What's the company culture at Epic Systems?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (37)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Epic Systems?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Epic Systems?

Reply - Report abuse

chunkyguy in Madison, Wisconsin

105 months ago

Friends don't let friends work for Epic. What's a typical day like? Well, if you not one of the 50 or so in the elite inner circle, your workday starts at 7 a.m. and ends about 11 p.m. That lasts until you die or quit. So, office attire is very casual and in need of laundering because you don't have time or you've forgotten where the washing machine is. There's no internal communication, so mushroom management rules. And Judy Faulkner, founder and president, is a control freak, albeit a sheltered one, who isn't above rewrite "the truth" to suit her own needs. Consider that as of two years ago, more than 75 former employees had successfully sued the company, reaching "no-fault" out of court settlements.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (184) / No (102) Reply - Report abuse

joshchester in Madison, Wisconsin

103 months ago

Chunky Guy is the same guy who cries and whines on every blog about Epic and says the same UNTRUE garbage. The only person here until 11pm is Judy. Most people on my team work about 40-45 hours a week, maybe a little more right before a release deadline. Arrive at 9ish, leave at 530-630 is the norm. No one is holding a gun to your head to stay and work longer. If you worked as many hours as you claim Chunky Guy, which I'm sure you didn't, it was your own fault.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (70) / No (38) Reply - Report abuse

babaniyen in evanston, Illinois

102 months ago

hey josh and LT, or anyone, (PS, chunky guy, pls do not comment, lol)

kindly tell me more about the guys needing to travel alot. are the travels by air or road and please tell me more about the city and economics/social life outside the workplace. also, kindly tell me whats expected at the on-site interview. please help! i think i like the company and i hope it works out for me. thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

coralk in Madison, Wisconsin

101 months ago

Hey,
I have an interview at Epic this week, and in my email from them I was told to "dress casual." What does this mean? How should I dress?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

98 months ago

Finney in Madison, Wisconsin said: Epic is completely screwey. They make it seem like their casual dress code is something to be proud of, when really it's like that in a lot of places. I work for a similar company in Madison, and the people who don't meet the public on a regular basis there dress casually as well. Same with other places I have either worked or interviewed.

Epic also will NOT hire you if you have any previous work experience or maturity. I waited to go to college and graduated at 26. Myself and a 24 year old and 30 year old friends all applied at Epic and ALL got rejected. All of us graduated in the top 5% of our classes and were well qualified. I then heard directly from someone that works there that the top age they "prefer" new hires to be for QA and writer positions (which is what we applied for) is 23!!! The problem with us was that we had goals and experience, and would know right off that Epic is NOT the way things are in the real world.

There are so many better places to work, and strangely enough I got FOUR offers from other companies, including one of Epic's competitors...so I guess there was nothing wrong with any of my skills.

LOL, just because you don't have the skills they are looking for you scream discrimination? Did it ever occur to you that they hired someone better qualified for the position? There aren't too many writers at Epic, I can imagine they don't hire for that one as often as some other larger positions. Judging by your poor attitude you wouldn't fit in at Epic anyway, I wouldn't want you on my team because you sound like a pompous ass. Now I'm not sure if pompous ass is a protected class, but it sounds like Epic made the right choice not to hire you. I just got a new person on my team today, and he has two kids...so unless you know for a fact that every single person they hire is 23, which I can tell you isn't true, than I would shut up if I were you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No (117) Reply - Report abuse

finney in Madison, Wisconsin

98 months ago

My poor attitude? I didn't berate anyone personally as you have done. I'm just pointing out that Epic isn't the only place with a "casual" dress code, and obviously there is nothing outright obviously wrong with my attitude or my qualifications since I got 4 other offers.

It is commonly known that Epic doesn't hire you if you're "too old", judging by Judy Faulkner's comments that "it takes 3 years to turn someone into an Epic Person and it doesn't work on older workers"...or one ones with experience or maturity.

