How to get a job at Edward Jones.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2301 to 2350 of 2383)
Page:  « First « Previous   44  45  46  47  48  Next »   Last »

Chris Hayes in Fort Riley, Kansas

23 months ago

So having WLC (warriors leader course) and being an NCO would be beneficial for the resume in a leadership aspect, and the military is a big network by itself, but what other networking activities could I use to build on? I know a lot of prior service end up doing the Forces program, but if the PASS program would be a better fit, would they recommend that or would I have to ask for it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JD Cooper in Wisconsin

23 months ago

Chris Hayes in Fort Riley, Kansas said: So having WLC (warriors leader course) and being an NCO would be beneficial for the resume in a leadership aspect, and the military is a big network by itself, but what other networking activities could I use to build on? I know a lot of prior service end up doing the Forces program, but if the PASS program would be a better fit, would they recommend that or would I have to ask for it?

It will all help. There is not one specific "leadership" role that will make you or break you...they are looking at the whole picture.

I have no experience with the FORCE program-so I can't help you there.

El Tigre in Washington

23 months ago

Chris --

You can discuss your options with the recruiter. The FORCES program is a great option, but there are trade-offs. You basically use your VA benefits for OTJ. On the VA site, you can see what you would be paid for the 24 months OTJ, in both a salary and housing allowance. For each 6-months of OJT, you trade one year of your VA college benefits.

For some, that is a good exchange. Since I have a child to whom I'm assigning the 4-years of college, it would have been trading the GI bill for about 50 cents on the dollar. Great if you prefer the current, secure income, but not so great if you want to save the college benefit.

Another possible downside is that your commissions are capped at some level. I don't know what it is, but I know there is a cap. Depending on how successful you are in your first two years, that may or may not be a concern. I didn't make it past the "exchange 4-years college for 2 years benefits" decision, so this wasn't a concern for me.

As far as "sales" experience, I'm sure you have more than you think. Consider how many times you've been in a room or in the field and have had to "sell" others on a course of action, especially if they were skeptical. How many times did you see something that was wrong and convince someone to correct it?

In the end, it comes down to whether you can humble yourself to introduce yourself to future clients ... and then ask them to become your clients. I think that applies whether you're at EDJ or elsewhere.

As far as networking, I'd look at what you already do and enjoy. An NCO network? A service group? A fraternal organization? Lots of options. I would not recommend joining one you wouldn't join outside of working at Jones, though. If you don't enjoy being there, they'll figure you out quickly. Your first years are very busy anyway; you won't want to take an hour or two each month for a gathering you don't particularly enjoy!

El Tigre in Washington

23 months ago

Chris (and all) --

Just to clarify, the VA college benefits versus OJT benefits trade-offs are VA regulations, but are required by law. Jones has no control over those benefits and cannot negotiate any of the requirements/regulations.

You may want to check with the state VA office where you plan to work (or relocate, if that's your plan) to make sure the FORCES program is authorized there for using OJT benefits. It's not as straightforward as it sounds, and the States may require you to do some things above and beyond what Jones requires. Jones may have worked the bugs out by now, but even after I was told, "we're licensed in WA," the WA State VA folks told me other things I had to do to qualify. It wasn't hard, but you don't want to be surprised.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

philt in Charlotte, North Carolina

23 months ago

Chris and anyone interested.

I'm 54 years old. Retired military. I have worked as an educator, worked in manufacturing, and for AT&T. I just started working with Jones a week ago through the Forces program. I'm being paid what I consider a good hourly rate to study for the Series 7 & 66 exam. I have been assigned to a local office to report to everyday to do my studying. This is to comply with VA OJT requirements. I will then receive an extra 6 months of training which I believe is an acceptable trade off for the capped commissions of which El Tigre spoke. I also don't know the amounts. For me, it's all about learning the most I can for increased success down the road. As you can see, I have no background in financial advising.

As for studying for the Series 7 and 66 exams, I disagree with JD Cooper. Anything that can put you ahead of the game is a plus. I started reading Series 7 for Dummies and that has allowed me to be able to work ahead of schedule in many parts of the studying process and has that has afforded me the time to concentrate on areas that give me more trouble. Plus it has given me more confidence as I move through the material.

