How to get a job at Edward Jones.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 2384)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

e-rod in Las Vegas, Nevada

107 months ago

Hello Bobbi, I noticed you currently work for Edward Jones, I recently had my first screen interview and my application was submitted for a backround review about 4 days ago. I fit the EJ criteria perfectly and have done extensive research on what they are looking for. I have over 3 years sales experience and have been in the top 5% of the sales force for both companies..My income has steadily increased since I started my career which has consisted of almost all commision so I am not afraid to grind and knock door to door or work a commision job...no heres where you might be helpful, I dont have a college degree and I am a young individual, in your opinion, how much will these 2 things factor into the selective hiring process at EJ? This is my dream job and I think my age might actually work to my advantage being that I have plenty of years to offer to the company.

Bobbi in Gadsden, Alabama said: Well, PN, welcome to the firm! If you have made it as far as the face to face interview, I am sure by now you have an offer. Please contact me at my e-mail address b_carr@aya.yale.edu, and I will properly introduce myself. Congratulations on joining a fine company.
Best regards,
Bobbi

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

107 months ago

Hello I noticed you currently work for Edward Jones, I recently had my first screen interview and my application was submitted for a backround review about 4 days ago. I fit the EJ criteria perfectly and have done extensive research on what they are looking for. I have over 3 years sales experience and have been in the top 5% of the sales force for both companies..My income has steadily increased since I started my career which has consisted of almost all commision so I am not afraid to grind and knock door to door or work a commision job...no heres where you might be helpful, I dont have a college degree and I am a young individual, in your opinion, how much will these 2 things factor into the selective hiring process at EJ? This is my dream job and I think my age might actually work to my advantage being that I have plenty of years to offer to the company.

C in Chicago, Illinois said: I went through the entire process to become a Financial Advisor. Some of the responses have been false, for example the gentleman who said they PROBABLY used his contacts. That is hard to do if you only have a person's name and not their address.

The whole process is overwhelming, but what it comes down to is two very simple things in order to get hired. Well lets make that 3 things.

1. Get the interview. This is the most important part because you are starting your OWN business with Edward Jones and if you don't have purple hair or have any felonies on your record then you are going to get hired.

2. Be comfortable with doorknocking. This is key to YOUR business once again. If you are comfortable with this then you will succeed in this business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

K in Inglewood, California

107 months ago

C in Chicago, Illinois said:
The whole process is overwhelming, but what it comes down to is two very simple things in order to get hired. Well lets make that 3 things.

1. Get the interview. This is the most important part because you are starting your OWN business with Edward Jones and if you don't have purple hair or have any felonies on your record then you are going to get hired.

3. Don't lie on your application. Being a financial advisor especially being certified for a position that entails you selling securities and other financial vehicles, they have to go through an extensive background check. They check EVERYTHING, so don't lie about it. If you do, they will let you go through all the rounds and then tell you that your consumer report does not match what you reported.

C in Chicago, Illinois said:

Thank you very much for the information. I just went through the phone screen and am making my appointment to meet the FA in my area. I have solid sales experience and feel that I am a good fit for EJ as a Financial Advisor. I am a little nervous about the background check, mainly because people on this post have mentioned it's importance. I don't have much there past some bad credit lines. I don't have any criminal records or Bankruptcies. I have given a full account of my work history. Is there anything else I should be concerned with for the BC?? I am concerned about my credit history. Thanks again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

107 months ago

to "C" in Chicago (or anyone with info on my ??): The second comment above is actually my question. got the wrong html code at the end of your quote.