Your holier than though attitude fits in quite well there, I'm sure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (88) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

98 months ago

Finney in Madison, Wisconsin said: My poor attitude? I didn't berate anyone personally as you have done. I'm just pointing out that Epic isn't the only place with a "casual" dress code, and obviously there is nothing outright obviously wrong with my attitude or my qualifications since I got 4 other offers.

It is commonly known that Epic doesn't hire you if you're "too old", judging by Judy Faulkner's comments that "it takes 3 years to turn someone into an Epic Person and it doesn't work on older workers"...or one ones with experience or maturity.

Your holier than though attitude fits in quite well there, I'm sure.

You think 24 or 26 is too old? That is where you flaw in logic comes in. Yes, there are a lot of young people at Epic, yes many of the people they hire are right out of school, and that is what has been working for them. Saying they hire younger people and saying you didn't get hired based soley on your age are two different things. I have friends who have applied and not gotten jobs here and Epic doesn't tell you why, so rather than blame them for discriminating just accept the fact they hired someone else, you got other offers, so why so angry at Epic?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (69) Reply - Report abuse

finney in Madison, Wisconsin

98 months ago

3. Which brings me to: Where else does it take TWO MONTHS or even more to even get an interview or a decision regarding an entry-level job? Being a new grad, obviously things I applied for were entry level or close. Everywhere I applied I had a phone screen, then an in-person interview, and then a hiring decision one way or the other. Epic wants the most hard-up grads that will do anything to make money.

4. They're elitist. Like I said casual dress code is a lot of places. I don't need edamame in my salad at lunch. The campus is an expensive eyesore.

5. The "culture" is creepy. Monetary incentives for doing sports and other things only with people from work? Being "turned into" an Epic Person? Being told that taking comp time YOU EARNED is stealing from the company? It's not a culture, it's a cult.

Not hiring me doesn't make a company bad. All the above stuff does.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (76) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

coralk in Madison, Wisconsin

98 months ago

I would like to state that I'm 25, nearly 26, and I was recently hired for a QA position. I think that Epic has a pretty good idea not just of the skills they want, but what sort of person would fit in well in the positions/teams they are specifically hiring for. Also, consider the possibility that some of the exams they gave at interview might have more to do with how you deal with completely foreign material, with your ability to think on your feet and adjust. Which, given everything that I have had to learn since getting hired, seems pretty valuable. Graduating from college with a good GPA does not mean everything.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that Epic is a private company, they have the right to hire who they want with whatever process they want. I say more power to them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

FormerEpicEmployee in Madison, Wisconsin

95 months ago

The Bad Continued...

2. Management (Part 2): Epic doesn't have "managers." They have team leads and group leads. A team lead usually directs a team of 5 to 7 employees. A group lead directs a subset of team leads. There are 24 year olds in the team lead role and I know of a 28 yo as a group lead. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, except the only quality needed to become a team lead is a strong work ethic. That's it. I sat in on meetings to determine who should get promoted as a team lead and it only comes down to work ethic. As a result, there is an overwhelming lack of leadership throughout the middle ranks of the company...and here's the kicker: work ethic is basically determined by hours logged. I became rather efficient at my job 3 years in and my output in 50 hours of work was often the same as someone putting in 70+ hours. People skills, communication, etc was rarely a factor. I was fortunate to have 2 competent team leads when I started but I was the exception to the rule. They "train" the newly promoted team leads but that training is a joke. If an employee needs or asks for direction, there's a good chance the advice or attention will be medicore at best. It's kind of a free-for-all so unless you have the ability to manage yourself, you might have problems working at Epic. Team and Group leads have very little pull in the company and they promote them as such.

3. Judy. She's not crazy like some may say. She's just strange. If you've dealt with her in the past, you'll understand what I'm saying. She's great for the company as the customers have great faith in her leadership. The company is her baby and she probably averages 90 hours/week. However, I think lack of a life has really skewed her vision. If you work closely with you, God Bless You. She's beyond demanding. She's mostly pleasant but if she's putting in 90 hours, she expects those working directly with her to do the same. She's the ultimate micro-manager.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (119) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

The Bad Continued...