If you or anyone else on the forum would like regular updates on my progress through the program or just have specific questions, shoot me an email with your email address and I will create a email group and post regular updates so that you will have sort of a week to week concept of the process, my struggles and where I succeed. This will sort of paint a true picture of the process from my point of view as I work through it.

Phil

philt2@bellsouth.net

R E Workman in Sumter, South Carolina

23 months ago

Little background, I am retiring from the Air Force after 24 years in March 2014. So just 7 months to go. I have 6 years recruiting/sales experience in addition to the last 2 years I have been a supervisor of a recruiting group encompassing all of North & South Carolina. I have researched a myriad of opportunities for a 2nd career upon retirement and have decided base upon my research I would enjoy working with EJ. So, on Saturday I completed the online application. Scheduled a sit down with one of the local FA's who answered many of my questions. He then referred me to his regional recruiter. I spoke with the recruiter today for all of about 10 minutes when he told me how EJ is really looking to expand in hiring retiring military as they all tend to do really well in the company. He seemed a bit puzzled that I had not heard anything from the main office as of yet regarding my on line application. I told him I never even received a confirmation e-mail that it was received. So, he said he would be contacting St Louis today and either he or someone from the main office would get back with me. Did anyone else who applied on line have to wait several days before hearing anything? I am eager to get the ball rolling so I can focus on what comes next. 24 years of hurry up and wait apparently hasn't taught me anything I suppose! Thanks to all who reply and offer assistance.

El Tigre in Washington

23 months ago

R E --

Similar thing happened to me, and we had to reset my application/account. Worked fine after that. In my case, I had already been in contact with a home office recruiter and told them when I submitted the application. They notified me that it hadn't showed in the system, and the recruiter notified tech support. Tech support did the reset, called me, and followed-up to see if the reset worked; it did.

Good luck!

Sincerely/ El T

MWJ in High Point, North Carolina

22 months ago

DDNC in North Carolina said: Thanks El T!

I ended up receiving a dead giveaway that my offer was coming about 2 hours after I completed the assessment. That assessment was something else.

I accepted the offer the 19th and will start Jan 14th! My current/previous employer sends you home once you hand in a notice stating you have accepted an offer with a competing firm, so I am currently home on 2 weeks' notice... paid! Gives me an opportunity to catch up on "super wife" projects around the house before I start the process. I am one excited person!

The great thing is, I'm currently in the financial services industry, and none of my leadership team had any negative things to say of this opportunity while making their customary "thank you and there's always a place here for you" comments. I think they were all kind of rolling their eyes thinking, "Man I wish I was in a position to be able to take a temporary pay cut with the potential for high earnings if I work my butt off!"

Hi I just finished survey and business plan activity. Next step is another phone interview with the regional leader. I think that the phone interview is pretty similar to the first phone interview but I have no idea about the day in the life assessment. Could you elaborate all the details about the assessment? I would greatly appreciate that.

22 months ago

I've been studying since August for the 7 exam and now only 5 days away.

El Tigre in Washington

22 months ago

MWJ in High Point, North Carolina said: Hi I just finished survey and business plan activity. Next step is another phone interview with the regional leader. I think that the phone interview is pretty similar to the first phone interview but I have no idea about the day in the life assessment. Could you elaborate all the details about the assessment? I would greatly appreciate that.

MWJ --

My post a little farther up on this page gives a bit of a guide ... about as much as I'm willing to say, anyway, given that the specific details/scenario are covered by a nondisclosure agreement. That seems to be the norm in hiring, as every company I've interviewed with or did a simulation with had a similar non-disclosure agreement to sign before starting.

El T

El Tigre in Washington

22 months ago

philt in Charlotte, North Carolina said: I've been studying since August for the 7 exam and now only 5 days away.

Good luck! And listen to the advice "don't change any answers!" I changed seven on the 7 and all but one I changed from the right answer to a wrong answer! Still passed, but I was kicking myself!

El T

Jake in Sumter, South Carolina

22 months ago

Anyone have success guidance for the day in the life activity or things that you did well to make you successful?

Chris Hayes in Fort Riley, Kansas

21 months ago

So for an update, it looks like I will deploying very soon, my first sergeant changed his mind. What might I be able to do while deployed that may increase my odds of a career with EJ?