Here it is again:
Thank you very much for the information. I just went through the phone screen and am making my appointment to meet the FA in my area. I have solid sales experience and feel that I am a good fit for EJ as a Financial Advisor. I am a little nervous about the background check, mainly because people on this post have mentioned it's importance. I don't have much there past some bad credit lines. I don't have any criminal records or Bankruptcies. I have given a full account of my work history. Is there anything else I should be concerned with for the BC?? I am concerned about my credit history. Thanks again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Moogiegurl in Pensacola, Florida

107 months ago

I met with the FA, had my phone interview where it was discovered that I had a hospital bill that had gone into collections a few years prior. The fact that the hospital bill was over $2,000 knocked me out of being considered, until I pay it off. It is, evidently, a compliance issue and has nothing to do with whether a person is suited for the job otherwise. Evidently Edward Jones has to uphold their compliance policy and they hire NO ONE with debts that have gone to collection if the debt is still outstanding, even if you are paying on it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

107 months ago

wow thanks moogiegurl. i was afraid of that. i wonder though why they don't let you know that at the beginning. i am not sure how mine will pan out. now i am a little nervous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

107 months ago

So did they turn you down because it was over $2000? or because you had collection history?. I have collections..most are paid off..and i think i still have a couple of 2-$300 credit cards that i need to pay..do you think this will affect me?

Moogiegurl in Pensacola, Florida said: I met with the FA, had my phone interview where it was discovered that I had a hospital bill that had gone into collections a few years prior. The fact that the hospital bill was over $2,000 knocked me out of being considered, until I pay it off. It is, evidently, a compliance issue and has nothing to do with whether a person is suited for the job otherwise. Evidently Edward Jones has to uphold their compliance policy and they hire NO ONE with debts that have gone to collection if the debt is still outstanding, even if you are paying on it.

107 months ago

My understanding is if it is under $1500 that you have left to pay, they will make an exception. You do need to disclose this to the recruiter when they call you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

107 months ago

You have to disclose it when the recruiter calls you and does the initial screening. They should have asked you directly if you had any bad debts, or anything in collections. I would be surprised if they didn't ask.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

107 months ago

Thanks for that. That makes me feel a lot better. I will talk to the recruiter about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

107 months ago

thanks alot my collections equal $1100 so i think im good...I will call my recruiter tommorow...or should I wait till friday?? friday is my 1 hour interview.

kellyss in Janesville, Wisconsin

107 months ago

I received a call/message on answer machine from EJ after doing the two phone interviews, and the FA face to face for a BOA position. I see on this board about your credit history and was wondering if they have the same strictness with BOA as a FA? I had some credit issues and was wondering if they have called and the message said they had an employment offer, did they already do this check and I am ok, or will they do it once I accept the offer as further background checking? Thanks for any help!
K

107 months ago

well today i had a phone interview and I was asked about the collections I had to send over a statement expaining them and the status of them, he told me it shouldnt be a problem but that he cant give me a definite answer because he doesnt know what compliance will say...this is killing me i hope it doesnt come back to haunt me..my collections total $900 and I will pay them if it affects anything...if you got an offer already then your all set.

kellyss in Janesville, Wisconsin said: I received a call/message on answer machine from EJ after doing the two phone interviews, and the FA face to face for a BOA position. I see on this board about your credit history and was wondering if they have the same strictness with BOA as a FA? I had some credit issues and was wondering if they have called and the message said they had an employment offer, did they already do this check and I am ok, or will they do it once I accept the offer as further background checking? Thanks for any help!
K

107 months ago

Are you going for FA or for a BOA position or doesn't it matter. I have nothing in collections now, but after a seperation from my husband a year ago, I did get behind on some card bills and struggled for a bit to pay them, so I am not sure what this will do. The phone message I got stated that they wanted to discuss an employment opportunity(for the position I had been interviewing for), but I noticed that they re-posted the job on a certain job site again yesterday. Not sure what this means, but I guess I'll have to wait until Monday to find out.
Thanks,
K

107 months ago

Im going for the FA position which I think would require stricter guidlines since the FA is the one directly dealing with the finances.Dont worry about the re-post they need a back up.In their eyes you still havent accepted the postion so they always keep looking.

