I can't find a decent job

Comments (16)

Patty Fraser in Bradenton, Florida

92 months ago

hello,
i was laid off from a long term position in may & have yet to find a decent position. i been offered a couple but they were not something i would be content doing for any length of time. i am 56 years old, i do not have an associates degree or any other degree aside from my ged, i am not bilingual & i can not afford to work for anything less than 10$ per hour & that is only marginally acceptable (i have been making 15$ an hour for the past 4 years). i am not being snitty or hard azzed about this, florida has become very expensive to live in & my home is also in a fema designated flood zone.
is anyone else having such a difficult time?
thanx much
patty

Japanese Bilingual in Frisco, Texas

91 months ago

Patty Fraser in Bradenton, Florida said: hello,
i was laid off from a long term position in may & have yet to find a decent position. i been offered a couple but they were not something i would be content doing for any length of time. i am 56 years old, i do not have an associates degree or any other degree aside from my ged, i am not bilingual & i can not afford to work for anything less than 10$ per hour & that is only marginally acceptable (i have been making 15$ an hour for the past 4 years). i am not being snitty or hard azzed about this, florida has become very expensive to live in & my home is also in a fema designated flood zone.
thanx much
patty

Unfortunately, your situation is common for most Females over 45. I've experienced it. I've met numberious very, very well educated people in much less expensive states that are also being offered Commission Only or Low hourly wage like yours. Uhhh going from $100,000. a year to $10. an hour isn't a good thing either!

You must retrain into something.
In my area you can get a minimum of $15 an hour to $25. per my checking around as a Dental Assistant. While at the Dentist a lady told me she was lay-off permanently from the mortgage industry 2 times. The local Community College offered a 8 week / 1 day a week training. There are some Grants available from some states when you've been involuntarily unemployed. Grants are free money never to be repaid. Here the cost runs just under $2000. if you pay for it.

After 45 you can't fake Young & Cute any more. Rarely will you be socially more cute than an under 32 person.
I know this personally.

YOU MUST retrain to something solid.

I have family in Tampa & extended family in Brandenton. I know the cost. Can't believe you can find any plance to live at all at $10. unless you've OWNED a residence for 20 + years.

At 56 you will likely live for at least 25 more years.

Over 45 Descrimination is Rampant in Frisco, Texas

91 months ago

Unfortunately, your situation is common for most Females over 45. I've experienced it. I've met numberious very, very well educated people in much less expensive states that are also being offered Commission Only or Low hourly wage like yours. Uhhh going from $100,000. a year to $10. an hour isn't a good thing either!

In my area you can get a minimum of $15 an hour to $25. per my checking around as a Dental Assistant. While at the Dentist a lady told me she was lay-off permanently from the mortgage industry 2 times. The local Community College offered a 8 week / 1 day a week training. There are some Grants available from some states when you've been involuntarily unemployed. Grants are free money never to be repaid. Here the cost runs just under $2000. if you pay for it.

After 45 you can't fake Young & Cute any more. Rarely will you be socially more cute than an under 32 person.
I know this personally.

I have family in Tampa & extended family in Brandenton. I know the cost. Can't believe you can find any plance to live at all at $10. unless you've OWNED a residence for 20 + years.

You will need savings for health care if nothing else. At least insurance. It will be a fat chance that you'll be able to save appropriately when you/I/anyone is only making $10. or even $15. per hour.

How will you support yourself at 66?

boortz sales weasel in Nitro, West Virginia

88 months ago

No need to fear commission jobs. They are the only jobs out there where you get paid exactly what you are worth. you earn according to you efforts. Once you have been in a sales job and work hard and earn lots of money because of your hard work, you will never work a non-sales Job again. you succeed or fail according to your own efforts. no one but you determines how much you will make. Sales is the most liberating and rewording job on earth. Don't shun it. Don't run from it. Embrace it!

boortz sales weasel in Rancho Cuamonga, California

88 months ago

rewarding...
sorry for the typo

deansuraci in Cornwall On Hudson, New York

88 months ago

what do you sell?

