive discipline no nothing, ranked high in yearly performance reviews. thanks for listening, hope this helps someone else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

tallman25 in Ossining, New York

33 months ago

what's the number to open door policy for dollar general im tired of getting hrass by my boss......

Sundown in Pennsylvania

33 months ago

Go to the website, then on the bottom of the page go to DGme, type in you info, an dthere you can download the handbook or there might be a link to the number on the DGme page. If you are not registered, register with your employee ID and make a password.

devidasi in Tompkinsville, Kentucky

33 months ago

I need advice! I went to a jobfair for Dollar General, passed the test, had a short interview and all. The store isn't built yet but will be by the end of January. When should i expect to hear from them? And also do they do a urine drug test or mouth swab drug test. I have prescribed medication but only for 1 month so I'd rather just stop taking my meds. Can anyone help with any of this? Thanks so much.

nofoolnomore in Moneta, Virginia

33 months ago

devidasi in Tompkinsville, Kentucky said: I need advice! I went to a jobfair for Dollar General, passed the test, had a short interview and all. The store isn't built yet but will be by the end of January. When should i expect to hear from them? And also do they do a urine drug test or mouth swab drug test. I have prescribed medication but only for 1 month so I'd rather just stop taking my meds. Can anyone help with any of this? Thanks so much.

only management takes the drug test. regular associates get random testing. you should be hearing from them with in two weeks. just one thing tho. as a former employee i feel it is my duty to ask you to read and do your research on dollar general before you make the decison to work there. just google dollar general complaints. you may not believe the stories but you can bet they are very true. the circumstances dont always happen in some stores. good luck best blessings. take your medication like the doc said there is no need to stop you are ok if they are prescribed to you.

devidasi in Tompkinsville, Kentucky

33 months ago

Thanks so much foolnomore! You really saved me lots of worries.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

upideranu in Beaver, Pennsylvania

30 months ago

mgrontrack in Erlanger, Kentucky said: 47.5 hrs is required i have been a store mgr 17 months and have never worked under 60 hrs min.

Honey, no Manager ever works less than 65 hours a week. They demand us to be there that much. Three lawsuits from employees, they continue to over work us like slaves. Warren Buffet now is a stakeholder in Dollar General, $ signs is all they worry about. There are alot of brainwashed managers in our company, slowly, they will make the jump from the hell we call Dollar General. The corporate monsters can sleep comfortably in their huge beds and sleep at night, wish we could. Karma, one day these people will get what they sowed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Laura in Fort Payne, Alabama

30 months ago

areider in Lafayette, Louisiana said: Can someone please help me out and give me some advice please on what to do if you want to transfer? I asked a few people about it but no one seems to want to tell me. I think its because my store manager does not want to lose me. We have a store manager,assistant manager,and 2 3rd keys . I am a third key. You would not believe how many nights i have worked by my self from 2 to close while busting my butt to put out as much truck as i could and on top of that recovery and also running the register! It feels like im the only one that cares about the store.I guess you could also say that we really dont have a store manager because he/she is never there. I strongly agree that I should be getting the store managers salary because I do their job.Please help me someone. I need some advice asap . i really like this company but i want to work at a store with people that want to work and a store manager that shows up to work and does their job and cares about the store how they are suppost to.....thank you

You need to find a store to transfer to first.. The store manager then has to put the transfer papers in whether they want to or not.. They are suppost to have a open door policy.. But i think they have a push out out the door policy..

30 months ago

I am currently working for DG. I have been with the company for over a year.. I have been working full time hours for over 4 months now.. I hurt my back at work and now my manager cut my hours to 25 hours. I feel that she is retaliating against me.. Now mind you i was promoted to 3rd key while our other 3rd key was out for medical reasons.. I had to train myself but, then when you mess up they get on you about it. I am the only one who works on last chance and cleans the store.. I am to the point where i want to give up.. My store manager wont show me anything and i have asked several times. When i transferred to her store last march i was showing her 3rd key how to do planograms and i was just a cashier. I regret leaving the store i was hired at. The store manager in Maryland is awesome. I can still count on her for advice.. I still keep in touch with her. I don't see how people can beat their employees down so much that they feel like a piece of dirt.. They have been trying to push me out the door from day one. I was promised full time hours so my husband quit his job. so now she tries to mess me over.. It would be different if i was single. but i have 3 kids to support and there is no way to do that on 25 hours a week..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nofoolnomore in Natural Bridge Station, Virginia