4. The Big Benefits. The 401k was poor until recently. Now it's average. The bonuses are pretty weak (probably since the company pours most income into the new campus). The health plan is good for singles. If you have dependents, it's below average. There's no pension (which isn't a shock since most companies are moving away from pensions). The vacation is very weak. After 7 years, I was still at 3 weeks of vacation (first 2 years was 2 weeks) and you can only bank 8 days. Holidays are weak as well. 6 holiday days total per year when most companies I know are at 7 or 8. There are no personal or "my" days and sick days are 6 per year, which is alright but the company gives employees no incentive to save sick days. You need to go 10 years without taking a single sick day to realize a benefit upon retirement (haha).

5. Hiring practices. If you're 30 yo+ or worked for another company for more than a couple of years, I wouldn't bother applying. The odds are stacked against you for those 2 reasons. Now and then I'd see a new hire not directly out of college but it was rare. Basically what I'm saying is if you fit this criteria, I'd color your hair to hide any gray and I wouldn't emphasize past work experience. Then you might have a fighter's chance. Epic just wants young, impressionable folks roaming the halls of the campus. That allows for controlled costs in labor and it hides the drawbacks with the company because the newbies don't know any better. You would see some gray-haired folks at Epic but they're almost always employees that have been there for 10+ years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (120) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

Forgot to add a positive: The sabbatical. It's pretty sweet. 4 weeks of paid time off every 5 years of employment and the company will help with travel costs to a foreign country you've never visited during that time. There is a minimum number of days you must spend abroad but it's still worth it.

Now the Bad continued (BTW, I'm detailing the "bad" more than the "good" because I feel like it needs more of an explanation. I'm not going to spout off negatives without paiting someone what of a complete picture).

6. The Hours: It's a crapshoot. Some get assigned to projects or customers that are more demanding than others. If you're unfortunate enough, 60 hours per week is easily attainable. Let me be clear: certain roles in the company are less demanding, to the point where 45 hours is not uncommon. QA and tech writers fit that description. They closely resemble a traditional 40 to 45 work week. Implementation, developers, and tech services/EDI are a completely different story (those 5 roles are the most common in the company). One of my good friends still with Epic easily works 65 hours per week and he's been doing so for the past 4 years. I averaged roughly 50. Some weeks more. Some weeks less. What I'm saying is if you're applying for one of these 3 roles, it's a roll of the dice for the number of hours you need to put in to be competent at your job. Low end is 45. High end is 70. Most in these roles average around 50 to 55. If you try to fit a 60 per week job into 50 hours, meaning you're falling behind and not finishing things on time, you won't last long. Just warning everyone. It can be a revolving door for those with less than 2 years at Epic. Either there's a burnout aspect to the job or you get nudged out the door. If you survive 2 years, then either you were lucky like me or you can withstand 60+ hours consistently.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (97) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

The Bad continued...

7. Leaving Epic. If you want to stay in the industry(HC IT), they make it tough on you. My non-compete agreement pertaining to working for customers in my contract expired a couple of years ago but that doesn't matter. Epic has non-compete agreements with the actual customers stipulating that the customer will not pursue a current Epic employee for employment (makes sense) OR an ex-employee for a period of time after their employment ended with Epic. For recent hires of Epic, the non-compete is much more strict. I think it's 1 year in your contract. As for the timeframe in the contracts with customers, it's 6 months for older customers (been a customer for more than a couple of years) and 1 year with new customers. If you want to go the consulting route, you'll find the same problem. Can Epic really prevent this type of employment? Yes. Not in a legal sense as they're basically worthless stipulations but they can "blackball" you. It happens. If you bypass either end of the non-compete (either in your contract or Epic's contract with the customer), they will flag you as blackballed, meaning Epic will not certify you (important), nor will they take your calls or respond to emails, 2 very critical things if you work with the EMR for a customer. If you're viewing Epic as a stepping stone job into the HC IT world, forget about it. It doesn't matter the reason for your departure from Epic as the rules stand firm regardless of the situation. What you'll find out that the experience you gain from working at Epic only translates well in HC IT. Switching industries basically means you're starting over. This is true for 3 of the big 5 positions (implementation, developers, tech services/EDI). This is an anomoly for companies, preventing employees from working for a customer. Epic knows they can burnout employees and life can be much more enjoyable working for a customer. BTW: Epic keeps the non-compete in customer contracts quiet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (118) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

