Comed Meter Reader position

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (50)

Cruz9 in Chicago, Illinois

76 months ago

Can anyone tell me how to get an enter level position at comed as a meter reader?I applied online already.Do I have to know someone in the company?also what type of test do they make you take? THANKS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (116) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Mr. H in Chicago Heights, Illinois

75 months ago

Yeah you have to know an employee. It can take months if you dont know any employees. Actually buddy im scheduale for a test/ interview, meter reader position this thursday April 17th at the ComEd Commercial Center. Oakbrook Illinois... Its an aptitude test, basic mathematics, etc. I have been told many stories though. Life questions on the test, no coding and zip codes so i dont know i just buckle down and really show myself come thursday morning man.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Cruz9 in Chicago, Illinois

75 months ago

Yeah i figured you need to know someone.Hey well good luck on thur man!i was wondering did you applied online? Oh let me know how you do.Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Mr, H in Homewood, Illinois

75 months ago

Yeah it went ok this morning man. It was tables and codeing stuff like zip codes. yeah so now, its like two weeks till the results

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

kavery in Chicago, Illinois

75 months ago

Mr. H in Chicago Heights, Illinois said: Yeah you have to know an employee. It can take months if you dont know any employees. Actually buddy im scheduale for a test/ interview, meter reader position this thursday April 17th at the ComEd Commercial Center. Oakbrook Illinois... Its an aptitude test, basic mathematics, etc. I have been told many stories though. Life questions on the test, no coding and zip codes so i dont know i just buckle down and really show myself come thursday morning man.[/QUOT

Mr. K-

how was the test? I take it next week. Does it have alot of math questions? Also, does it have any english/spelling on the exam? I really need to get this job, and would like some insight on the exam. Thus, if you could provide specific examples, so that I know what to study, that would be great. Also, was it computer based training? most importantly, did you get hired. Best of luck. Kavery

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

kavery in Chicago, Illinois

75 months ago

Mr. H in Chicago Heights, Illinois said: Yeah you have to know an employee. It can take months if you dont know any employees. Actually buddy im scheduale for a test/ interview, meter reader position this thursday April 17th at the ComEd Commercial Center. Oakbrook Illinois... Its an aptitude test, basic mathematics, etc. I have been told many stories though. Life questions on the test, no coding and zip codes so i dont know i just buckle down and really show myself come thursday morning man.

what are some of the specific questions on the exam? I take the test next week..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

JERMON MURPHY in Chicago, Illinois

74 months ago

HOW DO I FIND OUT ABOUT THIS JOB

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

j in Chicago, Illinois

69 months ago

I did not get the job. the test was basic questions such as numbering, and baisc math. the starting pay = $10.00 a hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

paul chicago in chicago, Illinois

53 months ago

i dont know what job you applied for, but i am a meter reader for Comed. i started 3 years ago at $14.50 and am currently at $17.50 plus bonus'. the first test you take is what i call a dummy test. its pretty much a multiplication table. there is a chart on top and a chart on the side and its asks you where something intersects on the chart and you answer. after you pass that then you go in for an interview. just tell them your a hard worker, have no problem with customers and no problems walking all day. after you pass the interview then you have to pass a meter pro test where they teach you how to read meters. you get paid for the 3 days of training. if i recall half of the first day they show you how to read meters, then you have 2 and 1/2 days to pass the test. to pass the test you need to correctly read 500 meters in a row. you can make mistakes, but you have to start over. i think it took me 3 try's. good luck on finding the job since they havent hired for meter readers in over a year, but hopefully they do so i can get promoted. fyi if you chose to read in the city you will be dealing with hoodlums and wild dogs all day long, but you wont be walking as much. if you are in the burbs you are gonna be walking all day, but dont have to worry about pitbulls and rottweilers as much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dan in Park Ridge, Illinois