30 months ago

Laura in Fort Payne, Alabama said: I am currently working for DG. I have been with the company for over a year.. I have been working full time hours for over 4 months now.. I hurt my back at work and now my manager cut my hours to 25 hours. I feel that she is retaliating against me.. Now mind you i was promoted to 3rd key while our other 3rd key was out for medical reasons.. I had to train myself but, then when you mess up they get on you about it. I am the only one who works on last chance and cleans the store.. I am to the point where i want to give up.. My store manager wont show me anything and i have asked several times. When i transferred to her store last march i was showing her 3rd key how to do planograms and i was just a cashier. I regret leaving the store i was hired at. The store manager in Maryland is awesome. I can still count on her for advice.. I still keep in touch with her. I don't see how people can beat their employees down so much that they feel like a piece of dirt.. They have been trying to push me out the door from day one. I was promised full time hours so my husband quit his job. so now she tries to mess me over.. It would be different if i was single. but i have 3 kids to support and there is no way to do that on 25 hours a week..

ex store manager here. after six weeeks of working full time hours, you are supposed to be put in as full time. that is why store managers are required not to let anyone part time work any length of weeks at full time hours, because of this. call human resources. also i dont know which state you live in, but in va if your hours are dropped below what you have worked in the previous 30 working days, you can apply for part time unemployment. check wtih human resources and check with your local unemployment office.

30 months ago

I called ERC about the issue.. If i don't hear anything back in a few days. I will call HRIS..

Jenny in Stevensville, Maryland

27 months ago

I have been reading over the posts, and as a previous store manager; my advise to anyone thinking about going to work for this company DON'T~ It will end up being the worst mistake in your life. DG recruited me to run their store and like an idiot I believed everything i was told. I should have known better the night I arrived and the visiting assistant manager gave me the keys and the codes to the store and said good luck. I literally taught myself how to run that store. bringing up it to number 1 in my region. I was physically, and verbally abused by DM and followed the chain of command, which got me no where! It took six months before I was set to training in Halifax to become a certified manager- what a joke and a waste of time! I didn't need the training then, I needed it when I was hired. My contract stated that my work week would consist of 45 hours, two days off, a few months later, I was informed that I now had to work six days! I never had enough employees, and to deal with the amount of freight I found myself pulling doubles, not counting the overnights I put in due to re-planagraming the store! No amount of blood, sweat or tears is enough for them. They use you until the point that you can't do it anymore. If you complain, or stand up for your rights, then they make your life a living hell.Since my departure from this store, once again they are unable to keep employees, or managers. The other thing that they are known for is overlooking woman when it concerns a DM position, even though they are highly qualified. In my District, my DM took managers from his area, and made us clean up a store ran by a man, in order to have him promoted as a DM! Everyone was disgusted, as there was a female who was one of the best managers in the Regions, had been with the company for years, and knew it better than our DM! Why was she overlooked? She is a woman!! However, I believe in karma, and have seen it in action: DG is getting payback from lawsuit filed against them!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jenny in Stevensville, Maryland

27 months ago

DG treats all their employees the same, whether a store manager, assistant, third key, or hourly - like crap. If the store manager stands up to their DM they become a target. I often had heated discussions with my DM, at one point, I told him I had a doctors appointment and left the store! I was put on stress leave. He made my life so unbearable that after two years of employment I quite, rather than being terminated. Seems he did like it when I filed a compliant with corporate - I should have sued them! They cut back your hours to the point that the store manager has to pull all the hours just to keep the store running!

Nothappyperson in NA, South Carolina

27 months ago

I started working for DG June 12Th of 2012, after two days at one store I got transferred, on my first day at the new store they had inventory, and I was put on the register, I worked hard and only on occasion messed up on voids (I'm new so It should be taken into account) and On occasion customers change, but I got better at counting... yesterday I worked the register, I was told to work on marking out and repricing notepads with the clarence gun. while the day was going on the 3rd key's BF kept coming and going. she seemed a little annoyed when I needed her, 3 people came in the store while $100.00 and we had to break them because I didn't have the change. At some point during the day I had to count my lit fund and do all that then put it in my drawer because I was short on change, I let me manager know and she said OK, just make sure you recover. I don't get breaks when the 3rd is closing with me so I was Snack and go with my dinner after 7, I looked out side and realized it looked about to pour down rain and it looked ugly, so I was bust-en butt btw getting things in and taking care of customers to the point I did mess up one lady's change and had to call my manager, she looked highly annoyed and did a balance and I was able to get the lady her money, because no one else came in I got the trash ready and took it back then brought forward the brook and swept, the the 3rd took over while I did behind the registers, the I hand mopped behind the registers to clean up spills and then finished, after I went to the office and sat tel she finished, received no answer when I ask how I was on my drawer, as we were leaving she ask when I came in, I told her....
I was in today only to get called into the office (SM and 3rd) tel me that last night I was $19.-- and some change short and they have to let me go.... I'm like WTF cus My counting was getting better and the most before I'd been short on is $1.36..... lately only $0.11 cents short... ~

Nothappyperson in NA, South Carolina

27 months ago

so where the Heck did I lose $19 freakin dollars??????? I want to know....

nanawolfg1 in Dora, Alabama

25 months ago

concerned in Amarillo, Texas said: What are you still doing there promoting this abuse? I know people need jobs to provide for their families....but this is ridiculous. I am assuming you are out looking for another job opportunity? If so, awesome. By no means am I looking for a position at DG, but I will not shop at their stores due to the information I am gathering from this post. Maybe if someone speaks up, changes will occur. I just recently resigned from a company after almost 14 years of service and reached DOM position. Wonderful salary, but my heart was no longer in it. I believe people move companies forward. People are assets. Companies are moving away from investing in their people and are too busy focusing on what the shareholders and investors think.