21 months ago

Chris Hayes, you can get Series 7 for dummies and focus on options and margin. That is the area where people seem to have the most trouble. If you want to spend a little money you can go with Securities Training Corp. (STC) They do a pretty good job. If you are not going to have access to the internet, you may want to see if they have cd's. If not you can just get the books. They are pretty thorough.

I have passed the Series 7 and Series 66 exams and have just returned from a week of training in St Louis at the home office. If you have specific questions, feel free to shoot me an email philt2@bellsouth.net. I'll be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Phil

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

Chris Hayes in Fort Riley, Kansas said: So for an update, it looks like I will deploying very soon, my first sergeant changed his mind. What might I be able to do while deployed that may increase my odds of a career with EJ?

Chris Hayes, you can get Series 7 for dummies and focus on options and margin. That is the area where people seem to have the most trouble. If you want to spend a little money you can go with Securities Training Corp. (STC) They do a pretty good job. If you are not going to have access to the internet, you may want to see if they have cd's. If not you can just get the books. They are pretty thorough.

I have passed the Series 7 and Series 66 exams and have just returned from a week of training in St Louis at the home office. If you have specific questions, feel free to shoot me an email philt2@bellsouth.net. I'll be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Phil

El Tigre in Washington

21 months ago

philt in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Chris Hayes, you can get Series 7 for dummies and focus on options and margin. That is the area where people seem to have the most trouble. If you want to spend a little money you can go with Securities Training Corp. (STC) They do a pretty good job. If you are not going to have access to the internet, you may want to see if they have cd's. If not you can just get the books. They are pretty thorough.

Phil

Phil, congrats on getting to KYC! Good luck as you work towards Eval/Grad!

El T

21 months ago

C in Chicago, Illinois said: There seems to be TONS of posts about Edward Jones. Let me start off to say this, this is the most important thing that people in the hiring process should ask themselves. "How comfortable are you when it comes to door knocking and if you are, how long do you think you can do it?"

Edward Jones started because there weren't any financial firms outside of the city limits. Edward Jones went to farmers, who were wealthy, and sold them financial products. It was extremely popular because the farmers didn't have any advisors and they were mainly saving the money they have accumulated. Most of the Edward Jones offices aren't located in the financial district of your city, they are located in the outskirts. WHAT WALMART IS TO THE SHOPPING WORLD, IS EXACTLY WHAT EDWARD JONES IS TO THE FINANCIAL SERVICES BUSINESS . They stress so much on owning your own business and door knocking.

There is an advisor out in Illinois, near the Mississippi River who makes 600K a year. He doesn't have his college degree, he just lives in a town where everybody trusts him and knows him. He started out by going to the local Walmart, how ironic, and pretended to shop there. When people saw him, he would say that he is starting a new business and would like people to visit his office. Instantly he became successful through referrals.

There is another kid who recently graduated from some university out in California. He went to his fraternity brothers and made them put $25 a month for their ROTH IRA's and he made so much profit he was featured in some magazine.

Where are you getting your stories.

21 months ago

El Tigre in Washington said: Phil, congrats on getting to KYC! Good luck as you work towards Eval/Grad!

El T

Thanks El T.

How long have you been the business and where in Washington are you?

Phil

Moneyman13 in Florida

21 months ago

philt in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Where are you getting your stories.

You don't OWN anything at Jonestown. You are an W2 employee. There are 0 biz owners at the Kool aid factory!

21 months ago

JD Cooper in Wisconsin said: It will all help. There is not one specific "leadership" role that will make you or break you...they are looking at the whole picture.

I have no experience with the FORCE program-so I can't help you there.

Are you in Eau Claire?

joseph simons in Colorado Springs, Colorado

20 months ago

R E Workman in Sumter, South Carolina said: Little background, I am retiring from the Air Force after 24 years in March 2014. So just 7 months to go. I have 6 years recruiting/sales experience in addition to the last 2 years I have been a supervisor of a recruiting group encompassing all of North & South Carolina. I have researched a myriad of opportunities for a 2nd career upon retirement and have decided base upon my research I would enjoy working with EJ. So, on Saturday I completed the online application. Scheduled a sit down with one of the local FA's who answered many of my questions. He then referred me to his regional recruiter. I spoke with the recruiter today for all of about 10 minutes when he told me how EJ is really looking to expand in hiring retiring military as they all tend to do really well in the company. He seemed a bit puzzled that I had not heard anything from the main office as of yet regarding my on line application. I told him I never even received a confirmation e-mail that it was received. So, he said he would be contacting St Louis today and either he or someone from the main office would get back with me. Did anyone else who applied on line have to wait several days before hearing anything? I am eager to get the ball rolling so I can focus on what comes next. 24 years of hurry up and wait apparently hasn't taught me anything I suppose! Thanks to all who reply and offer assistance.

