More Important to be an E&Y Poser w/a BMW than Qualified

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 81)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Dan Theman in Saint Louis, Missouri

92 months ago

It's more to be a poser with E & Y than an actual qualified person. They hire on looks and not talent. Once you're in, you tell off color racist or sexist jobs and play golf a lot. It helps to have cronies to laugh at the company you're screwing while you're assisting the corp in cooking it's books to throroughly screw the taxpayers

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

scheduler in Brooklyn, New York

92 months ago

so are you telling me that as an African American female I should avoid applying for this position?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

JC in Berwyn, Illinois

91 months ago

I am of Indian descent and was denied a job because of my skin color. The reason I know this is because I had a friend that worked there that told me they over heard their hiring manager mention this. Additionally, especially in the NYC office, you will work 60+ hrs a week without being able to report actual hrs worked.

I've worked in Chicago and NY and its the same. The only reason I got hired was because I brought this issue up to the HR director. I'm stupid for even joining them after that, but quit after 3 months of being burnt out and lack of proper compensation. You've been forewarned.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

This needs to stop. Your friend and others should do something about exposing this problem. I am getting ready to go for an interview and the company that is putting forth the position has so far not divulged the company, if it's Ernst and Young, I will not even go for an interview.

Thanks for the heads up.

There needs to be a class action suit in place to stop this harassment and unequal treatment to people of color. It's possible I could pass this information on to someone who is in the Labor department to investigate this blatant racism.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

Anyone from Texas has no credibility when it comes to race unless you are a person of color. Even if you are a person of color, it depends on how dark you are before you have any credibility on what dark skinned people go through.

Indians, African Americans, Latinos, even Pacific Islanders with a tone darker than a brown bag experience racism at places like Ernst and Young. They have had a reputation for years.

If one is a good worker, many times they cannot be to smart, and too dark.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

The resume and work ethic of the hardest worker, most agressive and assertive workers are not allowed to work these days, however people that graduate from UCLA cannot even answer first grade questions and will get a six figure job, and be a total loser, one qualification, white, average, and male. It gets you the job every time.

It's gotta change.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

to non E&Y'er calling folk names, I think you meant loser not looser? E
& Y probably would hire you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

realitycheque in Jersey City, New Jersey

91 months ago

These are the facts:

• As of 2005, the number of minority employees represents 25 percent of Ernst & Young's total U.S. employee population. This number is up from 1995 when the overall minority representation was 14 percent of the total U.S. employee population, representing an increase of 79 percent.
• As of 2005, the number of Ernst & Young minority partners had increased 100 percent since 1995. During this same time period, the total number of all partners within the firm increased by 49 percent.
• In FY2005, minority full-time campus hires account for 28 percent of E&Y’s total hiring from campuses.
• Of the interns hired as of FY2005, more than 27 percent are ethnic minorities.
• In FY2005, 35 percent of the experienced hires were ethnic minorities and 25 percent of the hires at the manager level and above were ethnic minorities.

Yes, I work for the firm. I don't have numbers for 2006 but I would venture to say they are similar or higher.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Non EYer in Dallas, Texas

91 months ago

Brooklyn Dude,

Before you start attacking other people's spelling, check you're own. Oh wait, you're a typical person that blames things on racism instead of your own inability. I'm sure I forced you to misstype or the website wants to show you down.
I do not disagree that racism exists, but it goes go both ways and you prove it with your "brown bag" comment. I'm guessing you would be more inclined to hire a person of color over a white person. As Oprah said, "The best way to fight racism is through excellence". E&Y only hires the best. If you are one of the best, you will get the job. END OF STORY.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

E J Female New York

90 months ago

Hot Shot from Dallas you donot know what you are talking about. In New York as I suppose all over USA hiring is based on racism,looks and age. You probably never experience this. Until you experience this be quiet. I believe that
Ernst and Young is no different than all of the other cooperations. YWM and YWF.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

When the shoe is placed on the other foot and corporate America really reflects the population of America, white men will become a smaller minority and you already hear them crying racism.

Chances are (as I've witnessed time and time again) the black woman was more qualified than the white male who had the priviledge of hiring the black woman once she learned the position requirements.

