Ecolab does not seem to offer competent wages

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (22)

Midwest in Chicago, Illinois

84 months ago

The company is all about its stock price and THAT IS IT.
You get paid 95% on commision from new and existing customers. If you loose a big customer YOU are screwed in pay!!!!! They also could then take money away from your small base salery when bonus time comes around.

As a Territory Manager, you are on call 24 hours a day!! You have to work some weekends covering for other TM's in your group when its your turn to be on call.

They have a $750 add back to your base salary if you make %100 of budget by gaining new business. (not easy B/C Ecolab is close to a monopoly) I think the $750 dollar amount started in the 80's and they HAVE NEVER RAISED IT!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

newbee

82 months ago

Their pay really bad. With the high demand for service on call, it is really not worth it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Stan in Fort Worth, Texas

81 months ago

newbee said: Their pay really bad. With the high demand for service on call, it is really not worth it.

Average (& I say this: VERY AVERAGE) Territory Manager makes $50,000 to $60,000 per year + N/C company vehicle (Dodge Grand Caravan or Dodge Magnum - employee's choice of vehicle, color, trim, etc) & $330-400/mth for fuel. Good TMs will get to $70,000 - $80,000 range & a few will be well above $100,000 - $125,000 range. Last time I checked the marketplace is not awash with opportunities like these.

24 hrs on call is correct. However, a number of businesses are nursing homes, hospitals and schools. Did anyone see them operating 24 hrs a day? Restaurants very seldom will expect anyone to be there after 8 pm & if they call later than that, they always specify that they want to see you in the morning. Besides, if one has a well taken care of territory, he may get one or two calls per week & seldom there are calls after hours. I do this job for 13 years & I seriously had not have in the past six to nine months an evening call where I had to go to immediately. If they even called late, they would ask to visit them in the morning.

$750 addback to salary is correct when one makes the budget. However, please do not forget the year end bonus of 7% on everything over the previous year sales (even if TM did not make the budget). The $3,000, $4,000 at the end of the year is substantial (& that is just for a very average TM). Then there is $1,000 bonus for visiting all corporate customers during the year. For many of TMs, the bonus range is more like $7,000 to $20,000 range. Not a small potato for me at least.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jim in Oak Grove, Missouri

80 months ago

Stan you have been doing the SAME job for 13 years!!!! How the hell do you get promoted at that company?

And what year did the $750 add back to your base salary start??

You said "Did anyone see them operating 24 hrs a day?" That is fine however I take it you are still on CALL 24 hrs a day. So you really can't go and have a few beers, go to the movies, a ball game, a kids play, etc etc etc etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

John

79 months ago

I have a question for Stan or others in the know. Stan made a comment about how much money "Territory Managers" can make. Is that the correct job title...what about the following?
I have seen some job listings for Account Sales Executive in Pest Elimination AND also some positions with Puritan. Are these territory management jobs with the potential for the money above? How much could I make in south Florida in these two jobs? Of ALL the ECOLAB divisions... in which one can I make the most money?
Thank you for your help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dish doctor in South Carolina

70 months ago

Midwest in Chicago, Illinois said: The company is all about its stock price and THAT IS IT.
You get paid 95% on commision from new and existing customers. If you loose a big customer YOU are screwed in pay!!!!! They also could then take money away from your small base salery when bonus time comes around.

As a Territory Manager, you are on call 24 hours a day!! You have to work some weekends covering for other TM's in your group when its your turn to be on call.

They have a $750 add back to your base salary if you make %100 of budget by gaining new business. (not easy B/C Ecolab is close to a monopoly) I think the $750 dollar amount started in the 80's and they HAVE NEVER RAISED IT!!!!!!!

Amen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

dish doctor in South Carolina

70 months ago

Jim in Oak Grove, Missouri said: Stan you have been doing the SAME job for 13 years!!!! How the hell do you get promoted at that company?

And what year did the $750 add back to your base salary start??

You said "Did anyone see them operating 24 hrs a day?" That is fine however I take it you are still on CALL 24 hrs a day. So you really can't go and have a few beers, go to the movies, a ball game, a kids play, etc etc etc etc.