kellyss in Janesville, Wisconsin said: Are you going for FA or for a BOA position or doesn't it matter. I have nothing in collections now, but after a seperation from my husband a year ago, I did get behind on some card bills and struggled for a bit to pay them, so I am not sure what this will do. The phone message I got stated that they wanted to discuss an employment opportunity(for the position I had been interviewing for), but I noticed that they re-posted the job on a certain job site again yesterday. Not sure what this means, but I guess I'll have to wait until Monday to find out.
Thanks,
K

107 months ago

Thanks,
I am not too worried, if I get this job GREAT! But if not then I am scheduled to go back to school in Business Management, so it is a win-win either way.
I would LOVE to get this job as it is only 3 miles from my house, and it sounds like a great company to work for, but I also realize I have made credit mistakes in the past, and will have to deal with the consequences if that is the case. I know there are other companies that will hire me for my experience, and on top of that my new schooling if that is the case, so I am OK with whatever happens. Thank you for the info! I appreciate the help!
K

williewonder in Belmont, North Carolina

107 months ago

I've had two telephone interviews and am set for a f2f next week, and am required to have contacts and surveys. Is this where I will recieve the offer? Is there another f2f before the offer? Is there a drug test?

107 months ago

well I just got a call back from the recruiter, he went through compliance and i guess my collections are ok. now I have to give him a call back for the next step.I think its the face to face after this..williwonder I have the same question as you. But I dont think you receive the offer right then and there, you receive a call back with an offer because everything has to be re-reviewed by he hiring team.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Missy in Bradenton, Florida

107 months ago

Hi everyone, as far as the hiring process goes, it is like a 10 step process. It is depicted in the website how it goes. If you get past the interview process, it is the least of your worries! there are about 4 phone interwiews and 2 face to face. Then comes all the paperwork, criminal backround checks, fingerprints etc. If you have ever been arrested, you will not get a job offer. Even if you are 40 now and when you were 20 you were arrested for having a fake ID. After all is said and done and an offer is made and a hire date is agreed on, you start the studying process. You a re put into a group of about 50 people from around the country to study for the Series 7. I studied for about 70 hrs a week for 2 months. The 2 months are very intense. You need total family support. Someone picking kids up from school etc. Nobody could believe what I was doing. Constant conference calls, daily tests, etc. I did not have a day off the whole time. When it came time to take the Series, I missed it by 2 questions. It is a pass/fail situation. And if you don't pass you are let go. I left my career of 10 yrs to do this and just like that done, no job. Its okay though, it allowed me to see other opprotunities to open up. EJ is an amazing company though. Just realize what you are getting into. Everything EJ says though, word for word is true! Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

107 months ago

Ok, here is what has happened with me as of now for a BOA position. I did the two phone interviews, the face to face with the FA in the office, the skills test also at that time, I received a phone call from recruiter and we finally made contact today after playing phone tag for two days. I was offered the position, CONTINGENT on the background check. I asked her about the credit check and she told me for this position they look at bankruptcies, liens, and judgements, if you have any that are ongoing and/or not discharged off your report, YOU WILL NOT BE HIRED FOR BOA. I should be just fine in this area, so I will know in 5-7 business days if the offer holds. They are sending out the employee info today via UPS and once the background goes through and I return the paperwork I was offered a start date of January 2, 2008, which I accepted. SO, I think I am feeling pretty good about things and I will keep you posted.
K

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nick McDevitt in Florida

107 months ago

The arrested thing is incorrect. I am sorry that you studied 70 hrs for 2 months and didn't pass............

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

107 months ago

Nick McDevitt in Florida said: The arrested thing is incorrect. I am sorry that you studied 70 hrs for 2 months and didn't pass............

Nick, how do you know? Do you work for EJ in HR/recruiting? I don't know maybe the EJ recruiter was lying to me. There were two of us in the process and that was the outcome. As far as your sarcasm for not passing the Series... grow up. This is supposed to be an informative site for those intrested in the company. I am assuming you have a 7 license, so you should appreciate that it is not an easy test by any means, if so everyone would be a stockbroker. I had no prior experience whatsoever in the industry and it was difficult, I'm not scared to admit it. I am just trying to give out any info I have to help anyone trying to make a decision. If anyone has anymore questions, I'd love to help with anything I can! Again this is an amazing opprotunity, and a great company!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

107 months ago

can someone give me some insight please..as to where I am and if i am being seriously considered for the FA position or just dragged along the process.