I have worked with, met so many below to average white men who have had priviledge for years to think they are better, but just get the priviledge of hiring and firing. They hire and fire out of fear unless there is a mandate to hire a minority.

As the NY female said, racism is rampant in corporate America here in NY and that is now because so many carpetbaggers from the midwest and the southern states littering corporate American offices in NY. The intimidation of whites towards people of color is astronomical.

Don't have a black man in the mix, no matter how smart or qualified someone from the white race will demonize them. A latino man, indian man, even asian man has a much better chance than an Ivy league dark skinned black man unless he is homosexual.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

E J Female New York

90 months ago

I do not know anything about E&Y and I do not know anyone who work for them all I am saying is that racism does exist in NYC and Corporate America and it could exist in E&Y too I am not saying it is. Dallas person you could have good reason to defend E&Y,but just relax noone is attacking you it is not personal it is what it is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

J - Chicago in Chicago, Illinois

90 months ago

THe topic of racism here is not a question of "crying wolf" per say or even an excuse. I worked at the firm for a few years, and saw how these things work internally. I had a few close contacts within the HR department (good friends of mine actually) who were constantly told by partners in a specific office that although there's a 'quota' of how many minorities had to be hired, to proceed with "extreme caution" when "dealing with those people." Because specifics on a type of race were never given to them, I think it's safe to assume that they weren't focusing on a specific ethnic group, but minorities in general.

There's other reasons I don't recommend working at the Firm, and I feel that it's my responsibility to educate those who haven't worked there but may potentially do so in the future. Of course, I can't tell someone not to work there since it's ultimately their decision - however I can at least make you aware of my experiences that will help formulate your final decision. I chose to leave the firm because of many reasons, and not specifically this one. The bottom line is this: they'll still work your ass long hours, not let you charge and report these hours accordingly (because it's all about the budget and not the so called "People First Culture"), and underpay you. The one positive you'll get out of it is a solid name on your resume, which is all they are worth anyway. And another thing, a company can advertise that people come first and that a great flexible work environment is offered, however much of this applies only to Management (something you won't be told when hired obviously). This is EXTREMELY apparent if you're a Staff/Senior because of inadequate staffing and budget limitations.. it is very rare that you can take advantage of the perks, you almost have to ask yourself: What's the point of all these benefits if you can't use them?

In terms of the kid from Dallas - nothing he says is credible anyway and it shows in his response.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

NWU MBA-GRAD in Naperville, Illinois

90 months ago

I have had difficulty in the application process with E&Y as well. The EEOC disclosure appears to be a conduit to screen-out disenfranchised minority applicants. The Big 4 portends inclusion. Yet, there is a distinct difference between the promulgation of this ideal and the actual hiring and subsequent promotion of qualified, disenfranchised minorities.

The aforementioned practice must stop.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

I agree, but the only way it can stop is if there is a concerted effort on the part of those who want a better corporate capitalist society to force the issue.

During the Clinton years, followed by the Bush years it seems the EEOC does not exist. The Big 4 in accounting followed by the Big 6 in Engineering should be investigated, and the discrimination should be broadcast or folks like you, I and others on this board should make sure we never apply for work at these companies.

Black institutions will tell a person which companies are racist. They tell their students the worst most racist companies in capitalistic America, stay away from them.

90 months ago

I have an MBA from a top-tier school and a Second Masters in a highly quantitative area. Additionally, I graduated #3 in my class. Many of the applicants with which I compete, do not have my skill set, academic background, knowledge base, or experience yet they have an easier time networking with potential employers. Many firms are not comfortable hiring, or working with blacks. Additionally, I have been subjected to some of the most ridiculous statements in interviews;
*We don’t have many blacks in this group, would this be a problem for you?
*This isn’t a diverse environment, and we want to make sure we hire people we can work with…
*We are not sure you are the right cultural fit…
* Phone Screenings: What is your ethnicity? Why did you need a second master’s degree? Did you not get enough bang for the buck on the first one?

The aforementioned examples provide salience to the point that, the mental models of many non-minorities are such that they do not believe racism can be observed, or experienced outside of someone using the N-word. The fact is that correspondence bias and confirmation bias contribute to groupthink, and prevents many qualified blacks from getting hired simply because many of us have to accomplish more to remove any plausible doubt in our abilities. In essence, people hire who they feel comfortable with. The reality is that blacks need incremental education to have just an entry-level opportunity in a career of choice. Education and experience is not a guarantee, and it is more difficult for blacks to meet various benchmarks.