I totally agree. They really do need to refocus on where they are gettting their profits from. The people who are selling their products need to be removed from the back burners and given more credit and money to keep the sahreholders and investors happy. So what if their profit margin drops a little. In the long run it will stay consistant. Disgruntled employess only costs the compant in the long run.

Patricia in Smyrna, Georgia

25 months ago

I agree. I currently work at dg and cannot wait to find another job. I am sick of the am constantly complaint about her personal life and when needed she gets angry and is usually on her phone or sleeping in the office. She is never on time for work and when she shows up she takes her time doing everything. They treat me like I am a dog and the pay sucks. When hired I was not told it was only part time and I also was not told that my job is a stock person more than anything. I have never worker for a company that treats people like this. Everyday I come here I hate it more. I had 2 days off in a row and was told I had to work at another store I stead of being off. Hopefully, today will be my last day here. I'm not even turning in a notice because they don't deserve even that much respect. If I had it to do over, I never would have wasted my time with this company and I refuse to shop at any dollar general just because of the way I, as an employee have been treated. Worst job of my entire life!

concerned in Amarillo, Texas said: What are you still doing there promoting this abuse? I know people need jobs to provide for their families....but this is ridiculous. I am assuming you are out looking for another job opportunity? If so, awesome. By no means am I looking for a position at DG, but I will not shop at their stores due to the information I am gathering from this post. Maybe if someone speaks up, changes will occur. I just recently resigned from a company after almost 14 years of service and reached DOM position. Wonderful salary, but my heart was no longer in it. I believe people move companies forward. People are assets. Companies are moving away from investing in their people and are too busy focusing on what the shareholders and investors think.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

hcibezim in Houston, Texas

25 months ago

I actually returned to work at the company after taking an absence of about 4 years. Folks, this is one of the worst places to work for in the state of Texas!! When i left the first time, it didn't seem so bad, but their policies and contradictions was just too much. I came back with the thought that this was to be a temporary gig and maybe they would realize that they can't treat people like garbage and survive. Man was i wrong!!!

They hired me, made me third key and tried to offer me an AM position but i refused due to the laughable pay (seriously 10 bucks an hr, please!) and the inability to get at least 40 hours a week. A very high turnover rate, constantly stocking of the store during off hours and late at night, working very long hours (10 hrs plus) without a break, high theft due to the foolishness of selling alcohol in a dangerous part of town and the constant cutting of hours due to a cheap, backwards company and their greedy ways.

Anyone who defends this company is simply trying to continue the stupidity because no one wants to slave for close to minimum wage and put up with constant drama. Do you know that you can't even do a price check at the register nor can you buy items unless a manager rings you up? Ridiculous!!! The final straw was when i came to work on a monday morning to find out that the AC had been stolen (copper wire) and these fools still made their employees and customers shop and work in a store over 110 degrees in heat in the middle of August!! I left without handing in a two weeks notice because these scum bags don't even deserve that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

lyssamarie24 in Dayton, Tennessee

24 months ago

I currently work for dollar general and have been employed for 2 weeks the shortest i've been was 11 cents and over 25 cents the managers count the drawers wrong constantly and always mix the money up. Today my manager said i was $31 over she recounted and i was $28 over she recounted again and i was $21 over. I know i counted right because i verbally and physically show the customers how much money they're getting back at least 3 times every customer i'm very careful. Another thing is my friend was also accused of $64 over until they found out it was a computer error it happens all the time.

My question is can they write me up and fire me because of $21 without telling me that i was liable to get wrote up and fired for going over i was never informed about that only being short. This being my first job i feel like they are screwing me over..

lyssamarie24 in Dayton, Tennessee

24 months ago

I'm also a part time employee but they literally only give even the part time employees up to 15 may 19 hours if we're lucky.

24 months ago

@lyssamarie24
i am a ex store manager. i will be up front with you and very truthful. as far as cash control procedures go, when you arrive, you must count your own till, make sure to do it in front of the cameras. when you sign the paper stating how much you counted in your till and put your signature on it, you are stating you are responsbile for what is in your till. at the end of your shift, managers do count the tills, but you have the right to stand there and watch your till being counted. and if the mod states you are short, then request for yourself recount after her. make sure you always count the till when you arrive for work. never sign the pater without counting your own till. never let anyone know your numbers to sign in with. not even the managers. trust no one with your information. also, request every 30 days to change your password numbers. never let anyone on your register, not even the mod. if someone runs your register, then request when they get off your register, to be able to run a till reciept and recount your money. if they say anything to you about this, tell them tht you are responsbile for this till until the end of your shift, and if you are short, then you will have to take blame, so you would rather no one run your register, not even when you are on break. as a former employee of dollar general of three years, i have seen a lot an got taught a lot about how unfair this company is, how they hire managers who have never been in retail, who do not know any human resource policies, they will do whatever they want to you when they want to. unless you have a manager that communicates well and you think is a fair and upstanding person. for the last two years myself and another ex managers have been advocates to help employee and former employees with what can happen an why. we have seen it all and heard it all. one of the easiest ways to get rid of a employee that is not well liked, is the shortages in a till. next post