30 months ago

Hey Paul I'm very interested in working for comed and have been looking into an entry level meter reader. Any openings coming up soon?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

mando in Bolingbrook, Illinois

30 months ago

paul chicago in chicago, Illinois said: i dont know what job you applied for, but i am a meter reader for Comed. i started 3 years ago at $14.50 and am currently at $17.50 plus bonus'. the first test you take is what i call a dummy test. its pretty much a multiplication table. there is a chart on top and a chart on the side and its asks you where something intersects on the chart and you answer. after you pass that then you go in for an interview. just tell them your a hard worker, have no problem with customers and no problems walking all day. after you pass the interview then you have to pass a meter pro test where they teach you how to read meters. you get paid for the 3 days of training. if i recall half of the first day they show you how to read meters, then you have 2 and 1/2 days to pass the test. to pass the test you need to correctly read 500 meters in a row. you can make mistakes, but you have to start over. i think it took me 3 try's. good luck on finding the job since they havent hired for meter readers in over a year, but hopefully they do so i can get promoted. fyi if you chose to read in the city you will be dealing with hoodlums and wild dogs all day long, but you wont be walking as much. if you are in the burbs you are gonna be walking all day, but dont have to worry about pitbulls and rottweilers as much.

What happends after the interview???? Do you have to wait a week then take a drug test?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alec Viramontes in Plainfield, Illinois

29 months ago

paul chicago in chicago, Illinois said: i dont know what job you applied for, but i am a meter reader for Comed. i started 3 years ago at $14.50 and am currently at $17.50 plus bonus'. the first test you take is what i call a dummy test. its pretty much a multiplication table. there is a chart on top and a chart on the side and its asks you where something intersects on the chart and you answer. after you pass that then you go in for an interview. just tell them your a hard worker, have no problem with customers and no problems walking all day. after you pass the interview then you have to pass a meter pro test where they teach you how to read meters. you get paid for the 3 days of training. if i recall half of the first day they show you how to read meters, then you have 2 and 1/2 days to pass the test. to pass the test you need to correctly read 500 meters in a row. you can make mistakes, but you have to start over. i think it took me 3 try's. good luck on finding the job since they havent hired for meter readers in over a year, but hopefully they do so i can get promoted. fyi if you chose to read in the city you will be dealing with hoodlums and wild dogs all day long, but you wont be walking as much. if you are in the burbs you are gonna be walking all day, but dont have to worry about pitbulls and rottweilers as much.

Looks like it's been awhile since you werre contaced about ComEd. Are you still employed with them? If so, what capacity are you currently in? I took a meter reader test back on 12.13.11 passed and still awaitng contact for an interview. Do you know if this is common practice? I realize that they are a HUGE company, just getting anxious. Please reply when you can, thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Cary, Illinois

29 months ago

Hey Alec, I recently applied at Com ed and did not even get an interview. I have 2 friends who work for com ed that referred me. I applied the day after Thanksgiving, so I'm thinking maybe I was a little late. I heard over 6 thousand people applied recently for these meter reader jobs that opened up a few months ago. How did you get your foot in the door?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

Nick in Cary, Illinois said: Hey Alec, I recently applied at Com ed and did not even get an interview. I have 2 friends who work for com ed that referred me. I applied the day after Thanksgiving, so I'm thinking maybe I was a little late. I heard over 6 thousand people applied recently for these meter reader jobs that opened up a few months ago. How did you get your foot in the door?

I applied probably back in October 2011 and was contacted via e-mail to take a test. I took the test on 12.13.11 and found out 3 weeks later that I passed. I do know 2 people as well but have yet to use there names, not sure or when I'll need to. It's been 2 months since the test and over 6 weeks since the reply. I have no idea what to expect or if I'll ever get a call for the interview. If 6,000 is accurate, I'm not going to hold my breathe?...? Let me know how it goes and I'll do the same, GOOD LUCK!!

Justin in Aurora, Illinois

29 months ago

Hello Alec, I was hoping you or someone could let me know where you were even able to apply, since there hasn't been anything on exelon's or comed's websites for meter readers. I also have 2 comed employee friends and they don't know where to apply, except through the exelon website. Maybe too late now, in light of just reading 6000 people have already applied. Wouldn't hurt to try though since my career was lost due to the economy, and really need something soon. Thanks, and will be truly grateful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

Got an e-mail this past wednesday for an interview on friday the 24th. Went to the interview and got offered the job about a hour afterward. Supposed to start March 26th??? On of the interviewers did tell me that they would post positions again around June. Not sure ir that will be accurate but I would suggest checking out the comed website weekly because the seem to be ready to go when they get the "go ahead". Goodd luck, I"ll send you details as they come about.