I too am retired military (2 years) and applied with EJ. I heard something the next day via email. The email stated they would like a phone interview and I selected a time. Two days later phone interview completed and a face to face was set up, which is scheduled for Tuesday. If anything, reapply or call and see if they received your application. You should have received a confirmation email. Hope it works out for you!

joseph simons in Colorado Springs, Colorado

20 months ago

MWJ in High Point, North Carolina said: Hi I just finished survey and business plan activity. Next step is another phone interview with the regional leader. I think that the phone interview is pretty similar to the first phone interview but I have no idea about the day in the life assessment. Could you elaborate all the details about the assessment? I would greatly appreciate that.

Can you tell me what the assessment consisted of????

KatieZ in Oshkosh, Wisconsin

20 months ago

I have my phone interview tomorrow and have been reading A LOT of conflicting information on EJ. I want to know what I'm getting myself into. SO- if you are employed at EJ please provide some info. If you are an ex-EJ employee who is disgruntled and angry at EJ, please don't comment!

JD Cooper in Wisconsin said: I think this thread is dead...I thought it was entitled, "How to get a job at Edward jones."....
It seems to have turned into, "I can't seem to make my numbers, so lets complain "

If anyone wants help from someone who started from nothing and now makes a great living....let me know.

There are other great companies out there, I am neither her nor there....but if u want the truth let me know.

Lots of (failed) peeps who come here to bash. It's not all roses, but if u r motivated and willing to put in the time it is he easiest 5hrs a week for 200k out there.....

El Tigre in Washington

20 months ago

joseph simons in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: Can you tell me what the assessment consisted of????

joseph --

My comment on the previous page (page 47) is about as much as I've seen anybody say on the subject. I'd be surprised if anyone provides details, since the exact details/parameters are covered by a non-disclosure agreement. Pretty much a standard NDA in my experience.

Good luck (if you aren't done with it already)!

El T

El Tigre in Washington

20 months ago

Katie --

I'd read the posts between JD Cooper and Chris Hayes on page 47.

I's also scan through the comments of the ex-employees for common themes. This is a phenomenal firm, but it's not for everyone. It is TOUGH work. I do not know any of the people who post on this site, whether EDJ employees or not, but none came to Jones with the intention of failing and most likely none came with the intention of moving somewhere else in a year or two.

I recommend you talk to some FAs in your area -- preferably those with 2-3 years' experience. They know how hard the first years are (they're still in them), but they're starting to see their hard work is paying off.

Knocking on doors is hard work. It's time consuming. But it works. Taking care of clients is hard work. It can be time consuming. Turning a prospect into a client is hard work. It's time consuming. And, it's the lifeblood of your (our) business.

Learn as much as you can about the Jones model ... it's not a secret, it's well published, and for our clients, it works. If you're not comfortable with that model (or even if you are), then check out some other firms who use a different model. It's better to know before you start than six months in.

In my area, almost no one "quits" Jones. Some leave after having long periods of low performance. I assure you, the firm is much more tolerant in that way than any place else I've ever worked. Everyone will go out of their way to help a new FA or a struggling FA. Other people leave because they get an offer from another firm in the industry. It is telling to me that I see FAs from other firms (MS, ML, Schwab) come to Jones, but never see them leave!

Our retention of new FAs is high for the industry, but that doesn't mean it's easy.

My recommendations: read this thread, talk to some FAs, and compare our model to what others are doing. You'll know whether EDJ is right for you, or perhaps whether another firm is.

Good luck!
El T

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

JD Cooper in Wisconsin

20 months ago

Very well said. Read the posts with a critical eye. The ones that are nothing but negative you should probably ignore....if there are some that are 100% positive, you should probably ignore those as well.