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

second post to lyssamarie24
they can say whatever they want is missing from your till. and it will not be questioned unless you question it. district managers mostly leave everything to the store managers. another important thing for you to do is to read the sop manual and your handbook. know those inside out. get you a notebook and keep whatever happens on your shift, time, dates are important. at dollar general, there is no job descritption that is set for any one title. low payroll budgets are the reason for this. you do it all. you must prepare yourself for the worst and hope for the best, but my advice to you is be on the lookout for another postition somewhere else if possible. you can give your life and soul and work so hard, and you could still be fired. policies and procedures in my experience, are only used for the benefit of dollar general when they want them to benefit. there are many reasons for a till to be short or over. and mostly they are from counting mistakes. at the end of the day, when all of it is counted and the reiepts have been pulled, if the money is there and everything is right at the end of day then actually there is no shortage or overage on anyones part. a counting mistake. check on those dates in the end of day reports. you are supposed to be wrote up three times and warned once before you are to have any kind of discipline. if you would like to write me or need help, my email is tednjane@embarqmail.com. i will be glad to help anyone. be blessed. i know everyone needs employment, but this company betrayed me in the worst way, their accusations which have been shown false, but would not give me my job back, has done nothing short of depression and all that follows until i started to help others. there is nothing worse than a company who treats their employees the way dollar general does, from the top with rick drielling to the store managers who treat associates like they are trash and unworthy of advancement.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

HarleyRose in Wichita Falls, Texas

24 months ago

I have been with DG in Wolfforth, TX for about three months. These months have been a nightmare of falseness, fabrication and abuse! I was hired as an AM trainee/FT status with starting pay promised of $8.50-$9.00 an hour. My hiring was all a ruse being played by the SM to intimidate employees already there. I completed all the training, performed AM duties as required, but my position/status/pay was given to a Hispanic employee within 3 weeks of my hire. During that three weeks, the Hispanic employee was late for work three days out of every five, and had two no call/no shows on Saturday mornings - with not one single write-up! Needless to say, the SM is also Hispanic. Amid the daily chaos of people calling in sick or unable to work and my being called in on scheduled days off, I have finally received a raise from the $7.50 I was being paid since staring. Unfortunately, the raise is not enough to compensate for the insanities created by corporate incompetence in this company. Reading these comments it appears 99% of DG employees are disillusioned and disgusted with the the company. I can totally relate! Please see next comment....

HarleyRose in Wichita Falls, Texas

24 months ago

I am now making $8.25 (still less than promised) and my status is now Lead Sales Associate. As an aside, the little Hispanic employee promoted to my AM position lasted less than two weeks before she quit (no notice) due to her dysfunctional family situation and inability to organize life's basic requirements. Last week I was scheduled off for two days, so my husband and I went to close our lake-house for the season. There is no phone signal at the remote site. Upon returning to work my next scheduled day, I found I was seriously on the sh**-list! Apparently my SM felt that since I had stated on my application availability as 'Any', it means I am expected to be available 24/7...to cover both my shifts and the shifts of no-show employees. Really?? It is my understanding covering those shifts is a manager responsibility. Also, as every DG employee quickly learns, we have more than our share of disgruntled customers. Last Friday night I had occasion to deal directly with a couple of these customers as they became belligerent and combative over some 13 cent pieces of candy. They were bellowing about a relative who used to work for us and got f***** and they were gonna own this damn store! By the time the police arrived in response to my 911 call, the women had concocted a whole scenario including the false claim that I had put my hands on them and shoved them out the door. Their story is clearly refuted by the store video of the incident, yet my inept gargoyle of a DM is actually granting credence to these obnoxious women's claims! These same customers had created an altercation with the SM only weeks earlier. Yet I have to feel threatened in my job because these customers have a long-running vendetta against the DG Corp.?? Frankly, if our inept gargoyle of a DM had any grasp of reality he would have a No Trespass order placed on these women, as well as a harassment charge for their abuse of his employees! I'm sure not gonna sweat it for one more minute....:)

DG ALumNI in Little Rock, Arkansas

21 months ago

They hired me, made me third key and tried to offer me an AM position but i refused due to the laughable pay (seriously 10 bucks an hr , please!) and the inability to get at least 40 hours a week. A very high turnover rate, constantly stocking of the store during off hours and late at night, working very long hours (10 hrs plus) without a break, high theft due to the foolishness of selling alcohol in a dangerous part of town and the constant cutting of hours due to a cheap, backwards company and their greedy ways.

