Ecolab amd the economy

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

curiousjen in Portland, Maine

75 months ago

Iwould be interested in hearing from ecolab sales folks that have been with ecolab through an economic downturn or two. My husband is considering a career change to an ecolab territory manager (from restaurant chef) and we were wondering how recession proof cleaning supplies are. Many items are required by health code, so it seems like this is a line item that managers cannot really skimp on. What has been your experience?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Captain Kangaroo in Raleigh, North Carolina

75 months ago

Does not matter what you do, it is going to hard to avoid this economic downturn. I can tell you that even though you think they can buy Eco-Lab products because they need to, what you will be faced with are the Food Service Broadline companys that sell this product far cheaper than Eco-Lab does. Food-serice companies do not require service contracts and can sell the same product for about 25% less plus they sell the product in broken cases which means you can get either one or two canisters that fit in your dishmachines verses Ecolab requiring case amounts. No matter where you go for a change in a career it will effect everything.

dish doctor in South Carolina

74 months ago

curiousjen in Portland, Maine said: Iwould be interested in hearing from ecolab sales folks that have been with ecolab through an economic downturn or two. My husband is considering a career change to an ecolab territory manager (from restaurant chef) and we were wondering how recession proof cleaning supplies are. Many items are required by health code, so it seems like this is a line item that managers cannot really skimp on. What has been your experience?

Don't do it, tell him to get into repair or maintenance field.These type jobs will always be around.
I work for ecolab and economy does effect chemical sales. people will do what they have to to get through a health dept inspection the cheapest way possible!Ecolab is the most expensive products on the market (the best quality also).But all that aside little chang lee over at the chinese buffet dont care about quality or service he cares about his bottom line.Sure it may be cultural but as soon as times get tight other resturants will follow it's a matter of keeping the doors open. we sell top of the line products that people can go to the dollar store and purchase it cheaper Now my job is to break all this down and show you that buying our products is a cheaper way to go.We sell in concentrate and put up dispensers to measure out each spray bottle full.I't malarky it's just as easy to buy it at the store or through a food distributer.They can do without the expensive stuff.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ZigZag in lisbon falls, Maine

64 months ago

curiousjen in Portland, Maine said: Iwould be interested in hearing from ecolab sales folks that have been with ecolab through an economic downturn or two. My husband is considering a career change to an ecolab territory manager (from restaurant chef) and we were wondering how recession proof cleaning supplies are. Many items are required by health code, so it seems like this is a line item that managers cannot really skimp on. What has been your experience?

Ecolab laid off 1,000 employees in January and it is rumored there will be more in June. It is an uncertain market right now.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.