After reviewing my posts, I forgot to expand on the private offices. It's not so private for new hires. You'll be doubled up with another employee for at least 3 years or until Epic can build more building at the campus to house everyone. When I left, 30% of the company was still working in traditional office building throughout Madison and not in Verona. If you're assigned to a team in that 30%, you'll more than likely be in a cube or still doubled up with someone else. If you reach the team lead role or work for the company long enough, you'll then get your own private office. That was my experience at least. 5 new buildings are set to open in '09 but the company can't keep up with the growth in number of employees so I expect at least 40% of the company to double up for the next 3 to 5 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (86) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

michaelbraun in Wisconsin

90 months ago

I worked at Epic for two years before leaving to go to graduate school.

I've written a series of blog posts on how the company is like a cult. While I ultimately conclude that the company is NOT a cult, they do exhibit a lot of cultish tendencies.

blog.thebriz.org/2008/08/what-is-a-cult-part-1/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (59) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mishah25 in Madison, Wisconsin

71 months ago

Who does the hiring? Is there a certain name I should address my cover letter to?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Openandhonest in Madison, Wisconsin

68 months ago

I'm going to be as open as possible about this--do not apply to Epic. Hell, don't even think about applying. From what I gather, developers are the only ones who have tolerable jobs.

First off, the company doesn't give a crap about their employees. There's a reason that the average Implementation person is only there for a year and a half...they work them to death. They woo you with the campus, great food and casual dress policy, but you'd be nuts to believe any of it. I remember one week I was yelled at by my TL for "getting more done than anyone on the team but not working enough." Now, I apologize if efficiency is something to be frowned upon, but that's definitely not the world I live in.

I left after working there less than a year for grad school, which I was planning on doing before I started, so I never got in over my head. I mean, the cool thing is that everyone you'll meet is your age, smart and fairly outgoing, but it gets tedious when every conversation you have outside of work is about work. I have friends making $65k/year and working 80 hour weeks. That's absolute madness--these aren't doctors or attorneys making six-figure salaries, they're employees not making enough to justify those kind of hours.

Every month, there's a staff meeting with popcorn and "soda." They actually charge for soda at the cafeteria while all juice is free, saying it's part of keeping everyone healthy. Of course, you won't find a single item for lunch that has less than 600 calories...they really load up on them. The first month after I quit Epic, I lost 10 pounds because I was able to exercise daily and make my own meals. They also don't have a gym or daycare for parents on campus--Judy, essentially the tyrant who runs the company, claims that it's because she doesn't want to have "golden eggs." She's convinced it's going to take away from productivity, which is absurd.

(continued below)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (53) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Openandhonest in Madison, Wisconsin

68 months ago

Now, the monthly meetings are Epic's opportunity to glorify themselves. They basically talk about their sales, how great of a company they are, and how their ratings are so much better than everyone else. What they don't tell you, is that their software is actually not very good--it's just the best of the worst. I mean, there were so, so many issues with it. People may think this post is coming off as bitter, but I would still encourage people to just say NO to Epic. The company is a sweatshop and is awful to work for. My advice? Apply elsewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (65) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