Jobs in Frisco, Texas

88 months ago

I've been in Sales for over 15 years. In the early years commission was indeed the predominate bulk of my pay. As I moved up to higher level and longer sales cycles products/services the base got higher with commissions varying.

I can tell you it is very, very high risk as the companies can change the commission structure at anytime to reduce your earnings per sale. I've had this done repeatedly. The base pay is the only part that helps influence CFO's and Executives to look at their pricing & business plan to verify if it's within the market range of reality.

I can't tell you how many Fortune 500 companies, much less the smaller companies are clueless about the actual current market. Often the CFO wants xyz revenue-profit and thus makes up the commission plan & pricing based on only the profit that is desired vs. fulling researching the reality of the market. SAD.

In Sales shoot for the Manager level which will bring you a Strong base pay + commission. Managers are not the 1st to be downsized! Sales people cuts are the 1st group to be made "leaner" or "right sized" when the Executives make bad decisions that don't match the current economy.

Straight Commission? Wow! If you are downsized you will not be eligible for Unemployment through many states. You might need Unemployment to tide you through or to prevent you from draining your savings.....

boortz sales weasel in Lava Hot Springs, Idaho

88 months ago

Change is a normal part of any business. You just have to change with it. Change and adapt. That's what has kept Homo sapiens alive this long. Always plan ahead. You know that sales can be feast or famine at times. You have to plan for the lean times.

As for the "high risk" element, the first thing you learn in finance 101 is that risk and return are inseparable entities...but does that keep you from investing? You manage the risk in investing by diversification. You manage the risk in sales by adaptation and diversification. Always learn about new things. Always hone your skills. That way if things go sour, you can sell something else fairly quickly. A lot of times you can merely sell something else within the same company.

What do I sell? I sell myself. Everyday. I make sure I take good care of every customer I meet. Then they buy from you no matter what you are selling.

I'm surprised that a company would cut back on the very people who actually move their products. That make no sense to me but then again companies sometimes do foolish things and ultimately too many bad choices lead to failure. Thats why successful companies make the right choices more often than the wrong choices.

Jobs - Age Discrimination in Frisco, Texas

88 months ago

Just as with investments a person must determine their risk comfort level.

A person with children to care for must/should consider this risk 1st and formost before choosing to be 100% commission.

CFO's often think left brain. Just the numbers and statistics are truly understood. CFO's are usually the ones who decide to cut employees. Frequently they do no understand the relationship regarding the MUST value of the sales people and the people who care for the customers after the sale.

Many Fortune 500's have done no different than the smaller companies. Sure they found at later that some decisions weren't a good choice. Unfortuneately they had done this at the expense of the employees jobs.

Often Executives believe that sales people should only be making x$ per year. This means that when the top people start reaching the higher earnings that the Executives often feel the sales people's pay is too close to their own.

I'm certain on this one as I've had this experience and had a CFO tell me I was earning too much. He felt it must be to easy to meet the commission plan. Now this hardly made since since I was earning $125K and 99% of the rest of the 425 Nationwide sales force was earning under $30K with the exact same lack of company help and the exact same commission plan and the exact same everything else. The only difference was the individual - ME!

The Rooster in El Paso, Texas

86 months ago

Its not just females over a peticular age, its everyone. Im not yalls age and Im male. Most of the offers that I get are low-wage or commission only. Im not a realator or a car salesman. In my opinion those should be the only sales jobs with a commission only structure. Some egg-head in some companys HR dept back in the late 90s thought Comm. only was a real good idea. I wish I could meet him.The good news is sales is one of the few posions that cant be out-sourced. The same egg-head tried it a few years ago and gave call-center jobs over to the good folks in India. In the past few monthes, the companies that did that realized that the American consumer does not react well to that peticular method of cost cutting genius. Comm. only companies do not care about the salesman and, moreover ,do not care about the customer. Its an insult to everyone involved.