As I climb the ladder at Jones I have had a few people ask where I live or what region....for now that is off the record. What I can tell you is that I started with Jones in early 2008, after about 1yr, I was the only person left in my class.

What motivated me was my fear of failure. I sound like a 2 year old when I say this, but it is true, "If I can't win, I don't want to play!" Or better said, "If I make the decision to do something, I don't quit."

Key Factors
It is sales....but in yearr 5 or so it does not feel like sales. Clients come to you asking what you recommend for this or that.

You will be door knocking Period

Work hard, get your contacts, don't quit, do what they tell you (it might sound stupid at the time, but it works)

Again, I always end my posts....I know there are other great firms out there. There are pros and cons to all of them. Edward Jones is the Perfect form for ME.....(your results may vary)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

20 months ago

JD

can you shoot me an email. I'm in field foundations and would love to chat with you.

Thanks

philt2@bellsouth.net

20 months ago

KatieZ in Oshkosh, Wisconsin said: I have my phone interview tomorrow and have been reading A LOT of conflicting information on EJ. I want to know what I'm getting myself into. SO- if you are employed at EJ please provide some info. If you are an ex-EJ employee who is disgruntled and angry at EJ, please don't comment!

Katie,

I was hired in August and I have had nothing but an exceptional experience from the training to the people and the culture. I'm in the Forces Program so I'm still in the training phase and will get my can sell in March. Don't let the disgruntled on this site deter you. I almost did but, I'm so glad I didn't.

Phil

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JD Cooper in Wisconsin

20 months ago

philt in Charlotte, North Carolina said: JD

can you shoot me an email. I'm in field foundations and would love to chat with you.

Thanks

philt2@bellsouth.net

Phil,

Sorry for not responding, I check this thread very rarely. I will shoot you an email next week.

FAMotivation in Chicago, Illinois

18 months ago

Dear Financial Advisors:

I am a doctoral student in the business department at a Chicago University. I am cordially inviting you to volunteer your participation in my dissertation research focused on examining the influences of motivational variables on Financial Advisor who are employed in the Financial Services Industry. This study is hoping to garner feedback from FA who have three (3) or more years of experience in the financial services industry. This research study is for a dissertation and is in partial fulfillment for completion of my doctoral program.

Please share your experiences in the approximately 5-7 minute online survey hosted by SurveyMonkey. You can begin the survey by clicking the unique and secure link created just for you below. Rest assure that all of your answers will be used only for scholarly purposes and will be kept completely confidential.

If you agree to participate and take part in this study, please click on the link below and you will automatically be directed to the survey located online at SurveyMonkey.

Thank you again for your generous participation.

www.surveymonkey.com/s/financialadvisor2014

Kind regards,

FAMotivation

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Pineville, Louisiana

18 months ago

Just my two cents...
I was hired by EDJ in 2002, went through the licensing process and received my "can-sell" in early 2003. I started as a "new/new" which means I started a new office with no assets. I followed the recipe, did what they told me to do and tried to stay positive. It was by far, the hardest thing that I have ever done. I eventually turned the corner and became profitable. I was never a superstar but did well considering my tenure. I am a very independent person and can think for myself and I never felt like the company was trying to brainwash me or force me to sell certain products. What they do is take individuals from all walks of life and allow them to have their own offices in the securities industry. The company's watchful eye is a necessary by-product of their business model. I will also add that the folks who normally complain the most about the system are the same ones who felt like they could do it better. They wanted to reinvent the wheel and found out too late that they could not. There have been over 12,000 advisors come before you who have refined the process down to a few simple components. Is it easy, no. Does it work, yes, very well if you do your part. I can personally attest to the fact that EVERY advisor that started with me and is still with the firm is doing quite well. The lowest producers in that bunch are probably earning around 150k and the top performers much, much more. For someone wanting to start a career in the securities industry, there is no better place, in my opinion than EDJ.
For the record, I resigned from the firm in 2008 to go to work for a bank and came to regret that decision. Is Jones for everyone, no. But for someone who wants to operate out of their own storefront, have substantial freedom in how they run their business and have the work ethic to see it through to the end, I can highly recommend the firm. Best of luck to everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tonya in Arlington, Texas

16 months ago

I need advise! I went though the interview process, I felt like the assessment didn't go as well as I had planned. I was correct, I found out to day they have not decided to extend an offer for employment! I know that I have what it takes to be a Financial Adviser, I'm not afraid of hard work or long hours. What other options do I have? Are there other companies that pay while in training?
All comments welcome!