Anyone who defends this company is simply trying to continue the stupidity because no one wants to slave for close to minimum wage and put up with constant drama. Do you know that you can't even do a price check at the register nor can you buy items unless a manager rings you up? Ridiculous!!! The final straw was when i came to work on a monday morning to find out that the AC had been stolen (copper wire) and these fools still made their employees and customers shop and work in a store over 110 degrees in heat in the middle of August!! I left without handing in a two weeks notice because these scum bags don't even deserve that.

Yes DG is Ridiculous, My DM is a coward, he couldnt even talk to me personally he had to have someone else "relay" the message... Dollar Tree is a better company to work for, unfortunately, both Dg and Dollar Tree tend to attract not so savory customers, and the store locations are mostly in the ghetto, so no more working at low price point stores!

DG ALumNI in Little Rock, Arkansas

21 months ago

HarleyRose in Wichita Falls, Texas said: I am now making $8.25 (still less than promised) and my status is now Lead Sales Associate . As an aside, the little Hispanic employee promoted to my AM position lasted less than two weeks before she quit (no notice) due to her dysfunctional family situation and inability to organize life's basic requirements. Last week I was scheduled off for two days, so my husband and I went to close our lake-house for the season. There is no phone signal at the remote site. Upon returning to work my next scheduled day, I found I was seriously on the sh**-list! Apparently my SM felt that since I had stated on my application availability as 'Any', it means I am expected to be available 24/7...to cover both my shifts and the shifts of no-show employees. Really?? It is my understanding covering those shifts is a manager responsibility. Also, as every DG employee quickly learns, we have more than our share of disgruntled customers. Last Friday night I had occasion to deal directly with a couple of these customers as they became belligerent and combative over some 13 cent pieces of candy. They were bellowing about a relative who used to work for us and got f***** and they were gonna own this damn store! By the time the police arrived in response to my 911 call, the women had concocted a whole scenario including the false claim that I had put my hands on them and shoved them out the door. Their story is clearly refuted by the store video of the incident, yet my inept gargoyle of a DM is actually granting credence to these obnoxious women's claims ! These same customers had created an altercation with the SM only weeks earlier. Yet I have to feel threatened in my job because these customers have a long-running vendetta against the DG Corp.?? Frankly, if our inept gargoyle of a DM had any grasp of reality he would have a No Trespass order placed on these women, as well as a harassment charge for their abuse of his employees! I'm sure not go

nofoolnomore in Charlottesville, Virginia

21 months ago

@dg alumni. i am a ex store manager done wrong by dg. but i dont go in any dg and do that to the hard working people who are working like slaves and taking all kinds of bs from rude customers. i always say to myself, 95% of customers are good and they make up for the 5% bad ones. but some things are really meant to be looked into. if you can get your sm to burn a dvd of the whole transaction and make another copy for yourself and send this to corporate. i dont know if you will get much help but you will have the proof in your hands in case something happens down the road. and i would make a formal complaint to the regional manager as this is not the way to handle these customers cause in no way shape or form are they going to be made happy and satisfied. but you really need to have evidence for your own self. sorry this happended to you but i hope and pray this is the worst u have to go thru. that was not my case at all. dollar general is a evil company and do not care for thier employees, making millions off the backs of people by not paying them proper wages. but 8.25 is the highest i have ever know a third key to make. good luck to you and have a great new year

iesha

20 months ago

Hi.I have worked at dollar general for four and a half years, first a cashier and then a third key holder, I was told I was going to get a raise for moving me from store to store, weather I had transportation or not,they gave me slot of hard times, I was always at work then at home with my three kids and my boyfriend, then I was working while I was pregnant and when it was time for me to take my maternal leave,they didn't give it to me,I went to the hospital on my day off and they kept me there,and I called my manger the same day and let. Her know I was going in to have my Baby, I'm ready to take my maternal leave can u please put it in the computer, and she said yes and when. I got out the hospital to find out she never put it in,I lost. My son and my job,and the only thing they could do is promise me my job, not my money. For my maternal leave,and the time,I was off for,and then it got harder as I wemy back to work, they started moving me around to help out other stores, that wasn't the problem, I was put back at the store I started at,and I was also having prombles with,I was promise a raise to clean someone's else mess up,with the store, and the store was a tragic, and the Dm lied never got a raise. III

iesha

20 months ago

Hi.I have worked at dollar general for four and a half years, first a cashier and then a third key holder, I was told I was going to get a raise for moving me from store to store, weather I had transportation or not,they gave me slot of hard times, I was always at work then at home with my three kids and my boyfriend, then I was working while I was pregnant and when it was time for me to take my maternal leave,they didn't give it to me,I went to the hospital on my day off and they kept me there,and I called my manger the same day and let. Her know I was going in to have my