With so many road blocks how can anyone make it?
*If your parents did not have an undergraduate education
*You have to self-finance your undergrad/grad degrees (adversely affecting your credit score)
*Your social network lacks the necessary ties to get into a particular field (this disproportionately effects blacks because 6 out of 10 jobs are found through networking)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Putting up a website listing these racist companies would be a great service to minorities looking for employment.

The thing to do is entrap these racist organizations that make profit off of your retirement benefits, portfolios, other types of investments that belong to folk who are managed by E&Y.

I am beginning to think that when there are lots of postings for a company there is something wrong with them in the diversity department.

It seems E&Y is committing illegal acts by forcing one to work only to not pay them. I had that happen to me once and I am still pissed that I did nothing about it. There are many things that have happened, if only I had a camera on me, or a tape recorder, things would be different.

The masses should know of the atrocities by whites on diverse folk looking for employment in this country. From what I understand now, when companies look for diverse employees they go to other countries. Americans are losing out on all ends. If we do nothing it will only get worse. My children, your children no one's children will get employment if the right decisions are not made, discussed and challenged concerning these issues.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Listing these racist "ignorant" questions and the name of the corporations that asked them should be status quo for people of color to notify everyone just how racist American capitalists are in this day and age when people of color are spending dollars at universities to better themselves.

Uploading to YOUTUBE via anonymous postings would be even better. Keep writing, I have a update to let me know when there are postings to this discussion. I am tired of the bigotry, racism, and decline in excellence in this country.

The blacks that you see in Corporate America are sometimes below average but those are the ones they choose to make everyone else look bad.

I have had such questions asked, but the "not fitting in" is a racist comment saying, you are black and you will not fit in here. This is Unamerican and should not be tolerated.

Have you considered becoming an entrepreneur? A accountant watchdog to get companies like the ones you have interviewed with exposed?

Joining the NAACP and keeping paid up dues are supposed to assist in putting issues like this to rest. Are you a member of your local NAACP? Is there a chapter at your school?

I have no other ideas at this moment to but the fact that you know, I know and others of color on this board outside of some ignorant Texan means there are folk that need to know about this behavior.

Non EYer in Fort Worth, Texas

90 months ago

I find it very sad that some blame their failures on race. It perpetuates to the kids and they actually believe this. You can continue to use your bigotted assaults on me b/c I'm from TX, but all of these postings are factually incorrect. First, you all claim this is a capitalistic society. If that's true, then the only color that matters is green. If a black person (oh.... I'm sorry, African American, Negro, Colored, Bright --- please educate me on what to call you now) makes a company more money, they get the job. If that's not true, then we are NOT a capitalistic society. How hard is that to understand?
A bit about me.... I have been doing the Big Brother program for 6 years now. My little, Robert, is a black kid. He has fallen into having the "victim mentality" at times blaming things on being black. I tell him that by blaming his color, he is being ashamed of it. Instead I try to have him embrace his difference and to take advantage of it. Robert is an extremely smart kid. In all honesty, the world is his oyster b/c of his color. The greatest lesson I have learned while doing this volunteer work is that I do see how racism affects Robert. I also see how he will sometimes blame racism for things that he has done. He did steal something from a store (like all of us probably did at one point). He was mad that the store was "watching" him b/c of his color. He did not see that stealing was wrong, rather he focused on the supposed racism. Is it good for black kids to blame everything on racism? I personally don't think so.
Here's an olive branch. I truly want to understand (although I may never be able to) where racism derives from. I honestly thought when I posted on this board that I could actually get some meaningful discussion. Instead, I got people who attacked me. I'm guessing there are some who read this that want to have an open discussion without personal attacks. If interested in a true discussion on racism in Corp America, let me know

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Amen.... (dark-skinned Black Men having MBA's from Ivy League Schools applaud....)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

I agree a website should be developed that discusses these issues. I will develop one this summer... Additionally, I believe the media should be aware of this site, so that socially conscious members of society can;

•Stop applying for employment with organizations practicing discrimination against African Americans
•Cease the PURCHASE OF GOODS AND SERVICES produced by organizations that discriminate/exploit laborers regardless of Race, Sexual Orientation, and Nationality
•Has EEOC Judgments/Litigation filings against them

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

TX You have no clue about racism, and what it has, does and will do if you are of the majority. And if from TX, you never encounter the issues posted on this job board for E&Y.

