Getting in...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

Host

Do you work at Ernst & Young? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

Pingu in Schaumburg, Illinois

94 months ago

dont forget that ey has upto 30% of CTC salary as bonus based on performance (this is for senior level) . For manager, the bonus range is upto 40%

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JC in Berwyn, Illinois

92 months ago

I used to work for the firm.. if you like working 50-60 hrs a week without being compensated for it - this is the place for you. As a matter of fact, you cant even report the amount of hours you work because that goes against the budget. Stay away - go to another big 4 where you'll be happer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Carol Stream, Illinois

87 months ago

I worked at EY as an intern. And it is a great place to work because everyone you worked with are people who are sharp. I know they look for people that are not only good with technical stuff, but someone who has confidence to represent their clients. They look for people who are smart, but at the same time people who are confident....In fact, they care more about seeing your body language and confidence then the accuracy of your knowledge in accounting. You can teach and learn tax/audit from books and training....but you cannot teach confidence and people skills to someone easily...if you are a student, they look for student activities and etc....One thing you have to remember is that success at EY is not based only on your knowledge about accounting field...knowledge is very important, but what they really care about is how you will represent them when meeting with clients...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

K2 in San Jose, California

87 months ago

I interviewed with E&Y. They had a recruiting day for Executive Assistants. I only interviewed with one person. And then they called me back to interview with the other person who was sitting right next to me in the first interview interviewing some other person. Geez. With the second interview I found out that they have a Secretary Pool. That went out in the 1980s. I wasn't going to work only for the C-level management, I was to do whatever work the Lead was going to give me. That means that if someone works slowly, I end up doing their work. The Lead person looked lazy in the interview. Nope. I don't want to work there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

John Paul in Cleveland, Ohio

84 months ago

James in Berwyn, I am interested in TSRS and IT Audit at E&Y (interviewing in a couple weeks). I am ready to sit for the CPA as soon as I graduate. Do they value CPA's in this position? Also, my major is Accounting, my curriculum is limited in terms of upper-level MIS courses. Is it a deterrence that I have few CS/IT/MIS courses? My accounting background is rock solid. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

samgirl in Chicago, Illinois

84 months ago

Yes they value CPA's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kaushal mehta in Tempe, Arizona

84 months ago

Hi,

I am also having interview with EY within couple of weeks. I am Masters Computer Science student and having interview for TSRS, IT Risk / IT Audit position.

Could you please give me some insight about this position and what sort of skills do EY generally look for this position candidates? I have no accounting background :(.

Thanks for reading though.

Bye
Take Care

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

MC in Colorful in Denver, Colorado

80 months ago

Empathy. You must put yourself in your interviewers' shoes. You must clear any fear or nervousness and actually communicate with the people you meet during your interview session. Take your personality out of the question. If you don't get the job, you will have communicated, something that is rarely done in the day to day world, your hopes and fears to another essentient being.

The company wants people it is not ashamed or embarrass to have communicate with its customers, and thus negatively impact the customer from coming back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ashish Chakraborty in Dublin, Ohio

79 months ago

James in Berwyn, Illinois said: As an intern they'll treat you very well and pay you overtime. Go on full time and stick around for a while - you'll be in for a pretty horrible experience. I was in their IT Audit and Security practice.

The Audit (AABS) group is not a fun group to be in, especially during busy season. This may be the case with a lot of accounting firms, but working 70-80 hr's a week, not getting compensated appropriately, and having to work weekends without decent recognition for your work would make any place tough to work.

I used to work in the IT group doing support and teaching new hire classes as well. The goal is to hire as many as possible, make them work like crazy, and maintain a retention rate of MAYBE 50%. If they do that, they consider it a success.

I spent almost 6 years at the firm, both on the internal support side and client service side. If you've got questions or concerns, I'm sure I can address many of them!

Hi 'James in Berwyn',
I am applying for a System Analyst position with the IT department in Ernst and Young. They have told thee role is for internal support systems.
Could you tell me the work environment, weekly hours and work pressure ?
Is it possible to have life outside work in EnY ?

Looking forward to some guidance from you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

rtchica630 in Greenwich, Connecticut

60 months ago

Question. I am a student who did not intern with EY. I got invited to the second round office interview. I heard that if you are an intern and make it to the office interview then you are pretty much golden unless you really screw it up. Is this the same case if you are being hired full-time? How competitive is it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (152) / No (39) Reply - Report abuse

MASTERPC in Arlington, Virginia

46 months ago

Hi all,

I have six (6) interviews lined up next week (three principle partners, one senior manager and two managers) for a Manager or Senior Consultant role in NYC. Any advice on the type of questions you think they may ask? I've only had one screener interview with the recruiter before this offering to come visit.

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Man with a plan in Richmond, Virginia

26 months ago

MASTERPC in Arlington, Virginia said: Hi all,

I have six (6) interviews lined up next week (three principle partners, one senior manager and two managers) for a Manager or Senior Consultant role in NYC. Any advice on the type of questions you think they may ask? I've only had one screener interview with the recruiter before this offering to come visit.

Thanks!

Masterpc,

By the time you read this, you will have either been made an offer, or rejected. This sounds very much like an interview I was set up for in Charlotte. I was sought out by a recruiting firm in NYC and the were rapidly hiring in their Charlotte office. At the time, I was scheduled to interview with 6 people within 3 hours. I was surprised.... 30 minutes/person? I really thought they would have done a panel type interview to be more efficient and thorough. The interviews were completely off topic and I was only ever asked one question having to do with the job. Very inefficient and I don't think I had a real chance to express ANY of my skills (other than body language!) . After, I was told that 60% of this one manager's decision on hiring me is in my body language. They were certainly looking for a certain type of person they could groom. I really think they try to bury this one person's decision among the other 5. Perhaps they were trying to hire so fast, they had to rotate these people amongst the candidates at the same time. Believe me, I have been to countless job interviews in my day and have zero anxiety or awkwardness about the experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MASTERPC in Arlington, Virginia

26 months ago

Wow!

This is too funny. Brings back interesting memories for sure..

Thanks for your feedback and you are on point all the way. I was offered a lateral move but at 89250.00 for me to move to NYC? That wasn't happening so I appreciatively declined. Funny, I used to live in Charlotte and the cost of living is something that I miss dearly!

Did you get an offer after your interviews and did you move?

Man with a plan in Richmond, Virginia said: Masterpc,

By the time you read this, you will have either been made an offer, or rejected. This sounds very much like an interview I was set up for in Charlotte. I was sought out by a recruiting firm in NYC and the were rapidly hiring in their Charlotte office. At the time, I was scheduled to interview with 6 people within 3 hours. I was surprised.... 30 minutes/person? I really thought they would have done a panel type interview to be more efficient and thorough. The interviews were completely off topic and I was only ever asked one question having to do with the job. Very inefficient and I don't think I had a real chance to express ANY of my skills (other than body language!) . After, I was told that 60% of this one manager's decision on hiring me is in my body language. They were certainly looking for a certain type of person they could groom. I really think they try to bury this one person's decision among the other 5. Perhaps they were trying to hire so fast, they had to rotate these people amongst the candidates at the same time. Believe me, I have been to countless job interviews in my day and have zero anxiety or awkwardness about the experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.