Baby, I'm ready to take my maternal leave can u please put it in the computer, and she said yes and

when. I got out the hospital to find out she never
put it in,I lost. My son and my job,and the only Thing they gave me was my job back,no payment for my maternal leave or lost of work,the problems. Got more bad they started moving me around again,put me back at the store I started at and having problems. With and the District manager promise me a raise for moving me back to that store all that was a lie, everything stayed the same long hours, I had to work with no days off caussurgery, I was even promise to become ass.manger, that was the biggest lie,then they wanted me to train someone else to work over me, they had me working all nights or work nights and work the next morning.

thing they could do is promise me my job, not my money. For my maternal leave,and the time,I was off for,and then it got harder as I wemy b

iesha

20 months ago

Then I started having chest pains, the manger wouldn't let me go go home,that same week,things got rough, I went to the doctor, they told me to take a week off but I didn't cause the store was short handed, so I came. In three. Days. Later,I was I. Pain but I was still working, and the next day I came in the store was crowed, as I came in both the mangers walk off and tell me to get a register, while they went and sat in the office. To laugh a .and talk. While I work,they. Were always. Talking off together to go to plays and hang out, while I had to close the store,They had days I had to close by myself, when no one came in, with. All that being said I told the manger a week. Earlier that I was going to quite and she never belived me,so while I was. In pain. That week,I had enough, so I went. In the office and told her I quite and gave her them keys. And I walked out that.door,then. She lied and told the Dm, it took me a week to bring back the keys,by all that went on it's now hard for me to get. A job,cause she put me in the system as no rehire, and that's not right,so what can. I do.

Third key in Houston, Texas

20 months ago

I have been employed with DG for 4 years. I am aware that they do not need a reason to terminate me, but they better have a good one anyway or I will collect unemployment benefits until they run out.
I know what is just part of the job and what is DG trying to get away with something. I am going to stick around as long as I can, but I will not take any sh*t, and I will get unemployment benefits when I go.
Like this summer when both our air conditioners went out. Temp reached 108 degrees INSIDE the store (with no air circulation or ventilation). After a week, I had enough and called 911 complaining of heat exhaustion. Called the DM when the ambulance got there and the store was shut down on the spot. Funny, considering that he had jumped down our store managers throat just hours earlier and demanded that we stay open regular business hours. Had her in tears. We ended up closing before noon for 2 weeks until the a/c was fixed! We were all allowed to come in during the a.m. to get our hours. Bet he wanted to fire my a** then, but how would that have looked on my application for unemployment benefits?
If I would have been fired, I had everything I needed to get my benefits. Pictures of the thermometer (clearly inside the store), reading 108 degrees. Phone records proving I called 911. And don't forget our customers! The city code enforcement office had over 200 complaints from customers all concerned about the DG employees being forced to work in 108 degree temps.
I use my phone to take photos of the schedule every week. Yes, they can get mad that I didn't answer my phone on my day off, but they had best not fire me. I have PROOF that I was off. End of story, I would get unemployment benefits.
see the following post for more examples..............

Third key in Houston, Texas

20 months ago

I have worked NO LESS than 35 hours per week the entire 4 years that I have been with DG. Recently, they cut payroll hours (at least at my store) giving all full time employees less than 28 hours.
REALLY? DG BETTER CHECK THEMSELVES. THEY DO NOT WANT TO DO THAT IN TEXAS!
If you have been working full time hours (30+ per week) and get cut back to part time (less then 30) you qualify for partial unemployment benefits! YES, you can still work and get benefits. In fact, this is the idea situation.
Say that you are no longer employed with DG and qualify for $200 per week unemployment benefits. GREAT! You aren't totally down and out. BUT... if you were still employed and your hours got cut, you would qualify for 125% of your weekly benefit amount. Meaning that you would get paid more and work less.

RETAIL SHOP OF HORRORS

19 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Dollar General ?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Dollar General?

I would not recommend this company to anyone. For starters, there locations are horrible, usuakky in some ghetto neighborhood, but some are in remote areas. You have a consistent barrage of vendors comingin, in which you need to stop what you are doing and check them in. Moving on to store payroll. Usually, 140 hours a week enough to keep the doors open. The manager if dedicated gets one day off a week, working 10 hours a day that would be 6days/60 hours a week, remember you are salaried at 45 hours. You get paid weekly, the only good thing. Weekends are mandatory. Your ASM works 40 hours. LEAD SALES ASSOCIATE 40 hours. Leaving majority of the time for 4 PT ASSOCIATES if your lucky. And of course if an Associate doesnt show, a member of management or SM needs to cover the shift. Truck day of at least 1000 pieces or more, which needs to be done in 24 hours. In translation, SM needs to be on the floor doing truck. Among other duties, such as running shifts, doing price changes for ads etc needs to have the truck up. Plan-o-grams and ad sets with tons of price stickers, check the system which tells you when you need to have things completed, which are weekly. All this for about 34,000 a year. Be lucky if you have a good DM, that doesnt tell his managers he doesnt work weekends, wont take your calls after 5pm and demands you stay open during a snow storm. Clientle is bottom of the barrell, drunks, addicts, shoplifters paradise. and of course the mother with 5 or 6 unruley heathen children who run amuck in the store tearing it up. RUN DONT WALK AWAY FROM THIS RETAIL SHOP OF HORRORS!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