jeff@*****.*** in Portland, Oregon

59 months ago

I had several interviews and tests with EPIC. I would not have bothered to apply had I read through this blog. The interviews were pleasant and I did well on them, however, it's disturbing that there are (presumed) young people on this blog basically stating that it's okay for EPIC to discriminate against older workers. It's not. In fact, it's a Federal crime to even ask a question that would elicit a response that reveals the applicants age. A FEDERAL CRIME. In my second interview with EPIC I was asked half a dozen questions that were designed to pinpoint my age. It was blatant. I took an additional test and then got a message from them that said they were going with applicants whose skills better matched the position. I have no problem with that as long as "being younger" wasn't one of the skills used to make the decision.
Regardless of whether EPIC is a private company, they still have to follow Federal law. In fact, they owe much of their sales to legislation like the Federal HITECH law which helps hospitals mitigate the cost of implementing their software. It's nice how EPIC can benefit from one set of Federal laws while obviously violating another set of laws. Neat.

Listen young kids at EPIC from someone who's been around the block more than you. Any company that wants young people to work for them over experienced older people does so for only a few reasons. 1) They want to pay nothing. 2) Kids are easier to treat like garbage and will be impressed with fancy offices and low pay 3) Kids can't tell a crummy manager from a good one.

That's it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (111) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

ouch.. in Saint Paul, Minnesota

53 months ago

ya make me worried, but that's a good thing :)
so my question here is..

even if I don't work for the company itself, is it still possible to get EPIC certified and work elsewhere?
Good choice or not?

Any other higher paying jobs, then EPIC?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

sailingaway in Minneapolis, Minnesota

52 months ago

@ouch..
You do not have to be an Epic employee to get Epic Certified.

Good choice if you work with Epic. Bad choice if you do not work with the EMR.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

RS in Hillside, New Jersey

51 months ago

Openandhonest in Madison, Wisconsin said: Now, the monthly meetings are Epic's opportunity to glorify themselves. They basically talk about their sales, how great of a company they are, and how their ratings are so much better than everyone else. What they don't tell you, is that their software is actually not very good--it's just the best of the worst. I mean, there were so, so many issues with it. People may think this post is coming off as bitter, but I would still encourage people to just say NO to Epic. The company is a sweatshop and is awful to work for. My advice? Apply elsewhere.

I agree not to mention they discrimate and someday they will be caught

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NavyMom in Lafayette, Indiana

49 months ago

What are the 6 (7.5 including half days) Holiday's that Epic honors? Need to know for future planning if possible. Much appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

EpicRecruiter in Madison, Wisconsin

49 months ago

Here are the 6 paid holidays:
January 1 (New Year’s Day)
The last Monday in May (Memorial Day)
July 4 (Independence Day)
The first Monday in September (Labor Day)
The fourth Thursday in November (Thanksgiving Day)
December 25 (Christmas Day)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

NavyMom in Lafayette, Indiana

49 months ago

Thanks for your help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RauKogan in Pheonix, Arizona

49 months ago

Do not join this company. They make your life hell after you leave the company and try to join any of their clients. They have an agreement with their clients not to hire any ex-Epic employees and enforce the non-compete agreement as if you are stealing their business. Just stay away if you can and utilize your talents somewhere else. But if this is the only job you get, then it is up to you. A lot of my friends are suffering and an even more number are scared to leave the company and find related work in another location as Epic will get back to the clients and will try to portray your profile in a very negative way. And remember, if you are international worker on a work visa, it will be that much harder for you to find another job in IT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

smittyroo in Atlanta, Georgia

45 months ago

I would like to expand on this further. I'm hearing that Epic has a non-compete against contractors hiring FTE hopsital employees. Are you familiar with this non-compete?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

RyanDF

42 months ago

CoralK in Madison, Wisconsin said: I would like to state that I'm 25, nearly 26, and I was recently hired for a QA position. I think that Epic has a pretty good idea not just of the skills they want, but what sort of person would fit in well in the positions/teams they are specifically hiring for. Also, consider the possibility that some of the exams they gave at interview might have more to do with how you deal with completely foreign material, with your ability to think on your feet and adjust. Which, given everything that I have had to learn since getting hired, seems pretty valuable. Graduating from college with a good GPA does not mean everything.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that Epic is a private company, they have the right to hire who they want with whatever process they want. I say more power to them.