28 months ago

Alec Viramontes in Plainfield, Illinois said: Got an e-mail this past wednesday for an interview on friday the 24th. Went to the interview and got offered the job about a hour afterward. Supposed to start March 26th??? On of the interviewers did tell me that they would post positions again around June. Not sure ir that will be accurate but I would suggest checking out the comed website weekly because the seem to be ready to go when they get the "go ahead". Goodd luck, I"ll send you details as they come about.

Thank You very much for the response Alec. Already been looking on a daily basis at the website for openings. Look forward to any more information you can provide. Wish you good luck too

28 months ago

Thank you very much for the reply Alec. Been checking the Exaloncorp website on a daily basis for awhile. Look forward to anymore information you can send. Good luck to you too and thanks again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

Got some info that Comed MAY post entry level positions June-July?????????? If I learn of more I'll do what I can to let you know. Take care, thanks and best of luck.

26 months ago

Alec Viramontes in Plainfield, Illinois said: Got some info that Comed MAY post entry level positions June-July?????????? If I learn of more I'll do what I can to let you know. Take care, thanks and best of luck.

Hello Alec, do you know anything about how temporary ComEd meter reader jobs work. There is one opening, but I needed to know if this is a necessary step before being hired on permanently, before I apply for this. Do you know if they hire everyone this way now for meter reader jobs? Did they hire you starting as a temp, or permanent meter reader immediately? PLEASE let me know asap. Your response will be greatly appreciated.

26 months ago

Justin-
From my experience yes, temporary is the required step. And unfortunately as you know, no guarantee. Although the odds will be in your favor to be permanent if you go by the rules and there a perm positions available.I hope this to be helpful, get back to me if you think of other questions and I will do my best to help. Good luck in your process.

26 months ago

Alec Viramontes in Plainfield, Illinois said: Justin-
From my experience yes, temporary is the required step. And unfortunately as you know, no guarantee. Although the odds will be in your favor to be permanent if you go by the rules and there a perm positions available.I hope this to be helpful, get back to me if you think of other questions and I will do my best to help. Good luck in your process.

Hello Alec,
I was wondering if you might know, or could find out if ComEd is going to hire anymore meter readers in the suburbs, paticularly in the Aurora,Oakbrook, or any other surrounding suburban areas. They're hiring in Chicago, but with the unprecictable traffic from highway construction thats coming or already there, it could be risky, and I don't want to set myself up for possible failure (being a temp). Please let me know and thanks again.

Jason in Whiting, Indiana

26 months ago

Just letting you know, I went last week and took the Meter Reader test and the CAST test. The lady said as of now they are both required to get the temp position which starts in July, if you do well they will make you permanent after 90 days.An employee said they just started requiring the CAST test also, he said alot of meter readers have taken the test 6 or 7 times and not passed it. Starts at 18 an hour. The CAST test is not easy. Some of it was easy for me but I struggled on the math and everything is timed. I didn't pass the CAST test I think Math because I did really poor on the Math but they wont tell you the score just a pass or no pass. BTW I got to test because I know a long term employee of there's who recommended me. otherwise it takes forever to get recognized. If you fail the CAST test you have to wait 90 days an reapply an retake the CAST. I hope this helps some people out there. DEF do alot of practice before you take the CAST test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

mike in Tinley Park, Illinois

22 months ago

jason did you get your results back from your test. did you have and interview or get offered a job yet.

mike in Tinley Park, Illinois

22 months ago

i took the the test and passed also passed my interview but i haven't heard anything from Comed in 3 months so i was just wondering did they hire anyone who took the test in may yet. or do anyone know how long does it take to get hired after you pass your interview

TDot in Manhattan, Illinois

21 months ago

They are having job openings for temporary meter readers starting in January. They are doing interviews during October

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nick

21 months ago

TDot in Manhattan, Illinois said: They are having job openings for temporary meter readers starting in January. They are doing interviews during October

Hey Tdot. Are the interviews for people who have already tested? Or will they be accepting all new applicants?

Nic in Rockford, Illinois

20 months ago

Does comed call or email you if they are interested?

20 months ago

Yes. Unfortunately if you didn't by a notification now I don't think you will hear anything from them now. I passed the interview and waiting until further notice for thenext step (background check, drug test)

20 months ago

Did you have to take the cast test?

20 months ago

Nic in Rockford, Illinois said: Did you have to take the cast test?