do not in Bothell, Washington

19 months ago

I had been with Dollar General as a Store Manager for over 5 years, finally I had enough and found another job. For anybody looking to come to work for DG, this is a "as is" company, buyer beware when shopping for a new job. Run keep going, for a Store Manager they tell you during your interviews 48 hours a week, not even close, try 60-75 a week. You will be there 6 days a week not 5 1/2. Planograms, vendors, seasonal sets, encaps, monthly activity guide, color in you communication board like a 5 year old, running register until 11 or noon,(payroll getting cut all the time). New stores opening in your area, your sales going down, hours going down(payroll even cut more). A typical store runs on 140 for stores around 1 to 1.3 million in sales a year for every 100,000 in sales a year you get about 5 more hours per week. Bonuses, that is a joke, I have not seen one of those for the last 3 years, they have changed your bonus structure twice to make sure they do not pay those. You have on hand adjustments which take half of your day, pia, damages, returns, voids, shoplifters all day long, that is your typical shopper(the unsavory type that looks like they would kill you for a dollar). They smells of your customers, all I can say is wow on this subject. Cleaning the bathrooms, daily paperwork, bank deposits, warehouse truck out in two days,(depending on volume) 1000 cases with you and another person. The starting wage is $30,000, sounds great, huh? Not so great when you work 70 hours a week for it, never seeing your kids, spouses, parents, brothers, sisters. Family gatherings, well, you will miss those, too. Holidays, when other people get to enjoy them, not you, you will be working more hours. Screaming kids running around unsupervised, regular shoppers, going around and messing your store up as soon as you recover the store.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Laura Rowland in pisgah, Alabama

19 months ago

Isn't that what we sign up for? I would love to be a store manager. But only because I don't look at it as a job. I look at this opportunity as a career. Not everyone is cut out to be a manager. I have a new manager and she doesn't know what she is doing and I am having to try to run the store on 40 hours a week. Now that is hard. I wish I was the store manager that way I wouldn't have to worry about being over hours and I could get done what needs to be done. If you have a good team then you wouldn't have to work that much. But I am a workaholic and I have to have something to do at all times. so maybe when someone signs up for a store manager position they should look at what their store manager has to put up with first.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

careful what you wish for in Claremont, North Carolina

19 months ago

Laura Rowland in pisgah, Alabama said: Isn't that what we sign up for? I would love to be a store manager. But only because I don't look at it as a job. I look at this opportunity as a career. Not everyone is cut out to be a manager. I have a new manager and she doesn't know what she is doing and I am having to try to run the store on 40 hours a week. Now that is hard. I wish I was the store manager that way I wouldn't have to worry about being over hours and I could get done what needs to be done. If you have a good team then you wouldn't have to work that much. But I am a workaholic and I have to have something to do at all times. so maybe when someone signs up for a store manager position they should look at what their store manager has to put up with first.

If you have proven yourself as a Assistant Store Manager to your DM, they would make you a Store Manager. With my 4 years as a store manager at DG, I had several ASM say they could do it, 4 got promoted, 1 stuck it out for 6 months. I have worked for Big Lots, Walgreens, CVS, Winn Dixie, this was the worst. I have over 20 years of Management experience, this was the worst company to work for. They treat their managers like slaves, seriously, you want to work 65 hours a week? The pay for their Store Managers is the lowest in the industry. I opened my own business, I put in a lot of hours, but my hard work is my profit, not somebody elses, so Wall Street can give them a pat on the back and the stockholders can get rich off the modern day slavery.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beth.bakery@hotmail.com in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

17 months ago

I started at a store that was the biggest mess I have ever seen. Brody, the store manager, left the store as soon as I got there every day I worked. I worked hard on cleaning up the store, they called it recovery. I worked very hard the 4 days I was employed. The assistant that was training me went for a cigarette break at least once an hour and pretty much did nothing through out the day. I was called into the office because recovery wasn't done good enough and it was the other assistant managers area that was assigned to her. I was also on the register while supposed to be doing recovery. I walked out very unhappy and will not return. The district manager was supposed to call me, I heard nothing. If I hear anything from her I will be very surprised. Dollar General is a terrible place to work!!!!! This store is located on Mount Vernon Rd in Cedar Rapids Iowa. District managers name is Lynn.