The black female astronaut was arrested in Texas for God sakes vs a white one who almost killed someone looking at her man. It seems if you are black you will be arrested at one time or another if you reside in TX...I don't know,

I've run into quite a few TX managers who get enraged by experience & knowledge of color, you feel it and they let you know, ignorant enough to just come out look like total fools, above everything professional. It's funny, really. I recognize and believe in this capitalistic America with more vigor than ever.

This is about fair employment. Young graduates of color should learn to focus on becoming an entrepreneur instead of working for some capitalist venture that practices racism over excellence. Start-up with little money, Find investors, venture into your own capitalistic industry of specialty by partnering with retired seniors of color in your industry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

MBA from Utah not an E&Y Employee in Salt Lake City, Utah

90 months ago

NWU MBA-GRAD said: I agree a website should be developed that discusses these issues. I will develop one this summer... Additionally, I believe the media should be aware of this site, so that socially conscious members of society can;
•Stop applying for employment with organizations practicing discrimination against African Americans
•Cease the PURCHASE OF GOODS AND SERVICES produced by organizations that discriminate/exploit laborers regardless of Race, Sexual Orientation, and Nationality
•Has EEOC Judgments/Litigation filings against them

If you decide to stop purchasing goods from companies that exploit people regardless of Race, Sexual Orientation, and Nationality then you better start growing your own fruits and veggies. Try building your own house. Not very many companies are equitable in those industries.

By the way... it only affects you if you let it. If you are complaining and you don't have a 3.8 - 4.0 from a credible university with a Masters in Accounting or an MBA then you have no right to complain. Should have went to less parties and studied harder.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

OBL in Ecton, United Kingdom

90 months ago

American’s what a bunch of hypocrites; you tell me since post 9/11 isn’t everyone a racist! No one trusts anyone, be they black, white or any shade or green, because we can’t forget the aliens are trying to wreak havoc on the world also. I am white, middle class, and a Christian, with a university degree, there are fewer jobs available to me because employers HAVE to fill their minorities quota, be they right for the job or not. I choose not to believe all people from other racial backgrounds are any different to me, we all breath, bleed, and reproduce in the same way, I choose not to judge a person because of the colour of their skin, I choose… so can you! Look into your own soul to define your own beliefs don’t stereotype yourself, that’s the true nature of racisms.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

I REST MY CASE.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Whatever...racism exists. Everyone looking feels the sae as you do writer fro the UK, however people that hire and fire are racist. You cannot get past this. Most folk have university degrees, and in my line of work they always let the black person go first, even though the person has been known to be genius material.

Racism exists, you cannot get past it. If you are white, caucasian or whatever you can do something, but until you hire the right person, racism will be the issue cited by those who know this to be true.

so much venom, so much hate, doesn't pay to be so irate.
those who enslaved have descendants
where the sins of the fathers will always inhibit
until what was wronged is right
and what was right is wronged

Peace.

90 months ago

scheduler said: Whatever...racism exists. Everyone looking feels the sae as you do writer fro the UK, however people that hire and fire are racist. You cannot get past this. Most folk have university degrees, and in my line of work they always let the black person go first, even though the person has been known to be genius material.
Racism exists, you cannot get past it. If you are white, caucasian or whatever you can do something, but until you hire the right person, racism will be the issue cited by those who know this to be true.
so much venom, so much hate, doesn't pay to be so irate.
those who enslaved have descendants
where the sins of the fathers will always inhibit
until what was wronged is right
and what was right is wronged
Peace.

I agree with you totally... the comments on this board are just...$%^$&^&&*%#

t in New York, New York

90 months ago

scheduler said:
Don't have a black man in the mix, no matter how smart or qualified someone from the white race will demonize them. A latino man, indian man, even asian man has a much better chance than an Ivy league dark skinned black man unless he is homosexual.