Yes being on call is crap You get no extra pay for the hours you put in fixing crap.
if you do an install over nite at chilis or some joint like that you get nothing but lack of sleep for the next day..because low and behold you will get a E.S.R. the very next morning "health dept in house service right away"...Thats why my last day with ecolab is tomarro I found a job that pays by the hour for service and there is no sales involved....lets face it there are those wienier pullers out there who worship at the alter of ecolab and there are people like me who are looking for a means TO an end ....not an end!!!
Go ahead be miserable making 60k a year I will just stay out of dept and be just fine fat and happy making what im gonna be making on this new job!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

This company is a joke in Tyler, Texas

63 months ago

So has anyone figured out what year the $750 add back to the base salary started? That would be funny if it really did start in the 1980 and was never raised. It tells you what they think of their employees. I wonder how much the company was making in the 1980 compared to what they are making now. I bet the difference is in the multi billions. All the the backs of their sales employees who never got a dollar above the $750. What a Joke. I think they really are about their Stock and that is it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

evanejp in Salina, Kansas

61 months ago

I worked for Ecolab from the Fall of 2003 until the end of 2007, when I finally made the decision that Ecolab was not going to allow me to advance. I was a RM, and never really was a RMIT because they created the territory the month prior to me starting. I live in the bounies. I was promised at that time that I would make 28500 the first full year and would get a smaller salary and commission after I went to school. My territory was rediculusly over sized. Granted Ecolab had to size it so they could keep a man in the area, but it was 7700 miles. And as you current/past employees know, you get to carry a pager the entire time. Yes if you have a Dennys or Ihop, you WILL get pages 24hrs, and they WILL call you and wake you. After midnight they call, they don't page. I had 4 different AREA route managers, and they hated my route supervisor so they fired him and hired a veteran TM (the TM in my area) to become the supervisor. I took over the route and leased dishmachines after he had maintained them since Ecolab started leaseing them in the 1980s. I spent the better have of a year just fixing the duct-tape and silicone mess he made. Of course I complained, only to get vendetta'd from my soon-to-become boss. He decided to get away from the weekend call rotation and left me holding the bag for calls. It only takes a few months before a person sees the writing on the wall. The new RM that took over left a few weeks ago after only a year with the company. Ecolab tells you to "run the route, don't let it run you, but they will NOT back you up when it comes to demanding customers. Just ask a veteran Rm what he thinks of phase 1's in accounts that have a hard time paying the monthly bill.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

$750 addback to salary is correct when one makes the budget. However, please do not forget the year end bonus of 7% on everything over the previous year sales (even if TM did not make the budget). The $3,000, $4,000 at the end of the year is substantial (& that is just for a very average TM). Then there is $1,000 bonus for visiting all corporate customers during the year. For many of TMs, the bonus range is more like $7,000 to $20,000 range. Not a small potato for me at least.

Are you a TM? Did you know that a TM is required to see the accounts they are secondarily aligned to quarterly? That never happens. The add-back works, and getting to 100% isn't impossible. Ecolab gave the tools needed to make it, they are the leader in the business. I always made 100% after I got the territorie's machines working in order, but you will never escape the pager.

I got the 750 add-back, but along with commissions, and buying of accts, but you will lose most of it when they take out their share of the commissions. The salary always changed based on your sales. You may get a 750 raise, but they will lower your salary.

I say work for Ecolab, but DON'T expect to stay there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

John said: I have a question for Stan or others in the know. Stan made a comment about how much money "Territory Managers" can make. Is that the correct job title...what about the following?
I have seen some job listings for Account Sales Executive in Pest Elimination AND also some positions with Puritan. Are these territory management jobs with the potential for the money above? How much could I make in south Florida in these two jobs? Of ALL the ECOLAB divisions... in which one can I make the most money?
Thank you for your help!

Institutional is the most profitable, and most of the time Ecolab wants you to start there. I've never heard of anyone making 100k at Ecolab as a peon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

The stock value is the most important thing on Ecolab's plate, but you are also a stockholder because your 401k is in stock, so it's in your best interest to make sure you get 100% too. I heard it more than a few times from my superiors: stay out and sell (on the last few days of the quarter end) until you got to 100%. You can forget the 40hr work week, you will work more than that. There is an Ecolab RM lawsuit in place now because of the managements attitude towards their employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

So...

Your making more than the district managers and area managers? Hmmm.

KennyBo in Wichita, Kansas

44 months ago

Stan in Fort Worth, Texas said: Average (& I say this: VERY AVERAGE) Territory Manager makes $50,000 to $60,000 per year + N/C company vehicle (Dodge Grand Caravan or Dodge Magnum - employee's choice of vehicle, color, trim, etc) & $330-400/mth for fuel. Good TMs will get to $70,000 - $80,000 range & a few will be well above $100,000 - $125,000 range. Last time I checked the marketplace is not awash with opportunities like these.

24 hrs on call is correct. However, a number of businesses are nursing homes, hospitals and schools. Did anyone see them operating 24 hrs a day? Restaurants very seldom will expect anyone to be there after 8 pm & if they call later than that, they always specify that they want to see you in the morning. Besides, if one has a well taken care of territory, he may get one or two calls per week & seldom there are calls after hours. I do this job for 13 years & I seriously had not have in the past six to nine months an evening call where I had to go to immediately. If they even called late, they would ask to visit them in the morning.