You cannot get into ComEd without passing the Meter Reading and the Cast test. With other positions you will need other test to take. I went to the climbing school for ComEd this passed summer (2012). Because of that I believe I received a phone call for a temp Job with them.

Nic in Chicago, Illinois

20 months ago

How do you get into the comed climbing school?

20 months ago

Dawson technical institute. Overhead electrical line worker class. Look into it if you don't have anything going on.

20 months ago

So you are starting in January? What does the temporary part mean?

20 months ago

It is possible for me to start then yes. I took an interview and waiting for further instructions. At meter reading they start you off as "temporary". Most temps they make permanent. That's just the way they do it

20 months ago

Thanks for your insight I appreciate it.

DC in Naperville, Illinois

20 months ago

TDot in Manhattan, Illinois said: It is possible for me to start then yes. I took an interview and waiting for further instructions. At meter reading they start you off as "temporary". Most temps they make permanent. That's just the way they do it

What were the questions they asked you? i have an interview coming up and i am looking for any tips to help me.

TDot in Chicago, Illinois

20 months ago

The interview is a behavior based interview. I looked up most common questions for a behavior based interview. They should also send an attachment with a few examples of the questions they are going to ask. Good luck with the interview

Dc in Naperville, Illinois

20 months ago

TDot in Chicago, Illinois said: The interview is a behavior based interview. I looked up most common questions for a behavior based interview. They should also send an attachment with a few examples of the questions they are going to ask. Good luck with the interview

Can you give examples since so you said you already have been interviewed and you got the job. what did you wear? I'm just trying to get any help i can to get the job. Do you have any other tips.?

Tyler in Streator, Illinois

20 months ago

I had an interview on November 2nd for the January meter reading position and have yet to hear anything. I was just wondering if anyone else has heard anything?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

af42 in Bolingbrook, Illinois

18 months ago

I been a temp meter reader for about 11 months to all the guys starting in January be prepared to be temp for a long time without them telling you anything about becoming permanent it sucks but o well the starting pay is about 19 an hr a lot of walking and in all types of weather no matter what...as a temp no bonus no sick/vacation days no uniforms they gave me 2 shirts and 1 hat that's it and expect to drive your personal car daily unless you get lucky

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

They say the temp time is January to October this year. It does suck but should be worth it in the end

af42 in Bolingbrook, Illinois

18 months ago

Ya that's exactly what they told me and they extended it to now lol but ya it is worth it....do they put at a office yet?

18 months ago

Man that sucks lol. I'm sure it'll be the same for me then. I'm in Chicago south for the training but still unsure where they will be putting me. Did you get to sign up for any other jobs? Ex. (URD? Overhead? Office work?)

af42 in Chicago, Illinois

18 months ago

What training? And no I haven't put in for anything I haven't toke cast test yet and even if I did we wouldn't be considered cause were temporary plus all the senior readers are looking to be promoted so we will be in meter reading a long while

17 months ago

Has anyone received there test information back. They told us a week either way, but still haven't heard anything.

John in Griffith, Indiana

17 months ago

Nope, I was told the same thing. Haven't heard a thing. I figured I just didn't pass it. Its been about 3 weeks and the job starts in early March. One would think they would have called by now for the interview plus time for meter training.. Not 100% on it though..

Tom in Oak Forest, Illinois

14 months ago

I applied in Dec 2012, finally got a email for my test date in Feb 2013. Took the Meter Reader/CAST test in March 2013. With this said I have relatives who work for Com Ed. Passed the Meter Reader test but failed the CAST test. Meter Reader test is super easy. It actually tests you on things that pertain to the job. As for the CAST test it sucks! They send you a study guide which is very helpful but some of the things that are on the study guide aren't on the CAST test which makes a lot of people over study which can lead to a high failure rate. Study up on graphic arithmetic. These people telling you its nothing but basic math is full of s**t! I know a lot of people failed because there was an immediate "meter reader" job posting right after my group tested. If you fail you have to wait 90 days after your test date to retest and there must be an actual posting for the position. They don't just let you come in and retest in 90 days, that would make too much sense. So pretty much you have to repeat the whole process again..

12 months ago

Does anyone know when they are hiring again? Meter readers

Matt in Winfield, Illinois

12 months ago

I saw a new posting for meter readers.... I've applied probably 6 times and never was contacted... I wish I could get a call!!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.