JD Cooper in Wisconsin

16 months ago

Tonya in Arlington, Texas said: I need advise! I went though the interview process, I felt like the assessment didn't go as well as I had planned. I was correct, I found out to day they have not decided to extend an offer for employment! I know that I have what it takes to be a Financial Adviser, I'm not afraid of hard work or long hours. What other options do I have? Are there other companies that pay while in training?
All comments welcome!

If u are ok with it post yur email and I will send you a PM. (I cant figure out how to send a PM through the site)

JD Cooper in Wisconsin

16 months ago

Scott in Pineville, Louisiana said: Just my two cents...
I was hired by EDJ in 2002, went through the licensing process and received my "can-sell" in early 2003. I started as a "new/new" which means I started a new office with no assets. I followed the recipe, did what they told me to do and tried to stay positive. It was by far, the hardest thing that I have ever done. I eventually turned the corner and became profitable. I was never a superstar but did well considering my tenure. I am a very independent person and can think for myself and I never felt like the company was trying to brainwash me or force me to sell certain products. What they do is take individuals from all walks of life and allow them to have their own offices in the securities industry. The company's watchful eye is a necessary by-product of their business model. I will also add that the folks who normally complain the most about the system are the same ones who felt like they could do it better

Scott,

If you left Jones on good terms...and didnt burn bridges, if you were to reapply, u have a better chance to get rehired than u think. In general Jones is a big company thats does things by the book, BUT they defintly take special situations into consideration and actually evaluate situations case by case.

I have an extreme example where Jones stepped up to the plate and paid out a huge some of money for a life insurance policy on a BOA who was out on sick leave for so long she should have been let go. Jones agreed to continue her policy while she was at home with hospice....who does that....?

It is situations like this that reassures how great of a company I work for. They are a huge company, but they operate like a small family business.

(Again, I am sure there are other great firms out there, but Jones is a perfect fit for me)

Tonya in Dallas, Texas

16 months ago

JD Cooper in Wisconsin said: If u are ok with it post yur email and I will send you a PM. (I cant figure out how to send a PM through the site)

jh3217@gmail.xom

Brandon in Keller, Texas

16 months ago

I'm so glad JD Cooper reeled this thread back in. It was turning into a beat down so thank's JD. I had the privilege of working with EDJ starting in 2007. I started as a goodnight and eventually took over a small office. I was very profitable, but unfortunately like you Scott, I took an offer with a bank who offered more money. That never came to fruition. They basically made a bunch of false promises. I was making over 150k when I left jones and it was the worst decision I ever made to leave. Here we are in 2014 and I just re-applied. Before I could be officially invited to the application process I had to write a letter stating why I left EDJ in the first place, and then they went back and talked to my old regional leader and some of the advisors in the area. After that they deliberated and determined if I was re-hireable. Like JD said, if you left on good terms and you were successful they would be wiling to reconsider. I just got word last week that I'm re-hireable and I have my phone screening tomorrow at noon. I'm so thankful to have this opportunity again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

JD Cooper in Wisconsin

16 months ago

Brandon in Keller, Texas said: I'm so glad JD Cooper reeled this thread back in. It was turning into a beat down so thank's JD. I had the privilege of working with EDJ starting in 2007. I started as a goodnight and eventually took over a small office. I was very profitable, but unfortunately like you Scott, I took an offer with a bank who offered more money. That never came to fruition. They basically made a bunch of false promises. I was making over 150k when I left jones and it was the worst decision I ever made to leave. Here we are in 2014 and I just re-applied. Before I could be officially invited to the application process I had to write a letter stating why I left EDJ in the first place, and then they went back and talked to my old regional leader and some of the advisors in the area. After that they deliberated and determined if I was re-hireable. Like JD said, if you left on good terms and you were successful they would be wiling to reconsider. I just got word last week that I'm re-hireable and I have my phone screening tomorrow at noon. I'm so thankful to have this opportunity again.

CONGRATS! Good luck!