If you knew anything about E&Y, you'd know that they have one of the largest gay-inclusive employee group in the entire country. If anyone values workplace diversity, it's surely E&Y. I've been to events there and it's absolutely AMAZING.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

t in ny says:
If you knew anything about E&Y, you'd know that they have one of the largest gay-inclusive employee group in the entire country. If anyone values workplace diversity, it's surely E&Y. I've been to events there and it's absolutely AMAZING.

You know that may just be the problem. Just as in much of todays' society, being gay gets you in, and heterosexuals, out. The problem is the best are not being chosen, and too many qualified folk are not finding employment. Nothing against anyone being gay, but as they take over industries its like if you are heterosexual, did the right things, have the right background, grades, and other qualifications, you're not chosen. However, if you have a few of the right qualifications and are gay, then you are in.

This forum is speaking about the qualified who are not finding work. Being gay should not matter. Being straight should not matter, but as the many posters on the boards are saying, blacks that are not qualified are being chosen, lesbian and gay types inclusive.

We all know just because some is gay or lesbian, black or white, hispanic, indian, african, yada, yada, yada doesn't mean they are the most qualified, many are less than qualified but may have a degree.

Thinking about applying there, a E&Y poster on this board spoke of backroom conversations where the diverse that are hired are less than the desirable, or even qualified, called the "n" word, and vilified, causing those blacks that are qualified to suffer being less than desirable. If one is intelligent, lives their lives based on excellence, do not apply. I appreciate the info.

Darian Hart in Las Vegas, Nevada

90 months ago

This is the crap that comes up when you do a Google search on E&Y forums. Unbelievably mind-numbing drivel...has it occured to any of the pity-seeking applicants that got denied that perhaps your interviewer just didn't like you? Why don't people understand that no matter your background, race, education, etc, you need to interview better than the next guy/gal and sell yourself to the PEOPLE interviewing you.

These are multi-national companies that are looking for an edge in the ultra-competitive global economy. They really don't care what the hell you look like or where you're from if you can contribute positively to the bottom-line and give them a good return on their investment. They want and hire who they see as the best and the brightest. If you think you are the afformentioned, then explore ways to make somebody else share your opinion.

And don't try to project unsavory personal experiences, that are loaded with biases, on an entire company like E&Y. That is the same logic that is used to produce racism, classism, sexism, and countless other generalizations using discrete experiences. In this case, it's most often a convenient excuse for the angry and conciliatory under-acheivers.

Here are my demographics for the flamers:
27 y/o male, multi-racial, pursuing grad school at a tier-3 public university, West coast native, Offered at D&T, PwC, and E&Y.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

This is what I believe to be true.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

James in Chicago, Illinois

90 months ago

And those that have worked there and have seen, heard, and experienced this first hand? Forget about the application process - I speak as someone who spent 5 1/2 years there, all through my years in College. I didn't realize how truly bad it was until I left.

Anyone thinking about applying/accepting a position there have questions? I'd be happy to share my experiences from the Chicago office.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Darian Hart said: This is the crap that comes up when you do a Google search on E&Y forums. Unbelievably mind-numbing drivel...has it occured to any of the pity-seeking applicants that got denied that perhaps your interviewer just didn't like you? Why don't people understand that no matter your background, race, education, etc, you need to interview better than the next guy/gal and sell yourself to the PEOPLE interviewing you.
These are multi-national companies that are looking for an edge in the ultra-competitive global economy. They really don't care what the hell you look like or where you're from if you can contribute positively to the bottom-line and give them a good return on their investment. They want and hire who they see as the best and the brightest. If you think you are the afformentioned, then explore ways to make somebody else share your opinion.
And don't try to project unsavory personal experiences, that are loaded with biases, on an entire company like E&Y. That is the same logic that is used to produce racism, classism, sexism, and countless other generalizations using discrete experiences. In this case, it's most often a convenient excuse for the angry and conciliatory under-acheivers.
Here are my demographics for the flamers:
27 y/o male, multi-racial, pursuing grad school at a tier-3 public university, West coast native, Offered at D&T, PwC, and E&Y.

Let me guess.... non-black E&Y employee???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Additionally, I attend a school that is no where near tier 3...

Alternatively, what school did you attend, and why do you feel more qualified because of it?