Ive had 3 phone conversations-only 2 of these seemed like "interviews" .

I did the office visit and I am scheduled to move forward in the process on dec 17th I will be getting a call for another 15-20 minute "conversation" about the points discussed in the office visit. Does anyone know if I am seriously being considered? or what sort of questions will be asked in this phone conversation.The steps on the EJ website tell me theres just 1 phone interview which I though I had completed so i was expecting the Face -to-Face next, im just a bit confused and I really want this job, I have put every other offer on hold for this potential opportunity and I dont know if its a good idea to continue or I will just keep getting dragged on.Its been over a month already.

mchristianson1976 in Oak Forest, Illinois

107 months ago

If anyone is looking for an alternative to Edward Jones in the U.S. contact me. I'm offering an independent opportunity that is very similar but with less of the hiring hassles. Same independent type set up so as long as you pass the necessary background checks and seem to be the right fit you have a career. I hate to use the word job because most people associate that with hourly wage. Email me at mchristianson1976@sbcglobal.net.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Ann Kelley in Detroit, Michigan

107 months ago

I have been considering applying to EJ but I am concerned with the background check and what they really look at. After going thru a very difficult divorce, I was left with absolutely nothing and had to build a life for my kids and I and it has been a very difficult road. There have been late payments on and off and a few collections that checker my unfortuante board !! How will these things come into play and is it worth the while even applying??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

tfrank in Snellville, Georgia

107 months ago

Over two weeks ago, I applied online for a BOA position that is open at a local office and I haven't heard anything back yet. How long does it normally take before you hear something? I know several people that currently work in the office and they were all excited that I had applied and thought that I would be a good fit to work there, so I am kind of surprised that I haven't even received a phone call. As of last week, my resume had not even been sent to them from the St. Louis office. Also, I am trying to figure out if maybe the reason St. Louis hasn't forwarded my resume is because of something that was on the application. I'm wondering if maybe it was the requested salary. I am currently making $12.50 per hour in my current job, so I just wrote that as the requested salary...is that too much??? Too little???

107 months ago

I GOT THE JOB!!!! I am so excited! I start on January 2 as BOA in the new Milton, WI office! I got the call yesterday that the background and credit check came back approved and I can work for EJ!
Thanks for the support here!
K

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

GonetoGood in Woodbridge, Virginia

107 months ago

It has been ten days since my face to face interview and I have not heard back. Do they give you a call if you get the position? If you do not do they still call or do they send you a letter? Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

107 months ago

Yes, they will call you back. The person who conducted the face to face, possibly did not get back to home office right away w/ how the interview went. Good luck. Why not give St Louis a call?

GonetoGood in Woodbridge, Virginia

107 months ago

Excellent, thanks for the response. I just called and emailed my contact in St. Louis so maybe I will hear something from soon. Thanks again!

tfrank in Atlanta, Georgia

107 months ago

One more question, are BOAs required to travel? I know it sounds silly, but I hate to fly and now I am wondering if the job requires you to go meetings in St. Louis.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

hbagent in La Palma, California

107 months ago

I had my last face to face today. Back ground check is done etc etc. This has almost taken me 2 months. I dont feel worried at all I worked for the same mortgage company for almost ten years and sold my ass off. 48 Million in business last year. THey are very picky on back ground and if you can not handle rejection I think. I think this is a great company and will let you know my outcome.

