ANYONE WORK MAINTENANCE MECHANIC AT FRITO LAY? WHAT'S A "SUITCASE" TEST?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (38)

A's in Oakland, California

21 months ago

Dante82 in Fort Worth, Texas said: I recently applied for a maintenance position for Frito Lay ,and was invited to attend orientation which consist of demonstration competencies in one or more areas of mechanical maintenance from the following groups Electrical - Servo-Mechanical – Pneumatics – Hydraulics – Plumbing – Welding – Machining - Electronics ! Could anyone that's been through this test give me some insight on the process please!

Hey did you get any info on this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Dante82 in Fort Worth, Texas

21 months ago

Unfortunately I didn't in time! I went through the testing process this past Wednesday 11-6-2013 ,and failed the black box test :( , But I was told I get another try at it in 6 months if there's openings in that position! I really wanted that job..been unemployed far to long!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

I'm sorry to hear that. I have to take the test next week. do you have any info as to what i need to study?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

Please any info would help me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dante82 in Fort Worth, Texas

21 months ago

Thanks! If you have a lot of knowledge in Electrical your good to go man! I do remember the first part of the test is being able to wire a three phase motor !! Second part I remember having to connect the right wires to power a small motherboard fan!Each part is timed also! Good luck ,and hope this helps!The pays is awesome if your hired!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

Dante82 in Fort Worth, Texas said: Thanks! If you have a lot of knowledge in Electrical your good to go man! I do remember the first part of the test is being able to wire a three phase motor !! Second part I remember having to connect the right wires to power a small motherboard fan!Each part is timed also! Good luck ,and hope this helps!The pays is awesome if your hired!!

Did the 3 phase motor have 9 wires?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ryan79 in Delano, California

15 months ago

Were the wires numbered?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JD in Raleigh, North Carolina

15 months ago

I recently took the test, passed, interviewed as was just hired on as a mobile mech for the raliegh area. Looking forward to the job as the job i have now isn't what i expected coming out out of the military. Any other mechanics out there have any input? im sure ill be seeing you soon

JOJO in Victorville, California

14 months ago

Once your hired they will help u get trained. So don't worry your good to go and the only thing with frito is seniority. Good company to work for under PEPSICO.

rq in Garland, Texas

11 months ago

Dante82 in Fort Worth, Texas said: I recently applied for a maintenance position for Frito Lay ,and was invited to attend orientation which consist of demonstration competencies in one or more areas of mechanical maintenance from the following groups Electrical - Servo-Mechanical – Pneumatics – Hydraulics – Plumbing – Welding – Machining - Electronics ! Could anyone that's been through this test give me some insight on the process please!

Did you ever get the job? Can you tell me more about the test.. please. what can i expect..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

trevorbate1980 in Tehachapi, California

7 months ago

I've heard there is four parts to the test though only two have been mentioned. I have to take the test on Tuesday can anyone help with the other two parts of the test

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

John jackman in Mountain View, California

7 months ago

What are the other parts to the suitcase test? Wiring a 3 phase 480 motor and a fan to a mother board also some pumping application

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

7 months ago

John jackman in Mountain View, California said: What are the other parts to the suitcase test? Wiring a 3 phase 480 motor and a fan to a mother board also some pumping application

Do you mean hooking up a pump?

7 months ago

Yes and wiring a plc

7 months ago

I just took the test an hour ago.
4 part test pass/fail first part is wiring a 3 phase motor for high voltage I would recommend studying the Wye diagram for 3phase it was the schematic they had.second part is fixing a fan on a relay With a screwdriver simple only one wire the third is a opoptic eye level also screwdriver and the final is taking out a relay and replacing it.the thing is the first test is pass fail and it's the wiring a motor.so get it down good!the test itself is timed for each section I thought it was a small amount of time for what needed to be done but hey.and the test is exactly what it says it's a big silver suitcase with 4 panels in it for the 4 tests.goodluck hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

7 months ago

7 months ago

6 months ago

Thank you John. I took the test and passed, was nervous for nothing it was all stuff I was accustomed to doing anyway. Thanks for the advice though

Daniel in Madison Heights, Virginia

5 months ago

trevorbate1980 in Tehachapi, California said: Thank you John. I took the test and passed, was nervous for nothing it was all stuff I was accustomed to doing anyway. Thanks for the advice though

I'm nervous like you could you please give me some details about test 2 and 3

Ronald Terry in New Caney, Texas

5 months ago

Applied for mobile mechanic in houston. Went to first interview and passed test. They called me in for second interview that went well. So now I have to call for a conference phone interview. Is this the last step?