Brandon in Keller, Texas

16 months ago

Thanks JD. I'm a little nervous because I'm going to take a pretty big pay cut initially. I'm back to making 6 figures now and I realize that for the first couple of years it's going to be difficult and I won't be making anywhere close to that. I have a wife and two young children to provide for so I'm hoping this is the right thing to do. I plan on using this fear as motivation to drive a high level of activity and achieve my goals.

Brandon in Keller, Texas

16 months ago

I had my phone screen today, and it went really well. The woman I spoke to was very friendly and thoroughly answered all of my questions. It was a mixture of interview type questions along with explaining my background and making sure I fully understand the position. Since I've already worked for the firm I have clear expectations and ready to move on. Next step is a face to face.

BigBlueNation in Lexington, Kentucky

16 months ago

Tonya in Arlington, Texas said: I need advise! I went though the interview process, I felt like the assessment didn't go as well as I had planned. I was correct, I found out to day they have not decided to extend an offer for employment! I know that I have what it takes to be a Financial Adviser, I'm not afraid of hard work or long hours. What other options do I have? Are there other companies that pay while in training?
All comments welcome!

Tonya, how exactly did your Day in the Life Assessment go? I too, just completed my assessment but have yet to hear back from them...

Brandon in Keller, Texas

16 months ago

All comments welcome!

Hi Tonya, Sorry to hear about the disappointing news. I have two different suggestions for you. The first one is if you really want to join Edward Jones start building a solid network of contacts with advisors in your area that are currently with EDJ. Try and get in good with the limited partners as theses individuals have the ability to alter the firms decision not to hire you. The first time I was hired by Jones they originally declined my application. I happened to know a limited partner really well and after talking with him he was able to convince the firm to hire me and he did a goodknight program with me.

The second is to explore other firms with a salary. I hear Merrill Lynch as done some really nice things with their PMD program and they pay a generous salary for the first couple years. Of course Merrill is a completely different animal than Jones so really think about whether or not you're a "warehouse" type of advisor because if not, stay away. Also, Ameriprise is a great firm too. Network to find some advisors in the area and see if they'd be willing to bring you on as an AFA (associate financial advisor) or a paraplanner and then work your way up to an advisor.

These are just a few suggestions but don't give up. As I mentioned before the worst decision I ever made was leaving Edward Jones and I've been trying to get back for five years. I'm confident with the way it's going so far and hopeful this time they'll invite me back. I wish you the best.

Brandon in Keller, Texas

16 months ago

Sorry "warehouse" in the above post should be "wirehouse".

BWilly in Colorado

16 months ago

So I am looking into EJ as a career choice as well. I am getting ready to get out of the military (age=29), and I have been a self-directed analyst for years. I am debating between a finance MBA or an EJ position. I haven't decided which route to take.

I have read all the negative views on Jones, but in all honesty, every company has it drawbacks; and not every company is a fit for every individual. However, I would like to talk to Brandon, JD and El Tigre a little more in depth about there respective views.

philt in Huntersville, North Carolina

16 months ago

Scott in Louisiana said it best in his description of what it is like to start working for EJ. The beginning is the hardest thing you will probably ever do in your life, but if you stay the course and don't try to reinvent the wheel, and never give up, it will be the most rewarding career of your life. It says something when people leave EJ for a bank only to wish they had not made that mistake. You have to be disciplined and a self starter because of the freedom you have with the business. You will be your own boss. No one will be standing over you telling to go out and prospect, but if your don't you won't survive in the business. There have been people who were lucky and took over offices with significant assets and failed because they thought they could sit in the office and the business would come to them. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. You have to go out and find the business. EJ is not going to send it to you. The best thing is you ARE in business for yourself, BUT NOT by yourself. Every where you turn there are people ready to help you succeed, whether it is from the home office or in your region. All one has to do is ask.

OOOPs, got carried away. Bottom line, if you can take rejection time and time again, are the kind of person that does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, you don't wait to be told to do what you know you need to do, are driven, dedicated enough to see things through, past the tough times, are self disciplined, are coach-able, can take corrective criticism, are in it to help others more than for the income, THEN you can succeed with EJ. IF NOT DON'T BOTHER APPLYING.