HBAGENT

107 months ago

BOA's do not really travel. They had a yearly mtg for the region and it was done south in Miamai. FA's travel a little and the BOA's have to be in the office to hold down the fort. If your FA is involved in some programs, like Goodknight, you would travel to St Louis or Tempe for training purposes, other than that, I dont see much travel time for you.

tfrank in Atlanta, Georgia

107 months ago

Glad to hear that I probably wouldn't have to travel if I get the job. The BOA job sounds like a great job, but the prospect of having to travel definitely concerned me.
I finally got a phone call from St. Louis today. They sent me the application to fill out, and they also scheduled a phone interview. Wish me luck!

107 months ago

Just take your time. I am very very excited about the FA position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

shay318 in Dayton, Ohio

107 months ago

What is the hiring process like for a Branch Office Admin?

williewonder in Belmont, North Carolina

106 months ago

I know EJ does a Background, criminal history, and credit check. Is ther a drug test involved? And do they randomly test current employees?

106 months ago

Yes

106 months ago

Yes, a drug test is involved, among other things such as fingerprinting, HR paperwork. After that, no more drug testing that I am aware of

106 months ago

J Wicks in Kelowna, British Columbia said: I have been considering EJ as a career for some time now. I really enjoy personal finance and helping others, so I believe I would be well suited for this position.

I am a little concerned about the door to door selling (gaining trust of locals) since my husband and I are new to the area, but I also feel that I could handle it psychologically and due to the EJ training. Luckily my husband has a good job so the low initial pay isn't too frightening.

Regarding the training though, I have a question about the possible repayment if you leave EJ. IF you are "let go" (b4 the 3 years is up), do you have to repay the training, or is this only if you quit? The materials do not indicate the actual fees for the training.

If you are let go, yes. The training fees, I believe are about $10000. In the first year the invest about $100000 in you. The paperwork that they send you is very detailed and explained in simple terms. You would receive this info w/ acceptance of employment offer, contingent upon drug test, fingerprinting etc

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

106 months ago

I was given the offer today. I am very excited.

106 months ago

How much is the base when you are in the four months of training?

sofs07 in Minneapolis, Minnesota

106 months ago

Hi!
I am seriously considering applying for a FA position at Jones. I saw an ad on Careerbuilder today for a BOA position. I called the FA in which office that position is open and met with him this afternoon. Very interesting! FA seems like a better fit for me than BOA.
I am very curious about what the training salary is while you're studying for your exams. Sounds like salary is coming in for the first year?
For those of you who have gotten offers or have worked/are working at Jones, could you shed some light? I want to know what kind of financial adjustments we need to make before I jump into it.. Thanks a million!! I found all the messages on this board to be very insightful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

106 months ago

B. J. in Sterrett, Alabama said: I am an FA in training at EDJ. My concern is that the level of pressure doesn't ever seem to let up. We are told that our families come first - yet, we get quotas that cannot be met without sacrificing virtually all time with our families. I just finished my first week of training in St. Louis and am wondering if I should stay on with the firm. Charles, what is your "quality of life" at Jones?

Hey, just wondering how things are going at Jones now that you've been there (maybe? hopefully!) for 4 months. Can you shed some light on your salary during this first year? Are the bonuses hard to get? Are you working a million hours/week?
Thanks!!

106 months ago

E-Rod in Las Vegas, Nevada said: well today i had a phone interview and I was asked about the collections I had to send over a statement expaining them and the status of them, he told me it shouldnt be a problem but that he cant give me a definite answer because he doesnt know what compliance will say...this is killing me i hope it doesnt come back to haunt me..my collections total $900 and I will pay them if it affects anything...if you got an offer already then your all set.

Hi E-Rod,

I am wondering if you got the offer yet. I was due for my 25 surveys and f2f then compliance sent me a letter denying me because of my collections (roughly $2500). I asked if I would still be considered if I paid them off, which I am currently doing. Plus, there are three items I need to dispute. They said yes. Has anyone had this experience? Moogiegurl did you ever pay down your debt and were you reconsidered? My interviewing was going really well and I thought I was through because at the time the hiring dept said they were just waiting on the criminal part of my check. I really still want the job and am determined to find a way in. Thanks for any info you may have that could help.