Trevor in Tehachapi, California

5 months ago

Daniel in Madison Heights, Virginia said: I'm nervous like you could you please give me some details about test 2 and 3

Test two seemed harder than it looked. You have to hook 7 up a fan motor and make it work by switching on a proximity switch (hint there is only one wire not connected) test three was checking voltage across two connections (you only get one try, but if you know how to use a voltage tester it's pretty easy.
Test 4 was the easiest, you have to make a photoeye work by adjusting the sensitivity

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff Henley in Rustburg, Virginia

4 months ago

Trevor in Tehachapi, California said: Test two seemed harder than it looked. You have to hook 7 up a fan motor and make it work by switching on a proximity switch (hint there is only one wire not connected) test three was checking voltage across two connections (you only get one try, but if you know how to use a voltage tester it's pretty easy.
Test 4 was the easiest, you have to make a photoeye work by adjusting the sensitivity

Are you talking about 480 volts or a loop current?? Which meter did they give you a 720 fluke

Breeze in Chicago, Illinois

2 months ago

trevorbate1980 in Tehachapi, California said: Thank you John. I took the test and passed, was nervous for nothing it was all stuff I was accustomed to doing anyway. Thanks for the advice though

What does the regular interview consist of? Do they train you if needed?

Trevor in Tehachapi, California

2 months ago

They do train you but you have to have a lot of knowledge on basic machine maintenance and facilities because they expect their mechanics to do it all, welding, maintenance and building

Anna in Ceres, California

2 months ago

Trevor in Tehachapi, California said: They do train you but you have to have a lot of knowledge on basic machine maintenance and facilities because they expect their mechanics to do it all, welding, maintenance and building

Hi, I applied for packer position in modesto California. I had a one on one interview and had my background check done and it's been cleared. How long did you have to wait for the drug test and physical? I haven't heard anything back in atleast a month.

Anna in Ceres, California

2 months ago

Anna in Ceres, California said: Hi, I applied for packer position in modesto California. I had a one on one interview and had my background check done and it's been cleared. How long did you have to wait for HR TO contact you to take the drug test and physical? I haven't heard anything back in atleast a month.

How long is the whole process?

iamJingJing in California

2 months ago

Anna in Ceres, California said: Hi, I applied for packer position in modesto California. I had a one on one interview and had my background check done and it's been cleared. How long did you have to wait for the drug test and physical? I haven't heard anything back in atleast a month.

I also applied for packer position in Modesto on April and they had me come in for drug test last week. I've heard the hiring process could take a few weeks. Mine took about 6 weeks so you'll probably hear from them soon.

Ann in Ceres, California

2 months ago

Iamjingjing When did you apply in April? I had my background done on the 27th of April. I haven't heard anything from them at all

Ann in Ceres, California

2 months ago

Ann in Ceres, California said: Iamjingjing When did you apply in April? I had my background done on the 27th of April. I haven't heard anything from them at all

When did you apply in April? I had my background done on the 27th of April. Still haven't heard anything. My background is cleared. Where did they send you to take a background check?

Ann in Ceres, California

2 months ago

I mean where did the sent you for a physical

2 months ago

Ann in Ceres, California said: I mean where did the sent you for a physical

Hi, Ann! I applied on 3rd week of April and they conducted my background check the day after my interview (April 20th). They didn't mention anything about physical.

Ann in Ceres, California

2 months ago

iamJingJing in California said: Hi, Ann! I applied on 3rd week of April and they conducted my background check the day after my interview (April 20th). They didn't mention anything about physical.

Oh ok thanks for the reply. So mine was a week after yours I hope HR call me soon.

Ann in Ceres, California

2 months ago

Ann in Ceres, California said: Oh ok thanks for the reply. So mine was a week after yours I hope HR call me soon.

Hi Iamjingjing did you get hired after your drug test yet?

2 months ago

Ann in Ceres, California said: Hi Iamjingjing did you get hired after your drug test yet?

Hi, Ann! Yeah, I got hired two weeks ago. Have you heard from them?

unfadeableone@gmail.com in Bakersfield, California

1 month ago

John jackman in Mountain View, California said: I just took the test an hour ago.
4 part test pass/fail first part is wiring a 3 phase motor for high voltage I would recommend studying the Wye diagram for 3phase it was the schematic they had.second part is fixing a fan on a relay With a screwdriver simple only one wire the third is a opoptic eye level also screwdriver and the final is taking out a relay and replacing it.the thing is the first test is pass fail and it's the wiring a motor.so get it down good!the test itself is timed for each section I thought it was a small amount of time for what needed to be done but hey.and the test is exactly what it says it's a big silver suitcase with 4 panels in it for the 4 tests.goodluck hope this helps.

i applied at the frito lay off I5 n hwy58 do u no any info on their black box exam

1 month ago

Dante82 in Fort Worth, Texas said: Thanks! If you have a lot of knowledge in Electrical your good to go man! I do remember the first part of the test is being able to wire a three phase motor !! Second part I remember having to connect the right wires to power a small motherboard fan!Each part is timed also! Good luck ,and hope this helps!The pays is awesome if your hired!![/QUOTE

are the wires numbered already or do you have to find the numbers… do you just pair up 4&7 5&8 6&9 n leave 123 alone or do u connect 123 to something/power???

1 month ago

John jackman in Mountain View, California said: I just took the test an hour ago.

Are the wires numbered already or do u have to locate the wires??? i have the exam in a few hrs any heads up will work…

Lamar in Macon, Georgia

1 month ago

I just sent in my resume and awaiting to for an email to take the test in Ga. I have been studying up on 480v to get prepared for the test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.