Captain Kangaroo in Raleigh, North Carolina

86 months ago

TO THE ROOSTER.....Go and get a truck driving job with one of the major trucking carriers. Some pay well because it seems that you have never been happy in sales but, want to work in sales. GO get some big rig training and you will be set with no worries....

Make Believe in Lawrenceville, Georgia

84 months ago

Sales is the in thing these days, I'm a Mary Kay Consultant and our company is one of the few where you promote yourself and you're compensated by your efforts.

It is true, going into management quickly is the best decision in any sales position. In network marketing environments like Mary Kay, this is a good thing because you decide and work hard to get to the top.

Captain Kangaroo in Raleigh, North Carolina

84 months ago

What a Robot Company to get a career with.. Its all "Yes Sir" "No Sir" attitude. Why not hire people with ideas. Their hiring test is crazy. I suggest that you answer everything as mediocore cause if you are "top notch" in sales.. Forget it .. it cancels your interview for Ecolab....Sad but true... The world is coming to a bunch of College Suits who no nothing about the industry. That is what there are so many jobs re-posted.. Wake Up People. ALL the HR people are young litte pretty girls with pony tails that are sitting at a desk looking cute and pretty and sounding so nice.. Ask the "hard core" Questions and tell them about the industry and they have no clue.......

OZ chick in Carrollton, Texas

49 months ago

Retraining doesn't necessarily cut it either though. I am 40 and decided I wanted a career a few years ago (aside from working as a freelance artist), graduated with highest honors with a 4 year degree 3.5 years ago, and am currently working a job in loss prevention for a take home amount of $17,000 a year, 40 hours a week.
I have certifications, have done volunteer work in the field, have done extra training, and still can't get a decent job, and my industry is supposed to be one that is in demand.

While I agree, training can't hurt, going into a new career is just as bad, particularly because employers are looking for experience in a particular field WITH up to date training. However you are probably in a better position than me simply because you do have experience that can be applyed and added with futher training. I unfortunately do not.

Believe me, I'm not trying to be a downer, but people out there will try to convince you that you have to have this and that, but its difficult all round. My husband has nearly 20 years experience in his field but has lived in another state for the past 2 years due to a new job after he was laid off here.

Be prepared to move. That's my honest opinion. It may be hard but sometimes necessary.

lpsharron in Livonia, Michigan

49 months ago

Patty Fraser in Bradenton, Florida said: hello,
thanx much
patty

yes, it seems to be every where, also i have tried to get into Ecolab for a while, any insight into that/

lw6741@gmaill.com in Florence, Alabama

3 months ago

Japanese Bilingual in Frisco, Texas said: Unfortunately, your situation is common for most Females over 45. I've experienced it. I've met numberious very, very well educated people in much less expensive states that are also being offered Commission Only or Low hourly wage like yours. Uhhh going from $100,000. a year to $10. an hour isn't a good thing either!

In my area you can get a minimum of $15 an hour to $25. per my checking around as a Dental Assistant . While at the Dentist a lady told me she was lay-off permanently from the mortgage industry 2 times. The local Community College offered a 8 week / 1 day a week training. There are some Grants available from some states when you've been involuntarily unemployed. Grants are free money never to be repaid. Here the cost runs just under $2000. if you pay for it.

I know this personally.

"You can't fake young and pretty after 45"? That is an understatement. You cannot fake young and pretty in the late 30s. After one turns 40, they will feel the affects of age discrimination. This is the absolute truth. I have seen a lot of it and experienced it myself. Unless one has connections and loads of experience, she will be doing a never-ending job search. It is a nation wide agenda to hire YOUNG college grads as first choice for many positions that require either entry lever or under five years experience. And I stress on the word "young". It is a sad fact but true.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.