17 months ago

I am sorry that happened to you. But I am sad to say it happens a lot. I have been waiting on a opportunity to be a store manager and took my test 10 months ago and passed. I do believe that to make a store work, you have to work as a team. What you are saying is not a team. one or two people can't run a store successfully.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jasonwbishop75 in Bangor, Pennsylvania

17 months ago

I have been trying to get a job for this company for over a year and a half now. HR calls me telling me im a perfect fit and I do a phone interview, then store interview, and then im blown off. Then again I apply and HR calls me again this time I tell her I was blown off and she tell me shes sorry thatll never happen again that I slipped through the cracks. Im a hard worker who wants to work and support my family, no criminal history, nothing. So again phone interview and then a distric manager calls for interview. And once again, blown off. This is how people get treated who shop at the store and want to work for them and possibly work my way up the ladder? Someone help!

Beth.bakery@hotmail.com in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

17 months ago

Quit wasting your time, go to another company. They are a low paying company and they over work you. They also look for reasons to fire you even if your a hard worker just because they are afraid you will take their job from them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Andthnwat in Warrensburg, Missouri

11 months ago

I have worked for DG for 3 years. It is the worst job I have ever had. Jobs are hard to come by, so I deal. I do work with some good people, overall it is a demeaning, demoralizing hell hole.

Joseph in Chicago, Illinois

11 months ago

treatedbadly said: DG is a joke to work for. They expect you to work twice as hard for 1/2 the pay of any other retail store. In our store you can be scheduled for 8 hours or 16 hours in a day and get no breaks. And it is legal because in my state there are no break laws. They treat you like you should have no life outside of DG. And god forbid you have a death in your family, you mind as well forget about going to the funeral or you will get fired for not being at work. DG is insensitive and Corporate only cares about making money not about the well being of it's employees.

I've gotten written up twice for attending two funerals within the week. I called ahead to let them know I wouldn't be coming in because of the funerals. Day of the funeral, I got a call asking why I didn't come in to work, I told the manager that I had called in a few days earlier that I was attending a funeral. Manager told me I was getting written up, and I responded with it's a family emergency, those aren't excused? I guess not because I week later I was fired.

11 months ago

Joseph in Chicago, Illinois said: I've gotten written up twice for attending two funerals within the week. I called ahead to let them know I wouldn't be coming in because of the funerals. Day of the funeral, I got a call asking why I didn't come in to work, I told the manager that I had called in a few days earlier that I was attending a funeral. Manager told me I was getting written up, and I responded with it's a family emergency, those aren't excused? I guess not because I week later I was fired.

Have you read the company hand book about funeral leave? It states that you can get up to 2 to 3 days off for funeral leave for immediate family. If you called a few days ahead the manager should of put in your funeral leave. In which you would have to report back to work with in the 3 days. I do find it not fair at all with what some of the managers do. But with a good manager they would have the compassion for their employees and just cover the shift and not complain or get mad that they have to do so. They should of shown a little bit more compassion and understanding. You just have to look at it this way. Sure the manager wasn't fair but what can you learn from it? I often find that I learn from what everyone posts on this site and hopefully if god sees fit. I will make a great manager one day. Look over the handbook and if you have to take it up with HRIS. That just isn't a good reason to get fired over. I hope this helps and sorry for your loss.

damieng in Tuscaloosa, Alabama

11 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Dollar General ?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Dollar General?[/QUOTThe
The typical day is different depending on what store you work at because some Dollar General locations are busier then others the Dollar General location I use to work at was kind of laid back and not a lot of customers on the weekend so I stocked when we were not bus, but the store location I work at now we stay busy and I never have time to leave the register but for like have a second and i mostly work register and i never stock and which most people who work for dg dont get to only cashier

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluewatergirl in Dowagiac, Michigan

10 months ago

I wish my store had a good manager, we did, but she moved to another store, and one of the assistant managers became the store manager. She's very young (23, I think) and all she wants to do is talk about drama and gossip. She singles me out of everyone else and kind of belittles me. She's friendly with everyone, but me, which I don't understand. I am not allowed to have any breaks when working less than 6 hours unless it's a quick 5 minute smoke break, which I usually take that time to rest and get a much needed drink. The other day I asked for a quick break after running back and forth like a chicken with my head cut off for over 4 hours, the assistant let me go, and when I came walking back in, the store manager starts talking to the assistant manager and says "well, we really don't have to give smoke breaks, because it's not in our policy. Employees that don't smoke, aren't allowed to have any kind of break, which I think is unfair. Plus, I don't pay my employees to go out every hour on the hour." and she kept looking at me when talking about it. I just ignored it, because I don't go out every hour, if I work 5 hours, I go outside one time for 5 minutes. She waited for me to come back in to say that, because she wanted me to hear it.

One night she would not "allow" me to have my half hour lunch until I stocked everything that I was given to stock. It wouldn't have been a problem stocking everything, but I was getting a customer at the register every 3 minutes. I worked 6 hours that night and did not get my lunch till an hour before I had to go home, and I did not have any breaks (not even a "smoke break") beforehand. I've worked in so many different retail places before and they always give at least a 15 minute break, no questions asked, but this place cares more about money than their employees.

Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.