I am currently in the interview process for an Operations Analyst position. Can you give me a ballpark figure regarding expected salary? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Rebelguy in Irving, Texas

30 months ago

jeff@medpand.net in Portland, Oregon said: I had several interviews and tests with EPIC. I would not have bothered to apply had I read through this blog. The interviews were pleasant and I did well on them, however, it's disturbing that there are (presumed) young people on this blog basically stating that it's okay for EPIC to discriminate against older workers. It's not. In fact, it's a Federal crime to even ask a question that would elicit a response that reveals the applicants age. A FEDERAL CRIME. In my second interview with EPIC I was asked half a dozen questions that were designed to pinpoint my age. It was blatant. I took an additional test and then got a message from them that said they were going with applicants whose skills better matched the position. I have no problem with that as long as "being younger" wasn't one of the skills used to make the decision.
Regardless of whether EPIC is a private company, they still have to follow Federal law . In fact, they owe much of their sales to legislation like the Federal HITECH law which helps hospitals mitigate the cost of implementing their software. It's nice how EPIC can benefit from one set of Federal laws while obviously violating another set of laws. Neat.

Listen young kids at EPIC from someone who's been around the block more than you. Any company that wants young people to work for them over experienced older people does so for only a few reasons. 1) They want to pay nothing. 2) Kids are easier to treat like garbage and will be impressed with fancy offices and low pay 3) Kids can't tell a crummy manager from a good one.

That's it.

I am an older applicant with several years of experience in the IT industry and graduate degress....I am currently going through the interview process...what are my chances of getting in ? Should i pursue the process with the hope of securing a position or should I give up but go through the process...thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

lil- in Burbank, California

29 months ago

Josh Chester in Madison, Wisconsin said: Chunky Guy is the same guy who cries and whines on every blog about Epic and says the same UNTRUE garbage. The only person here until 11pm is Judy. Most people on my team work about 40-45 hours a week, maybe a little more right before a release deadline. Arrive at 9ish, leave at 530-630 is the norm. No one is holding a gun to your head to stay and work longer. If you worked as many hours as you claim Chunky Guy, which I'm sure you didn't, it was your own fault.

Josh Chester in Madison, Wisconsin said: Chunky Guy is the same guy who cries and whines on every blog about Epic and says the same UNTRUE garbage. The only person here until 11pm is Judy. Most people on my team work about 40-45 hours a week, maybe a little more right before a release deadline. Arrive at 9ish, leave at 530-630 is the norm. No one is holding a gun to your head to stay and work longer. If you worked as many hours as you claim Chunky Guy, which I'm sure you didn't, it was your own fault.

You act as if you/your father own the Epic.

Relax, everyone is entitle to their opinion including Chunky guy whether you or LT Madison don't like it. GET OVER IT.
If you work for Epic with this attitude and they still keep you, it says a lot about the company structure and environment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Kbear in Blacksburg, Virginia

29 months ago

I know this is a bit off topic, and buried at the bottom of comments, but I don't know where else to ask about policies at Epic. My fiance has a job offer with Epic, which starts after he gets his masters degree. However, this school has seriously screwed him over, giving him only one semester to write his second year paper, and his advisers tossed him around between projects that later turned out not to be good enough for a thesis anyway. He has pushed through, even with the disadvantage, and has gotten to the point where he only has about a month left, and isn't even half way through with everything. I was wondering if, from the perspective of someone who has worked at Epic, it was a good idea to talk to Epic about this and see if they'll take him without a masters degree. He doesn't want his offer redacted from them thinking he's a quitter or something, but it's gotten pretty stressful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Rstovey