Brandon in Keller, Texas

16 months ago

Well said philt. Hello BWilly- Sounds like you have a tough decision to make as your choices lead you in two opposite directions. I've been in the financial services industry for over 8 years now and an MBA is definitely a coveted degree to have. With that being said EDJ loves to recruit hard working veterans like yourself and being that you seem like a student of the industry you would be someone they'd consider. Sorry, only you can make that decision on which route to take. Personally, I'd go with EDJ but my family structure is different and by the time I actually finished my MBA I would've built a successful practice as an advisor where I wouldn't need the degree (not to mention the hefty student loans it would take to get it). I guess the real question is how do you see your career progressing? What type of job would you like to have? Either choice will lead you to a successful destination.
You're right, there is good and bad to every job, it's just a matter of what you choose to focus on. At the end of the day it boils down to the values that a company has and how they treat their employees. There's something to be said about a company consistently ranking in the top 10 places to work in the country, that still remains a privately held company. They choose to invest their money into you the employee and they always put the client first. They do get a bad wrap because the work is EXTREMELY difficult, but very rewarding.

Brandon in Keller, Texas

16 months ago

philt in Huntersville, North Carolina said: Scott in Louisiana said it best in his description of what it is like to start working for EJ. The beginning is the hardest thing you will probably ever do in your life, but if you stay the course and don't try to reinvent the wheel, and never give up, it will be the most rewarding career of your life. It says something when people leave EJ for a bank only to wish they had not made that mistake. You have to be disciplined and a self starter because of the freedom you have with the business. You will be your own boss. No one will be standing over you telling to go out and prospect, but if your don't you won't survive in the business. There have been people who were lucky and took over offices with significant assets and failed because they thought they could sit in the office and the business would come to them. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. You have to go out and find the business. EJ is not going to send it to you. The best thing is you ARE in business for yourself, BUT NOT by yourself. Every where you turn there are people ready to help you succeed, whether it is from the home office or in your region. All one has to do is ask.

OOOPs, got carried away. Bottom line, if you can take rejection time and time again, are the kind of person that does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, you don't wait to be told to do what you know you need to do, are driven, dedicated enough to see things through, past the tough times, are self disciplined, are coach-able, can take corrective criticism, are in it to help others more than for the income, THEN you can succeed with EJ. IF NOT DON'T BOTHER APPLYING.

It's reviews like these that get me all fired up and excited to be in the process of getting hired by EDJ.

Qt in Madisonville, Texas

15 months ago

Gonna do the virtual Day in the Life assessment next. Any advise? Expectations? Thanks in advance!

JD Cooper in Wisconsin

15 months ago

^^^^Nick
I was hired before they starting that, however I know a few people who have gone through it. The goal, from what I hear, is to see how you prioritize and handle stress (among others things I am sure). Don't feel like you have to do everything, take care of the most important issues that are presented and don't get stressed out.

This job is stressful, ESPECIALLY in the beginning, so Jones might as well filter people out if they "lose it" during a role-playing scenerio. From what I hear, I don't believe the point in the process is trying to get applicants to "break" but it is an indicator of how you handle stress, angry clients, no BOA, etc...

(I am not saying that applicants who were denied employment after this phase of the process "lost it," panicked or can't handle stress. It is just another tool Jones uses to screen it's applicants. The expenses to hire, license, train, build an office, etc....for a new FA is extremely high. Jones learned that in 08-09' when they made huge amounts of hiring, however the failure rate was extremely high as well. They have seemed to switch to a "weed as many out ahead of time" approach rather than a "mass hiring" approach.

I, for one, although wasn't hired under this model, believe it is a lot better. As previously posted after 2 yrs I was the only one left in my class (after 1 year we were down to about 1/4 of the class). There is not much worse for a "brand" to have empty offices or offices were there is a new FA every year.

Once hired Jones does everything in their power to help you succeed. Again, I am sure there are some bitter people out there, but using common sense, why would Jones hire, train, build an office, pay for a BOA and hope the FA doesn't make it...??? It just isn't logical and IMO those believe who believe that are jaded because they didn't make it.

JD Cooper in Wisconsin

15 months ago

Opps...that was for "qt" not "nick."

Good luck!!^^^

15 months ago

Qt in Madisonville, Texas said: Gonna do the virtual Day in the Life assessment next. Any advise? Expectations? Thanks in advance!

The day in the life is very challenging and you won't find Amy information

Page:  « First « Previous   44  45  46  47  48  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.