Princess Delilah in Painesville, Ohio

90 months ago

I am seeing too many comments pretty much saying that racism doesnt exist and companies are always fair in their hiring practices. What a load of malarky! When a person is rejected there could be alot of reasons and they are not always fair or legal. To say otherwise shows a lack of common sense.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Racis is a reason for rejection, but never noted. If there was an inclination for truth telling, where one had to note why someone was not hired, it would be interesting to compare the folk who do not get hired to the folk that do.

One thing for sure, persons of color, women, others can look in an office situation and see statistics that show racism can be some common thread for rejection.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

scheduler said: Racis is a reason for rejection, but never noted. If there was an inclination for truth telling, where one had to note why someone was not hired, it would be interesting to compare the folk who do not get hired to the folk that do.
One thing for sure, persons of color, women, others can look in an office situation and see statistics that show racism can be some common thread for rejection.

I AGREE...... TOTALLY

Considering E&Y from PwC in Saint Petersburg, Florida

89 months ago

James said:
Anyone thinking about applying/accepting a position there have questions? I'd be happy to share my experiences from the Chicago office.

I would be very interested in talking to you about the Chicago office. I am currently a PwC employee, but I recently applied to and was contacted by E&Y regarding a position in Chicago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

James in Berwyn, Illinois

89 months ago

Considering E&Y from PwC in Saint Petersburg, Florida said: I would be very interested in talking to you about the Chicago office. I am currently a PwC employee, but I recently applied to and was contacted by E&Y regarding a position in Chicago.

---

I would be happy to answer any questions that you have about E&Y and my experiences with them over the past few years. If you have specific questions, send me an email to visionthedj@yahoo.com and I'd be more than happy to assist. From what I've seen, you're better off at PwC (I can give you specifics via email)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Audrey (Host) in Austin, Texas

89 months ago

If race was not a factor at all in hiring decisions what would companies look like? If you factor in education level and level of training and experience as "qualifications" and factor out just race what would that be like? Are there other types of discrimination that are in play that are not addressed by affirmative action, such as socioeconomic status. People often confuse race and class discrimination.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

blogMeTender in Hayward, California

89 months ago

I happen to be white and straight. And I have not gotten every job I've applied for.

I also have a friend who's black and gay. And he hasn't gotten every job he's applied for.

When it comes to getting a job, that statement above about "If you are one of the best, you will get the job" is totally wrong. First, resume/interviewing skills are completely separate from actual job skills. Second, those people who are doing the hiring are as human as the candidate, meaning they too can make mistakes, including the one on passing on extremely capable people.

Unless you yourself have ever turned down for a job that you know you could do, you cannot possibly speak from experience about the pain of rejection. So I reject your opinion, for starters.

Lastly, I thank my black and gay friend who's shown me that when things look gloomy (especially in the hateful world of securing employment), it pays to be "dark and happy."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

MBA from Utah not an E&Y Employee in Salt Lake City, Utah

88 months ago

THE FAIR COMES TO TOWN IN SEPTEMBER AND THAT IS THE ONLY "FAIR" I AM AWARE OF.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Phillyanon in New York, New York

88 months ago

Dan Theman in Saint Louis, Missouri said: It's more to be a poser with E & Y than an actual qualified person. They hire on looks and not talent. Once you're in, you tell off color racist or sexist jobs and play golf a lot. It helps to have cronies to laugh at the company you're screwing while you're assisting the corp in cooking it's books to throroughly screw the taxpayers

I wouldn't say they are racist so much as they definitely hire thin & cute over a more qualified not-so-cute accounting grad. The work is very trainable and there are a lot of airheads that come into big 4, but then the long hours weeds the partiers out. No one normal would stick around to witness this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

tn_nerd_boy in Houston, Texas

88 months ago

Some of these people (non-minorities claiming there's no racism) are crazy. Racism in the corporate world doesn't exist?

My aunt graduated from Harvard with a decent GPA, and went to U. Chicago, one of the best MBA programs in the country. She was often lauded for her brilliant marketing schemes. Well, guess what. They hired one or two people over her who were younger, and had less experience (and were unproven). I doubt they had Harvard degrees. How can you promote somebody over someone with better credentials and experience?

My other aunt is told she's brilliant and smart. Then they hire white women just getting their degrees over her. She has to train this girl to do a job that is higher than hers. What kind of trash is this?