27 months ago

I have worked with Epic's product for over 10 years and I love it! If I ever got a chance to work there I would be over the moon. I work 50to 60 hours out of habit. Vacations are good but I love to work! I find everything about Epic exciting, challenging and stimulating. I have never met Judy but I hear she is inspiring. I would love to meet her. I am so impressed with what she has done. Years ago when I worked as a bedside nurse I loved taking care of patients, but wanted to jump out of a window with the paperwork and the clunkiness of getting things done. Epic hasTRANSFORMED the health care industry. Now nurses and physicians and others can focus on the patient and deliver consistently good care,which is what we went to medical and nursing school to do. I am so so grateful to this dynamic company and what it has contributed. I have dedicated my life to health care and Epic makes it the best I have ever seen. I can't even put into words how grateful I am that Epic is in our world today! Well done! You are truly appreciated by me and the millions of healthcare providers who use your system, may God bless each and everyone of you!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (53) Reply - Report abuse

PegH

18 months ago

It is interesting that you say that the head of EPIC actively engages in age discrimination against older, experienced workers. Age discrimination is against the law.

Josh Chester in Madison, Wisconsin said: You think 24 or 26 is too old? That is where you flaw in logic comes in. Yes, there are a lot of young people at Epic, yes many of the people they hire are right out of school, and that is what has been working for them. Saying they hire younger people and saying you didn't get hired based soley on your age are two different things. I have friends who have applied and not gotten jobs here and Epic doesn't tell you why, so rather than blame them for discriminating just accept the fact they hired someone else, you got other offers, so why so angry at Epic?

PEG H

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CDM in Oregon, Wisconsin

15 months ago

I am 42 and just accepted a job with Epic. They are a great company, they are just hard to get into, and for a reason. They want only the best - and people that say they are top 5% of their class...it doesn't matter. Lots of people are the top 5% of their class across the nation. A fraction of those are qualified for the positions at Epic. It also makes sense to hire younger grads for implementer positions since the travel is intense. Trust me, there were plenty of older people on campus when I was there.

I've been told that my position will have a good work / life balance. I also take pride in my work and like to do a good job. I have a family and grey hair on the sides. And no, I didn't try to dye it before the interview! All the people were friendly, I guess I did well on all the tests and overall, it took three weeks from first contact to a hired call.

So far, I see nothing but good from this company and I trust their software as it's been in all the ORs I've had the privilege of being worked on in Wisconsin :).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

normal1norma@*****.*** in Madison, Wisconsin

2 months ago

I just toured Epic and figured all the negatives were there, hidden behind the beautiful campus, etc. I AM A PATIENT AND HAVE ALREADY ENCOUNTERED AN ERROR IN THEIR SYSTEM REPORTING I AM NOT ALLERGIC TO WHAT I AM ALERGIC TO, BUT ALLERGIC TO SOMETHING ELSE. This shows the inexperience level, it is one thing to program, another thing to properly test and check out that your data is correct. I have had no luck getting this addressed and just sent a letter to the queen, Judy Faulkner to see if she REALLY CARES and is on the ball. They just pass the ball as to who is responsible AND NO WAY TO COMMUNICATE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

normal1norma@*****.*** in Madison, Wisconsin

2 months ago

CDM in Oregon, Wisconsin said: I am 42 and just accepted a job with Epic. They are a great company, they are just hard to get into, and for a reason. They want only the best - and people that say they are top 5% of their class...it doesn't matter. Lots of people are the top 5% of their class across the nation. A fraction of those are qualified for the positions at Epic. It also makes sense to hire younger grads for implementer positions since the travel is intense. Trust me, there were plenty of older people on campus when I was there.

I've been told that my position will have a good work / life balance. I also take pride in my work and like to do a good job. I have a family and grey hair on the sides. And no, I didn't try to dye it before the interview! All the people were friendly, I guess I did well on all the tests and overall, it took three weeks from first contact to a hired call.

So far, I see nothing but good from this company and I trust their software as it's been in all the ORs I've had the privilege of being worked on in Wisconsin :).

TRUST THEIR SOFTWARE. AS A PATIENT they have reported my allergy to an antibiotic wrong with no way to communicate the problem or get it corrected. See my comment on July 13, 2016

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.