What's the company culture at Expeditors?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Expeditors?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Expeditors?

Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous Poster in Gilbert, Arizona

111 months ago

Dress is their own definition of business, which for men mens shirt, tie, slacks, but no jacket. Upper management and sales people wear jackets. Women's dress has a wide range. No jeans. No casual Friday.

Sales people are the people that get promoted. Operations might lead other operations people, but never above a certain level.

Education means nothing at Expeditors. An MBA is no more valuable than a GED.

Each office is different. I worked in two offices. At one, the people hung out together fairly often. In the other they only did once in a while.

A typical day would depend on what position you were signing up for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

diggFan in Renton, Washington

97 months ago

I worked in the "IS" department. After three months, I knew this wasn't the place for me. If you are a sales person, you will love this company. If you are in IT, you will be miserable. I will quote a good friend of mine who had an interview with them, "Think Dilbert meets Hitler". After working there for a short period, I can say that my friends' Dilbert/Hitler description was spot on. And don't get me started on their creepy indoctrination videos and meetings. More time was spent learning what it means to be an "Expeditor" than actually getting work done!

I hear that this place makes working for Big Blue seem like working for Disney Land.

Expeditors is a great opportunity for someone fresh out of either college, high school or the military. In fact, most of the people I ran into fell into one of those categories. Coincidence?? I think not. Expeditors knows that they can't keep people with relevant work experience for very long. The IT department has the highest attrition rate in the company. Most of my co-workers didn't have IT experience even though it was an IT department. Talk about one big CF!!

Keep this in mind if you want to work for Expeditors. This is a company that really has no tangible product to offer. They are a freight forwarding company. This company sells customer service. Those that do not consider themselves salesmen or saleswomen will not fit in. Oh... and lady's; don't get caught wearing open toed shoes! You will be pulled aside.

With all that said I must say this... Most of my co-workers and managers there were really cool people. I loved going to Happy Hour with all of them!! If they are reading this now, there a chance they know who I am!! LOL!! Big ups to all of you!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lilly in Bellevue, Washington

85 months ago

I have a phone interview with expeditors for a QA position. I would like to know how the interview will be? Can you help me? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Xcoder in Seattle, Washington

85 months ago

Lilly in Bellevue, Washington said: I have a phone interview with expeditors for a QA position. I would like to know how the interview will be? Can you help me? Thanks.

I was in a qa dept there for a while. My interview was panel style. I was interviewed by 5 people at once. If you don't have any qa experience or IT experience for that matter, don't worry. They are really looking to find a person who is a cultural fit. You will get a feel for the corp culture the minute you walk through those glass doors on the 12th floor. The only really technical question they asked me went like this...

They gave me a piece of paper with the picture of a website on it and asked how would I test this website. Yawn. They even left the room and let me draft a test plan without the pressure of gazing eyes.

My advice...
1. As you are speaking in the panel interview, give each individual equal eye contact. One person will ask you a question but all want to hear your answer.
2. Don't forget to follow up with a thank you letter. They don't have business cards so try your best to remember at least their first names.
3. A good QA person doesn't need documentation or specs. While they are nice-to-haves, they are not always available. Especially in an agile environment. Which is exactly what their Java team is.
4. Dress appropriately! They are VERY conservative. Men wear ties and women are actually pulled into the managers office for wearing open toed shoes!
5. Learn to love happy hour. The corp culture is very old school. This leads to thousands of dollars blown on hard liqueur every Thursday night.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lilly in Bellevue, Washington

85 months ago

Thank you very much for your quick and encouraging reply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sonum in redmond, Washington

4 months ago

What kind of questions can I expect for qa position phone interview. I have no experience and have right education background

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.