Stan is talking about life in a metropolitan area with a ton of business and many associates nearyby. He has not one clue about the world in rural markets where Ecolab already has most of the smaller customers and all of the big ones. An area where the next nearest associate is over an hour away and getting call coverage for your territory is slim and none and slim's out of town.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

max1691 in Maple Shade, New Jersey

40 months ago

Seems to me that the people who like working at ecolab have not worked some where good. My brother works at a large utility in jersey and they are on standby Saturday or Sunday a half dozen times a year. During the busy seasons they usually pull 16 hours. That's time in a half on Saturday and double time on Sunday, meal money every six hours and 3 hours straight pay if they are called in or not, that's a good job. Stan makes it sound rosy but so many others don't, installs over night and you still have to work in the morning standby 1 of 6 weekends covering huge area plenty of pressure above...from what i am reading there are plenty of emergency calls which mean don't go to a ball game movie or as someone commented don't have a few beers...crazy...I heard enough passed up my interview..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dusterdude in Newark, Ohio

38 months ago

max1691 in Maple Shade, New Jersey said: Seems to me that the people who like working at ecolab have not worked some where good. My brother works at a large utility in jersey and they are on standby Saturday or Sunday a half dozen times a year. During the busy seasons they usually pull 16 hours. That's time in a half on Saturday and double time on Sunday, meal money every six hours and 3 hours straight pay if they are called in or not, that's a good job. Stan makes it sound rosy but so many others don't, installs over night and you still have to work in the morning standby 1 of 6 weekends covering huge area plenty of pressure above...from what i am reading there are plenty of emergency calls which mean don't go to a ball game movie or as someone commented don't have a few beers...crazy...I heard enough passed up my interview..

you done the right thing and dont think twice about your decision.i worked at plant 250 hebron ohio for 14 years.the 1st 5 as a bulk loader/unloader of rail cars+tankers-7 more as a chemical mixer and 2 more as a maintence tech.this company is totaly driven by cost+profit.it was much better under al schuman i felt he cared for his people and plant managers and supervisors seem to follow his lead.although he is still on the board of directors holding his money sack out and having it stuffed and supporting doug baker the newer ceo of recent years at st.paul he could give a dam less about anything else other than taking from there employees to maximise profit.the more this companys earning are the more bonuses and stock rewards they and other officers make(including individual plant managers)i never ever received a bonus,performance cash,and neither did any other plant peons other than our hourly wage.broken equipment=riggged togeather to run because of no repair parts,work orders sent to purchasing ignoired until someone got hurt and reported to osha,no rubber gloves all the time.15yr tax abaitment up they move the plants

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

evanejp in Salina, Kansas said: The stock value is the most important thing on Ecolab's plate, but you are also a stockholder because your 401k is in stock, so it's in your best interest to make sure you get 100% too. I heard it more than a few times from my superiors: stay out and sell (on the last few days of the quarter end) until you got to 100%. You can forget the 40hr work week, you will work more than that. There is an Ecolab RM lawsuit in place now because of the managements attitude towards their employees.

that explains why all the returns of products in the middle of the month(ultra kleen.permatex blue.kay blue to burger king+mcdonalds,these returns come from everywhere all kinds of accounts.reason for returnWE DIDNT ORDER THIS PRODUCT we already have more than we need.the more people a manager fires the more of that a boy your doing your job,even though there sitting on there butt and wont came out of the air conditioning and heated office unless drug or things on the production floor escalates out of control.people acussed,written up-fired for things done wrong that they were told to do by incompedent manager who blames it all on the so called assoicate,for me i had more supervisors than i can even remember to count,mostley all young right out of college with there chemical engineer and food science degree"s nowin it all,but once they see how the place is ran THEY LEAVE because it truely has to be better elsewhere.AND IT IS

38 months ago

Stan in Fort Worth, Texas said: Average (& I say this: VERY AVERAGE) Territory Manager makes $50,000 to $60,000 per year + N/C company vehicle (Dodge Grand Caravan or Dodge Magnum - employee's choice of vehicle, color, trim, etc) & $330-400/mth for fuel. Good TMs will get to $70,000 - $80,000 range & a few will be well above $100,000 - $125,000 range. Last time I checked the marketplace is not awash with opportunities like these.