106 months ago

well hey my recruiter sent my situation straight to compliance, I filled out a form and he sent it of it came back good and they said I can move forward.Unfotunatly my last phone interview got re-scheduled until the 26th so Im still in the interview process.If you pay them down you will still be in consideration from what I understand. And I also have a question for you.I did my office visit about 3 weeks ago then got scheduled for a phone interview which will cover the office visit, that phone interview is for the 26th of December.Do you have any idea what steps come after that?is it the face to face.?

K in Inglewood, California said: Hi E-Rod,

I am wondering if you got the offer yet. I was due for my 25 surveys and f2f then compliance sent me a letter denying me because of my collections (roughly $2500). I asked if I would still be considered if I paid them off, which I am currently doing. Plus, there are three items I need to dispute. They said yes. Has anyone had this experience? Moogiegurl did you ever pay down your debt and were you reconsidered? My interviewing was going really well and I thought I was through because at the time the hiring dept said they were just waiting on the criminal part of my check. I really still want the job and am determined to find a way in. Thanks for any info you may have that could help.

106 months ago

E-Rod in Las Vegas, Nevada said: well hey my recruiter sent my situation straight to compliance, I filled out a form and he sent it of it came back good and they said I can move forward.Unfotunatly my last phone interview got re-scheduled until the 26th so Im still in the interview process.If you pay them down you will still be in consideration from what I understand. And I also have a question for you.I did my office visit about 3 weeks ago then got scheduled for a phone interview which will cover the office visit, that phone interview is for the 26th of December.Do you have any idea what steps come after that?is it the face to face.?

You have to do the surveys and schedule your face to face. Read about the ethics and practices of EJones on their website and shoot from the hip. They asked me "Why should we spend 100K on you?" My answer was "Why the hell not?" I think it shocked them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

106 months ago

HBAGENT in La Palma, California said: You have to do the surveys and schedule your face to face. Read about the ethics and practices of EJones on their website and shoot from the hip. They asked me "Why should we spend 100K on you?" My answer was "Why the hell not?" I think it shocked them.

Good feedback!! When I called a local FA to meet with him to get more info he seemed surprise (pleasantly) that someone was contacting him directly and being proactive vs. just applying through the web. It sounds like Jones appreciates honesty and initiative?
I'm still dying to know about first year salary.. can anyone shed some light? how is it structured? Is there a set amount or is it negotiable? Thanks!!!

106 months ago

E-Rod in Las Vegas, Nevada said: well hey my recruiter sent my situation straight to compliance, I filled out a form and he sent it of it came back good and they said I can move forward.Unfotunatly my last phone interview got re-scheduled until the 26th so Im still in the interview process.If you pay them down you will still be in consideration from what I understand. And I also have a question for you.I did my office visit about 3 weeks ago then got scheduled for a phone interview which will cover the office visit, that phone interview is for the 26th of December.Do you have any idea what steps come after that?is it the face to face.?

after my office visit I had the "behavioral interview." it lasted for about 40 minutes and you have to be really prepared to give detailed answers for questions pertaining to "what did you do when you had a deadline and didn't make it?" or "describe a situation where you changed the structure/systems..?" etc. there is great potential for a rambling answer so just jot down some answers. they can't be stock answers though. they type all your answers and review them. and then call you back for the 25 surveys and f2f. Good Luck E-Rod!! I am still determined to get in. What type of "form" did they have you fill out? Was it something in addition to the consent form?

106 months ago

Ok here is what I remember about it. Its not big thats for sure. First two months while studying roughly 2200 gross. Then after that it goes to I think 2800. It its a tiered structure and it peaks I think at maybe 3200 then goes down towards the end of your first year. But the positive once you can start selling after the formal training that is added to what you make. So the it really depends on the work that is put in. In my case being in Ca. I will most likely have to liquidate some EDJ holdings that I have to make things a little more comfortable. Because it sure isnt cheap in O.C. cal.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.