As for myself. I attend grad school at one of the top institutions of the nation in a highly quantitative field- and still am a victim of stereotypes. I constantly feel the need to prove myself- though I passed my qualifying exams, while at the same time securing a fellowship.

I'm called an Uncle Tom because I always wait and look at the details before crying racism. So I'm not some black nationalist Panther. I am constantly in a struggle to tell blacks that not everything is racism, while telling some whites that racism still exists. In this case, I think I have to say racism exists. Didn't you hear about Texaco? The executives were fired for saying sh-t like "those black jellybeans just seem to end up at the bottom of the jar." How can you guys hear stuff like that and say there's no racism? Sounds like you are OK on book sense, but lacking life sense.

I truly believe in capitalism, but there's one thing people don't understand. The corporate world is based HIGHLY on networking, connections, and the like. If you don't believe this, I doubt you have any experience there. You think Bill Gates did serious nationwide searches to find who to put on his board??? NO!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Audrey (Host) in Austin, Texas said: If race was not a factor at all in hiring decisions what would companies look like? If you factor in education level and level of training and experience as "qualifications" and factor out just race what would that be like?
Are there other types of discrimination that are in play that are not addressed by affirmative action, such as socioeconomic status.
People often confuse race and class discrimination.

This is true, but often in the corporate world, the minorities that get their foot in the door are from good middle-class homes.

The minority business program I was in was started when this Wall Street CEO said "We don't have qualified minorities in our firm, because we can't find any." Funny. Now the program participants actually peform better than the average person in the company they work for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Just think how successful the US could be in business if there was no racism, there would be too many jobs for folk to be fighting. tn_nerd_boy, only middle class kids from decent families make it through college, they are ones that benefit most from affirmative action which is one of the issues related to irreplaceable bumps in the system which depletes creativity from young poor blacks that have no chance unless they truly persevere and fight, and have support from some family member.
And they are the ones who make it into corporate america, but even they are getting fired if over-achievers, or qualify to be like the cherished white guy or better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Not to mention the current makeup of boards of Fortune 500 companies. If you look, most executives are white males over 50. There aren't even that many white females. However, if you look at the makeup of MBA and undergraduate business programs, there is diversity everywhere.

Now they can't tell me that minorities graduating from MBA programs just simply aren't as good as their white counterparts. Asians and white women actually perform better on standardized tests than white men, but yet white men are the majority of the leadership in corporate America. This is an outright contradiction.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

By the way, the blacks that outperform others on standardized tests and make good grades also face the glass ceiling as well.

88 months ago

It's a contradiction and a curse on America and her ability to compete. Boards, corporations should be as diverse as America, and when and since it is not, America as a global force will fall to number two to China very soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Guest in Charlotte, North Carolina

87 months ago

tn_nerd boy: I have a sister who is somewhat like you. She earned degrees from elite schools and has worked in corporate America for 14 years, her entire career. Whenever she tells me about certain situations I tell her immediately that it's racism. She chooses, however, to try to find every other explanation for why it's happening. Let me give you an example: a large company hired her for it's diversity program and on her first day there, the manager whom she reported to acted as if she didn't know anything about my sister's employment. For the life of me I couldn't convince my sister that the manager was trying to tell her that she considered the diversity program a waste of time. The manager constantly kept my sister out of the loop and gave her bad evaluations. The Senior manager knew what was going on and changed the evaluations, but he didn't reprimand the junior manager. Now my sister has quit and is going to work for a non-profit. Her salary will be reduced by $20,000 or more and she has immersed herself in church. That is not the first time she has received less than fair treatment. It's been that way throughout her career and she keeps leaving Fortune 500 companies, hoping that the next one will be better. I think she had a breakdown and doesn't realize it. She blames her misfortune on corporate structure, but the white VPs sitting next to her haven't given up their $85,000-plus salaaries in frustration. It's racism, plain and simple. The thing you should remember is that you're Black and it's not really going to get any better for you. The most we as a people can hope for is that we won't lose any of the ground we gained when I was a youngster (I'm almost 50 now). It's a bitter pill to have to swallow, but that's just the way it is and will be for the foreseeable future, thanks to the Republicans.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.