$750 addback to salary is correct when one makes the budget. However, please do not forget the year end bonus of 7% on everything over the previous year sales (even if TM did not make the budget). The $3,000, $4,000 at the end of the year is substantial (& that is just for a very average TM). Then there is $1,000 bonus for visiting all corporate customers during the year. For many of TMs, the bonus range is more like $7,000 to $20,000 range. Not a small potato for me at least.[/QUOTE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

the most i ever made was as a chemical mixer(lord only knows how many years that took from my life)worked doing the job of 2-3 people.mandatory overtime for months on end(6 days a week all on 3rd with there wooping .25 cent shift differental)10-12 hour shifts was 43.000 and something.management(doug baker and oscar rodrigus)still had to take from the employees.shift time was 11-7 they came up with 10:30-7:30am(CANT PAY YOU FOR LUNCH TIME AND YOUR 2-15MIN.BREAKS you gotta now work even longer for that 2 percent yearly increase)cannot use personal time or vacation for manditory overtime unless put in for at the 1st of year no show=absence write up=your done.ecolab will always need salesman in every town+market but plant locations go from 1 tax abaitment to the next.take note all u other employees see the postings constantly of a plant shut and moving,when are u next?when the free ride ends from your state or countyTHATS WHEN

38 months ago

Saf Pro in Los Angeles, California said: Whatever happened to this company? Ecolab was a strong highly desirable company in the late 1990s.

YOUR RIGHT.i started in 1995 al baby as ceo who started with them in the 50"s walking the street selling solex powdered soap he knew the meaning of true hard work and rewarded the plants and people with 5 and 6 percent increses.pizza lunchs extravigant thanksgiving meals catered in.big hams for cristmas,sent vcr video messages speaking directly to his people gratiously thanking us for our hard work telling us of our known sacrafices to his and OUR company ive seen him cry and i now it came from his heart not anything like this fake crap from dougy boy(doug baker)heck i cant count the times told were going to buy each shift pizza lunch post it on the board plant anounce it to all were feeding u dont need to bring a lunch or eat from the sandwich machine(also known as the wheel of death)and it would not show up AT ALL.associates cant leave property for lunch but managers can IMAGINE THAT and they wonder why when the union came knokin in2006 in only lost by 23 votes out of 133 employees. guess thats why most other ecolabs are union plants.opened new plant in martinsburg wv.under dougy they tryed to unionize in 3-4yrs after opening blamed cris maben for it fired him as plant manager but he was only doing as told by uper management(cris was a good people person i was hired and worked for him everybody was his family god loving man-definatly out of place in the new ecolab dougy vision)that vision is profit at ANY expense=PERFORMANCE DRIVEN IS WHAT HE CALLS IT associates are a dime a dozen to him wear one out get another.heck if we had his job for 5 years we wouldnt need to work the rest of our life,money hand over fist.but without ecolabs great employees there hard work and dedication and persuit to put out a tangable product no mater what it takes(including filling pails of L2000 with a garden hose-1drop ur burnt ba

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

dusterdude in Newark, Ohio said: YOUR RIGHT.i started in 1995 al baby as ceo who started with them in the 50"s walking the street selling solex powdered soap he knew the meaning of true hard work and rewarded the plants and people with 5 and 6 percent increses.pizza lunchs extravigant thanksgiving meals catered in.big hams for cristmas,sent vcr video messages speaking directly to his people gratiously thanking us for our hard work telling us of our known sacrafices to his and OUR company ive seen him cry and i now it came from his heart not anything like this fake crap from dougy boy(doug baker)heck i cant count the times told were going to buy each shift pizza lunch post it on the board plant anounce it to all were feeding u dont need to bring a lunch or eat from the sandwich machine(also known as the wheel of death)and it would not show up AT ALL.associates cant leave property for lunch but managers can IMAGINE THAT and they wonder why when the union came knokin in2006 in only lost by 23 votes out of 133 employees. guess thats why most other ecolabs are union plants.opened new plant in martinsburg wv.under dougy they tryed to unionize in 3-4yrs after opening blamed cris maben for it fired him as plant manager but he was only doing as told by uper management(cris was a good people person i was hired and worked for him everybody was his family god loving man-definatly out of place in the new ecolab dougy vision)that vision is profit at ANY expense=PERFORMANCE DRIVEN IS WHAT HE CALLS IT associates are a dime a dozen to him wear one out get another.heck if we had his job for 5 years we wouldnt need to work the rest of our life,money hand over fist.but without ecolabs great employees there hard work and dedication and persuit to put out a tangable product no mater what it takes(including filling pails of L2000 with a garden hose-1drop ur burnt ba

burnt up bad consider your self lucky.L2000 will eat off your toes if splashed down your boots

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Billy in Statesboro, Georgia

27 months ago

KennyBo in Wichita, Kansas said: Stan is talking about life in a metropolitan area with a ton of business and many associates nearyby. He has not one clue about the world in rural markets where Ecolab already has most of the smaller customers and all of the big ones. An area where the next nearest associate is over an hour away and getting call coverage for your territory is slim and none and slim's out of town.

This man is speaking the truth...... You get a rural route, you will hate this job!!!! You'll never get rest, never see your family. And if you work nights I hope you don't fall asleep at the wheel. Just when you're finished for the month.... it starts all over again...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.